What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Jameson Williams, DET (1 Viewer)

I watch a lot of college/SEC football and rarely have seen anyone run away from defenses like Jameson. He absolutely lit up Georgia in the SEC championship December 2021, the "all-time" UGA D on the way to Bama shocking them. It doesn't take watching many of his clips to know why he was a 1st round guy and as much of a homerun hitter as we'll see.

I just drafted him in two leagues - 12 team non-ppr drafts where I got him in the 13-14th of a 16 round draft. If he does nothing it costs me nothing. I'm happy to hold him through the suspension and even OK if he doesn't do a lot until Week 10 and later. The Detroit O seems perfect for him, and seeing how he he's looked in a domed stadium at Bama, that guy could be a league winner at year's end. Classic late upside pick that could pay huge dividends IMO.
Jameson has been frustrating to own so far - but hes cheap to draft or trade for.....definitely worth a shot. The talent is there

If I had a dime everytime that sentence has been typed in here over the last decade

I suspect it's all just a ploy to motivate tatum bell
Oh man, that name triggered my fantasy football PTSD

This is a Tatum Bell post, which is actually a Mike Bell post, which is actually a Mike Anderson post, which is actually a Reuben Droughns post, which is actually…

In all seriousness regarding Jamo, exactly how cheap he is depends on the format. He was expected to, and provided, close to nothing his rookie season. So if you got him in a dynasty league (like I did), it cost an IR spot for most of the season, and a first round rookie draft pick. If you got him in redraft, that ended up being a wasted bench spot. It gets harder this season unless your league allows slots for suspended players.

The frustration comes in having to wait a year and a half at this point and hoping the juice is worth the squeeze. It comes (in my case at least) at passing on more productive receivers from that class, as I had believed firmly Jamo had the best career ahead of him. I also underestimated Sun God, who I thought had unsustainable volume from his rookie season but has shown himself to be the real deal. We’ve seen the floor so far and it’s a long way away from the ceiling. But boy that ceiling is high and I hope he gets there and that he’s still on my roster when he does.

I feel like that argument can be made about a lot of people is the point. Guys like JAMO fail all the time (and arguably most of the time) and guys like Cooper Kupp go on to dominate the NFL

Sure you have to take your best guess but nothing about JAMO is a guarantee (and I'm an owner). I'm an owner with major concerns because he seems like a head case that doesn't have the talent to overcome that piece...

Josh Gordon please pick up the courtesy phone

He oozes talent and hasn't disappointed when he's been on the field and that's what matters most, yeah?
Didn’t he have 1 catch in six games or something like that?

In very limited usage. In those 6 games.
- He had a 40-yard run where the defenders looked like they were standing still.
- He had the 41-yard YD catch, but was a breakdown on coverage.
- Had Sauce and the Jets secondary burnt by 2 steps on 45-yard TD, but Goff severely under threw him.
- Had a real nice 65-yard YD catch called back on a holding versus the Packers.

He showed his talents translates to the NFL level. Just need to get on the field and get him the ball. Frustrating, but patience will pay off. Maybe not a huge fantasy payoff as his touches will not be high-volume, but for the Lions offense he be a nightmare for opposing teams to account for on every play.

Last edited:
I watch a lot of college/SEC football and rarely have seen anyone run away from defenses like Jameson. He absolutely lit up Georgia in the SEC championship December 2021, the "all-time" UGA D on the way to Bama shocking them. It doesn't take watching many of his clips to know why he was a 1st round guy and as much of a homerun hitter as we'll see.

I just drafted him in two leagues - 12 team non-ppr drafts where I got him in the 13-14th of a 16 round draft. If he does nothing it costs me nothing. I'm happy to hold him through the suspension and even OK if he doesn't do a lot until Week 10 and later. The Detroit O seems perfect for him, and seeing how he he's looked in a domed stadium at Bama, that guy could be a league winner at year's end. Classic late upside pick that could pay huge dividends IMO.
Jameson has been frustrating to own so far - but hes cheap to draft or trade for.....definitely worth a shot. The talent is there

If I had a dime everytime that sentence has been typed in here over the last decade

I suspect it's all just a ploy to motivate tatum bell
Oh man, that name triggered my fantasy football PTSD

This is a Tatum Bell post, which is actually a Mike Bell post, which is actually a Mike Anderson post, which is actually a Reuben Droughns post, which is actually…

In all seriousness regarding Jamo, exactly how cheap he is depends on the format. He was expected to, and provided, close to nothing his rookie season. So if you got him in a dynasty league (like I did), it cost an IR spot for most of the season, and a first round rookie draft pick. If you got him in redraft, that ended up being a wasted bench spot. It gets harder this season unless your league allows slots for suspended players.

