What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Bryan Edwards, LV (2 Viewers)

August 20:

Fantasy Football: Takeaways from training camp, preseason Week 1

Excerpt:

Bryan Edwards is going to be a thing

I am the fantasy industry’s original and long-time chairman of the John Brown appreciation club.

With that said, I’m changing my tune on the veteran receiver’s prospects in Las Vegas. Every indication out of Raiders’ camp is that second-year receiver Bryan Edwards will start at the X-receiver position. That would leave Henry Ruggs as the starting flanker and Hunter Renfrow as the primary slot.

Better yet, Edwards has been thriving with this opportunity, a regular standout in practice.

Whether he’s a good enough player to turn this opportunity into fantasy production remains to be seen. Just how much this shot is worth is also another question. Las Vegas isn’t projected to house one of the most voluminous passing offenses in the league. What is clear is that Edwards is going to get the first crack at this thing, whatever it turns out to be.

I recently bumped Bryan Edwards all the way from the total basement to WR63 in my rankings, putting him squarely on the late-round radar. My initial read on the situation — John Brown just assuming the role Nelson Agholor left behind — does not appear to be in the likely range of outcomes.

This dude has insane camp hype. Glowing reviews everywhere. I'm aboard the train, hopefully it translates to real games.

Waldman had some really high praise for Edwards in his new Gut Check article. I already have him in all my leagues but if he even gets close to Waldman's predictions,  all of us Edwards owners are going to be very happy!

I don't know about this one. I remember I really liked him coming out of college but when he actually stepped on an NFL field he looked terrible. I don't see him forecasting for much than a possession guy who ends up with around 850 to 900 yards as his ceiling.

I'd love to be wrong even though I have moved on from him in various leagues. I've just never seen a player look as hapless as him in Year 1 end up being a world beater. I'm not saying he can't be a quality WR2 on an NFL team but I don't think he's got the ability to get separation at this level to make him fantasy relevant.

I can almost guarantee that John (Smokey) Brown exceeds him in every receiving category this season. I'd sell hell at the first chance I get if you are still rostering him.
Any predictions on what team John (Smokey) Brown will be doing this for?  I'm sure they would love to know.

Hey bub, I don't follow the 24/7 news cycle of the NFL like I did when I was in high school. I'm more of a talent analyst at this point.

Veteran John Brown becomes free agent after requesting his release from the Raiders

My apologies for missing this piece of news that came out less than 24 hours ago. I don't obsess or focus on lower tier talent like I used to.

In fact, I'm glad my mind isn't full of useless information like this anymore. Neither Brown or Edwards move the needle in any meaningful way.

With that said, if you have any feedback for the 3 paragraphs of analysis of Bryan Edwards, you know, the subject of this thread I would greatly appreciate it.

But passive aggressively pointing out that Smokey Brown was released (he asked to be released, wasn't talent related) and not giving me any feedback about my in-depth writeup of Bryan Edwards is hilariously unhelpful.

Are we talking football? Or are we playing gotcha? Mind you, he was released less than 24 hours ago.

I missed my draft let alone having the free time to read player news about players that will not be on ANYONE'S championship teams this year.

ETA: Thank you for this information, by the way. Just feels you could have been more tactful with your words at 6AM given the John Brown has been released for under 24 hours.

It's reasonable to understand news like this about a journeyman player could be missed. Don't sweat the small stuff, homie.

Lighten up, bub, and take you own advice about the small stuff...It was a light hearted jab.  That's quite a response though, for something so trivial.  Well done sir!

Waldman had some really high praise for Edwards in his new Gut Check article. I already have him in all my leagues but if he even gets close to Waldman's predictions,  all of us Edwards owners are going to be very happy!

Oh no, not more Shark Pool and Waldman overhype!!

I tried to get him on as many teams as possible, but as the weeks went by, he kept going higher and higher, to a point I wasn't willing to draft him anymore.

I just don't see how Edwards can get the volume to get near what Waldman predicted in his Gut Check article.  Since Gruden came to the Raiders, they have had 238, 211, & 268 WR targets total.  The most any WR has had in those 3 years is 88, by Jordy Nelson in 2018.  To get to the 1100/8 to 1330/12 that Waldman says is possible, either the Raiders offense is going to have to undergo a significant change, Edwards is going to have to have an unbelievably efficient season, or Waller is going to have to disappear.  I certainly like what I've read about Edwards, but recent history would seem to point to 90 targets, 60/900/7 being the reasonable upside projection.

