What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worst Group of Opposing QBs Ever? (1 Viewer)

bengalbuck

Footballguy
The recent thread asking whether the Browns could replicate the Bengals 2011 success forced me to take a closer look at exactly how the Bengals were able to pull off a winning season despite a rookie QB and lack of veteran talent.

Upon closer examination, one of my discoveries scared the crap out of me as a Bengals when thinking about the Bengals' chance of success this year, I looked at the group of QBs the Bengals faced last year...

I think the QB competition the Bengals faced last season has to go down as the worst in the recent history of the NFL.

Here is how I'd rank the Bengals' 2011 opposing QBs from strongest to weakest (the QBs the Bengals beat are in bold):

1. Ben Rothlisberger

2. Ben Rothlisberger

3. Joe Flacco

4. Joe Flacco

5. Alex Smith

6. Ryan Fitzpatrick

7. Matt Hasselbeck

8. Kyle Orton

9. Tavaris Jackson

10. TJ Yates

11. John Skelton

12. Colt McCoy

13. Colt McCoy

14. Curtis Painter

15. Blaine Gabbert

16. Kellen Clemons

The order is highly debatable but the awfulness surely is not. It is amazing how incredibly lucky the Bengals were with last year's schedule. I honestly think this could be the easiest slate of QBs any NFL team in recent history has ever gone up against....

Fun facts, based on these rankings:

1. Half of the opposing QBs the Bengals faced in 2011 were worse than Kyle Orton....

2. The Bengals' 3rd best victory last season (based in part on strength of opposing QB) was over Tarvaris Jackson and the Seahawks...

3. Due to injury, the Bengals missed playing Peyton Manning, Matt Schaub and Sam Bradford. Instead, they faced Curtis Painter, TJ Yates and Kellen Clemons....

4. The 3rd best QB the Bengals faced in all of 2011 was Alex Smith....

Can anyone find a worse 16 game slate of QBs in recent history or do the 2011 Bengals take the crappy QB cake?

Last edited by a moderator:
that is sick.....

reminds of the schedule....not neccessarily QB schedule... the Chiefs had 2 years ago when they went 10-6 and made the playoffs only to get exposed badly at home in the playoffs against BAL.....

that is sick.....reminds of the schedule....not neccessarily QB schedule... the Chiefs had 2 years ago when they went 10-6 and made the playoffs only to get exposed badly at home in the playoffs against BAL.....
Or like the 49ers last year. Dont get me wrong, they were a good team, but their record was definitely bumped by playing the Rams, Cardinals, and Seahawks all twice. Add in the Skins, Browns, Bucs, and Bengals. How could they NOT go 13-3?

I'd say the 2011 Patriots stack up.

Chronologically:

Chad Henne

Philip Rivers

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Jason Campbell

Mark Sanchez

Tony Romo

Ben Roethlisberger

Eli Manning

Mark Sanchez

Tyler Palko

Vince Young

Dan Orlovsky

Rex Grossman

Tim Tebow

Matt Moore

Ryan Fitzpatrick

Interesting. So how does the Bengals QB schedule look this year?

I wish there was an easy way to compile upcoming strength of QB schedules to analyze defenses for this year. I think this is a solid metric to consider.

Interesting. So how does the Bengals QB schedule look this year?I wish there was an easy way to compile upcoming strength of QB schedules to analyze defenses for this year. I think this is a solid metric to consider.
It is a great idea, but as the OP mentioned, some of it was due to injury. It was like a perfect storm (in a good way) for the Bengals.

Interesting. So how does the Bengals QB schedule look this year?I wish there was an easy way to compile upcoming strength of QB schedules to analyze defenses for this year. I think this is a solid metric to consider.
It is a great idea, but as the OP mentioned, some of it was due to injury. It was like a perfect storm (in a good way) for the Bengals.
the injury thing in a little different respect happened to Den last year as well as they got CHI right after they lost Forte, Min after losing ADP, and OAK right after losing McFadden...while they were in the middle of there 6 game winning streak with Tebow...