The frustration comes in having to wait a year and a half at this point and hoping the juice is worth the squeeze. It comes (in my case at least) at passing on more productive receivers from that class, as I had believed firmly Jamo had the best career ahead of him. I also underestimated Sun God, who I thought had unsustainable volume from his rookie season but has shown himself to be the real deal. We’ve seen the floor so far and it’s a long way away from the ceiling. But boy that ceiling is high and I hope he gets there and that he’s still on my roster when he does.

I feel like that argument can be made about a lot of people is the point. Guys like JAMO fail all the time (and arguably most of the time) and guys like Cooper Kupp go on to dominate the NFL

Sure you have to take your best guess but nothing about JAMO is a guarantee (and I'm an owner). I'm an owner with major concerns because he seems like a head case that doesn't have the talent to overcome that piece...

Josh Gordon please pick up the courtesy phone
Jamo is not a head case. He is an insanely talented kid who gives 100 percent on the field. He has never had to really push himself in practice to succeed, but he is far from a head case. He puts in the effort that is required by the team, but is not driven to the levels to be a HOFer.

He oozes talent and hasn't disappointed when he's been on the field and that's what matters most, yeah?

- He had a 40-yard run where the defenders looked like they were standing still.
- Had Sauce and the Jets secondary burnt by 2 steps on 45-yard TD, but Goff severely under threw him.

He showed his talents translates to the NFL level. Just need to get on the field and get him the ball. Frustrating, but patience will pay off. Maybe not a huge fantasy payoff as his touches will not be high-volume, but for the Lions offense he be a nightmare for opposing teams to account for on every play.
So one catch in six games, like I said.

I was responding to a specific post. I didn’t say he couldn’t play or would be a bust. I wanted the Jets to draft him. I think he’s a talent.

I wish all the wrs and rbs out there got points for tds they 'almost' had.

A positive from the upcoming suspension is that it will give his hamstring time to heal and avoid the temptation to bring him back too early. The chucklehead part is focused on the betting violation.
There were numerous Lion players and staff members engaged in the betting activity he wasn't the only one like Ridley, who by the way seems to be bouncing back from his year's suspension in good form. The number of people involved suggests the Lions contributed to Williams' wrongful actions by not taking adequate steps to educate their players/staff and by not establishing a culture to discourage betting activity.

That being said he's off to slow start but certainly do not think he is doomed to fail. If it were me I'd take the risk of trading for him for a second. Lions have a lot invested in him and he will be given continued efforts to succeed until he proves otherwise. The concern is whether he has NFL hands and the sample size is too small to decide that yet.

We really have no idea what Williams is at this point, or what his future holds. Williams has basically been on the field as a player for only one season (Bama) out of the last 4. Played very little at OSU, very little last season, now missing at least 1/3 of this season.

What I heard on the NFL Network the other day rings true. Raw WRs need polish, detail and lots of reps. Williams so far had not had enough of any.

There are a ton of fast guys who never make it. Right now Williams is in a difficult situation being injured and then having his 6 week suspension start.

I hope he comes out on fire, but that would be a bonus, not expecting it to happen.
Just not set up for him to hit the ground running when he returns. Too inexperienced and raw. Best we can hope is to see improvement as he works himself mentally and physically into being game ready and gains more experience. Hopefully, he can have a positive impact toward the end of the season. Giving up on him right now for the long term wouldn't be a good move.
For local Detroit fans seeing what Torkelson is doing now for the Tiger baseball team is an example of why you dont give up on a talented player early. Torkelson couldn't hit a fast ball down the middle of the plate and last year was sent back to the minors despite being a #1 pick.
Williams needs some continuous practice time, coaching and game time experience to determine if he can be a positive impact player. Christian Watson floundered last year due to injury and had suspect hands and just took off when he was healthy.
I agree with this very practical perspective.

My growing concern is what is between the ears and also how he might react to increasing media/fan scrutiny.

Justin Rogers (Detroit News) reporting Jameson will NOT be allowed to practice next week.

Justin Rogers
https://twitter.com/Justin_Rogers
@Justin_Rogers
·
2h

Today was the last Lions practice before Jameson Williams can return to the practice facility. He'll still have the three additional games on his suspension, but access to treatment, team meetings and practice will be helpful when the suspension expires.

Justin Rogers

@Justin_Rogers
·
2h

Clarifying with some new info.

Williams can get treatment, attend meetings and do individual workouts with strength staff. He cannot participate or attend practices until the suspension is complete.

This is inconsistent with how the Deshaun Watson suspension was handled. The Browns QB practiced for 3 weeks before his first game.

Justin Rogers (Detroit News) reporting Jameson will NOT be allowed to practice next week.

Justin Rogers
@Justin_Rogers
·
2h

Today was the last Lions practice before Jameson Williams can return to the practice facility. He'll still have the three additional games on his suspension, but access to treatment, team meetings and practice will be helpful when the suspension expires.

