What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Dontayvion Wicks, GB (1 Viewer)

cdclopper

Footballguy
I'm getting mad Wicks doesn't have a thread yet.

Rookie out of Virginia, 5th round pick for the Packers. He's been playing a good bit of snaps so far. Went 2 rec for 40 yards and TD last game. While also dropping a TD. It happens.

Problem is you have: 2 promising rookies last year, a high drafted wr and te this year and running backs who can catch the ball. Can you hold a 5th round wr on a dynasty team? Sure if you want but even there Id have a hard time not finding someone else for that spot with more upside.

Problem is you have: 2 promising rookies last year, a high drafted wr and te this year and running backs who can catch the ball. Can you hold a 5th round wr on a dynasty team? Sure if you want but even there Id have a hard time not finding someone else for that spot with more upside.
Deep dynasty, and only a bad team in deep dynasty, IMO.

Virginia homer here...I agree that he'll be back on the bench once Watson is healthy. However, Wicks was projected to be a 2nd/3rd round pick in the 2023 NFL draft after an incredible 2021 College Football Season. The problem was that Bronco Mendenhall left the program after the 2021 season, and Tony Elliott took over in 2022. The Cavs lost literally their entire offensive line to graduation and transfer portal. Wicks had a horrific 2022 season along with his QB Brennan Armstrong who never adjusted to the new offense and horrible offensive line. My point is that this guy has a lot of talent. He can have the dropsies, too, but the Packers might have gotten a steal with this guy.

Packers WR Dontayvion Wicks was listed as DNP Tuesday with a knee injury and concussion.

The rookie Wicks has come on in recent weeks, totaling 91 yards in the Packers’ Week 11 win against the Chargers. He has reached WR4 potential but the likelihood of him playing on a short Thanksgiving week is low. Wicks’ absence means a few more targets for Christian Watson and Romeo Doubs.

I know he’s a “nobody,” but he’s the kind of guy I like to stash in dynasty. Picked him up a few weeks ago. Who knows? Better than picking up a 5 or 6 year vet who just has a good game…

I know he’s a “nobody,” but he’s the kind of guy I like to stash in dynasty. Picked him up a few weeks ago. Who knows? Better than picking up a 5 or 6 year vet who just has a good game…

He's a better deep option for them Watson rn, at least the last few weeks. He's only running 15-20 routes /g which is not really enough to be fantasy relevant but I will say his PFF grades have been pretty good for a rookie. He's a great blocker in the run game.

PFF grades among rookie WRs:
  • Overall 9th (8th if we filter by guys running 20% or more snaps)
  • Receiving 9th (8th)
  • Y/RR 5th
  • Missed Tackles Forced T2nd
  • Passer Rtg 107.6 8th
Plays outside 70% of his snaps where Doubs and Watson are the priority starters (Reed owns the Slot snaps.)

He was one of my dev picks before the 2022 NCAA season.

Wrote this about him before the current NFL season started.

WR Dontayvion Wicks, Packers - Interesting project for GB. Full disclosure: I drafted him with a dev pick last summer, though that league has since folded. I thought he was a day two talent based on 2021 tape. He had a nightmare 2022 for a variety of reasons. Still presents an interesting ball of clay for the Packers to work with. Plus size and shows some snap out of his routes, with some RAC ability and elusiveness. Quick feet and fluid. Long speed is just average though and he had a lot of issues with drops last season. There are some warts here to be sure, but the best version of him can be a productive pro starter, so I'm a buyer at all day in this price range.

I thought he was a day 2 guy based on his 2021 tape. Lots of good stuff in there.

2022 was a nightmare for him though. QB play dropped off a cliff. He got a case of the dropsies. Then there was the UVA tragedy where a couple of the WRs on the team got killed. Really horrible stuff. Wicks had a decent week at one of the all-star games and repaired his stock to some extent, but still fell below where he should've gone on pure talent and potential. He probably should've been a third round pick.

Concussions are an unfortunate reality of football, but it's something to monitor with him because he took a lot of monster hits in college. A bit worrying to see him get one already in his rookie year, but it doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Long-term, he'd be a dynasty flyer for me still despite his better-than-expected rookie year. One of those guys you grab in the double digit rounds and monitor. I think he's pretty good, but not any kind of lock for long-term relevance. An option in WR50-70 territory in a dynasty startup.

I didn't have the balls to put Wicks in over Hollywood Brown, but I was thinking about it. Then what happens? Wicks leads the Packers in receiving yards.

Wicks is a good player in a tough spot right now. None of Green Bays' receivers are great, but it seems unlikely Wicks will supplant one of them any time soon. He gets more separation than Doubs, but maybe Doubs is still better at chatching the ball in contested situations, idk. Wicks is a better receiver than Reed, but they like Reed as a Deebo Samuel.

What to do with Wicks? I guess there's nothing you can do but hold and see what happens.

I didn't have the balls to put Wicks in over Hollywood Brown, but I was thinking about it. Then what happens? Wicks leads the Packers in receiving yards.

