What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Calvin Ridley, TEN (1 Viewer)

Please note I'm not calling anybody out. I'm genuinely flummoxed how we could move from that position to the current one. And I don't think anybody is "bad" for having old-school thoughts. I just wonder how the empathy of the first doesn't jibe with the second. 

I appreciate you not being angry, I'm simply saying many players figure out in the off season and we sometimes are surprised they end a career early but most of the time it doesn't happen Week 8 of the season. 

I do hope he gets well and FTR, I don't have a financial stake of any kind in him being on the field or not, it was just a reaction to his updates today. 
Is it unfair when a player aggravates a hammy during pregame and is a late scratch?

I don't have chronic mental health issues, and neither does Other Chaka, but I have had two panic attacks. When it hits, it hits and your down. There is no fair about it.

This is only new to us, Calvin has likely been struggling with this for years. I am glad that we now.live in an era where "bury it" or "suck it up" aren't the only options.

I'm pretty old school. I've also have my own battles with addiction and alcohol abuse, which is pretty neatly tied to my anxiety problem. So I can see both sides of the issue. On one hand, people on the outside wonder how this can't be right. How the athlete must feel with the life of the celebrity and all the perks he or she must lead. How can the athlete just willy-nilly decide to abandon his team, his brothers, his responsibility? I can sympathize with that point of view. I love stand-up, dependable, no bull#### guys, too. 

What they do not realize is how crippling these things can be. I can remember sitting, twenty-six like wgoldsph, unable to breathe from panic attacks. Like my throat had been constricted and I had to breathe through a straw. Never forget it. Was it self-induced from drink and drugs? I don't know. But I do know how debilitating even the easiest social situations can be. I dreaded going out, meeting new people. Everything was futile. 

And I didn't have the worst of it. No suicidal ideations whatsoever. If it gets to that point, I can only imagine how others must feel because I can't fathom. 

And neither can most of you guys. Give this guy a bit of a break for a moment. 
Glad you’re doing ok buddy. 

Wish him the best, and am not discounting the reality of mental illness in America. Don't like or want to anyone needlessly suffer.

That being said, and fantasy football aside (because it's of no true importance in the grand scheme of things), if he's physiologically healthy and not having a full-blown mental breakdown (which is admittedly possible), he needs to suck it up for 3 hours and get on the field and ball out to the best of his ability, as he is paid handsomely to do.

As a smaller side-issue worthy of contemplation and discussion: Even if 100% legitimate (as I assume it is in his case) what kind of precedent might this set in the future for disgruntled/unhappy/losing players that simply don't want to suit up, but are otherwise healthy?

Wish him the best, and am not discounting the reality of mental illness in America. Don't like or want to anyone needlessly suffer.

That being said, and fantasy football aside (because it's of no true importance in the grand scheme of things), if he's physiologically healthy and not having a full-blown mental breakdown (which is admittedly possible), he needs to suck it up for 3 hours and get on the field and ball out to the best of his ability, as he is paid handsomely to do.

As a smaller side-issue worthy of contemplation and discussion: Even if 100% legitimate (as I assume it is in his case) what kind of precedent might this set in the future for disgruntled/unhappy/losing players that simply don't want to suit up, but are otherwise healthy?
Would you rather he press pause or deal with issues like josh Gordon did?

I do think it’s probably more productive to work through things but we have no idea of what he’s going through

i think in a macho world, guys aren’t gonna fake mental illness

There are ways to tell if someone is faking. If player has no history of mental illness, has not been diagnosed with anything, has not been prescribed to take anything to treat the illness then the first step would be to insist that that they seek medical treatment just like any other ailment. Psychologists and Psychiatrists can tell if a person is genuine or just faking. Then they can go from there. 

biju said:
Actually, yeah.  I had my doubt on him being able to actually be the #1.  It's clear at this point he's having some mental issues and perhaps it's because he's underperforming as a number 1.  

You do you, but perhaps it's best to stop defending the guy blindly.  My opinion is as good as yours and right now I shouldn't have taken him.
He was without Julio for 8 games last year & did just fine. 

He was without Julio for 8 games last year & did just fine. 

And last year is last year.  I don't know how to explain this other than this happens.  Sometimes DCs can actually plan for this and it doesn't work out.  You may, or may not, be a fanboy.  But this is NOT his year.  Continue to defend at your own expense.

