What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jaylen Waddle, MIA (1 Viewer)

Everybody talking about how good he’s gonna be, but nobody talking about how he’s not even practicing with a soft tissue injury.

Color me concerned.

Everybody talking about how good he’s gonna be, but nobody talking about how he’s not even practicing with a soft tissue injury.

Color me concerned.
Yeah it would be really nice to see reports this week that he's practicing near full speed.

Color me concerned.
Yeah it would be really nice to see reports this week that he's practicing near full speed.
Being real cautious with him. Coach says he would have played Full-Go this past Sunday. Relax, they're taking it easy on him until the season starts and it sounds like Phins must have big plans for him wanting to rest him so much.

Last edited:
Per Barry Jackson of the Miami Herald, Waddle should be good to go on Sunday vs the Patriots. I doubt if he receives as many targets as last year, although his depth of target should increase.

>>Here and practicing. McDaniel said he will be fine for Sunday.<<

How how are people putting him this year with Hill in town? 15-20 range?
Not only Hill, but Cedric Wilson and the other WRs who are bigger targets than Hill and Waddle have looked good in camp and pre-season. With a new offensive system in place, there's a lot of risk in drafting him at 15-20. Others in that range have higher ceilings: Metcalf, Robinson, Davis.

How how are people putting him this year with Hill in town? 15-20 range?
My first question is where do you have Hill ranked? They can't both be Top 15 IMHO...not in an offense that has an OC that was brought over from LAC-Frank Smith and his title there was "Running Game Coordinator" and OL Coach, this guy wants to run the football and is a perfect compliment to what Rookie Head Coach Mike McDaniel brings to this offense with his wizardry pass attack.

-oh sure that's a little fluffy and fanboy since I root for the Phins but I have been watching closely as this entire thing unfolds in Miami, it has a lot of branches and tentacles but the bottom line is the coaching staff is dedicated to making life easier on Tua and at least getting some Jimmy G type "Team Results" which i am only talking wins and losses, Tua has more talent than Jimmy if you want me to not talk in riddles the entire time, I firmly believe that.

-Tua's issues are physical health if you put me on the polygraph...broken inner hip socket and should have NEVER been on a football field in 2020. Got clobbered in 2021 behind a turnstile OL that also called in sick many Sundays and left him out there to fend off the wolves, in this case he had busted ribs much of the season and could not put a lot behind his throws. This kid has never had the support system that he has currently from this coaching staff and I'm as critical as anyone you will ever come across on the Miami Dolphins, I openly hate the owner and have wanted to denounce my fandom many times. All that said, the coaching staff thus far is doing an unbelievable job IMHO transforming the offense.

I don't think people will recognize it when it hits the field. What Waddle's role is exactly I won't try and paint. What I will say is he was all they had last season, Parker was injured and unavailable much of the way, same for that Full of Poop the Fifth we paid a gob of money and watched him injured with the birdie finger all season long, makes you want to :x

-I hope that Waddle moves north of 10-12 ypc as he was a deep threat or turned short passes into big chunks at Alabama with this same QB I might add, that always helps. I think Top 30 is a safe bet and Waddle will be very lucky if he can enter Top 20-25 status with Tyreek Hill, Chase Edmonds and even Gesicki, Wilson, the rookie EZ-E, they are all going to get targets and looks.

I'm rooting for Waddle and hope the jump from Rookie to Year 2 is so big that he makes Tyreek Hill an afterthought and somebody Miami can move off of inside of 2-3 seasons which I expect. Please don't mistake this as me not being a fan of the Penguin, not true.

Cheers my God Man

17/111/159/1239/9 - Hill with Mahomes in Year 4 of their partnership; 2021
16/104/140/1015/6 - Waddle with Tua; 2021

I'm somewhat miffed at the lack of confidence in Waddle. Guy was drafted #6 overall in 2021 and put up 100 receptions his rookie year. Now he gets to face teams #2 CB with Hill opposite him?

