What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

William Powell (1 Viewer)

http://www.azcardinals.com/news-and-events/article-2/With-Beanie-On-IR-Williams-Ready/d2f2794d-88c9-4047-a121-46bc75fa3e82

probably coachspeak, but

To replace Wells on the roster, the Cardinals re-signed running back Alfonso Smith. Williams figures to get the bulk of the carries he said expects an increase of five to 10 but coach Ken Whisenhunt was quick to point out backups LaRod Stephens-Howling and William Powell as candidates to get work.

We certainly feel comfortable with the other guys carrying the ball so well still continue to split time with the backs just because thats the way weve done it, Whisenhunt said.

Last edited by a moderator:
Per Rotoworld:

"Cardinals RB William Powell is expected to be active this week for the first time in four games.

The NFL's preseason rushing leader beat out Alfonso Smith for a roster spot, but was fourth on the depth chart before Beanie Wells' turf toe injury. Powell could see action versus the Dolphins with LaRod Stephens-Howling nursing a hip injury, but he's not a fantasy option. Ryan Williams will see the bulk of the carries in this backfield. Sep 28 - 8:49 AM"

Now that the main stream media of fantasy sports makes mention, the cat may be out of the bag with all the rotoworld robots checking him out............... If you are considering grabbing him but haven't yet, you should make a move soon..

Per Rotoworld:

"Cardinals RB William Powell is expected to be active this week for the first time in four games.

The NFL's preseason rushing leader beat out Alfonso Smith for a roster spot, but was fourth on the depth chart before Beanie Wells' turf toe injury. Powell could see action versus the Dolphins with LaRod Stephens-Howling nursing a hip injury, but he's not a fantasy option. Ryan Williams will see the bulk of the carries in this backfield. Sep 28 - 8:49 AM"

Now that the main stream media of fantasy sports makes mention, the cat may be out of the bag with all the rotoworld robots checking him out............... If you are considering grabbing him but haven't yet, you should make a move soon..
If Williams is the back to have why the statement "you should make the move soon". Now if Williams is hurt then yes.

'towney said:
'nyy45 said:
Per Rotoworld:

If Williams is the back to have why the statement "you should make the move soon". Now if Williams is hurt then yes.
It's easy to stash players like Bryce Brown, Kendall Hunter, Toby Gerhart etc etc with hope that the "STUDS" and I repeat "STUDS" in from of them get injured. For me, it's much easier to stash a guy that nobody talks about that doesn't have a stud tag labeled to him (i.e. Ryan Williams). These are the perfect storms that if the wind shifts in the right direction, lead to fantasy gold. It's the guys that everyone assumes will be the sleeper, like Ryan Williams, that you need to look past. Since Williams isn't a stud and Powell will be getting some carries, there is the chance that Powell just outplays him and gets the job. Or Williams goes down for 1 week and Powell gets a start and doesn't look back. Let's see, where has this happened before???? Felix and DeMarco last year. Jerome Harrison/Hardesty and Peyton Hillis 2 years ago.. the list goes on and on.. You could hit a lottery ticket that way or just stash a handcuff and hope the starter gets hurt but that's just wishful thinking to me.

'towney said:
'nyy45 said:
Per Rotoworld:

It's easy to stash players like Bryce Brown, Kendall Hunter, Toby Gerhart etc etc with hope that the "STUDS" and I repeat "STUDS" in from of them get injured. For me, it's much easier to stash a guy that nobody talks about that doesn't have a stud tag labeled to him (i.e. Ryan Williams). These are the perfect storms that if the wind shifts in the right direction, lead to fantasy gold. It's the guys that everyone assumes will be the sleeper, like Ryan Williams, that you need to look past. Since Williams isn't a stud and Powell will be getting some carries, there is the chance that Powell just outplays him and gets the job. Or Williams goes down for 1 week and Powell gets a start and doesn't look back. Let's see, where has this happened before???? Felix and DeMarco last year. Jerome Harrison/Hardesty and Peyton Hillis 2 years ago.. the list goes on and on.. You could hit a lottery ticket that way or just stash a handcuff and hope the starter gets hurt but that's just wishful thinking to me.
this is a good point and I much prefer this style of rostering players. R. Williams is nice and running better than he did earlier but what has he done to secure anything? If Powell goes out there and busts a couple big runs things can change in a hurry. Probably won't happen but you never know and at the end of the day with the way their defense is playing the AZ rb might have some decent value this year. If he doesn't work out in a week or two, no biggie you drop him for someone else.