And last year is last year.  I don't know how to explain this other than this happens.  Sometimes DCs can actually plan for this and it doesn't work out.  You may, or may not, be a fanboy.  But this is NOT his year.  Continue to defend at your own expense.
I’m not a fanboy - your assertions are grating. I drafted Ridley because he was BPA at 3.01, and because he proved last year he could be an alpha WR. 

no one could have foreseen this & you were on an island if you had reservations about him. Can you quote any posts from the off-season where you expressed these concerns? Just curious. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Ministry of Pain said:
I think going forward, owners/GMs must have wording and language in the contract that discusses these types of issues. I am not down playing the legitimacy of his illness but I think its highly unfair to the other 51-52, however many players, coaches, companies have a lot invested and it can't just be at the player's discretion anytime they want to seek help for mental illness. I would expect he is checking into a "Facility" immediately and is under round the clock care until they can get to the root of the problem. 

I hope he can find what he needs. 
Just stop. You really have no idea what you’re talking about.

G-King said:
Listening to some of the heartless, “my fantasy team first”, idiotic responses some have had, I’m betting they could care less if he committed siuicide. What a pathetic life some lead when that’s all that matters. I’m praying he and Lane Johnson, and anyone else suffering from this get help and enjoy their God given life. Screw  football (fake or real) over happiness.
I would say I’m shocked about some of the clueless takes in here but unfortunately I kind of expected it. 

wgoldsph said:
That's you.  That's what you sound like.  An #######.

Please keep this Shark Pool discussion to NFL Football. It's possible to have a discussion about mental health on this issue as we did on Simone Biles earlier this year in the Free For All forum.  If you can be cool and discuss it civilly there, please do so. 

But keep keep the discussion in this area to NFL.

And definitely don't stoop down to the level of insulting other posters here. 

And FWIW, our view on the NFL side of this is what we said in the email update last night:

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

Ridley could return this season so it's probably hasty to drop him, but his well-being is the main concern here. Hopefully, he's able to find what he's in need of. For the Falcons, this is a definite impact. It looks likely they'll lean on rookie TE Kyle Pitts even more.

You never know what a person is going through, so you have to have empathy.  In the old days people were told to pull their skirt up and deal with it, but in today's world mental health is much more front and center and we know more now than back then.  Even with that, most of us have to get up and go to work regardless of our mental health.

Checked my lineup at 12:37 and was like "Oh, what now?" Slid Jeudy into the lineup and looked here to see just what exactly is going on. 

Thanks for all or your posts. I went from being pretty aggravated to putting a pause on my reaction. Hope Calvin can get the help he needs. 

Hate to be so crass and I do wish Calvin well but do we have actionable advice in here?

Thinking I'll hold for a few weeks. 

You never know what a person is going through, so you have to have empathy.  In the old days people were told to pull their skirt up and deal with it, but in today's world mental health is much more front and center and we know more now than back then.  Even with that, most of us have to get up and go to work regardless of our mental health.
For some this is not as easy as you try and make it sound - you clearly have no idea what "mental health" is. It's not waking up and not wanting to go to work because you're tried or even sad because the Colts lost.

Yelling at some one that has a serious mental health issue to "suck it up, get out of bed and go to work" is like telling some one that's paralyzed to "suck it up and walk to the corner."

Some people would rather be "old school", which doesn't make you a man, it's the equivalent of sticking your head in the sand because it's easier than facing reality of dealing with some one suffering badly when it seems they should be fine.

Please keep this Shark Pool discussion to NFL Football. It's possible to have a discussion about mental health on this issue as we did on Simone Biles earlier this year in the Free For All forum.  If you can be cool and discuss it civilly there, please do so. 

But keep keep the discussion in this area to NFL.

And definitely don't stoop down to the level of insulting other posters here. 
So we should let people let people spread misinformation about mental health issues in here? It is relevant to the NFL in this situation. You actually have people in here implying he's faking it or that he's some kind of ##### for sitting out.

So we should let people let people spread misinformation about mental health issues in here? 

No. I don't think anyone is saying that and honestly, it's discouraging and disappointing you'd accuse me of that. But that's life. 

We keep it totally focused on Fantasy Football and NFL in this forum. For other forums, like Free For All, this is an important and valuable topic. Thanks.

No. I don't think anyone is saying that and honestly, it's discouraging and disappointing you'd accuse me of that. But that's life. 
What did I accuse you of?

There is literally people accusing him of potentially faking it and one guy basically called him a "#####" for not playing and that seems to be ok. 

