What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Calvin Ridley, TEN (2 Viewers)

You've been the luckiest person in fantasy football history then. 

I can't remember the last year I had where 1 of my 1st 3 picks didn't miss at least 50% of the season. I'm not sure its ever happened, even on several championship teams. 
Ridley has essentially been useless the entire season. What did he have, three games in double-digits in half PPR? Yep, and two of those just barely. That's horrific production from a second round pick. I honestly can't remember if I lost a first rounder early to a season-ender but I can't recall any. Sure I have but this one just hits different... probably because I have Pitts too and see how awful Ryan and that offense really is.

I dropped him late last week for DeVante Parker. Could not justify continuing to play with one less roster spot. 

I dropped him late last week for DeVante Parker. Could not justify continuing to play with one less roster spot. 
I'm almost there. Just can't take it if he comes back week 16-17 for the championship and my potential opponent got him before me. 

Redraft? Presumably. 
any idea what he’s worth in dynasty? just trying to decide if my Keenan and Amari for him and AJ Dillon was horrible. 

I'm almost there. Just can't take it if he comes back week 16-17 for the championship and my potential opponent got him before me. 
Even if he does I dont think he puts up WR1 #s. He wasnt earlier in the year. At this point I wanted the roster flexibility and if he comes back so be it. Im at peace with my decision lol. I also dropped AB at the same time. FYI since I dropped him nobody has picked him up but I dropped him late last week.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really considered picking him up and stashing him if the owner in my league dropped him, but he hasn't.  I guarantee he isn't stashing him though; this owner has basically given up and hasn't done anything with his team in weeks.

Why would Ridley return this year?  I can only think of a few reasons:
Money - Even though ATL is standing behind Ridley's decision, it is unclear if they are paying him for the missed games.  Per the CBA, they don't have to, but they can if they want.
Playoff run - They are 5-7 right now, and in the hunt.  Sure, they may be the worst 5-7 team, but they don't have a brutal schedule, and stranger things have happened.
Passion - We know a guy like Frank Gore would've played until age 70 if he could, but does Calvin love the game of football like that?  Only he knows.
Guilt - Would ATL's record be the same if he hadn't stepped away?  If Calvin needs time off, this shouldn't matter, but if I am thinking it, I guarantee he is too.

any idea what he’s worth in dynasty? just trying to decide if my Keenan and Amari for him and AJ Dillon was horrible. 
I flipped Lockett to a playoff team for Ridley about 3 weeks ago, just as a data point for you. 

I do have a playoff spot sewn up and our FAAB will re-set so I could theoretically bid on him again. But, the Falcons are not very good and he will likely be out of game shape anyway. I don't see him coming back--hence the move to drop him.

Redraft? Presumably. 
Yes, redraft. Not certain about dynasty but I would be wary.

I'm going to drop him for Julio if I can get him. Bummer all the way around. I hope Calvin can come back and play but if not, I wish him well for a happy, healthy life after football.

I do have a playoff spot sewn up and our FAAB will re-set so I could theoretically bid on him again. But, the Falcons are not very good and he will likely be out of game shape anyway. I don't see him coming back--hence the move to drop him.
I've limped into a playoff spot... and have been still hanging onto Ridley.

We keep a small bench in my $ redraft league, and moves cost $. But it has hurt letting go ok-decent guys who will at least get me points to cover injuries and bye week fillers and keeping Ridley and his weekly donut.

bleh. I've got my Gesicki on a bye with no back-up and Gordon gimpy... considering finally dropping Ridley, but I'm sure somebody else will snatch him up.

Last week in a Dynasty league I traded him for Mattison and Thomas, NO receiver. Figured Thomas is > Ridley and both are out this year. Mattison will help me this year for 2-3 games.

I call it the SETL - somebody else's team list.

Great player but there are other great players and I'll just pick one of those instead.

That's a better way to describe it, because realistically - in redraft - if he's there in round 14-15 and I've already got a PK, back-up QB, handcuff RB, and 3 projected starters at WR... then give me Calvin Ridley. And even then, he's "last one through the door, and first to go" during week 1-2 waiver wire pick-up.

But that won't happen... because he will get drafted much higher. He's out of Tier 1-2 for 2022, but someone will be gambling on him being the steal of the draft and burn a meaningful pick on him.

People drafted Michael Thomas as high as 5th round this year on the hope he would play. Ridley will get drafted by some one. 

Is there anything anywhere about Ridley's status for the remainder of this season?

My expectation is that he's "unofficially" done, but I just can't bring myself to dropping him yet...

Is there anything anywhere about Ridley's status for the remainder of this season?

My expectation is that he's "unofficially" done, but I just can't bring myself to dropping him yet...
I have no information, but my stance is same as yours.  I think he is done for this year and hopefully can come back next year.

