What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Lottery ticket (1 Viewer)

allgar

Footballguy
Obviously top talent is already gone, but are there lottery ticket WRs out there who you think could be fantasy relevant for the playoffs?

Lottery ticket = a player who could become an every week threat to be a WR2 (if not an occasional WR1)

Some of my thoughts (people on our waiver wire) in no particular order:

• Martavis Bryant - great talent, something to prove? but will he get the ball, crowded WR corps with AB hogging targets and JuJu emerging
  • Curtis Samuel - fantastic playoff schedule and the clear number two, Cam can't throw this year
  • Davante Adams - likely the number one receiver on his team rest of season, lots of targets, but do they have any value, poor playoff schedule
  • Jaremy Maclin - top guy, Flacco can't throw the ball this year, good playoff matchups
  • Rishard Mathews - solid playoff matchups, this offense looks primed to round into shape, Corey Davis around moves coverage away from him
  • Josh Doctson - getting a lot of redzone targets, lousy playoff schedule
  • Jameison Crowder - will get a lot of targets, lousy playoff schedule
  • Mohamed Sanu - gets plenty of red zone targets and catches
  • Josh Gordon and Corey Coleman - someone has to catch the ball... don't they? Both have elite skill and decent playoffs
  • Marqise Lee (already rostered) - top receiver on a team where the offense seems to be turning around, lots of targets, good skill, middling playoff schedule
I'd be prepared to roster two lottery tickets (Marqise Lee  is already rostered but willing to change up) and I'll be dropping New England Defense next week to open up a slot. Also leaning towards Rishard Mathews.

I'm 8-1 - League is 10 team Standard scoring / redraft / 1 QB - 2 RB - 2 WR - 1 Flex - 1 TE - 1 K - 1 DST

QB: Goff, Mariota, Roethlissberger (I know rostering this many QBs is odd, but truth is I love the playoffs for all of these guys, and if I can keep them away from opponents I will)

RB: L. Bell, Ingram, Jordan Howard, Woodhead

WRs: Crabtree, Marvin Jones Jr., Sterling Shepard and Marqise Lee

TE: Engram

K: Zuerlein

DST: Baltimore and New England

In order for this lottery ticket to hit he has to outperform Crabtree or Marvin Jones....otherwise why would you play him (assuming you play 3 RB's based on your roster).  That being said I wouldn't look to a guy like Maclin or Crowder because there really isn't any reason you would start one of them over Crabtree/Jones barring injury.  You know what they are and sure they might have a decent game but you never know when that would happen.

I would look for a guy like Coleman (I don't think Gordon will do anything and wouldn't consider him) or Bryant.  If they click they have big upside.  Those would be my two tickets in your shoes.

In order for this lottery ticket to hit he has to outperform Crabtree or Marvin Jones....otherwise why would you play him (assuming you play 3 RB's based on your roster).  That being said I wouldn't look to a guy like Maclin or Crowder because there really isn't any reason you would start one of them over Crabtree/Jones barring injury.  You know what they are and sure they might have a decent game but you never know when that would happen.

I would look for a guy like Coleman (I don't think Gordon will do anything and wouldn't consider him) or Bryant.  If they click they have big upside.  Those would be my two tickets in your shoes.
Good advice. You don't think Rishard Mathews or Marqise Lee could be worthwhile? My gut keeps yelling Martavis Bryant at me for sure, but I'm concerned about Coleman, they just can't throw the ball there. I drafted Coleman in both my leagues, I really like the dude, but dang, he's just got nothing going on offense.

Good advice. You don't think Rishard Mathews or Marqise Lee could be worthwhile? My gut keeps yelling Martavis Bryant at me for sure, but I'm concerned about Coleman, they just can't throw the ball there. I drafted Coleman in both my leagues, I really like the dude, but dang, he's just got nothing going on offense.
Browns are always losing so they will throw the ball.  Coleman is much, much better than what has been there all year.  I think he is worth the dart throw and if he doesn't pan out he is easy to cut.

Matthews is a bit of a worry for me because I wonder if Davis will start taking targets away from him dropping his floor quite a bit.  The value of Matthews so far has been a fairly high floor as he gets a lot of targets.  If the targets start getting diminished that may drop his floor making him not fit the need it looks like you have. 