Wicks is a good player in a tough spot right now. None of Green Bays' receivers are great, but it seems unlikely Wicks will supplant one of them any time soon. He gets more separation than Doubs, but maybe Doubs is still better at chatching the ball in contested situations, idk. Wicks is a better receiver than Reed, but they like Reed as a Deebo Samuel.

What to do with Wicks? I guess there's nothing you can do but hold and see what happens.
I'd disagree Wicks is a better receiver than Reed. How are you drawing that conclusion? I do think he and Reed are the two best guys on the team right now. But I'd have Reed ahead by quite a few metrics. Aside from draft capital, Matt Waldmans RP has him better against all defensive schemes; man, zone, and press (much better at press, esp. impressive considering his size). He's more versatile and can be used at every position on the field, he's faster, he's more agile, and he's shown more on the field at the NFL level.

Remains limited at practice​

Wicks (ankle) practiced in a limited capacity Wednesday.

Advice: Wicks had the busiest day of his brief career to date this past Sunday against the Buccaneers with Christian Watson (hamstring) missing his second game in a row. Overall, Wicks earned 47 of 60 offensive snaps and reeled in six of seven targets for 97 yards, connecting with quarterback Jordan Love for three plays of 20-plus yards.

Having said that, the ankle issue that capped Wicks to two limited sessions last week has followed him into Week 16 prep. Wicks is healthier than Watson and Jayden Reed (toe/chest), both of whom didn't practice Wednesday. If one or both of Watson and Reed aren't able to suit up Sunday in Carolina, Wicks likely would join Romeo Doubs as the Packers' top options at wide receiver.

The arrow is definitely pointing up for Wicks, but my concern is that there are so many other young promising receiving options there - Reed, Watson, Doubs, Musgrave, Kraft. Only one football - good for Love, but hard to rely on any one guy fantasy wise.

I read on Sleeper the issue is playing through the pain. Don’t quote me. I’m encouraged if the problem is a pain tolerance issue. Anyone else have a take on nature of the injury?

Wicks finished twelfth overall in PFF's rookie grades

12. WR Dontayvion Wicks, Green Bay Packers: 78.9

Wicks climbs into the top 12 off the back of his impressive performance down the back half of the season. Since Week 9, no first-year receiver has clocked a receiving grade better than Wicks’ 83.7. Over that span, the Packers receiver averaged 2.59 yards per route run and notched 14 receptions of 15 or more yards, ranking second in the class.

Wicks climbs into the top 12 off the back of his impressive performance down the back half of the season. Since Week 9, no first-year receiver has clocked a receiving grade better than Wicks’ 83.7. Over that span, the Packers receiver averaged 2.59 yards per route run and notched 14 receptions of 15 or more yards, ranking second in the class.
Wicks' emergence is why I'm going to be very cautious in drafting any of the GB pass catchers (including both TEs) in next year's drafts. A lot of weapons at Love's disposal, which bodes well for him, but may be tough to rely on any one receiving option (with the possible exception of Reed, who seems to be involved in the run game as well as another way to get the ball in his hands).

We've come a long way since Watson was basically the one and only guy to have.

Wicks' emergence is why I'm going to be very cautious in drafting any of the GB pass catchers (including both TEs) in next year's drafts. A lot of weapons at Love's disposal, which bodes well for him, but may be tough to rely on any one receiving option (with the possible exception of Reed, who seems to be involved in the run game as well as another way to get the ball in his hands).

We've come a long way since Watson was basically the one and only guy to have.
Yeah, Watson's star sure has faded.

I traded Watson in my dynasty league that I had him in, but I still believe in the player. I think he'll be a very good one. The issue now is that there are about at least three other guys clamoring for the ball in Green Bay next year. Doubs (who I consider the lesser of all the guys), Reed (who many consider the best of all of them), and Wicks (who will probably be third in the pecking order) will all be lining up to get theirs. It should be interesting to see how it shakes out.

I traded Watson in my dynasty league that I had him in, but I still believe in the player. I think he'll be a very good one. The issue now is that there are about at least three other guys clamoring for the ball in Green Bay next year. Doubs (who I consider the lesser of all the guys), Reed (who many consider the best of all of them), and Wicks (who will probably be third in the pecking order) will all be lining up to get theirs. It should be interesting to see how it shakes out.
Plus Musgrave and Kraft look like players too and should be heavily involved.

Plus Musgrave and Kraft look like players too and should be heavily involved.

Yup...and all these young WRs (Heath is another one to a lesser degree for now and Bo Melton is only 24 and flashed these past few games) and TEs are on cheap/non-1st round rookie deals so $ is not an issue right now (i.e. they can sit tight and not have to make any long-term decisions for a little while)...such an impressive job by the Green Bay FO...will be real interesting to see what this all looks like this time next year.

Bo Melton is only 24 and flashed these past few games

He certainly did. He was all over the field. They go like five deep now at WR. Plus the two TEs. Oh my is that an embarrassment of riches.

Whoever is in-charge of scouting WRs deserves a promo ASAP...none of these guys are 1st round picks or can't miss prospects...to be hitting at this rate and is no fluke...my guess is they found out what the Patriots do to evaluate the WR position and simply did the exact opposite.

Users who are viewing this thread