Lighten up, bub, and take you own advice about the small stuff...It was a light hearted jab.  That's quite a response though, for something so trivial.  Well done sir!

He seems to have missed what I think was your underlying point... i.e. if he was that wrong about Smoke Brown (not about him being cut, but about him being a legit contender for LVR market share), maybe, just maybe, he might be a little off with Edwards as well.

@Kingpin90 Like Ruggs, Edwards got injured early last season and never re-emerged afterward. Waller was always the #1, Agholor ascended to #2 with a vice grip, Renfrow/Ruggs split #3 looks and Edwards was left out in the cold after missing a bunch of time with a high-ankle sprain.

This year, Agholor (and now Brown) are gone, leaving a vacuum for Agholor's 82 targets. Maybe Ruggs gets them. Maybe Edwards. Maybe they cannabalize one another. Maybe they compliment one another. Maybe Zay Jones trumps them both. I'm not sure. But I have seen enough of Edwards passing my eye test to say that *if* he stays healthy, he is a contender in this race.

Another thing to consider is that Carr has been steadily improving each year under Gruden. If he takes another step fwd, and especially if Ruggs takes the top off D's consistently, then there is going to be lots of operating room underneath for Waller and Edwards. Lastly, consider that Waller received 146 targets last year. Part of that is b/c he's awesome. Part of it was b/c the Raiders' outside WR corps was Nelson Agholor and two talented but dinged-up rookies.

I just don't see how Edwards can get the volume to get near what Waldman predicted in his Gut Check article.  Since Gruden came to the Raiders, they have had 238, 211, & 268 WR targets total.  The most any WR has had in those 3 years is 88, by Jordy Nelson in 2018.  To get to the 1100/8 to 1330/12 that Waldman says is possible, either the Raiders offense is going to have to undergo a significant change, Edwards is going to have to have an unbelievably efficient season, or Waller is going to have to disappear.  I certainly like what I've read about Edwards, but recent history would seem to point to 90 targets, 60/900/7 being the reasonable upside projection.

Agreed. Unless Carr ascends to 5000/40+ levels, there isn't enough to go around without Waller and/or Ruggs stepping aside. That said, I think Carr ascending to that stratosphere is unlikely this year, but not impossible. He's hit 4k yards almost on the nose in every year but one of his seven non-rookie seasons. And since Gruden came along, Carr's Y/A jumped by a full yard from ~7 to ~8 and his QBR from ~50 to 71 last season. This is an ascending player. The question is whether he has hit his ceiling yet. I don't think he has, but I also think the Raiders will be a run-focused team in 2021, especially if their defense shows some improvement.

Raiders just signed KJ Wright, after adding Denzel Perryman last week - these two moves could turn a huge weakness in their D at LB into a strength if they both pan out. All of a sudden, on paper at least, the Raiders D doesn't look so bad, with solid players at all three levels. They have the potential now to take some big strides this season under new DC Gus Bradley IMO.

IF they do, that is bad news for the fantasy prospects of Carr and the Raiders WRs and good news for Jacobs/Drake. Gruden is not the type of coach to run up leads. If the Raiders go up by 2+ TDs in any given week, expect heavy running thereafter.

Raiders just signed KJ Wright, after adding Denzel Perryman last week - these two moves could turn a huge weakness in their D at LB into a strength if they both pan out. All of a sudden, on paper at least, the Raiders D doesn't look so bad, with solid players at all three levels. They have the potential now to take some big strides this season under new DC Gus Bradley IMO.

IF they do, that is bad news for the fantasy prospects of Carr and the Raiders WRs and good news for Jacobs/Drake. Gruden is not the type of coach to run up leads. If the Raiders go up by 2+ TDs in any given week, expect heavy running thereafter.
Disagree.  The D getting off the field can only mean good things for the passing game.  Getting the ball back quicker and more often would give us more TOP and more volume overall.  Bigger pie is always > smaller pie.

GoBirds said:
Need this guy to be something.....😑

Coaching staff seems impressed and comparing him to guys like T.O. - I don't think Gruden the coach is going to be issuing Gruden Grinders to garbage no-namers like he did when he was commentating.  Seems like a no-nonsense type and tells it how it is in the locker room.

I do think a step forward for Edwards means a step backward for Waller, which is why I avoided (outside of Dynasty) this receiving group entirely.  

I do think a step forward for Edwards means a step backward for Waller, which is why I avoided (outside of Dynasty) this receiving group entirely.  
A step forward is highly likely for Edwards but that is not saying much since he did so little last year.   Waller probably takes a step back but should still finish as a top 3 TE.   Renfrow, Edwards, Ruggs, and Drake are going to get targets.  Carr will spread the ball around making it difficult to determine which WR is worth starting week to week.  