Ridley's mental health is now NFL related - why can't it be discussed in here?

So we should let people let people spread misinformation about mental health issues in here? It is relevant to the NFL in this situation. You actually have people in here implying he's faking it or that he's some kind of ##### for sitting out.
Yes but getting angry about it and attacking the poster isn't going to change their mind on it. If anything it will make them dig in deeper on their POV. People are genuinely ignorant on this issue if they've never experienced it first hand. I was. Over the last 10-15 years I've learned the reality of it. 

Yes but getting angry about it and attacking the poster isn't going to change their mind on it. If anything it will make them dig in deeper on their POV. People are genuinely ignorant on this issue if they've never experienced it first hand. I was. Over the last 10-15 years I've learned the reality of it. 
Fair enough, but with all the information that's out there now, some of these takes are outrageously insensitive and frankly laughable. 

What did I accuse you of?

There is literally people accusing him of potentially faking it and one guy basically called him a "#####" for not playing and that seems to be ok. 

Ridley's mental health is now NFL related - why can't it be discussed in here?

If you have specific information with details on Ridley's specific situation, you can discuss it here. I doubt we do beyond the statement released. But if you do, discuss it here.

If it continues to be both sides attacking the other and insulting them if they don't share their opinion, take that somewhere else besides this forum. 

Please, I don't have time to argue this.

Facts: Ridley is coming off a 90/1400/9TD performance last year, which was his 3rd year in the NFL, he was drafted 26th overall in the 1st round which means he could have been offered an extension by the Atlanta Falcons. 

Fact: April 28th, 2021 the Atlanta Falcons exercise their 5th year option for Ridley ensuring he will play in 2022 for $11M. 

MoP: Typically this paves the way for potential contract extensions but we also know that sometimes teams use these 5th year options because they aren't quite sold on the player, Winston in Tampa Bay was an example of this, the Bucs never wanted to be on the hook long term with him. 

The timing for Ridley could not be worse which would make most folks think he must be going thru some incredible pain right now at a time when he should be focused on football and contract #2 and his future. To override that and step away from the game must be very difficult for him. 

Somewhere between those facts and these recent events things have gone horribly wrong for Ridley.  

You also might want to read This USA Today, Falcons Wire where Ridley was quoted in January as being ready to sign an extension. 

Facts: Ridley is coming off a 90/1400/9TD performance last year, which was his 3rd year in the NFL, he was drafted 26th overall in the 1st round which means he could have been offered an extension by the Atlanta Falcons. 

Fact: April 28th, 2021 the Atlanta Falcons exercise their 5th year option for Ridley ensuring he will play in 2022 for $11M. 

MoP: Typically this paves the way for potential contract extensions but we also know that sometimes teams use these 5th year options because they aren't quite sold on the player, Winston in Tampa Bay was an example of this, the Bucs never wanted to be on the hook long term with him. 

The timing for Ridley could not be worse which would make most folks think he must be going thru some incredible pain right now at a time when he should be focused on football and contract #2 and his future. To override that and step away from the game must be very difficult for him. 

Somewhere between those facts and these recent events things have gone horribly wrong for Ridley.  

You also might want to read This USA Today, Falcons Wire where Ridley was quoted in January as being ready to sign an extension. 

Agreed. And thanks for keeping it to facts.

It's always dangerous to make assumptions on something as serious as this but clearly this is a serious issue.

We may or not know more details in the future. Until then, it seems most respectful to allow Ridley the space he's asking for.

For some this is not as easy as you try and make it sound - you clearly have no idea what "mental health" is. It's not waking up and not wanting to go to work because you're tried or even sad because the Colts lost.

Yelling at some one that has a serious mental health issue to "suck it up, get out of bed and go to work" is like telling some one that's paralyzed to "suck it up and walk to the corner."

Some people would rather be "old school", which doesn't make you a man, it's the equivalent of sticking your head in the sand because it's easier than facing reality of dealing with some one suffering badly when it seems they should be fine.
You clearly didn't read my post with any understanding of its intent.  I'll repeat it.

"You never know what a person is going through, so you have to have empathy.  In the old days people were told to pull their skirt up and deal with it, but in today's world mental health is much more front and center and we know more now than back then.  Even with that, most of us have to get up and go to work regardless of our mental health."