You have a solid roster with nice flex plays. You can pick one of the higher upside plays like Gordon and Bryant, and a safe floor like Sanu and Maclin. 

But overall I dont see them starting unless things change as the season progresses or a very good matchup. 

I'd be all over Sanu out of that group. Even without Julio being somewhat gimpy he could perform well any week.

I'd be all over Sanu out of that group. Even without Julio being somewhat gimpy he could perform well any week.
Right, he COULD perform well any week but are you going to play him on that chance over the other starters he has?  Probably not.  I don't see him as being a guy that if he hits will be instant starter because he has already hit and you know what he is.  A solid WR3 with some WR2 upside at times. 

Right, he COULD perform well any week but are you going to play him on that chance over the other starters he has?  Probably not.  I don't see him as being a guy that if he hits will be instant starter because he has already hit and you know what he is.  A solid WR3 with some WR2 upside at times. 
In the flex position he could easily be played every week over his other guys.

Since I assume every week, you're starting Bell and Ingram for RB, Crabtree for WR, the question is your 2nd WR and Flex. Jordan Howard probably has your flex most weeks.

So, that leaves your 2nd WR and rotate Flex with Howard.

Marvin Jones is probably better than all of those choices.

Since you're 8-1 and have a good team, you are just seeing if there's any matchups that would be better than Marvin Jones or Howard, and emergency injury replacements.

If there are no better replacements than Jones or Howard during their tougher matchups, then you could play defensive and pick up a "lottery player" in the sense of a high ceiling player who you'd rather have on your bench in playoffs vs someone else.

After all, there isn't a huge difference in standard scoring among those guys you listed. So who has the highest ceiling? I think it goes Gordon, Coleman, Doctson and Bryant.

If you want to really delve into the matchups and see who has a consistent floor, then go with Matthews, Sanu or Maclin (I'd rather have any of them over M. Lee). But again, at 8-1 I'd be fine with starting Crabtree, Marvin Jones and Howard every week (sorry, I didn't look at if any of them have byes this week or next, or if any have terrible matchups rest of year).

Can you or anyone else in thread weight in on mine?

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/762567-who-wins-this-trade/

Gally said:
Browns are always losing so they will throw the ball.  Coleman is much, much better than what has been there all year.  I think he is worth the dart throw and if he doesn't pan out he is easy to cut.

Matthews is a bit of a worry for me because I wonder if Davis will start taking targets away from him dropping his floor quite a bit.  The value of Matthews so far has been a fairly high floor as he gets a lot of targets.  If the targets start getting diminished that may drop his floor making him not fit the need it looks like you have. 
Agree with the analysis especially about the impact of Davis. 

Since I assume every week, you're starting Bell and Ingram for RB, Crabtree for WR, the question is your 2nd WR and Flex. Jordan Howard probably has your flex most weeks.

So, that leaves your 2nd WR and rotate Flex with Howard.

Marvin Jones is probably better than all of those choices.

Since you're 8-1 and have a good team, you are just seeing if there's any matchups that would be better than Marvin Jones or Howard, and emergency injury replacements.

If there are no better replacements than Jones or Howard during their tougher matchups, then you could play defensive and pick up a "lottery player" in the sense of a high ceiling player who you'd rather have on your bench in playoffs vs someone else.

After all, there isn't a huge difference in standard scoring among those guys you listed. So who has the highest ceiling? I think it goes Gordon, Coleman, Doctson and Bryant.

If you want to really delve into the matchups and see who has a consistent floor, then go with Matthews, Sanu or Maclin (I'd rather have any of them over M. Lee). But again, at 8-1 I'd be fine with starting Crabtree, Marvin Jones and Howard every week (sorry, I didn't look at if any of them have byes this week or next, or if any have terrible matchups rest of year).

Can you or anyone else in thread weight in on mine?

https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/762567-who-wins-this-trade/
Thanks Spectrum that is great analysis. Yes we are talking mostly about my 2nd WR position. My primary concern is weeks 12 and 13 where both Jones and Crabtree have some tough matchups. I'll focus on those weeks. Pittsburgh looks good during those weeks so Bryant might be my play, but then again so does ATL so Sanu could make some sense, and honestly so does Marqise Lee (Indy in week 12 and SF in week 16 is pretty sweet). 

I'll keep giving it some thought, thanks to all for their very good input. It's helped me alot.

Users who are viewing this thread