'towney said:
'nyy45 said:
Per Rotoworld:

There is a difference between these guys in your examples. Felix had his chance, last year, in 2010, and in 2009.. Harrison and Hardesty, those guys just didn't get it done for a couple years, and most didn't have high expectations for 'em. To think that Williams, a somewhat highly drafted guy, playing in essentially his rookie season this year, won't get ample chance to prove himself.. I don't buy that for a minute. If he gets injured its a different story. As a general rule, owners follow the money.

'towney said:
'nyy45 said:
Per Rotoworld:

There is a difference between these guys in your examples. Felix had his chance, last year, in 2010, and in 2009.. Harrison and Hardesty, those guys just didn't get it done for a couple years, and most didn't have high expectations for 'em. To think that Williams, a somewhat highly drafted guy, playing in essentially his rookie season this year, won't get ample chance to prove himself.. I don't buy that for a minute. If he gets injured its a different story. As a general rule, owners follow the money.
As a general rule, regardless of draft position, Williams is relatively unproven

'towney said:
'nyy45 said:
Per Rotoworld:

As a general rule, regardless of draft position, Williams is relatively unproven
So you gonna bench an unproven guys for another unproven? Oh wait, thats right, he had a nice preseason..

'towney said:
'nyy45 said:
Per Rotoworld:

So you gonna bench an unproven guys for another unproven? Oh wait, thats right, he had a nice preseason..
I think the suggestion is that he may niot have as long of a leash as an established stud. They will give him every chance to succeed, but if the other guy manges to significantly out-produce him, then the pressure will be on to shift the workload.

Powell will get a couple of carries this week. Maybe he'll earn more, maybe not.

'towney said:
'nyy45 said:
Per Rotoworld:

this is a good point and I much prefer this style of rostering players. R. Williams is nice and running better than he did earlier but what has he done to secure anything? If Powell goes out there and busts a couple big runs things can change in a hurry. Probably won't happen but you never know and at the end of the day with the way their defense is playing the AZ rb might have some decent value this year. If he doesn't work out in a week or two, no biggie you drop him for someone else.
I agree. This is how you get the upper hand if suddenly someone's hurt and there's a rush to grab the replacement off waivers.So aside from Powell, Brown, Hunter, and Gerhart, who else do you think fits this mold right now? Blount? TB only has DJ Ware aside from him behind Martin. Turbin in Seattle? Goodson or Jones in Oakland?

'towney said:
'nyy45 said:
Per Rotoworld:

bro the point is that there are 2 unproven guys in the equation (williams and powell) Everyone is assuming williams is proven but he isn't and he is mostly rostered in every league now. You can get the unproven guy (powell) for nohing. I shouldn't have to explain the upside to this

'towney said:
'nyy45 said:
Per Rotoworld:

I think the suggestion is that he may niot have as long of a leash as an established stud. They will give him every chance to succeed, but if the other guy manges to significantly out-produce him, then the pressure will be on to shift the workload.

Powell will get a couple of carries this week. Maybe he'll earn more, maybe not.
:thumbup:

'towney said:
'nyy45 said:
Per Rotoworld:

I agree. This is how you get the upper hand if suddenly someone's hurt and there's a rush to grab the replacement off waivers.So aside from Powell, Brown, Hunter, and Gerhart, who else do you think fits this mold right now? Blount? TB only has DJ Ware aside from him behind Martin. Turbin in Seattle? Goodson or Jones in Oakland?
Not to many situations like this anywhere else in the league as of right now..... that's part of the point.

'towney said:
'nyy45 said:
Per Rotoworld:

Steve Slaton was a 1st rounder I believe and UDFA Arian Foster came in and took the job, Fred Jackson chased M. Lynch (a 1st rounder out of town), lower draft picks take over for high paid, highed touted draft picks all the time...at the end of the day it comes down to production. If Williams puts the ball on the ground again, if he gets injured, if he's tenative and doesn't produce Powell may get a shot. What's the probability that Powell gets a shot? maybe 10% but if you have a dead roster spot you could do worse.

'towney said:
'nyy45 said:
Per Rotoworld:

Not to many situations like this anywhere else in the league as of right now..... that's part of the point.
I know. That's all I could think of off the top of my head and wanted some other opinions.

So as of now the RBs that fit this approach are Powell, Brown, Hunter, Gerhart, Turbin, and Blount. Do you all think that's accurate? Missing anyone else? Anyone who you don't think belongs?

