What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Curtis Samuel, BUF (1 Viewer)

Curtis Samuel caught 8-of-11 targets for 55 yards and one touchdown in the Commanders' Week 1 win over the Jaguars, adding five carries for 17 yards.

Samuel made a statement in his long-awaited return to the field, totaling seven touches on the Commander's opening drive while closing it out with a three-yard receiving touchdown. Samuel saw work as both a receiver and running back today, looking explosive at times out of the backfield. Washington relied on Samuel heavily in this one, as he accounted for five first downs while also leading the team in receptions. Samuel's ability to impact a game has never been in doubt, as his versatility was on display throughout this one. If the volume we saw today is sustainable going forward, Samuel could be in the conversation as a weekly WR2. We'll play this on the safe side by calling him a high-end WR3 heading into next week's game at Detroit, but this was an encouraging return for the sixth-year pro.
- NBCSportsEDGE
What's not to like here? My gut says go get him. A possible WR #2 player who will get a fair share of weekly rushes. Wentz very capable. It's WAS football team that scares people away from drafting them. Looks like a balanced team of talent on offense.
It surely looks like he’s going to be a big part of the offense. Seems like he’s a better version of McKissic and will take a bunch of those targets.

I didn’t know a ton of Samuel but heard some buzz and looked at his highlights from last week and he may end up being a steal looking back.

The way I see it…he’s got a Deebo type role, 4 carries and 11 targets. He was electric after the catch and Wentz loves the short game and he’ll be a safety valve. They will likely be in shootouts in the 4th quarter fairly often.

was debating about dropping Cooper or Toney and dropped Cooper. I have AJ Brown, JUJU and Amon-Ra. I figured Cooper has a higher floor and is safer than Toney but Toney has upside that Cooper doesn’t IMO. Was a tough call… We’ll see what happens…

Back to Samuel…He can be a PPR monster if things break right.

Could be a PPR flex go to. Although when Robinson comes back, it could throw a wrinkle in it. Also it seems like there’s a lot of pass options which is consenting. Samuel seems like he could be schemed targets which is nice. His depth of target though is Rondale Moore level though. He’s going to need a lot of touches to produce.

In other words I have no idea what to make of him.

Curtis Samuel caught 7-of-10 targets for 48 yards in the Commanders' Week 3 loss to the Eagles, adding three rushes for 13 yards.​

Samuel now has a team-leading 30 targets through three games. His usage is no fluke: Washington offensive coordinator Scott Turner is determined to use Samuel at and around the line of scrimmage as a dump-off option for Carson Wentz. Many of his touches have been by design, giving Samuel a safe weekly PPR floor in a pass-first Washington offense. With 22 receptions through three games, Samuel should be viewed as a PPR WR2 play in Week 4 against the Cowboys.
Sep 25, 2022, 6:25 PM ET

I didn’t know a ton of Samuel but heard some buzz and looked at his highlights from last week and he may end up being a steal looking back.

The way I see it…he’s got a Deebo type role, 4 carries and 11 targets. He was electric after the catch and Wentz loves the short game and he’ll be a safety valve. They will likely be in shootouts in the 4th quarter fairly often.

was debating about dropping Cooper or Toney and dropped Cooper. I have AJ Brown, JUJU and Amon-Ra. I figured Cooper has a higher floor and is safer than Toney but Toney has upside that Cooper doesn’t IMO. Was a tough call… We’ll see what happens…

Back to Samuel…He can be a PPR monster if things break right.
Could not be happier after 2 weeks. He’s exactly what i hoped he’d be. seems like on a touch basis he basically equals McLaurin + Dotson…I’ll be curious to check the stats tomorrow. Regardless, he’s a top 15ish wr with good upside….

