What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Christian Watson, GB (2 Viewers)

Would you drop Mooney for Watson? Much higher ceiling with Watson but maybe lower floor too.
Fields seems to have eyes for Kmet. I might take a shot on Rodgers new crush.
Yeah, plus it's still such a low volume passing offense in Chicago.

Even over his amazing run (7 games or so) Fields is only passing 23 times/game.

Rodgers is at 34 and it isn't as if there are a ton of other targets for him.

He seems to be injury prone, which is my biggest concern. I WANT to pick him up on the WW, but I'm going to have to break the bank if I want him and I don't know if he's going to last the whole season since he's already missed 3 games this year and didn't finish 2 other ones at least, IIRC.

I think I'm going to pass. So for the rest of you reading this that means he's a 100% lock and will explode since I'm passing on him. :lol:

Why isn't Watson the top waiver selection this week? Looks like a 1a, 1b, with Lazard. Even with Cobbs coming back. Even with the early drops, Rodgers came back to him. And he had 8 targets to 4 for Lazard.
Matchup dependent. A poor man's Gabe Davis I guess.
Not sure they are taking that many deep shots going forward...will have more people aware and ready to take it away and its not clear he has the chops yet to work a lot in the intermediate routes.
If you have the bench...worth a flyer...but we thought Doubs would be the guy too.
Just hard to be consistent as a rookie WR and Im not yet convinced GB has this all figured out yet because of one game.
Great analysis

Lazard has been the clear #1 WR all season and, more important, he is Rodgers's most trusted target inside the red zone.

But this offense clearly misses Davante Adams and there is absolutely space for someone to step in and become the future #1 elite WR (it won't completely happen until next season, realistically) in this offense. IMO there are only two options, currently on the roster to fill that roll. IMO 2.0, Watson looks much more like that guy than Doubs.

I don't think any WR becomes a fully realized version of that guy this season but I think there is plenty of opportunity for some nice runs of high production even if, like all evolution, they will happen in fits-and-starts.

Last edited:
Got him this morning and there's a good chance I'm starting him.

I'm in a must win situation and need ceiling and I don't know if there's a better place to find it. TN is god awful against the pass. Read something somewhere that they are especially terrible against DEEP passes. Well, guess who that favors.

Could easily go 1-21-0, but then again, this could be the start of something big.

Go big or go home.

I'm in a must win situation and need ceiling and I don't know if there's a better place to find it. TN is god awful against the pass. Read something somewhere that they are especially terrible against DEEP passes. Well, guess who that favors.

Could easily go 1-21-0, but then again, this could be the start of something big.

Go big or go home.
Is Watson better than MVS who also had a high RAS score (9.27)? I think so... time will tell.

#Packers rookie WR Christian Watson says Aaron Rodgers and Matt LaFleur told him the same thing after his afternoon started with a drop: “We’re going to come back to you.” He says that show of confidence is what he needed.

Sounds like hes gonna keep getting fed, in the long ball game no less

This guy's release and long speed are borderline uncoverable if GB continues to force teams to load up the box to stop the run. Desean Jackson with size. I'm all in. He's in my lineup this week over several big names. I wish the game wasn't on a short week, but this is a must win for GB. He's good for at least one deep ball tomorrow, but I expect so much more.

A little confidence is likely all this guy needed to make a huge leap forward. You could see how much Rodgers loves him when he took that concussion. AR's reaction to what was just bad luck was telling. That's when I really got the feeling something special was happening behind the scenes, and it finally translated to the field last week.

The Christian Watson breakout happened in Week 10, and it was beautiful. Watson torched the Cowboys' secondary repeatedly, leading the Packers with a 40% target share, reeling in four of his eight targets for 107 yards and three scores. It wasn't a perfect game for him, as Watson let another deep shot slip through his hands, but Aaron Rodgers kept going back to Watson, as Allen Lazard was tied up with Trevon Diggs for most of the day. Watson has the talent to give Lazard a run for his money down the stretch as the WR1 in Green Bay.

