What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Worst airport you've ever spent time in (1 Viewer)

Dulles. You hike. You wait. You get a train that drops you off for another long hike. Ridiculous. TPA are literally thieves. I almost got thrown in jail when they stole my daughter's Christmas presents. Lush bath bombs. Bombs! They claimed as they pocketed them away. #####es. 

I loathe O'Hare due to the size and I always seem to end up running 2 miles to catch my connecting flight. Food options suck. San Francisco is nice but you frequently encounter delays due to fog so I try to avoid it if possible. 

I like Vegas since I'm able to smoke in the slot machine rooms. Portland is clean and has good food options.

I loathe O'Hare due to the size and I always seem to end up running 2 miles to catch my connecting flight. Food options suck. San Francisco is nice but you frequently encounter delays due to fog so I try to avoid it if possible. 

I like Vegas since I'm able to smoke in the slot machine rooms. Portland is clean and has good food options.
Oakland is the pro move.

Flew on Southwest from San Jose to San Antonio with a stop in San Diego. The gate area in San Diego upon departing the plane was the size of a postage stamp, people crammed everywhere. The gate for my connecting flight was in a different terminal so I had to exit security and go through security again at the other terminal.  Apparently, Southwest doesn't have all of their flights in the same terminal there.  I don't recall running into that at any other airport.

Newark, LaGuardia and Kennedy all resemble Third World airports. LaGuardia flights are on time only 69% of the time, the buildings are decrepit, and frankly it's tiny for the volume it services. The NYC terminals are the cause of more flight delays nationwide by a country mile.
JFK terminal 4 was expanded, and they make you walk a mile to get to the gate through a shopping mall of stores that nobody wants to shop at. And I swear if you are arriving late at night on an inbound flight and every single gate is open, they will still park the plane at the furthest possible gate from baggage claim. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Vancouver is great.  Raleigh is pretty good.  I’m partial to my home airport in Austin.  I like Philli.  Really, Pearson?  I found it nondescript.

Charlotte is good for a hub.  Decent food and some space (outside of the jammed terminal corridors).  
I’m in Austin now.  The layout is good, but the bathrooms are dirtier than some of the bars on 6th street.  

Had a 2 hr layover in Newark that turned into a 5 hr layover with a delay.  It was a dump and absolutely FREEZING at our gate. 

Another vote for Ft. Lauderdale. Hell on earth. Slowest security lines ever. Overcrowded. You can almost never find a seat at a restaurant or a bar. Small terminals. Hate that place. 
Yep, and when you do find a seat the food is absolutely terrible.

Vancouver is great.  Raleigh is pretty good.  I’m partial to my home airport in Austin.  I like Philli.  Really, Pearson?  I found it nondescript.

Charlotte is good for a hub.  Decent food and some space (outside of the jammed terminal corridors).  
Pro Tip on Austin Airport - avoid the surly bartenders at Ray Benson's Roadhouse Bar. It looks like a decent airport bar, but don't let them fool you.

SFO is a fantastic airport, particularly if you fly United.

I have flown out of SFO 12x/year for 12 years or so. I've never been delayed due to fog. It's really not that common.

Oakland is an excellent mid-size airport. I also put Portland and Milwaukee in the top of mid-size airports.

Didn't mind Newark, but only been through there once.  Hate Paris De Gaulle.  What a horrible design.

Special anti-kudos to Providence for a walk to the rental cars that's at least a mile long.  The guys driving the carts must make a fortune.

On the plus side I got a kick out of Palm Springs (enjoyed the airport way more than the town).  No covered walkways between the terminals and token umbrellas at the entrances.  :thumbup:

Beijing. But that's kind of to be expected given the volume.

Baghdad international was a #####.

Thankfully my two favorites are the ones we use most often. (Relatively small cities) Unfortunately that means no non-stop flights between the two.

I don't remember the airport itself that much but a few decades ago I flew to Jacksonville NC airport and the ticket dude was sporting goat eye contact lenses. 

I don't think O'Hare's that bad  :shrug:
I have had amazing luck out of ohare so i cant complain either. Well except when the hook my laptop bag was hanging on in the bathroom fell out of the door and my laptop screen broke in the corner and the dvd player wont play more than 55 minutes of a movie. 

Newark is a dump
NJ is a dump.moved outta that s***hole last year. happy as hell that I left. Newark in particular, is a dump of epic proportions.the city, the always under construction airport, the car rentals are at least 2 airtran stops away or a shuttle to the heart of the ghetto, it's a complete travesty in every way.but its still better than friggin LGA what a craphole that place is..nearly straight up max verttical take offs and drop out of the sky landings..worst place to fly for the nervous flier.I mean, I've herd the pilot warn us on take off in St Thomas about steeeeep take offs but lga is cray-cray. the landings are like 'we're at 5k feet , flight attendants prepare for landing' and with that ..boom.you're at 250ft  and about to slam down at 1000 miles per hour..

FT Lauderdale is kinda cool..except for the twin 7-story parking garages..I spent 2 hours looking for my car once, flying ft lauderdale to newark..drank a 12 pak in the car in the parking lot ( fear of heights and flying) , TOTALLY forgot to look where the hell i'd parked my car.took 2 hours to find the &@#%&@#$ thing..walking all over two garages ..finally the FOB worked and i could hear the faint sound of a car honking to the beats of my button pressing..you need to check astrological signs, the wind, curvature of the earth, moon phase before you EVER park in Ft Lauderdale airport, jesus christmas..and everyone I've spoken to here in FL says the same thing, that they've spent hours looking for their car. most of these ppl now fly out of west palm.