Curtis Samuel (illness) did not practice Wednesday.​

Samuel's illness is reportedly of the non-COVID variety. He would seem to have a good chance to play in Week 5 against the Titans, one of the worst coverage teams in the NFL this season. Curtis leads Washington with a 22 percent target share and 26 catches through four games. He's a viable WR2/3 in PPR leagues going forward.
SOURCE: John Keim on Twitter
Oct 5, 2022, 12:27 PM ET

Curtis Samuel (illness) returned to practice Friday.​

Fox Sports' Ralph Vacchiano reports that Samuel will play on Sunday. Ron Rivera said that the wideout was "achy" today. With Jahan Dotson out and Logan Thomas questionable, Samuel and Terry McLaurin will have target volume on their side in Week 5's matchup against the Titans.
SOURCE: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter
Oct 7, 2022, 1:04 PM ET

What do we think Curtis Samuel's outlook is with Taylor Heinicke over the next four weeks.

Washington does not seem to be getting him the ball near as much as the first 3 or 4 weeks. Do we think Heinicke will be better at the short/intermediate passes or will he just throw bombs to McLaurin when he is in trouble??

Curtis Samuel caught 5-of-8 targets for 53 yards and rushed five times for 26 yards in the Commanders' Week 7 win over the Packers.

He was a key part of the game plan with Jahan Dotson out of the lineup, but Terry McLaurin was the clear No. 1 option for Taylor Heinicke. Samuel will be an uninspiring FLEX option when the Commanders take on the Colts in Week 8.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Curtis Samuel caught 3-of-4 targets for 65 yards and a touchdown in the Commanders' Week 9 loss to the Vikings, adding one rush for 16 yards.

Samuel's 49-yard score came on an ill-advised throw from Taylor Heinicke into triple coverage. A Vikings defender ran into a ref, which created just enough space for the ball to squeeze between the coverage into Samuel's hands. Samuel was again well behind Terry McLaurin in the pass-catching pecking order -- a theme with Heinicke under center for Washington over the past three weeks. Samuel's target volume has been suppressed in a Commanders offense that is far more run heavy with Heinicke at the controls, though he should cut it as a PPR WR3 in Week 10 against the Eagles.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Curtis Samuel caught 5-of-5 targets for 54 yards in the Commanders’ Week 1 win over the Cardinals, adding a six-yard rush.

Samuel led the Commanders in receiving, though Jahan Dotson and Logan Thomas both posted higher target shares. Terry McLaurin ran more routes. Samuel is a valuable real-life Swiss army knife, but it is going to be extremely difficult for him to carve out consistent WR4 value in an offense led by first-time starter Sam Howell.

- Rotoworld

He will become a free agent after this season. Will be 28. Still has speed and playmaking ability. His biggest payday will probably be his next contract. Plenty of teams could use him.

Matt Harmon
New Curtis Samuel breakdown is up on my YouTube channel. Let's dive into what he brings to the Bills offense and why he's a bit of a misunderstood player.

- Curtis Samuel's career results in #ReceptionPerception
- Why he had his best season with Joe Brady in 2020
- Film and RP evidence showing he can win outside in the intermediate and deep game
- Realistic expectations for him in Buffalo's WR room

youtube.com/watch?v=hByI7m…

I've watched nearly every game he's played since coming into the league (my 2 favorite teams are Washington and Carolina) and I think he'll have his career year this year. He really is talented, great top end speed and his short area burst is elite. Seems to have great balance and I don't have his stats handy, but it seemed like he rarely dropped the ball. He just wasn't utilized optimally in DC. He is one of my favorite late round targets this year.

I've watched nearly every game he's played since coming into the league (my 2 favorite teams are Washington and Carolina) and I think he'll have his career year this year. He really is talented, great top end speed and his short area burst is elite. Seems to have great balance and I don't have his stats handy, but it seemed like he rarely dropped the ball. He just wasn't utilized optimally in DC. He is one of my favorite late round targets this year.
My only real issue is the very high likelihood that the Bills take a WR in round 1 or 2.

FWIW, my friend Matt Harmon on Curtis Samuel now for Buffalo.

And this was the day before the Diggs trade.
When Harmon talks WRs, people listen. And if they don’t, they should.

FWIW, my friend Matt Harmon on Curtis Samuel now for Buffalo.

And this was the day before the Diggs trade.
When Harmon talks WRs, people listen. And if they don’t, they should.

Footballguys Staff Alum! And a great guy.

Users who are viewing this thread