Oh no, not more Shark Pool and Waldman overhype!!

I tried to get him on as many teams as possible, but as the weeks went by, he kept going higher and higher, to a point I wasn't willing to draft him anymore.
Where is he going high? I haven't seen him drafted in any of my 15-round leagues yet.

i have a share.  really hope this guy shines.  i don't believe in ruggs.  i think reception production is going to be waller, renfrow, jones/edwards, allRBs, ruggs, snead

hoping he shines this season. it's the raiders. doesn't inspire confidence in grudens last season in LV. no way he makes it if they're 9-7 8-9 as always. 

I'll take brandin cooks all day over edwards. no one wants cooks it's shocking they're going to forcehim the ball. Edwards is a nice story, maybe tom rinaldi interviews him with slow elevator music playing in the background at some point.but not with Carr at the helm. Chucky's last stand in LV isn't going to be good 

Last edited by a moderator:
Where is he going high? I haven't seen him drafted in any of my 15-round leagues yet.

In a matter of days last week, he went round 18 (me), 13, 13 (me) (I had seen his ADP run up a lot), 12, 8 (OMG), 13, 11.  After the one stab I took at him at 13, I decided even that was too high considering what else was left at WR and that he has yet to do anything in the NFL.  I would have loved to have picked him up in the 16-18 range in every league.

Edit:  the last one (round 11) is a keep 4 league.  All others are redraft.

hoping he shines this season. it's the raiders. doesn't inspire confidence in grudens last season in LV. no way he makes it if they're 9-7 8-9 as always. 

I'll take brandin cooks all day over edwards. no one wants cooks it's shocking they're going to forcehim the ball. Edwards is a nice story, maybe tom rinaldi interviews him with slow elevator music playing in the background at some point.but not with Carr at the helm. Chucky's last stand in LV isn't going to be good 

Hardly a fair comparison.  The subscribers contest auction, which tracks well versus ADP, has Cooks at $16 and Edwards at $4.  So, sure, I'll take Tyreek Hill over Nelson Agholor, but c'mon man.

I'll take brandin cooks all day over edwards. no one wants cooks it's shocking they're going to forcehim the ball.

Edwards

is a nice story, maybe tom rinaldi interviews him with slow elevator music playing in the background at some point.but not with

Carr

at the helm. Chucky's last stand in LV isn't going to be good 
Not sure what the comp is between Cooks and Edwards. They are going about 80 spots apart from each other in drafts. The decision is more like Edwards or Gabriel Davis or Amon Ra. Also why can't a WR do well with Carr? He supported multiple fantasy viable WRs in the past. Remember Amari Cooper and Michael Crabtree?

Bryan Edwards caught 4-of-5 targets for 81 yards in the Raiders' Week 1 win over the Ravens.

Edwards didn't catch his first pass until there was less than a minute to play in the fourth quarter, but the summer puff-piece All-Pro made some big plays late to help get the Raiders the win. He caught a couple balls to get Daniel Carlson in field goal range at the end of regulation and also reeled in a 32-yarder in overtime. Edwards needs to string some games together before we consider him a fantasy option. The Raiders go to Pittsburgh in Week 2.

Hard to know where this offense is going.  Carr isn't going to throw that much every game.  

Edwards and Ruggs were non-existent well into the second half

Carr and this offensive is too conservative to get consistent value out of the WR position. Especially with Ruggs and Edwards competing for so little targets. Such a shame. 

Carr and this offensive is too conservative to get consistent value out of the WR position. Especially with Ruggs and Edwards competing for so little targets. Such a shame. 
Agree with this take. Maybe the light came on for Edwards and his confidence grew after last night. But just don’t see enough volume here after Waller is force fed when Carr does throw.

They threw the ball 34 times a game last year. Nelson Agholor has 900/8. Why do we think they don’t pass enough to support a 2nd option?
I think there can be a 2nd option, but Ruggs and Edwards may cancel each other out unless one steps up like Agholor did.

Carr didn't throw to Waller and Renfrow, until he did.

He is definitely too conservative, but his throws to Renfrow and Waller, he's not. He throws to tight windows there. 

There's no telling when he gets more comfortable with them, but if becomes as confident in Edwards and Ruggs as he is Renfrow, they might really make some noise. 

Edwards owners should really pay attention to what targets he is getting. He starts getting targets on vital downs, might be time to get excited. 