Dublin Ireland isn't the best either..

st maarten is/was the best..fun take off with the nuts at the end of the runway waving goodbye

Currently doing time in KCs, waiting impatiently for a connecting flight out of here.

I'm by far not the most frequent traveller, but this place is (maybe) a shade better than what I imagine a third world one would be.

Horrid.

I'm sure there are worse?
I like that one... just make sure you eat at the restaurant outside security. The Royals diner or whatever sucks. 

Dallas is my my least favorite. 

Didn't mind Newark, but only been through there once.  Hate Paris De Gaulle.  What a horrible design.

Special anti-kudos to Providence for a walk to the rental cars that's at least a mile long.  The guys driving the carts must make a fortune.

On the plus side I got a kick out of Palm Springs (enjoyed the airport way more than the town).  No covered walkways between the terminals and token umbrellas at the entrances.  :thumbup:
I had a connection through CDG and it was awful, but flying direct in and out of there was fine

first time i went to Cabo ('80, maybe?) the terminal in San Jose del Cabo was an actual circus tent. the next year, we flew in thru the eye of a hurricane and our porter accidently did the old pup tent trick - when he slung our bags atop his shoulder, the tip touched the besotted canvas and soaked him and our bags in a rush of water.
First trip to the usvi, mid 80's, the terminal was literally a thatched hut.  They brought the luggage to us in hand pulled carts. 

I like that one... just make sure you eat at the restaurant outside security. The Royals diner or whatever sucks. 

Dallas is my my least favorite. 
Doesn't help when connecting through there.  

Unwilling to go through security again, no matter the food.

Slight hijack...flew out of Newark with strong crosswinds. Northwest asks for 17 volunteers to lighten load. After some coaxing with $400, they get the volunteers. A few minutes later, the volunteers get back on the plane. Northwest decided they didn't want to pay them. Capt announces we are going to the end of the runway to burn off fuel for 20 min. Pilot sitting next to me takes out pen and paper and does some calculations, turns to me and says “we should be ok”  :mellow: .
Lol...that's awesome.  As an aeospace engineer I always make a comment about the seriousness of the mechanical issue or about statistics catching up with me.

I was told to shut up by a flight attendant when I had to much to drink and told my entire row that should one of our engines experience a fan blade failure we would all instantly die.  The rest of the flight didn't appreciate my comment that I'd rather die instantly than scream for minutes as the plane crashed to the ground.

Depends on the terminals but Newark is the first one that came to mind. Terrible food especially when you get past security, always too hot, not enough bathrooms. Just sucks.

Best (North America): Denver, Minny, Pearson (Toronto), San Fran, Houston.  Vancouver. 
Austin, Minneapolis, Portland, Seattle, and SFO for me.

The SFO terminal for Virgin/Alaska has pretty great food, a bookstore, and plenty of seats and chargers.

Forgot about DeGaulle....awful!

Interestingly, in my experience, the main airports in Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore were all better than any US airport I have been to.

There's a sushi place that is decent. 
That fancy looking place sort of between concourses in the middle of nowhere?  Always walk by thinking it actually looks good, then I think about what sushi can do.  No thanks prior to a flight.   :lmao:

Interestingly, in my experience, the main airports in Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore were all better than any US airport I have been to.
Seoul has the best airport I've been to for a layover. Shot nine holes without leaving the airport and had fantastic food choices. The wimmens went to a spa. Incheon International. 

That fancy looking place sort of between concourses in the middle of nowhere?  Always walk by thinking it actually looks good, then I think about what sushi can do.  No thanks prior to a flight.   :lmao:
That's the place! I make the hike to the place when I have the time every trip through there. It's decent, don't be scared. Few pieces of Salmon, some miso, maybe a roll and you are all good.

I've eaten Sushi at Detroit - surprisingly nice airport. I like to live dangerously.

Laguardia is the worst. JFK and Newark are fine.
LaGuardia makes me hate Fiorello LaGuardia.  The construction going on created this scenario; it took me 1.25 to exit the airport with a rental car after my plane landed and i had no bags.

You need to somehow exit the terminal, then figure out a bus to take, which actually leaves the airport, the returns to take you to another area so you can catch a bus to your rental car.  The first bus actually passes by the rental car locations, but they won’t stop.

I don’t even consider LGA an airport anymore when traveling.

I used to love LaGuardia but that was only because I worked for a huge company that printed airline tickets in our office and had a Hertz counter as well. Flew the shuttles every week to Washington National and you could use the tickets on either airline so there was never a wait (every half hour). That was pre-911 though.

Not sure if the old terminal in Detroit is still there. That was a smelly hole. I hated Miami when it was under construction and Atlanta sucks mainly because you are always delayed. 
The old Detroit airport was a hole.  

While NO, KC, and STL are crummy, I hate Ohare the most.   It is a spread out cluster.  And, after having to spend a night in that airport last year, it will always be the worst.  

Slight hijack...flew out of Newark with strong crosswinds. Northwest asks for 17 volunteers to lighten load. After some coaxing with $400, they get the volunteers. A few minutes later, the volunteers get back on the plane. Northwest decided they didn't want to pay them. Capt announces we are going to the end of the runway to burn off fuel for 20 min. Pilot sitting next to me takes out pen and paper and does some calculations, turns to me and says “we should be ok”  :mellow: .
Were you ok?

Garoua airport in Cameroon. Flight was suppose to leave at 8 am and didn’t leave until 3 (no explanation was ever given for the delay). It was an open air terminal, it was hot, dusty, and smelled of livestock. 

Users who are viewing this thread