Pat Fitzmaurice - FantasyPros - yesterday

ESPN's Dan Graziano reports the Packers "will continue to [Christian Watson] him a major part of the game plan going forward."​

Watson's early-season struggles with drops, bad routes, and injuries are in the rearview mirror for Green Bay coaches, Graziano said. "If he can stay healthy and if he can cut out the drops, the eight targets he got Sunday should be a sign of things to come," he added, referring to Watson's three-touchdown breakout game in Week 10 against the Cowboys. "Packers coaches are saying they're looking for different ways to attack defenses, and Watson's speed offers them one they didn't have in the first half of the season. They believe if defenses have to start respecting his speed, that will open things up underneath for Allen Lazard, Randall Cobb and the running backs. Don't be shocked at all if they take some deep shots to Watson on Thursday night against the Titans." Watson profiles as a volatile WR3 option for now. His weekly upside as a full-time player in the Packers offense means Watson should start in 12-team leagues in Week 11.
SOURCE: ESPN.com
Nov 16, 2022, 10:39 AM ET

Got him in two leagues and am seriously considering starting him in both. Both teams stink and I need to win to keep my playoff hopes alive, so I'm looking for upside.

League 1 (standard scoring, start 3 WR): other options are Diggs, Sutton, Pickens, GWilson
  • I have him ahead of Pickens and Wilson (would say Sutton, too, but he has that juicy LV matchup and likely no Jeudy)
League 2 (PPR, start 2 WR + flex): Olave, Diontae, DJ Moore, GWilson, Pacheco, Hunt, Burks
  • I think I slot him in at flex over Moore

Got him in two leagues and am seriously considering starting him in both. Both teams stink and I need to win to keep my playoff hopes alive, so I'm looking for upside.

League 1 (standard scoring, start 3 WR): other options are Diggs, Sutton, Pickens, GWilson
  • I have him ahead of Pickens and Wilson (would say Sutton, too, but he has that juicy LV matchup and likely no Jeudy)
League 2 (PPR, start 2 WR + flex): Olave, Diontae, DJ Moore, GWilson, Pacheco, Hunt, Burks
  • I think I slot him in at flex over Moore

I am Flexing him

starting WRs are Diggs Rondale Pickens

Just picked him up and dropped Pickens. I'm in the same boat as a lot of you. 1 game out of a playoff spot and I'm playing the 1st place team this week. I need a home run and I didn't see a better spot for it since I lost out on Boyd on the WW.

13th Rd in August
-Liked that GB had to use multiple picks or move up to go get him and they had a chance to swing on many others and decided to pass.
-injuries and the BIG DROP early sorta put him behind the 8ball

I had to let him go because that's how FF works out with limited roster space. Even 5-6 deep at WR in redrafts, hard to keep him.
League rules IR-top os the waivers that week, even a guy with a nice 7-3 record, lucky me.
Got him back, felt what we saw last week was certainly the kind of optimism I had for him
Doubt we see anything close to last week again this season but...
GB has nothing at WR, Cobb-Watkins and even Lazard to some degree, none of that stopped me from drafting Watson.
Doubs is a solid guy but he doesn't have this top end speed and separation that Watson has.

4/100 is very much the kind of game he can produce. He also can throw a bagel into your line up and he's a Rookie so a lot of growing pains, he's missed a lot of time and snaps that other rookies would have already, that concerns me. Still, he has a Hall of Fame QB desperate to try and back door the Playoffs, cornered animal is how I would describe the Packers right now

Starting him over Pickens for my flex. My team’s at .500 right now and need to start taking some chances this last month before playoffs.

Was high on him coming into the NFL draft, especially after seeing his combine numbers. His hands have warts, but you can't teach the size/speed combo and the Pack are desperate for play making. His college highlight reel looks exactly like his week 10 highlight reel.

#EarToTheGround #HandOnTheWire

Was high on him coming into the NFL draft, especially after seeing his combine numbers. His hands have warts, but you can't teach the size/speed combo and the Pack are desperate for play making. His college highlight reel looks exactly like his week 10 highlight reel.