Who was Waddle always compared to coming out of Bama? Hill. From my perspective, this feels like it could be more of a 1a/1b situation than Hill becoming a target hog.

I'm somewhat miffed at the lack of confidence in Waddle. Guy was drafted #6 overall in 2021 and put up 100 receptions his rookie year. Now he gets to face teams #2 CB with Hill opposite him?

Who was Waddle always compared to coming out of Bama? Hill. From my perspective, this feels like it could be more of a 1a/1b situation than Hill becoming a target hog.
I think the limits on Waddle are based on Tua's ability to support 2 top 20 WRs. I have my doubts, until I see how Tua responds under pressure without a clean pocket - where he was very bad in 2021. The oline and RBs are somewhat improved from last year, but that's a double-edged sword, as coach MM wants to run more and pass less. Waddle is fast, but Hill is world-class fast, or at least he was.

There have been plenty of great offenses that supported 2 stud WRs (Holt and Bruce, Harrison and Wayne, Carter and Moss, Monk and Clark, etc.) but they all had better QBs than what Tua has shown us to date. I think any doubt on Hill or Waddle starts and ends with Tua.

Tua has the Alabama connection with Waddle. If he can't support both Hill and Waddle, perhaps it is Hill that suffers.

Coach Mike McDaniel said Jaylen Waddle (leg) will be limited in Wednesday's practice.​

Onlookers did note that Waddle has ditched the leg sleeve he'd been sporting all summer, so we assume he's progressing well in his recovery from some sort of lower-body ailment. For now, we expect Waddle to be out there for Week 1 against the Patriots.
SOURCE: Marcel Louis-Jacques on Twitter
Sep 7, 2022, 1:11 PM ET

Very concerned of in-game aggravation. Lower body injuries from the off-season lingering into week 1 scare the heck out of me.

Divisional game too with the rival Pats - Dolphins need him desperately but want them to be cautious at the same time.

>>So quads were the mystery Waddle and Needham ailments.<<

>>Coach Mike McDaniel reiterated that he expects Waddle to play Sunday against New England (1 p.m., CBS).<<

From Barry Jackson. Officially limited.

Jaylen Waddle caught 4-of-5 targets for 69 yards and one touchdown in the Dolphins' Week 1 win over the Patriots.

Waddle was out-targeted 12-5 by new Dolphins WR1 Tyreek Hill, as Waddle didn't see his first target until deep into the second quarter. But Waddle made the most of his looks and caught Tua Tagovailoa's lone touchdown, a 42-yard hookup over the middle at the end of the first half. Waddle saw just a 15.2% target share in the opener and is unlikely to match last season's volume with Hill in town. He's still a mid-range WR2 headed into a Week 2 date with the Ravens.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Jaylen Waddle caught 11-of-19 targets for 171 yards and two touchdowns in the Dolphins' Week 2 win against the Ravens.

It was a career day for Waddle following a slow Week 1 for the second-year wideout. Waddle was clearly Miami's offensive focal point to start the game. The Dolphins used Tyreek Hill as something of a decoy -- sometimes in the backfield -- while Waddle continually found soft spots in the Baltimore secondary. He had a 59-yard reception in the first half and went on to catch the game-winning score with less than a minute remaining. Baltimore's injury-marred coverage unit had no answers for Waddle's quickness. Miami's commitment to the pass should make Waddle and Hill high-end fantasy options going forward.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Cannot cheer him enough on the final TD for my Phins, that catch was not easy if you go back and look, so many WRs drop that FBomb Football in that situation, incredible play by a playmaker. Plenty of room in that offense for both WRs.

Stud Stud Stud and one of the prizes from the 2021 NFL Draft

So glad they are using him down the field and not as a chain mover. Very sad aside from dynasty that I couldn’t get him in redraft

Jaylen Waddle caught 4-of-6 targets for 102 yards in the Dolphins' Week 3 win over the Bills.