Where am I yelling at anyone to "suck it up"?  I was just stating that before more knowledge was gained on mental health that was the general attitude back in the day.  Now we have more knowledge on the subject and that is a great thing.  As for the having to get up and go to work, that is generally true for most people regardless of how they feel mentally.  People have to pay their bills.  If someone has the financial ability to take a leave of absence for mental health and their short term / long term disability is sufficient, then that is great too.  I do have good disability and could take off if I had to, but some don't.  I said specifically you never know what a person is going through and you have to have empathy.

As for the having to get up and go to work, that is generally true for most people regardless of how they feel mentally.  People have to pay their bills.  
Because it doesn't work this way - some one that has a serious mental health issues isn't worried about "paying bills".

Yes, we generally do need to suck it up and go to work if we're tired or hungover or if we're feeling "off" that day mentally - but that's not close to the same thing as some one that is truly suffering. You're downplaying what some one that is bi-polar or is suffering from depression is going through by comparing it to what most people need to do. That's what I'm saying.

I wasn't directing the "suck it up, get out of bed and go to work" as a direct quote from you - but that is the implication when you say "Even with that, most of us have to get up and go to work regardless of our mental health" - that line shows you do not understand the situation - you're basically equating "mental health" to a "bad day". It's debilitating to people that are seriously suffering and while they may know that they should get out of bed and go to work - they just can't to the same extent as if they physically could not.

This is the same for NFL players as it is for an accountant. NFL players are actually people.

I am thankful I have never had to deal with mental health issues, but know people who have. It sounds absolutely terrifying. I’m glad Ridley was able to not let football override his own personal health and I hope he gets the help he needs. 

If I went into the Derek Henry thread and said "He should suck it up and play. The guy is making millions and he's sitting out  because his foot hurts. Poor baby" that would make me look like a fool, and it is the equivalent to what some are doing in here - with no shame.

That's all I was trying to say - maybe hopefully open some eyes because I have some personal experience with it, something I wouldn't wish on anyone. 

Checked my lineup at 12:37 and was like "Oh, what now?" Slid Jeudy into the lineup and looked here to see just what exactly is going on. 

Thanks for all or your posts. I went from being pretty aggravated to putting a pause on my reaction. Hope Calvin can get the help he needs. 

Hate to be so crass and I do wish Calvin well but do we have actionable advice in here?

Thinking I'll hold for a few weeks. 
I absolutely think you have to hold. Lane Johnson stepped away for, iirc, five weeks to focus on his mental well being and he is back now and bringing attention to this conversation.

We don't know the extent of Calvin's need but it is entirely possible he gets to a place where he could return this season.

The Lane Johnson timeframe should be the starting point for your roster decisions.

If I went into the Derek Henry thread and said "He should suck it up and play. The guy is making millions and he's sitting out  because his foot hurts. Poor baby" that would make me look like a fool, and it is the equivalent to what some are doing in here - with no shame.

That's all I was trying to say - maybe hopefully open some eyes because I have some personal experience with it, something I wouldn't wish on anyone. 
It's okay my friend, we are with you on this. When I jumped into this thread I was expecting a bunch of old school "suck it up" comments and other such nonsense.  

I haven't gone back to count but I think there were only three posters who took that path and one was @Ministry of Pain who, I don't think any of us believe commented with any sort of malice or negative intent (apologies to the other 2 or 3 but I don't think I know you very well so I will reserve comment) just an all to common lack of understanding of a very complicated issue.

The great takeaway from these reactions is that this forum has a bunch of dudes raised on that old school mentality and we are clearly breaking from that school of thought.

Personally, everything I have seen in here makes me more hopeful than anything.

At the end of the day, Ridley’s mental health > football

And

Ridley’s mental health >>>>>>>>> my magical sportsball team.

What is a minor inconvenience for me is a life-altering situation for Calvin Ridley. Perspective is important. Depression (if that’s what this is) can be crippling. If it’s some other issue, that can also be detrimental to his career, his family, and his entire life.

This is a fantasy football forum, and it’s easy to understand how folks can react to his absence a mere hour before lineups lock - it sucks, and I likely lost my week in a close game because of it. But at the end of the day, I’m rooting more for Calvin Ridley than for me magical sportsball team.

recently I had purchased tickets to Faith No More / System of a Down. They weren’t cheap, but it was essentially 2 headliners. A week before the show, Mike Patton cancelled both his FTM & Mr Bungle tours for mental health reasons. We (the 5 of us going) were super bummed. But as fans we were also happy to hear that he was getting the help he needed. A musician like Chris Cornell semi-recently didn't, and committed suicide. 