Hands seem fine. Ball tracking and discipline seem to be the only issues I see. IMO the latter is easier to fix with experience. What I’ve seen is soft hands when he sees the ball early. I think this guy turns into a star if he’s able to work with AR for a few years.

Randall Cobb is eligible to come off IR this week and word from the beat reporters was that he didn't want to go on IR. I think he plays. What that does for Watson, I don't know.

I do know that Watson's medium range slant into the end zone was a thing of beauty and very different from the long bomb TDs he's had.

I was able to pick him up, but I think I might sit him one more week. I'm torn though.

The other encouraging part? Watkins didn't seem to factor as much as Watson did, despite Doubs and Cobbs being out. And Rodgers came back to him despite his drop.

Randall Cobb is eligible to come off IR this week and word from the beat reporters was that he didn't want to go on IR. I think he plays. What that does for Watson, I don't know.

I do know that Watson's medium range slant into the end zone was a thing of beauty and very different from the long bomb TDs he's had.

I was able to pick him up, but I think I might sit him one more week. I'm torn though.

The other encouraging part? Watkins didn't seem to factor as much as Watson did, despite Doubs and Cobbs being out. And Rodgers came back to him despite his drop.
Watkins is done. I'm surprised they're still wheeling him out there. He's seemed like a liability each time I've watched GB.

Quality of targets is more important than number of targets right now for Watson IMO, and anyone that can take attention off Watson in any way is a good thing. Especially if someone can occupy the middle of the field like Cobb can. Watson will get his if he can stay healthy. It may be a bit before he becomes a complete WR, but he will destroy man coverage in the meantime. With Cobb working the middle, and the running game starting to fire on all cylinders, it's going to be increasingly difficult for teams to roll a safety over the top every play to contain this guy. He will have his ups and downs, high ceiling low floor, but last week was just a glimpse of what he's capable of.

Hands seem fine. Ball tracking and discipline seem to be the only issues I see. IMO the latter is easier to fix with experience. What I’ve seen is soft hands when he sees the ball early. I think this guy turns into a star if he’s able to work with AR for a few years.
I can't quite put my finger on it but he seems to look a little unsteady - like he is fighting the ball a little even when he makes plays. He has all the talent but I am not sure pass catching comes natural to him. Am I hallucinating or does anyone else see this too?

Watkins is done. I'm surprised they're still wheeling him out there. He's seemed like a liability each time I've watched GB.

Quality of targets is more important than number of targets right now for Watson IMO, and anyone that can take attention off Watson in any way is a good thing. Especially if someone can occupy the middle of the field like Cobb can. Watson will get his if he can stay healthy. It may be a bit before he becomes a complete WR, but he will destroy man coverage in the meantime. With Cobb working the middle, and the running game starting to fire on all cylinders, it's going to be increasingly difficult for teams to roll a safety over the top every play to contain this guy. He will have his ups and downs, high ceiling low floor, but last week was just a glimpse of what he's capable of.
Watkins has been done since early 2019 but he is still good for one game and only one game per season.