With Waller and Renfrow, I don't see 8 targets a game tho. 

They threw the ball 34 times a game last year. Nelson Agholor has 900/8. Why do we think they don’t pass enough to support a 2nd option?
I’m with you.   I think the Raiders pass plenty this season.  While Gruden wants to run the ball, Jacobs is already nursing a sore toe.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he is shut down for a few weeks at some point and there is no way he can carry a decent workload all season.    Drake seems more suited as a receiver.   Also, the Raider D looks improved but it’s not going to stop or even slow down most opponents.  

The problem is not that Carr doesn’t pass enough.   The problem for FF is that there isn’t a true second option behind Waller.  Renfrow tends to be that guy but he’s not winning FF leagues.  Maybe Edwards grows into the second option but it could also be Zay Jones.   

I wouldn't describe Carr as conservative.  I mean, some of the throws he made to Waller seemed pretty forced.  He has zero trust in any receiver around him.  Hopefully, Edwards can earn some of that trust. 

I think there can be a 2nd option, but Ruggs and Edwards may cancel each other out unless one steps up like Agholor did.
Something is going to have to happen with Ruggs - he isn't physical and doesn't look nearly as fast as he did in college.  I think he had a play last night where Carr threw it behind him too, which tells me - even if Ruggs is open in space, Carr can't hit him in stride.  

In my opinion, Carr just isn't very good.  He has good plays, but the majority of plays look pretty bad. He's skittish, scared and lacks confidence.  He also doesn't seem to step into his throws unless he has the cleanest pocket.  I think we have seen the best out of Derek Carr.  

He was non-existent until the 55 minute mark of the game. I'm not sure the catches he had in OT are a sustainable path going forward.

| have edwards and ruggs and at this point I think i would keep edwards and drop ruggs.  Edwards at least flashes and is a nice big target

I agree though non existent through 98% of that game

He was non-existent until the 55 minute mark of the game. I'm not sure the catches he had in OT are a sustainable path going forward.
Strange game for sure. I would understand the opposite... throwing him early and then away from the unproven player at crunch time. How does one explain no targets until the game is on the line, and then several targets? JMHO, if the Raiders want to create opportunities for Waller they should do the opposite of what they did last night. Go to other options early to force them to be accounted for by the defense, and then opportunistically target Waller. 

Waller had 19 targets last night

those other guys are ok, but Edwards flashed some big play capabilities and he has earned more work
Odds are that Waller doesn’t see 19 targets in another game this season.  Carr will have to target WRs.   Maybe Edwards is that guy.   I would guess it is him over Ruggs.   

Odds are that Waller doesn’t see 19 targets in another game this season.  Carr will have to target WRs.   Maybe Edwards is that guy.   I would guess it is him over Ruggs.   
Bryan Edwards: "I'm your huckleberry"

Waller had 19 targets last night

those other guys are ok, but Edwards flashed some big play capabilities and he has earned more work
While I like Edwards, his 1st catch was at the end of regulation!  Why ignore him all game and then target him 9 times when the game is on the line?  I am not sure I trust him yet, especially with Balt Def taking injuries. 

I think Ruggs is basically Teddy Ginn 2.0 so he doesn't worry me much at all but I see the concern. The real issue is Renfrow. Edwards should be stealing some of those over the middle safer throws as well. 

Gruden seems like one of those coaches who will put the ball in your hands once you've gained his trust and Edwards probably earned some more with his showing at the end of the game. Hopefully Gruden dials up some plays for him / calls his number more moving forward.

Gruden seems like one of those coaches who will put the ball in your hands once you've gained his trust and Edwards probably earned some more with his showing at the end of the game. Hopefully Gruden dials up some plays for him / calls his number more moving forward.
Hopefully he earned some trust from Car as well. Edwards is the type of WR that QBs need to toss it up to and allow him to make a play. He wins at the catch point. 

Hopefully he earned some trust from Car as well. Edwards is the type of WR that QBs need to toss it up to and allow him to make a play. He wins at the catch point. 

His last play last night was the epitome of this. Carr threw it up for him and Bryan went up and snatched it in true WR1 form - was inches away from walk-off TD glory.

His last play last night was the epitome of this. Carr threw it up for him and Bryan went up and snatched it in true WR1 form - was inches away from walk-off TD glory.
In my mind he walked it off, refs called TD. Instant Replay is unconstitutional. 

Rough night on the injury front.

Good down with an ACL, McCoy carted off, Mariota & Ngakoue both hurt (not sure how bad).

Users who are viewing this thread