Justin Rogers
@Justin_Rogers
·
2h

Williams can get treatment, attend meetings and do individual workouts with strength staff. He cannot participate or attend practices until the suspension is complete.

This is inconsistent with how the Deshaun Watson suspension was handled. The Browns QB practiced for 3 weeks before his first game.
If there is one thing the NFL office is consistent with, it's being inconsistent on punishment.

Justin Rogers
@Justin_Rogers
·
2h

Justin Rogers
@Justin_Rogers
·
2h

If there is one thing the NFL office is consistent with, it's being inconsistent on punishment.

Legal gambling >>>>> domestic abuse

Love how Sean McVay can kick a field goal as time expires to directly influence the spread, but this dude bets on a college team from his hotel and gets 6 games. Nice job Goodell.

Love how Sean McVay can kick a field goal as time expires to directly influence the spread, but this dude bets on a college team from his hotel and gets 6 games. Nice job Goodell.
how is that remotely the same? A coach trying to score the most points as it could affect playoff seeding, vs a guy betting on games?

(I agree Jamesons suspension was dumb, but there's nothing shady about McVays)

how is that remotely the same? A coach trying to score the most points as it could affect playoff seeding, vs a guy betting on games?

While 100% true McVay did not mention point differential when asked about kicking the FG. He rambled something smart sounding but not quite coherent about the opportunity for live reps or some such.

While 100% true McVay did not mention point differential when asked about kicking the FG. He rambled something smart sounding but not quite coherent about the opportunity for live reps or some such.
well then that's a good enough reason too. Giving his kicker reps and pressure kicks in real games. Who cares why he did it, I doubt it was because his brother's GF told him she put a big bet on them to cover.

Justin Rogers
@Justin_Rogers
·
2h

Justin Rogers
@Justin_Rogers
·
2h

Watson mistreated women. Not like he OMG BET ON FOOTBALL!!!!! or anything

For as long as the league has been in place gambling on the games has been in place.

The NFL injury report exists for only one reason..for the gamblers betting on games. Has nothing to do with the league or the opponents.

Think about it, NFL Teams actually get fined if the gamblers do not know what players might be hurt and not play, or are limited.

Players can bet on college game but they can`t bet from the teams facility. William made that mistake and was at fault. Williams gets in his car and drives out the front gate and then places a bet while looking back at the big Lion all is good.

As far as McVay goes unless he bet or had friends bet on the game I have no issues with that. Get your kicker some reps in real time, scores some points until the final whistle.

Just dropped in my 16 team league. But with so many injuries and bye weeks coming up, and not a deep bench, I don't expect to be the one to pick him.up. It does make sense if you have Josh Reynolds to pick up Jameson and drop Reynolds after game 6. Reynold's groin injury could mean 2 inactive WRs this week.

I think the Jameson suspension is stupid and they're inconsistent. Kamara got less games for assaulting someone.

I don't think McVay did anything that is even questionable. Points scored is a tie breaker. It may be the 7th or 9th tiebreaker, but it is a tiebreaker. Teams are often still passing towards the endzone despite the game being decided. He decided to go for 3 instead of 7. It is in fact your offenses job to score points.

Even if he had the spread in mind, is scoring more points illegal or even unethical? I appreciate the idea that if you intentially score less to influence a spread--that's a no no. But if you score more? Like if you intentionally perform better or seek out a better score--that's bad?

I struggle with that.

well then that's a good enough reason too. Giving his kicker reps and pressure kicks in real games. Who cares why he did it, I doubt it was because his brother's GF told him she put a big bet on them to cover.
I doubt that too. But I wouldn't mind if a team of forensic accountants did a deep dive into him.

The possibility of criminal enterprises getting leverage on players or coaches is hardly far fetched.

You don't know...haha

For as long as the league has been in place gambling on the games has been in place.

The NFL injury report exists for only one reason..for the gamblers betting on games. Has nothing to do with the league or the opponents.

Think about it, NFL Teams actually get fined if the gamblers do not know what players might be hurt and not play, or are limited.

Players can bet on college game but they can`t bet from the teams facility. William made that mistake and was at fault. Williams gets in his car and drives out the front gate and then places a bet while looking back at the big Lion all is good.

As far as McVay goes unless he bet or had friends bet on the game I have no issues with that. Get your kicker some reps in real time, scores some points until the final whistle.

IDK, there were about 20 blocked FG attempts in 2022. Even if it is less than 1 percent, why take a risk when you can just take a knee?

IDK, there were about 20 blocked FG attempts in 2022. Even if it is less than 1 percent, why take a risk when you can just take a knee?

What risk? Rams lose no matter what.

Injury?

Injury?