every catch and target week 10 v GB
  • 1st Q 9:39 2nd & 5: 15 yard over the middle square in/drag, bad drop
  • 1st Q 9:39 2nd & 5 (next play): 11 yard out, another drop
  • 2nd Q 5:02 3rd & 1: 9 route, clean release by Brown (#3), near perfect placement, 58 yard TD
  • 3rd Q 10:46 3rd & 4: another 9, this time from the slot, CB Bland (#26) doesn't look back, Watson slows down to fool the defender, then kicks in it another gear to blow by him. Never looks back at the QB (which will tip off the DB & makes it harder to track the ball) but rather looks up for the ball. There is subtlety here that you don't see from a rookie, almost pulls it off but ultimately only one hand swiping at it. I actually thought this was one of his more impressive plays although in the box score it just looks like another deep incompletion.
  • 3rd Q 7:08 1st & 10: 18 yard pattern, looks like some miscommunication here, Rodgers expected him to break it off and throws it back shoulder, Watson doesn't see the same read option so the pass is 5 yards behind on the boundary. Timing pattern, this is the issue with rookies who are still learning their craft, could have been an easy pitch and catch, not on the same page.
  • 4th Q 13:31 4th & 7: trips right in a triangle, Watson is the wing on the boundary. Off the line he cuts across the back path of the other two WRs, then cuts upfield - he sold the route as a crosser and had already won the route - the CB (Bland again) tries to maintain inside leverage, and when Watson cuts upfield he has to flip his hips (momentarily turning his back on the receiver) to run with him. It's too late, there's already a gap, and when Watson cuts to the post the gap only increases. Rodgers drops a dime but this is Superior Route Running 401, upper echelon stuff. In the books it's a 39 yard touchdown.
  • 4th Q 7:06 3rd & 2: Packers are in shotgun 12 personnel, Lazard is in the Slot but on the LOS, Watson is the X outside him, Lazard runs a go taking the slot corner and Diggs drops into Cover 2, on the other side they're cleared out the LBs, Watson takes one step, hesitates to let the coverage run away from him, drags across the middle, simple pitch and catch for 3 yards and the first down
  • 4th Q 2:35 1st & goal from the 7: 10th play of a drive that started on their own 11. 3 A Jones runs, 3 AJ Dillon runs, short completions to Watson, Lazard and Lizard King, beautiful balance. Again it's 12 personnel but this time they're flipped; TE and the Wing (also a TE) both stay in for max protect. On the other side they've flipped roles - Watson is on the line in the Slot, Lazard is the Flanker outside him. Only two in the pattern because Jones stays in to block as well. From under center Rodgers play fakes a run to the HB; Lazard is running a corner. Cowboys are in a 3-3-5 and everyone on the first two levels + the Nickel is playing the run. Watson gets a clean release and forget it - nobody can stay with him, good two yards of separation on a short drag pattern across the middle. Touchdown number 3.
It was a lot more than "hey that guys really fast let's have him run far and chuck it." Kid has legit game IMO.

every catch and target week 10 v GB
  • 1st Q 9:39 2nd & 5: 15 yard over the middle square in/drag, bad drop
  • 1st Q 9:39 2nd & 5 (next play): 11 yard out, another drop
  • 2nd Q 5:02 3rd & 1: 9 route, clean release by Brown (#3), near perfect placement, 58 yard TD
  • 3rd Q 10:46 3rd & 4: another 9, this time from the slot, CB Bland (#26) doesn't look back, Watson slows down to fool the defender, then kicks in it another gear to blow by him. Never looks back at the QB (which will tip off the DB & makes it harder to track the ball) but rather looks up for the ball. There is subtlety here that you don't see from a rookie, almost pulls it off but ultimately only one hand swiping at it. I actually thought this was one of his more impressive plays although in the box score it just looks like another deep incompletion.
  • 3rd Q 7:08 1st & 10: 18 yard pattern, looks like some miscommunication here, Rodgers expected him to break it off and throws it back shoulder, Watson doesn't see the same read option so the pass is 5 yards behind on the boundary. Timing pattern, this is the issue with rookies who are still learning their craft, could have been an easy pitch and catch, not on the same page.
  • 4th Q 13:31 4th & 7: trips right in a triangle, Watson is the wing on the boundary. Off the line he cuts across the back path of the other two WRs, then cuts upfield - he sold the route as a crosser and had already won the route - the CB (Bland again) tries to maintain inside leverage, and when Watson cuts upfield he has to flip his hips (momentarily turning his back on the receiver) to run with him. It's too late, there's already a gap, and when Watson cuts to the post the gap only increases. Rodgers drops a dime but this is Superior Route Running 401, upper echelon stuff. In the books it's a 39 yard touchdown.
  • 4th Q 7:06 3rd & 2: Packers are in shotgun 12 personnel, Lazard is in the Slot but on the LOS, Watson is the X outside him, Lazard runs a go taking the slot corner and Diggs drops into Cover 2, on the other side they're cleared out the LBs, Watson takes one step, hesitates to let the coverage run away from him, drags across the middle, simple pitch and catch for 3 yards and the first down
  • 4th Q 2:35 1st & goal from the 7: 10th play of a drive that started on their own 11. 3 A Jones runs, 3 AJ Dillon runs, short completions to Watson, Lazard and Lizard King, beautiful balance. Again it's 12 personnel but this time they're flipped; TE and the Wing (also a TE) both stay in for max protect. On the other side they've flipped roles - Watson is on the line in the Slot, Lazard is the Flanker outside him. Only two in the pattern because Jones stays in to block as well. From under center Rodgers play fakes a run to the HB; Lazard is running a corner. Cowboys are in a 3-3-5 and everyone on the first two levels + the Nickel is playing the run. Watson gets a clean release and forget it - nobody can stay with him, good two yards of separation on a short drag pattern across the middle. Touchdown number 3.
It was a lot more than "hey that guys really fast let's have him run far and chuck it." Kid has legit game IMO.
Great breakdown, @BobbyLayne!!