At the end of day, as fans of a player or musician or artist, we have to root for them to be mentally healthy. That’s how you can truly support them. Taking a break is the exactly correct decision. These things can literally be life or death decisions.

so I will root for Calvin Ridley, and hope that Calvin Ridley the player comes back for the home stretch of my schedule. And if he doesn’t I will continue to root for Calvin Ridley the human being & hope that he’s getting the help he needs. 

Because it doesn't work this way - some one that has a serious mental health issues isn't worried about "paying bills".

Yes, we generally do need to suck it up and go to work if we're tired or hungover or if we're feeling "off" that day mentally - but that's not close to the same thing as some one that is truly suffering. You're downplaying what some one that is bi-polar or is suffering from depression is going through by comparing it to what most people need to do. That's what I'm saying.

I wasn't directing the "suck it up, get out of bed and go to work" as a direct quote from you - but that is the implication when you say "Even with that, most of us have to get up and go to work regardless of our mental health" - that line shows you do not understand the situation - you're basically equating "mental health" to a "bad day". It's debilitating to people that are seriously suffering and while they may know that they should get out of bed and go to work - they just can't to the same extent as if they physically could not.

This is the same for NFL players as it is for an accountant. NFL players are actually people.

not sure the bolded is true.....I bet this is something plenty of them worry about....and probably part of the reason they wait so long to get help...

I’ll keep this short and have not read any other posts. 

My first concern was my fantasy football teams. Not Ridley’s mental health. I have continued to feel terrible for my fantasy teams, have not spent a lot of time feeling bad for Ridley.

This makes me sound cold and heartless and I get it. A million plus horrible things go on in the world everyday and but it’s hard to feel for every individual thing when you don’t have a real connection. One of the reasons people like fantasy football is it provides a bit of an escape from day to day and bad things in life.

So to me I don’t think people should be vilified for worrying more about their fantasy teams or wishing Ridley would just “tough it out”. 

If someone is actually mad at Ridley that’s something else. I’m out on that and would remind those upset with Ridley that he’s coming due for an extension. That means two things. What he is going through must truly be awfully bad as he’s likely going to suffer a considerable financial loss. So to those who wish he’d tough it out, which was my first reaction as well, I’m pretty sure he tried. If you lost because of Ridley this week I assure he’s going to lose more and that alone should be an indication of how severe this issue is for him.

Physical injuries are usually pretty clear.  Mental injuries are not always as clear.  My personal opinion is that people are over-using mental health to opt out of difficult things.  So I approach these claims with a bit of skepticism.  For example, Simone Biles got the "twisties" so she wasn't able to do her flips.  Rather than simply admit that, she used mental health.  That doesn't seem fair to those people who are battling real mental health issues.  Same with Osaka.

Physical injuries are usually pretty clear.  Mental injuries are not always as clear.  My personal opinion is that people are over-using mental health to opt out of difficult things.  So I approach these claims with a bit of skepticism.  For example, Simone Biles got the "twisties" so she wasn't able to do her flips.  Rather than simply admit that, she used mental health.  That doesn't seem fair to those people who are battling real mental health issues.  Same with Osaka.
Yeah, weird comment about Biles when she could quite literally, and quite easily die from ####### up a vault. 

The "Should I suck it up and risk horrible injury or be smart and not risk my life?" question strikes me as a legitimate mental health consideration.

I’ll keep this short and have not read any other posts. 

My first concern was my fantasy football teams. Not Ridley’s mental health. I have continued to feel terrible for my fantasy teams, have not spent a lot of time feeling bad for Ridley.

This makes me sound cold and heartless and I get it. A million plus horrible things go on in the world everyday and but it’s hard to feel for every individual thing when you don’t have a real connection. One of the reasons people like fantasy football is it provides a bit of an escape from day to day and bad things in life.

So to me I don’t think people should be vilified for worrying more about their fantasy teams or wishing Ridley would just “tough it out”. 

If someone is actually mad at Ridley that’s something else. I’m out on that and would remind those upset with Ridley that he’s coming due for an extension. That means two things. What he is going through must truly be awfully bad as he’s likely going to suffer a considerable financial loss. So to those who wish he’d tough it out, which was my first reaction as well, I’m pretty sure he tried. If you lost because of Ridley this week I assure he’s going to lose more and that alone should be an indication of how severe this issue is for him.