I guess an injury can happen on any play. Players have been hurt in warmups stepping on a football. So it could happen.

Injury?

I guess an injury can happen on any play. Players have been hurt in warmups stepping on a football. So it could happen.
Yes. Why risk injury for one "live rep"?

McVay is on the take from the mob. It's the only reasonable conclusion.

...after every other conclusion.

Yo what? Why would they take a knee?

Can't believe people think this is a thing. How often do teams that lose by more than 8 points take a knee on the final play?

Don't we see every game, teams down by 8+ throwing still with under 20 seconds left? Or teams down by 20 with 1 minute left, still throwing? Maybe I'm mis-remembering but I don't often see losing teams kneeling to avoid injury even when the game can't be won.

What about this thought: if they threw a hail Mary as time expired instead of kicking a FG, would people equally question that? Wouldn't it be the exact same thing? (Risking injury, trying to score when impossible to win, etc)

Can't believe people think this is a thing. How often do teams that lose by more than 8 points take a knee on the final play?

Don't we see every game, teams down by 8+ throwing still with under 20 seconds left? Or teams down by 20 with 1 minute left, still throwing? Maybe I'm mis-remembering but I don't often see losing teams kneeling to avoid injury even when the game can't be won.
Nevermind. I misunderstood. I did not watch the game. I thought they were up by 7.

Nevermind. I misunderstood. I did not watch the game. I thought they were up by 7.
Now that would be a 100% totally different story and a legitimate cause for concern. What actually happened was 0% cause for concern.

This has to be bait lmao
LOL.. I can see how it may be construed as such, but wasn't meant to be whatsoever. I was just making a statement about the dichotomy between the two instances, and how one wasn't even considered to be an issue. To me, the bigger question is: How in the world did the NFL know Jamo made the bet from inside the hotel? Do they chip these kids when they get to the combine or what? Unless he admitted to it in some inquiry, the invasion of privacy seems over the top.

What are you all expecting of him this year? Detroit adding him to the mix can only spread the field some more. But another mouth to feed.

What a delight to get two games reduced.

Gives us a chance who have been holding him to get a good look on how he might be used a little earlier.

Sincerely,

Captain Obvious

What are you all expecting of him this year? Detroit adding him to the mix can only spread the field some more. But another mouth to feed.
For fantasy, not much but for real football he can make the one or two plays a game that tilt the outcomes.

Exactly. And, if anything, it will help ARSB.

But for Williams fantasy prospects, he'll be a weekly boom/bust dependent on big, downfield plays. Bestball and GPP player, or if needing that upside plug-in to catch up to your opponent who has went ballistic on you.

I’d put in the lineup this week but the league software won’t allow it

I’m kidding of course

Nothing more than a boom/bust what-the-heck Flex to cover bye weeks - good upside and a floor of zero

He’s basically the 18th guy / WR6 on my redraft team

If he does anything it’s a bonus

Unsure, but happy we get to see what we got earlier. Helps to cut bait earlier if necessary, when folks byes kick in.

So he's on the WW in my league. Have to decide on how much to bid (or if).

One thing that gives me pause is I don't remember hearing any wowzas this summer about how great he looked in training camp. I kind of expected the same kind of drum beat that the Steelers offense generated all summer, but didn't hear much. And usually training camp talk is overly optimistic about a guy, but got the feeling it was pretty meh.

he is still basically a rookie.

missed most of his rookie year recovering from a torn ACL. He then missed most of training camp with an injury. so I think there may be some coaching needed before they give him a full workload.

His draft year scouting report suggested he could struggle with the Jam at the line as he is a smaller WR. apparently this was an issue with him in college at times. so I think the early going will be hit or miss. he might be worth a start against weaker defenses but I would expect him to struggle against tough defenses whose calling card is the Jam at the line.

Came within a whisper of dropping him this week for a one week waiver add. Decided against that, thinking I had a couple WR needy teams in the league who might have a long term outlook.

Glad I don't have to sweat the waiver now.

You can't insert him into line-ups yet... but excited to get him back on the field and acclimated to the NFL.

I ended up figuring out why I thought he had more than 1 NFL catch. He had this beauty taken away by penalty https://youtu.be/WU2WdVqGZok?si=bElYdKpCg45PMVhI and also a 40 yard end around.

As far as value this season, maybe? Lots of mouths to feed. People already saying Gibbs isn't getting enough rub. I would consider him a must start in games where Vegas has the Lions as underdogs or games Vegas has the total unusually high.

He will get open and catch touchdowns in this offense, but much like Gibbs he has to see the field. The luxury is if you drafted him, you probably don't "need" him.

I think he will show glimpses but otherwise be boom or bust bases on snap % and target share he will receive. But he is no doubt the most athletically gifted receiver on that roster.

Users who are viewing this thread