I can't quite put my finger on it but he seems to look a little unsteady - like he is fighting the ball a little even when he makes plays. He has all the talent but I am not sure pass catching comes natural to him. Am I hallucinating or does anyone else see this too?
He's definitely awkward when you watch him attempt to catch the ball. You can tell that it's just simply not natural for him. I think that very first play of the season showed pretty much all of the pros and cons for Watson. Insane size/speed combo with deceptively subtle route movements that aid him in creating separation. He's going to hang on to some of the passes thrown his way and create some explosive plays. He's also going to continually struggle with drops, and some of them will be horrific in nature like that first play, until (if ever) he figures out how to position his hands properly and not fight the ball so much. I'm not confident that's ever going to happen with how awkward he looks, but his other traits should keep him on the field regardless. He just may not ever develop into a 10+ per game target hog if he can't prove more reliable in making those routine plays.

I don't see "awkward" on any of his 3 TDs last week. I see confidence issues and too much thinking. Where to be, when to be there, what to look for, etc. The game is moving fast for him right now, that's obvious. I don't see any awkwardness though. He looks smooth to my eye. This isn't a Troy Williamson body catcher issue. This is a dude that has good technique, but obviously has a lot going on in his head. That should go away incrementally with each week of experience. It's amazing how is athleticism is covering up his inexperience right now. He's a freak.

Yeah, what Jake said above. Not to mention he has probably heard/read that Rodgers and rookies are like water and oil, and he is worrying too much about making a mistake in front of Mr. QB Sir.

Go big or go home.
Looks like I will be starting him as well for the same reason. Short bench league. Byes. I either play him or lose him. Must win as well. But chasing "sure" points (an inconsistent wr3 or wr4) in a league with wacky scoring does not sit too well with me. Go big or go home - definitely my mantra with Watson.

I honestly think, and this may not come to fruition in a positive way, but as Watson goes, so go the Packers.

Nobody wants to say it and put that sort of responsibility on the kid, but we just saw it last week. Even now with Lazard, Watkins, and Cobb around, the passing game (and therefore the Packers and Rodgers) go as Watson goes.

If he fails, they fail. If he succeeds, they succeed.

At this point in their year, every game is a make or break. They can't hide him. I wonder if LaFleur knows that and will follow that up with action.

I honestly think, and this may not come to fruition in a positive way, but as Watson goes, so go the Packers.

Nobody wants to say it and put that sort of responsibility on the kid, but we just saw it last week. Even now with Lazard, Watkins, and Cobb around, the passing game (and therefore the Packers and Rodgers) go as Watson goes.

If he fails, they fail. If he succeeds, they succeed.

At this point in their year, every game is a make or break. They can't hide him. I wonder if LaFleur knows that and will follow that up with action.
I think you are correct to a degree. What this offense needed was someone to take the top off. They haven't had that deep threat at WR that defenses have to respect. Defenses have been packing the box on them and kind of giving the Packers the deep ball because they haven't had anyone to beat them deep. Sammy Watkins? Cobb? Lazard? They ain't scaring anyone. This is why the Packers drafted Watson in the first place. This is what they've had in mind for him all season. Last week they finally had him back healthy and it made a world of difference in their offense. He's not going to get 3 TDs every game but last week was just a taste of things to come.

Users who are viewing this thread