What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is there such a HUGE discrepancy between cheatsheets and draft dom (1 Viewer)

xpac

Footballguy
Example, picking the cheatsheet that most closely matches my league, the top 10 are as follows:

1. Peyton Manning
  2. Drew Brees
  3. Jamaal Charles
  4. Adrian Peterson
  5. Calvin Johnson
  6. LeSean McCoy
  7. Aaron Rodgers
  8. Jimmy Graham
  9. Demaryius Thomas
  10. Montee Ball
Draft Dominator, set up with the scoring, etc that matches my league gives me this top 10:

1. Jamaal Charles
  2. LeSean McCoy
  3. Adrian Peterson
  4. Matt Forte
  5. Montee Ball
  6. Arian Foster
  7. Eddie Lacy
  8. Calvin Johnson
  9. Marshawn Lynch
  10. Peyton Manning
I could go on but as you can see there is a massive discrepancy here, in the past I've always used the cheatsheets but was toying with the idea of using the draft dominator this year. Which lists/sources tend to be more accurate, any opinions welcomed. Note: In the past I've done a lot of research leading up to the draft and tend to veer off the rankings in favor of my own, however I have had zero time this year to prepare on my own so my season is in the hands of Footballguys

doesn't DD let you select a staff member's projections, where cheatsheets is the average of multiple rankings?

There are many reasons for the discrepancy you mention. Obviously, tightening down the scoring from what was "close" to your league to exactly your league can offer some explanation. However, the biggest driver of the differences is likely the VBD baseline (in the Setup area of DD). I can change my league's list considerably just by altering the VBD baseline. And if I simply stay with the user configurable by position rank, but alter it to include more at some position(s) and less at other position(s), I can still produce a large change in suggested draft order.

DD uses VBD whereas the cheetseets are experts rankings adjusted to the starting lineup requirements.

Ok thanks for all the replies, I'll have to tweak it a bit and go with whatever I think is best.

Basically, get rid of "Joe's Secret Formula" for VBD; it's really not a good way to value players.

Users who are viewing this thread