'towney said:
'nyy45 said:
Per Rotoworld:

bro the point is that there are 2 unproven guys in the equation (williams and powell) Everyone is assuming williams is proven but he isn't and he is mostly rostered in every league now. You can get the unproven guy (powell) for nohing. I shouldn't have to explain the upside to this
The point is.. bro.. you are not taking all the variables into the equation here. Williams was drafted high, and is getting paid. Powell, undrafted. The best case scenario here, barring injury to Williams, is a split towards the end of the season (see a one Beanie Wells). If you want to stash this guy for that possibility, please by all means

'towney said:
'nyy45 said:
Per Rotoworld:

Steve Slaton was a 1st rounder I believe and UDFA Arian Foster came in and took the job, Fred Jackson chased M. Lynch (a 1st rounder out of town), lower draft picks take over for high paid, highed touted draft picks all the time...at the end of the day it comes down to production. If Williams puts the ball on the ground again, if he gets injured, if he's tenative and doesn't produce Powell may get a shot. What's the probability that Powell gets a shot? maybe 10% but if you have a dead roster spot you could do worse.
Agreed. I'd say 10% is about right

'towney said:
'nyy45 said:
Per Rotoworld:

I know. That's all I could think of off the top of my head and wanted some other opinions.

So as of now the RBs that fit this approach are Powell, Brown, Hunter, Gerhart, Turbin, and Blount. Do you all think that's accurate? Missing anyone else? Anyone who you don't think belongs?
No, no, no..

Brown, Hunter, Gerhart area all behind studs so no they don't fit this mold. Blount has had his chance and Doug Martin is looking good. Turbin plays for Mike Shanahan haha

Take a team that has had problems finding a good running game. The Jets come to mind. Although I wouldn't necessarily want to be part of that offense but a team like this is where nobody has proved themselves. Everyone now assumes that Bilal Powell is a sleeper bc Greene has been ineffective. The guy I'd be looking at there is Jonathan Grimes whom they recently signed off the Texans practice squad bc if Bilal gets a chance, Grimes could too..

Brown, Hunter, Gerhart area all behind studs so no they don't fit this mold. Blount has had his chance and Doug Martin is looking good. Turbin plays for Mike Shanahan hahaTake a team that has had problems finding a good running game. The Jets come to mind. Although I wouldn't necessarily want to be part of that offense but a team like this is where nobody has proved themselves. Everyone now assumes that Bilal Powell is a sleeper bc Greene has been ineffective. The guy I'd be looking at there is Jonathan Grimes whom they recently signed off the Texans practice squad bc if Bilal gets a chance, Grimes could too..
This is why I think Grimes is the best pickup right now. Bilal Powell is a minor obstacle.

Brown, Hunter, Gerhart area all behind studs so no they don't fit this mold. Blount has had his chance and Doug Martin is looking good. Turbin plays for Mike Shanahan haha
Blount hasn't been given a damn thing this season (7 carries)but I am warning you, to buy now on him.

3.4ypc is Shonn Greene territory... yet people are busting a nut over Martin like he's the second coming of Christ.

Blount's worst YPC prior to this season was 4.2 (and 5.0 the previous season). Nearly a FULL YARD better than Martin. Yet he's always been slammed for being crap.

The perceptions of people is so easily swayed to see things they want to see. Blount IS the better back as of today, and will regain a chunk of carries sooner than later. I bet my ### on that

Blount hasn't been given a damn thing this season (7 carries)but I am warning you, to buy now on him.

3.4ypc is Shonn Greene territory... yet people are busting a nut over Martin like he's the second coming of Christ.

Blount's worst YPC prior to this season was 4.2 (and 5.0 the previous season). Nearly a FULL YARD better than Martin. Yet he's always been slammed for being crap.

The perceptions of people is so easily swayed to see things they want to see. Blount IS the better back as of today, and will regain a chunk of carries sooner than later. I bet my ### on that
Schiano has already come out saying they want to get him the ball more. My problem with Blount is that he's a high volume runner. The fact that he not even slightly involved in the passing game extremely limits his upside if he's sharing carries.As for Powell, the situation is indeed unique. He WILL get some touches this week. If he breaks a big one, or performs above expectations, it's possible we see a timeshare. Wisenhunt already acknowledged that's how he likes to do things. I'm apart of the 0% who own him in Yahoo leagues now. :thumbup:

Brown, Hunter, Gerhart area all behind studs so no they don't fit this mold. Blount has had his chance and Doug Martin is looking good. Turbin plays for Mike Shanahan hahaTake a team that has had problems finding a good running game. The Jets come to mind. Although I wouldn't necessarily want to be part of that offense but a team like this is where nobody has proved themselves. Everyone now assumes that Bilal Powell is a sleeper bc Greene has been ineffective. The guy I'd be looking at there is Jonathan Grimes whom they recently signed off the Texans practice squad bc if Bilal gets a chance, Grimes could too..
This is why I think Grimes is the best pickup right now. Bilal Powell is a minor obstacle.
I'm all for picking up these kind of guys but I just don't see the Grimes thing at all. They haven't even given Powell a chance to fail yet and they are suddenly going to give a guy that just got their playbook 2 days ago to be the guy? Powell has been playing better than Greene all camp, all year and he's just not starting to cut into Greene's touches but Grimes is just going to come in and take over? I just don't see that at all and even if by the slimmest chance he does jump Greene AND Powell is the Jets backfield worth tieing up a roster spot on a guy that may have a 1% chance of succeeding? That's just way too deep and remote a possibility for not enough upside.