With the Dolphins' overall play volume limited — they had 39 snaps compared to Buffalo's 90 — big-play opportunities were few and far between, but Waddle provided Miami's biggest with his 45-yard reception to set up what would prove to be the game-winning touchdown in the fourth quarter. He caught an absolute seed from Tua Tagovailoa over the middle of the field on a 3rd-and-22. It coasted Waddle past the century mark for the second straight week. Tyreek Hill was limited to 2/33 this afternoon. So far, Waddle has out-gained Hill 342-317 through the first three games of the Mike McDaniel era. Hill still deserves the rankings advantage, but Waddle's usage probably won't be as game-plan dependent. He is a high-floor, high-ceiling WR2 with a Week 4 date with the Bengals on tap.

- NBCSportsEDGE

ESPN's Marcel Louis-Jacques believes the Dolphins view Jaylen Waddle and Tyreek Hill as "interchangeable" No. 1 receivers.​

"Teams are going to scheme their defenses around stopping Hill; he's earned that in his career. Sometimes, that means he won't put up the explosive numbers we saw in Week 2," Louis-Jacques said, adding that Hill's 33-yard game against the Bills should be seen as an "outlier." Waddle in Week 3 against Buffalo posted 102 yards on four catches in a low-volume outing for Miami's offense. Waddle has seen 31 percent of the team's targets through three weeks while Hill has a 30 percent targets share. Surprisingly, Waddle leads the Dolphins with a 41 percent air yards share. If defenses continue focusing on shutting down Hill, Waddle has a good chance of outscoring Hill in 2022.
RELATED:
SOURCE: ESPN.com
Sep 28, 2022, 9:04 AM ET

Jaylen Waddle caught 2-of-5 targets for 39 yards in the Dolphins' Week 4 loss to the Bengals.​

With Tua Tagovailoa and Teddy Bridgewater each playing roughly one half after Tagovailoa was injured late in the second quarter, Waddle to a backseat to Tyreek Hill, who turned 14 targets into 10/160. Waddle out-gained Hill in Week 3 and has had two 100-yard days in four tries, but Hill is now out-targeting him 43-35. Not decisive, though it is clear. It doesn't really matter since there is not a fantasy league in the land where Waddle will ever be on benches. His upside remains sky high for a Week 5 date with the Jets.
Sep 29, 2022, 11:43 PM ET

Was kind of surprised, Teddy is a bit of a short range / dump-off / favor the possession WR type of guy at this point in his career. Sutton was basically completely ignored by Teddy last year for Jeudy once he was healthy so figured he would go towards Waddle once he came in instead of Tyreek.

Disappointing night, but it looked like the groin injury might have slowed Waddle down a bit in the second half. No reason to think that it shouldn't work okay with Teddy. If anything, I worry that the periphery pass-catchers get a boost. Would've been nice for this party to keep going for a couple of more weeks, or at least a softer landing. Regardless, get well Tua.

Jaylen Waddle (groin) returned to practice Thursday.​

It will likely be a limited session. Waddle was rested for the first practice of Week 4 as well and the Dolphins may have him on a maintenance plan. With Tua Tagovailoa (concussion) out for Week 5, Waddle's ceiling may take a slight step back, but Teddy Bridgewater is a respectable enough quarterback to keep him on the WR2 line.
SOURCE: David Furones on Twitter
Oct 6, 2022, 1:18 PM ET

Jaylen Waddle (groin) is questionable for Week 5 against the Jets.​

Like his running mate Tyreek Hill, Waddle was able to get in back-to-back limited practices to finish the week. Unlike Hill, this injury is not new and he's been listed with it since Week 4. Waddle is probably on the optimistic side of questionable considering he played through the injury last week, but he'll be another big injury to monitor on the Saturday night/Sunday morning circuit.
Oct 7, 2022, 3:58 PM ET

Yes. I've got a good feeling. Which typically doesn't bode well but hey, it's FF. Waddle against that Jets defense in a possible shootout is hard to forgo.

Cannot cheer him enough on the final TD for my Phins, that catch was not easy if you go back and look, so many WRs drop that FBomb Football in that situation, incredible play by a playmaker. Plenty of room in that offense for both WRs.