Post of the day imo

Yeah, weird comment about Biles when she could quite literally, and quite easily die from ####### up a vault. 

The "Should I suck it up and risk horrible injury or be smart and not risk my life?" question strikes me as a legitimate mental health consideration.
I think the issue is that Biles said she had the "twisties".....which all gymnasts get....and it is something they all have to work through....I'm not sure where "twisties" rank on a 1-10 scale in terms of serious mental health issues....not sure what the therapy is or if there are meds that help with the "twisties".....but I'm sure there are more serious issues....yes it may be "dangerous" to have the "twisties", but nobody is forcing you to launch your body 15 feet in the air and spin/flip around....that is your choice and your chosen pathway in life....like football players who slam there heads into each other every week....or race car drivers who decide to drive 200 miles an hour in a circle with 40 other guys doing the same thing.....

and if she comes out and says....I lost confidence after some bad performances and the pressure really got to me because I myself and everybody else made me out to be all that and a bag of chips....then she looks weak or like a choker that can't handle the pressure....(even tho she has very impressive resume) ....so an easier out is to somehow spin the "twisties" into a mental health issue that is front and center and sweeping the nation in recent support and very hard/vague/grey area to argue with....but the twisties seem to become really just a lack of confidence when you aren't able to do the things you have done before....like not hitting a 95 mph fastball for 3 weeks straight.....you go to the cage and take some BP till you figure it out....

Ricky Bobby thought he was on fire and then paralyzed from the waist down,  but he got back in the car......you just gotta work it out....

feels like Ridley is dealing with a little more than a case of the twisties....

I think the issue is that Biles said she had the "twisties".....which all gymnasts get....and it is something they all have to work through....I'm not sure where "twisties" rank on a 1-10 scale in terms of serious mental health issues....not sure what the therapy is or if there are meds that help with the "twisties".....but I'm sure there are more serious issues....yes it may be "dangerous" to have the "twisties", but nobody is forcing you to launch your body 15 feet in the air and spin/flip around....that is your choice and your chosen pathway in life....like football players who slam there heads into each other every week....or race car drivers who decide to drive 200 miles an hour in a circle with 40 other guys doing the same thing.....

and if she comes out and says....I lost confidence after some bad performances and the pressure really got to me because I myself and everybody else made me out to be all that and a bag of chips....then she looks weak or like a choker that can't handle the pressure....(even tho she has very impressive resume) ....so an easier out is to somehow spin the "twisties" into a mental health issue that is front and center and sweeping the nation in recent support and very hard/vague/grey area to argue with....but the twisties seem to become really just a lack of confidence when you aren't able to do the things you have done before....like not hitting a 95 mph fastball for 3 weeks straight.....you go to the cage and take some BP till you figure out....

Ricky Bobby thought he was on fire and then paralyzed from the waist down,  but he got back in the car......you just gotta work it out....

I appreciate the thought you put into that response.

"Twisties" is just a word to describe a mental health issue that is more closely related to PTSD than anything. Years and years of performing feats that regularly put you at risk of grievous bodily harm can eventually take a toll on the strongest of minds. And there is no question that Biles is one of the toughest S.O.B.s both physically and mentally that ever laced them up.

and if she comes out and says....I lost confidence after some bad performances and the pressure really got to me because I myself and everybody else made me out to be all that and a bag of chips....then she looks weak or like a choker that can't handle the pressure....(even tho she has very impressive resume) ....so an easier out is to somehow spin the "twisties" into a mental health issue that is front and center and sweeping the nation in recent support and very hard/vague/grey area to argue with....but the twisties seem to become really just a lack of confidence when you aren't able to do the things you have done before....like not hitting a 95 mph fastball for 3 weeks straight.....you go to the cage and take some BP till you figure out....

Comparing either Biles situation or Ridley's situation with a fictional character in a low brow comedy film is not doing anyone any favors. 

There aren't degrees of mental health here. Biles "twisties" are a mental health issue. They could be life-threatening. She is a world class athlete who is capable of incredible physical feats. Calvin Ridley is also a world-class athlete capable of incredible physical feats. Lapses in concentration for either could lead to critical injuries. Not having spatial awareness or "having your head in the game" in the NFL could lead to paralysis or death. It's a dangerous sport. 

But both Biles and Ridley are doing what's right for them. It's not graded on a 10-scale. They're either mentally healthy or they aren't, and they're either capable of performing at a high level or they aren't. "full stop" as the kids say. 

Users who are viewing this thread