Don't focus on ypc...the coaching staff LOVES Martin and that's all that matters.

Don't focus on ypc...the coaching staff LOVES Martin and that's all that matters.
I'm sure they do love Martin, why else would they have drafted him so early?Martin is also a better receiver as it looks already. But the fact remains, IMO, Blount is just a better, more physical runner.

TB can massage Martin's balls all day... But if your putting the better player on the bench just cuz you love another guy, then quite frankly you deserve to lose.

Schiano's little quote the other day, sounds like an admittance of Martin not being fully ready to take over yet. Honestly, why are people clamoring over 3.4ypc over 3 games? If anything, with a smaller volume, his YPC should be HIGHER.

Im just saying, and believe me I own Martin (w Blount on my bench).... Blount will start eating into his carries a fair share

ETA: Im ending this hijack now. sorry guys. back to powell.

Haha, he's owned in 0% of Yahoo leagues..nice.
Interesting. So he's not going to get on the field this week and possibly earn a 70/30, 60/40 RBBC split? I wonder how many Yahoo leagues will add him next week. Sometimes its good be ahead of the rush to the waiver wire. Wells is pretty much useless in redrafts now, maybe this is his replacement on your roster. So what if its a swing and a miss? Like I said before in this thread - topics like this are what make the Sharkpool so valuable imo.

Interesting. So he's not going to get on the field this week and possibly earn a 70/30, 60/40 RBBC split? I wonder how many Yahoo leagues will add him next week. Sometimes its good be ahead of the rush to the waiver wire. Wells is pretty much useless in redrafts now, maybe this is his replacement on your roster. So what if its a swing and a miss? Like I said before in this thread - topics like this are what make the Sharkpool so valuable imo.
I'm not sure if that second sentence was a sarcastic hypothetical directed at me but I own him in several redrafts.

We've beaten this to death, but we all know that Ryan Williams will be given every chance to be the guy.

Sure, the injury possibility is not too different from any other RB, but he is coming off a very tough injury with the patella. What's not being discussed is RW's fumble issues so far this year, including a bad one a few weeks ago. If he puts the ball on the ground again, it may not take an injury for Whisenhunt to show him the pine.

As mentioned, we're not talking about a stud incumbent here - sure, RW has a lot of talent, but he hasn't proven much of anything yet except hype.

So Powell makes a nice stash, but yes, it will take a RW injury or fumbilitis to have a shot.

I'm sure they do love Martin, why else would they have drafted him so early?

Martin is also a better receiver as it looks already. But the fact remains, IMO, Blount is just a better, more physical runner.

TB can massage Martin's balls all day... But if your putting the better player on the bench just cuz you love another guy, then quite frankly you deserve to lose.
The Bucs aren't a FF team. To them, getting Martin the work/experience may be more important than playing Blount. Their offense will be more effective IF Martin is successful. Just because Martin currently isn't faring as well as Blount has previously doesn't mean they will/need to change that point. We, as FFers, sometimes look at the NFL as if it were fantasy football.

A comparable situation is Detroit's RB situation. Leshoure averaged 3.9 YPC against Tenn, but it is clear that Detroit wants him to be the guy over Smith. They feel that if Leshoure is able to be successful at RB, their offense will work better, nevermind the fact that Kevin Smith has averaged 4.7 YPC since his return last season.

It doesn't matter if you, I, or anyone else feels like Blount is the better runner, if TB feels Martin is the better fit for their offense, and if they want him to be successful, he will get plenty of opportunities to prove them right.

With regards to the topic at hand, Ryan Williams would probably get more of an opportunity than Powell, because of where he was drafted. Arizona, however, has shown that they will play a cheaper, lower-drafted (undrafted) player over a higher, more expensive pick, so Powell could get his shot.

