What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

With the 18th Pick the Steelers Select... Laquon Treadwell (1 Viewer)

steelers1080

Footballguy
It would be crazy, right?  No one would see it coming, but that would make it all the more interesting.  I think that Treadwell is the best WR in this class, and at the end of the year that seemed to be the consensus.  Now that we've gone through the testing at the combine and pro-days, people are worried about his speed and he seems to be slipping.  He could still easily go in the top 15 of the draft, and after reading this article written by Treadwell it would be easy to see why.  Most teams in the top half of the draft have a need at WR, but bigger needs elsewhere.  The chances of him making it through the gauntlet of Buffalo, NYJ, Washington, Houston, Minnesota, and Cincinnati are probably nonexistent.  That's why I propose a trade.

The Steelers send the Colts Picks 25 and 58 and a 2017 6th for picks 18 and 82.  They leap in front of those WR-needy teams to pick a player who maybe doesn't test well, but is a true football player.  They don't have a desperate need for WR, but it wouldn't be the first time they traded up for a WR they liked.  They traded up 7 spots in the 2006 draft and I vote that they do it again 10 years later.  Can you even picture a team trying to defend against Antonio Brown, Leveon Bell, Ladarius Green, Laquon Treadwell and Sammie Coates or Martavis Bryant?  Who do you put your top cornerback on, or your 2nd best, or 3rd...  Pittsburgh is going to win by having an explosive offense this year, why not add a bit more fuel to the fire?

I was reading some interesting information in this article about Rick Spielman and how often has he made trades compared to the other 31 teams over the past five years.

A couple of interesting things to note. The nickname 'Trader Rick' is well earned for Spielman, as he has swung 17 trades since 2011, tied for fourth with Tampa Bay, and only trailing Cleveland, San Francisco, and Philadelphia. And Green Bay general manager Ted Thompson, who has a reputation of building the Packers through the draft, doesn't make as many deals as I had thought. The Packers are active, but they actually trail Detroit in terms of deals struck, which surprised me. On the other end of the spectrum, Cincinnati and Pittsburgh rarely make trades, just two each, which was the fewest among the 32 teams, with the New York Giants next at only three deals.
So it would be surprising because the Steelers do not often make trades.

I like the move for them although I think they have more desperate need for a corner.

Pretty unlikely but every year there are several unlikely things that happen on draft day so certainly plausible.

They traded up for Polamalu.  Don't know that there is someone so special in this draft to do that for knowing that Jalon Smith's knee doesn't look so hot and Jalen Ramsey is expected to go top 4.  If Ramsey fell to 8 or 10 they may start making phone calls, but . . .  ain't gonna happen.  No way to they go up to get a slow WR.  They do what they usually do and take one or two WRs in the 3rd or later and find their gems.

Users who are viewing this thread