Someone in 1 of my redraft leagues dropped him and I picked him up to stash in the bench in case he does come back this year.  With mental illness there isn't a timetable, especially, since we don't even know what it is.  He could feel better tomorrow or he could be struggling with something for years to come.

4th&inches said:

Hasn't been anything. I've scoured Twitter for all the best writers and fantasy insiders and there's just nothing. So with that in mind, even if he suddenly walked into the building today and said he was ready, he hasn't played football in over 2 months. He wouldn't be ready to go for at least 2-3 weeks. You'd be putting him in your lineup hoping for a WR1 score but actually getting a dart throw off the bottom of the waiver wire score.

Bair Mail: On Arthur Smith's performance, Calvin Ridley, Cordarrelle Patterson's future and more Matt Ryan debates

Excerpt:

Jerry Brown from Atlanta

Do you see Calvin Ridley returning at all this season? If he did, would he start right away, or would he need a week or two to get acclimated?

Bair: There are so many unknowns regarding Calvin Ridley that it's tough to make predictions on this front, even though everyone's interested in his status.

There's still no telling if he'll return this season, though there's only five games left in the campaign. In that regard, time is running out. He has also been gone a significant chunk of time and, even if he's in good shape, he hasn't been practicing with a team. Football shape is a different level, and that could – key word: could -- take a little bit of time at least to re-acclimate. Again, there's so much we don't know about the situation.

The Falcons haven't had updates on Ridley in a while. In terms of a possible return, we don't know. It's clear, however, that time is running out on that prospect.

I think it's pretty straight forward at this point. If you have him in redraft just cut him and move on. If it's keeper or dynasty then you just hold for the future but you won't be having him in your lineup this season.

I think it's pretty straight forward at this point. If you have him in redraft just cut him and move on. If it's keeper or dynasty then you just hold for the future but you won't be having him in your lineup this season.

I think it's more dire than that.  Dynasty owners should be looking to move on if they can get 75% or more of his book value.  I think it's 50/50 he never plays again in the NFL.

Anyone who takes on this guy in real life and in fantasy get what they deserve. I understand people may have some mental health problems. But guess what, I also have no tolerance for you to be in the NFL. Seek help and go find something where you dont put an entire team or franchise in jeopardy. 
So does this mean ATlanta has already picked up/activated his 5th year option, or they still can?  Not sure exactly how that works...

Anyone who takes on this guy in real life and in fantasy get what they deserve. I understand people may have some mental health problems. But guess what, I also have no tolerance for you to be in the NFL. Seek help and go find something where you dont put an entire team or franchise in jeopardy. 
This is…..a less than charitable approach. 

From all accounts, Ridley is a high character young man, and an exceptionally talented football player. 

Was I happy my 3.01 pick bowed out for the season? No - probably cost me a playoff run. But I’m a 51 year old with a trick knee playing a gambling game with my idiot friends for $. My wants and needs are insignificant compared to someone with significant mental health issues.

And if the Falcons, his actual team, can help Ridley prioritize & be there for him, then so can I. 

The fact is that he is seeking help. That’s the entire point of his stepping away from the NFL this year.  Whether you have “tolerance” for that or not is irrelevant.

His franchise wasn’t going to win anything this year with that Swiss cheese defense & aging noodle-arm Matt Ryan anyway whether Ridley was there or not. There’s a reason they had such a high pick in 2021.

That post is entirely lacking in empathy. It’s a bad look. 

Anyone who takes on this guy in real life and in fantasy get what they deserve. I understand people may have some mental health problems. But guess what, I also have no tolerance for you to be in the NFL. Seek help and go find something where you dont put an entire team or franchise in jeopardy
That's a lot of power 1 player yields that can jeopardize an entire franchising by missing some regular season games. 

wrong

Ridley was right to take a mental break for himself with whatever he's dealing with. But the speculation is that he wants out, and that it's not right to quit on your team when you want out IMO. Sometimes I get it when you've been treated like crap or something, but he's a first-round pick being paid a good amount. He's succeeded in almost every facet in life, on an awesome college team, and has achieved growth in his statistics each year.

This might've been the most adverse year for him to date, and he couldn't deal with it. This is just speculation, but his stats are way down across the board because he's being treated differently than when Julio was there.

You don't know what you got until it's gone. 

Time to get back to the issue here on the Forum, that being, Ridley's fantasy discussion. I'll let Dobbs decide on the morals of a poster and whether s/he should be allowed to post.

Thank you all.

I agree, you seem have sympathy for entitled millionaires with every advantage as if they are unable to have the finest doctors help them. Correct me if I am wrong if that isnt your position. I do not have that sympathy.

Did you have that same sympathy for the issues Aaron Hernandez had? We now know he had CTE, so...