I'm not sure if that second sentence was a sarcastic hypothetical directed at me but I own him in several redrafts.
I'm not sure what you're meaning was in "Haha, he's owned in 0% of Yahoo leagues..nice". I read that as mocking people adding him. My apologies of that's not what you meant. :thumbup:

We've beaten this to death, but we all know that Ryan Williams will be given every chance to be the guy.Sure, the injury possibility is not too different from any other RB, but he is coming off a very tough injury with the patella. What's not being discussed is RW's fumble issues so far this year, including a bad one a few weeks ago. If he puts the ball on the ground again, it may not take an injury for Whisenhunt to show him the pine.As mentioned, we're not talking about a stud incumbent here - sure, RW has a lot of talent, but he hasn't proven much of anything yet except hype.So Powell makes a nice stash, but yes, it will take a RW injury or fumbilitis to have a shot.
There's another scenario, besides RW injury or fumbilitis.It's the one that's been in place the first three weeks, and the head coach has been talking about continuing to use -- RBBC.There's a slice of pie for Powell to cut out for himself. All he has to do is be more productive with his touches than RW is with his.

I'm all for picking up these kind of guys but I just don't see the Grimes thing at all. They haven't even given Powell a chance to fail yet and they are suddenly going to give a guy that just got their playbook 2 days ago to be the guy? Powell has been playing better than Greene all camp, all year and he's just not starting to cut into Greene's touches but Grimes is just going to come in and take over? I just don't see that at all and even if by the slimmest chance he does jump Greene AND Powell is the Jets backfield worth tieing up a roster spot on a guy that may have a 1% chance of succeeding? That's just way too deep and remote a possibility for not enough upside.
Not saying Grimes is worth an add.. the poster above that had asked what other situations would compare to the AZ one. Personally, I don't want any part of the Jets running game but if I had to choose, I'd rather be given a guy like Grimes than have to pay for a guy like Bilal Bowell... get it?

We've beaten this to death, but we all know that Ryan Williams will be given every chance to be the guy.Sure, the injury possibility is not too different from any other RB, but he is coming off a very tough injury with the patella. What's not being discussed is RW's fumble issues so far this year, including a bad one a few weeks ago. If he puts the ball on the ground again, it may not take an injury for Whisenhunt to show him the pine.As mentioned, we're not talking about a stud incumbent here - sure, RW has a lot of talent, but he hasn't proven much of anything yet except hype.So Powell makes a nice stash, but yes, it will take a RW injury or fumbilitis to have a shot.
There's another scenario, besides RW injury or fumbilitis.It's the one that's been in place the first three weeks, and the head coach has been talking about continuing to use -- RBBC.There's a slice of pie for Powell to cut out for himself. All he has to do is be more productive with his touches than RW is with his.
Fair point - if AZ's defense continues to be all that, and they are in a lot of grind-it-out games, they will likely want to run the ball a lot rather than put the game in the hands of Kolb.I don't think Whisenhunt will want to give RW 25+ carries a game coming off his injury.

Of course the rub is, neither Williams nor Powell will be startable if the carries remain divided roughly evenly.

Of course the rub is, neither Williams nor Powell will be startable if the carries remain divided roughly evenly.
This PLUS the OLine is still not great and the middle part of their schedule (Weeks 6-8; v BUF; @ MIN; v SF) is not great (still have two games against 49ers and one @ SEA)

Anyone have an idea when he's getting added to MFL? Checked each of the last 2 days, and, nothing. I have some dead weight on the roster, zero depth at RB, and there's absolutely nothing on waivers - deep dyno.

These are great threads b/c I never heard of Powell until now.

After the analysis -- any player discussed needs to be thought of in comparison to other players. Obviously team rushing attack; running style; incumbent depth chart; future schedule; and raw talent all combine to help us grade a WPowell. But the question ultimately ends up being "vs who?"

He's clearly a "roll of the dice" lottery ticket type add. And if you have the ability to roster him it could pay off.

For me I have four high upside, lottery roster spots:

[*]I have L Blount -- who I would consider dropping for him, but since I also have Martin, I need to hang on

[*]I have D Wilson -- but Im still not comfortable letting him go yet

[*]I have L Miller -- but definitely hanging on to him for now

[*]I have J Simpson -- who Im giving a couple weeks to see what he can do.

So IMO these are the kind of guys in the conversation. I do like what WPowell offers in the lottery ticket realm. Personally I would pick him up over RMoss, RTurbin, KSmith, or JTamme, just to name a few.

Anyone have an idea when he's getting added to MFL? Checked each of the last 2 days, and, nothing. I have some dead weight on the roster, zero depth at RB, and there's absolutely nothing on waivers - deep dyno.
Should be there - I added him on my MFL a couple of days ago.

That's odd-he has been available for pickup since the news that Wells went on IR (I would presume he was available before that) in my 1 league on MFL.

Users who are viewing this thread