Their schedule looks pretty brutal. The first half isn't too bad, but looks pretty rough after their bye. On paper, I'd say it's one of the toughest.Mon 9/10 at Baltimore 7:00 pmSun 9/16 Cleveland 1:00 pmSun 9/23 at Washington 1:00 pmSun 9/30 at Jacksonville 4:05 pmSun 10/7 Miami 1:00 pmSun 10/14 at Cleveland 1:00 pmSun 10/21 Pittsburgh 8:20 pmByeSun 11/4 Denver 1:00 pmSun 11/11 NY Giants 1:00 pmSun 11/18 at Kansas City 1:00 pmSun 11/25 Oakland 1:00 pmSun 12/2 at San Diego 4:25 pmSun 12/9 Dallas 1:00 pmThu 12/13 at Philadelphia 8:20 pmSun 12/23 at Pittsburgh 1:00 pmSun 12/30 Baltimore 1:00 pm

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a big believer in Defense by committee... I have already picked up the Cincy D in all three dynasty leagues to start weeks 2-6. Then drop them and forget about them.

Interesting. So how does the Bengals QB schedule look this year?

I wish there was an easy way to compile upcoming strength of QB schedules to analyze defenses for this year. I think this is a solid metric to consider.
Their schedule looks pretty brutal. The first half isn't too bad, but looks pretty rough after their bye. On paper, I'd say it's one of the toughest.Mon 9/10 at Baltimore 7:00 pm - Flacco

Sun 9/16 Cleveland 1:00 pm - Rookie

Sun 9/23 at Washington 1:00 pm - Rookie

Sun 9/30 at Jacksonville 4:05 pm - Gabbert

Sun 10/7 Miami 1:00 pm - Rookie?

Sun 10/14 at Cleveland 1:00 pm - Rookie

Sun 10/21 Pittsburgh 8:20 pm - Roethlisberger

Bye

Sun 11/4 Denver 1:00 pm - Manning

Sun 11/11 NY Giants 1:00 pm - Manning

Sun 11/18 at Kansas City 1:00 pm - Cassel

Sun 11/25 Oakland 1:00 pm - Palmer

Sun 12/2 at San Diego 4:25 pm - Rivers

Sun 12/9 Dallas 1:00 pm - Romo

Thu 12/13 at Philadelphia 8:20 pm - Vick

Sun 12/23 at Pittsburgh 1:00 pm - Roethlisberger

Sun 12/30 Baltimore 1:00 pm - Flacco
Going by QBs, it doesn't start off too tough. After the bye week, it gets much tougher.

NE this year. Manning and Schaub are the only QB getting drafted in the first 10 rounds according to ADP

1 - Locker

2 - Kolb

3 - Flacco

4 - Fitzpatrick

5 - Manning

6 - Jackson/Flynn

7 - Sanchez

8 - Bradford

9 - Bye

10 - Fitzpatrick

11 - Luck

12 - Sanchez

13 - Miami

14 - Schaub

15 - Alex Smith

16 - Gabbert

17 - Miami

Bet the over on the # of wins for NE this year

2011 Steelers look pretty bad as well

1. Joe Flacco

2. Tavaris Jackson

3. Kerry Collins/Curtis Painter

4. Matt Schaub

5. Matt Hassellbeck

6. Blaine Gabbert

7. Kevin Kolb

8. Tom Brady

9. Joe Flacco

10. Andy Dalton

12. Tyler Palko

13. Andy Dalton

14. Colt McCoy

15. Alex Smith

16. Kellen Clemens

17. Seneca Wallace

Round 1: Tim Tebow

While I recognize the fact that they did play some bad QBs last year, they also faced one of the toughest group of Defenses.

By yards per game ranking

Pittsburg 1st X2

Houston 2nd X1

Baltimore 3rd X2

San Fran 4th X1

Jacksonville 6th X1

Seattle 9th X1

Cleveland 10th X2

That is 10 games against top 10 defenses, and KC was ranked 11th.

I would say you could fear a little bit for the Bengals Defense this year, but it just makes what the rookie QB/WR combo did last year even more impressive. Very rarely do teams have great defenses AND a great quarterback leading the offense. It was just the nature of the beast.

If the Bengals defense can gel a little in those first 6 games, I think they will be fine. Hall should be back and fully 100% by the end of the bye. I don't know that they will be #7 again this year, but I think they end up 10-12.

Fantasy wise, depending on the point structure, I would feel confident having them as part of a DBC.

Watch out for the Buffalo Bills. Here is their list of opposing QB's this year.

1. Sanchez/Tebow

2. Cassell

3. McCoy/Weeden

4. Brady

5. Alex Smith

6. Kolb/Skelton

7. Hasselbeck/Locker

8. Bye

9. Schaub

10. Brady

11. Moore/Tannehill

12. Luck