He clearly had mental issues, do you have sympathy for him? Im trying to see where your moral red line is. Because based off your sympathy, players with mental issues should be coddled and shown special treatment.
I’ll stand up and say yes, I have some sympathy for Hernandez. He was clearly mentally disturbed. It must have really sucked to go through what he did. It doesn’t excuse his behavior or imply that I don’t have sympathy for his victims, but mental health issues are tricky and difficult and if we as a society had a little more sympathy and a little less judgement about folks who struggle, we’d all be in a much better place.

Someone quoted this from Rally Monkey:

"Im just amazed you think I care about their NFL players feelings. 

It sucks people try so hard to act like they are righteous about people they will never meet or interact with cuz they are on their fantasy team while attacking people they actually interact with.

The fake morals are amazing.  Hurt? Empathy? Listen to you guys. LOL

Bet you people hope they get back in the game and pass the concussion test with lies to help your fantasy team though, eh? 

So do you wanna talk football, or do you all wanna pretend to be Dr. Ruth as if it makes you look like men?

Empathy wouldnt even allow you to watch football as their brains are mush cuz of this game. Fake as heck as if you all cared, why let them play such a violent game knowing what this game does to their mental health. These saying things on the interent to justify your allowing the players to bash their head in, but pretend to care about their mental well being.

Its like those who watch MMA, but hope a guy doesnt get knocked out. "

I can't find where this post is, or even a post by Rally Monkey from the hour that it indicates in the quote, but this is spot on and I am giving it an unofficial ❤️ reaction right here since I cannot find the post. I don't even have a problem with what Ridley has done. But these people everywhere pretending to weep and gnash teeth because people criticize the guy while he has mental difficulties. Gimme a break.
Thank you for that thoughtful contribution.  

I'm not sure why having problems with your mental health warrants criticism.  It's not like he made a choice.  It's not like he's dong drugs, committing murder, sexually assaulting people.  He's in a bad place.  Millions of people in the U.S. have mental health issues of varying degrees.  But you guys are only criticizing the ones that affect your fantasy football team.  

So it seems the issue isn't "he's struggling with his mental health."  Rather, it's "He didn't help my fantasy football team."  

I'd like to see him come to the Raiders, I definitely think he's worth a 1st round pick.  I'm curious if the asking price would be higher or not. Cooper went for a 1st a few years ago. Didn't work out for us but that was the asking price then.

As far as fit goes, the Raiders have Darren Waller and Max Crosby who are recovering addicts, and they talk a lot about mental health. if Solomon Thomas is resigned he is also someone Ridley could talk to. Thomas lost a sister to suicide a few years ago and does a lot of work in that area.  I am a little confused as to why he wants out of Atlanta. It seems like they've been supportive through this. 

But the speculation is that he wants out, and that it's not right to quit on your team when you want out IMO.
I'd like to see some stronger discussion on these 2 sentences and less about his current mental state and everyone wanting to take a position and sell themselves on their own .02

-There is some smoke here and I think there is a dangerous future where players can raise their hands and take time off or the rest of the season and then try and find their way off of teams when they are unhappy.

-But I don't see how quitting on your team or faking mental illness suddenly gets you Top 10 money at WR, don't think it works that way. 

It's a weird juxtaposition. 

"I'm having mental health crisis and can't play football anymore until I'm right in the head"

vs.

"I'm unhappy in ATL and want a chance to contribute elsewhere, screw this place I'm not playing another down until I get an extension" knowing that some other team is going to have to give up a #1 pick or the equivalent, pay (what is it, 10+ million next year and likely a huge extension) and deal with their side of the risk of ongoing mental health crisis related unavailability.

Those two points are not strictly mutually exclusive but they're like 95% exclusive. The first has bought him a ton of space and good will. Folks (me included) have by and large decided to take that statement at face value. If it turns out that position #2 was more of his true motive, it's kind of insulting to folks that are actually dealing with mental health issues.

All I know is I'll likely have him ranked lower than ADP next year so he'll effectively be on my DND list. Like Saquon, good luck, you'll not be my problem ever again.

Ministry of Pain said:
I'd like to see some stronger discussion on these 2 sentences and less about his current mental state and everyone wanting to take a position and sell themselves on their own .02

-There is some smoke here and I think there is a dangerous future where players can raise their hands and take time off or the rest of the season and then try and find their way off of teams when they are unhappy.

-But I don't see how quitting on your team or faking mental illness suddenly gets you Top 10 money at WR, don't think it works that way. 

Perhaps some careful thought should be put into (and language created around) mental health in the CBA and in player contracts to protect players with legitimate mental health issues while deterring others from attempting to exploit them? As society continues to destigmatize and become more transparent about this, the NFL will need to adapt. Eventually "rub some dirt on it" isn't going to be a viable position.

rockaction said:
That's almost an understatement. Anybody using mental illness as leverage is pretty foul, IMO. 
Of course. 
Is anyone who actually knows anything making this accusation? 

Users who are viewing this thread