Stud Stud Stud and one of the prizes from the 2021 NFL Draft
So have you come full circle on him now? I thought I remember you having some reservations prior to the season in how good he actually was. Just curious on your thoughts as I have been able to catch any Miami games.

Jaylen Waddle was a full participant in Wednesday's practice.​

Waddle hasn't practiced on Wednesday in three weeks because of the groin issue. Opening the week with a full practice is a good sign that he is past the injury. It's possible he has been limited in recent weeks based on his stat lines. In his past two outings, Waddle has just five catches for 62 yards. Though his quarterback situation is up in the air, Waddle can be treated as a high-end WR2 versus the Vikings.
Oct 12, 2022, 5:36 PM ET

Teddy B the QB this week? I'll give Waddle another chance if so.
Skylar Thompson is the starter . Teddy, the backup QB since is still in concussion protocol, likely out of the protocol by Friday, but no practice until Friday's walk through. So, the team gets to evaluate Skylar one more time. I'm optimistic.

Jaylen Waddle caught 6-of-10 targets for 129 yards in the Dolphins' Week 6 loss to the Vikings.

Waddle's 10 targets were five fewer than Tyreek Hill for the team lead, but both wideouts went well over 100 yards. However, neither wideout has scored since Week 2. Waddle also had a bad lost fumble after a big first-down conversion in the fourth quarter. Waddle has crossed 100 yards three times through six weeks and is a locked-in WR1/2 with Tua Tagovailoa due back under center in Week 7 against the Steelers.

- NBCSportsEDGE

thinking it’s time to buy on this guy
I'd wait till the injury reports come out this week. Not saying that's a reason to not buy him, but I believe it will help the cost as their is a decent shot he's going to miss some time.
Was the shoulder serious?
No not serious and he might not miss the game, I'm just saying there is a decent chance of this happening.

Profootball Doc is speculating he'll play with a brace on his shoulder. Someone I just started following on twitter literally last week so I can't say how accurate he normally is but he puts him at an estimated 1-3 weeks. That report has some credence to me because McDaniel after the game speculated on his shoulder and said something to the extent of he'd be back sooner then later and if he had to miss a week or two they had some people to fill in.

Waddle yesterday said he was fine.

So again just taking all that into consideration I'm concluding he has a shot to miss a week or two and I am for sure looking at my teams he is on and preparing for the event he won't be available this week.

Dolphins head coach Mike McDaniel said he's optimistic Jaylen Waddle (shoulder) will play in Week 7 against the Steelers.​

Waddle is battling groin and shoulder injuries, and McDaniel doesn't expect him to practice much early in the week ahead of Miami's Sunday night game against the Steelers. McDaniel said the vibes around Waddle's health are good. Waddle's fantasy prospects are looking up with Tua Tagovailoa (concussion) expected back against Pittsburgh. Last week against the Vikings, Waddle went for 129 yards on six receptions with Teddy Bridgewater under center. He's a high-end WR2 option with Tua back in the fold.
SOURCE: Daniel Oyefusi on Twitter
Oct 19, 2022, 10:54 AM ET

Anyone just leaving him in the lineup and hoping he plays? Finding that hard to do with a late game start. Need some news by 1 actually otherwise I think I'll sit him

Anyone just leaving him in the lineup and hoping he plays? Finding that hard to do with a late game start. Need some news by 1 actually otherwise I think I'll sit him
Pondering the same. Really weird how this isn’t being discussed enough anywhere. I saw some tweet before Wednesday comparing the injury to a serious one Tee Higgins suffered last year, and then since then, nothing outside of McDaniel’s brief comment during the presser.

I have my other main WRs on BYE this week and would need to play a not so good option at over him at 1pm. I have no one droppable so I can’t just pick someone up from the later games either.

1-5 with extremely bad luck in points against category, so really can’t risk taking a 0 from a WR slot. Would be a disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread