What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why is Jim Haslett considered a good head coach? (1 Viewer)

TwinTurbo

Footballguy
The general consensus seems to be that Jim Haslett is a very good HC, but that he was limited by poor ownership in New Orleans. But I don't see it. He appears to be a very mediocre coach to me. Even if you give him a pass this year due to the hurricane disaster and focus on the previous 2000-2004 seasons, he still only averaged a .500 record. He did get the 1 playoff win, but that was before the new NFC South reorg. And clearly the Saints have been the worst team in the new NFC South. And if you had to pick the best coach in that division, Haslett would get picked last after Gruden, Fox, and Mora Jr.So my question is, if Haslett gets a HC chance with another team, do you think he would do any better than the .500 record he averaged in NO his first 5 years? I don't think he would.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think being in New Orleans will make any coach look bad. We'll just have to see what he can do somewhere else before judging his abilities.

The general consensus seems to be that Jim Haslett is a very good HC, but that he was limited by poor ownership in New Orleans. But I don't see it. He appears to be a very mediocre coach to me.

Even if you give him a pass this year due to the hurricane disaster and focus on the previous 2000-2004 seasons, he still only averaged a .500 record. He did get the 1 playoff win, but that was before the new NFC South reorg. And clearly the Saints have been the worst team in the new NFC South. And if you had to pick the best coach in that division, Haslett would get picked last after Gruden, Fox, and Mora Jr.

So my question is, if Haslett gets a HC chance with another team, do you think he would do any better than the .500 record he averaged in NO his first 5 years? I don't think he would.
I don't get it either. What has he ever done? All's I've ever heard is that they have so much talent and are big underachievers. Wouldn't that be the coach's fault? And boo hoo about this year. It's no excuse for 3-13. How about being a leader under difficult circumstances? Bottom line is they sucked before this year.

I've never met anyone who thought Haslett was a good coach.
So then why is he viewed as a lock to get one of the open head coaching jobs?I'm baffled by this one too. I've never considered him a good coach. Even prior to this season, the Saints were a mess, a team that under-achieved badly and had a horrible defense (which was supposed to be Haslett's strength). I don't get the fascination with this guy one bit.

I think people - for some reason - like the fiery type guys who get all riled up on the sidelines, and he's one of those guys. As stupid as it is, I honestly think that's why some people like him - instead of a stone-faced guy like Mike Sherman.

Reasons Haslett is considered decent:1. Led NO to all 1 of it's Playoff victories.2. Other than this year his worst record as a coach was 7-9.3. In 5 seasons before this one, 2 winning season, and 2 at 8-8.4. NO has had only 7 winning seasons total, the other 5 by Mora.5. NO has had 6 .500 seasons, of which Haslett has 2.6. NO has traditionally been a doormat.He's not great, but his career record is near .500 (45-51) with a doormat franchise, and is below .500 due to a year in which his team faced more distractions than any other team except possibly the wartime teams that merged operations.

IIRC, Haslett interviewed for the Eagles job. Local media was upset that he was allowed to leave town without an offer. Laurie then interviewed and hired some assistant coach from Green Bay. In hindsight, I'll take the consolation prize.

I did see that the Saints players said Haslett did an incredible job handling all of the curveballs thrown at them this year, keeping the team together, and the players were strong in their statement of praise for him. I dont think any of us understand the kind of adversity they faced all year - having no real home games or NFL quality facilities/offices to practice in/work out of, and dealing with the emotional burden of everything that happened with Katrina.

I did see that the Saints players said Haslett did an incredible handling all of the curveballs thrown at them this year, keeping the team together, and the players were strong in their statement of praise for him.
Well, you don't find too many players bashing their coach. I just think any guy that allowed Aaron Brooks to play a single down over the past two years has no business being a head coach.

Haslett took Ditka's 3-13 team to the playoffs and won (one game). IMO, that is why he still carries the "glow" of being a good coach. I think too many give him credit for that without giving him the blame for what transpired in the following years. Haslett's teams were notoriously un-disciplined and that never improved. Pre-snap penalties, defensive players constantly out of position, and consistently poor decision making by the skill players were all hallmarks of Haslett's regime. In a word, his teams were "dumb". His teams also had a circus atmosphere--Roaf's wife allegedly having Joe Horn's baby, Haslett having flings with a cheerleader, Connell stealing from McAllister, etc. The players loved him and you don't have to wonder why--they got away with everything under Haslett. He even gave them a built in excuse for mailing in their 2005 performance--Katrina. His biggest fault though, by far, was his stubborness. He stuck with Brooks and Venturi (Defensive Coordinator) in a stubborn attempt to prove the critics wrong. Finally, he benched Brooks when it was far too late and the Saints' D is still one of the worst in the NFL. I think he needs time to put his past behind him. Let him be a defensive coordinator for a couple of years to re-charge his batteries and truly learn the lessons from his tenure in NO. If he learns these lessons, then he has the potential to be a decent coach.

I did see that the Saints players said Haslett did an incredible job handling all of the curveballs thrown at them this year, keeping the team together, and the players were strong in their statement of praise for him. I dont think any of us understand the kind of adversity they faced all year - having no real home games or NFL quality facilities/offices to practice in/work out of, and dealing with the emotional burden of everything that happened with Katrina.
The players have always backed Haslett because he let the inmates run the asylum. The evidence of how "well he kept the team together" never really showed on the field.

I've never met anyone who thought Haslett was a good coach.
So then why is he viewed as a lock to get one of the open head coaching jobs?I'm baffled by this one too. I've never considered him a good coach. Even prior to this season, the Saints were a mess, a team that under-achieved badly and had a horrible defense (which was supposed to be Haslett's strength). I don't get the fascination with this guy one bit.
The team underacheived under Haslett's tenure, to be sure, but their worst season prior to this one was a 7-9 record. Do you know how many coaches don't achieve even that? This season, by all accounts, would lead to a losing record for most coaches. The team competed every week, despite every reason to the contrary, and likely suffered more directly as a result of a spate of injuries that sidelined key skill positions and a first year OC than anything else. Haslett seems to have made poor choices in personnel matters at both the player (Brooks, most notably) and coaching levels.

I don't think he's proven anything more than he's not necessarily a bad coach. It's tough to think that 6 years of head coaching has gotten him only that but that's what it is. He will be given an opportunity to coach elsewhere and solidify whatever opinion others have in him.

My original point was that Haslett had 6 years in NO and all he ever proved was that he could be average and then fade down the stretch. You can blame it on the ownership but if it's not working after 6 years then maybe you have to blame a good deal of that on the head coach too.Sure the Saints organization sucks, but you could have said the same thing about Tampa Bay, Carolina, and Atlanta at some point in the past and all those organizations have turned it around after hiring a decent head coach. Yet Haslett has proven to be the least effective coach in the NFC South, let alone the entire league. And his one playoff win came before the new NFC South reorg. If he was still playing in the same division with San Fran, St. Louis, and Arizona then he would probably have a slightly better record. But so would every other coach.

My original point was that Haslett had 6 years in NO and all he ever proved was that he could be average and then fade down the stretch. You can blame it on the ownership but if it's not working after 6 years then maybe you have to blame a good deal of that on the head coach too.

Sure the Saints organization sucks, but you could have said the same thing about Tampa Bay, Carolina, and Atlanta at some point in the past and all those organizations have turned it around after hiring a decent head coach. Yet Haslett has proven to be the least effective coach in the NFC South, let alone the entire league.

And his one playoff win came before the new NFC South reorg. If he was still playing in the same division with San Fran, St. Louis, and Arizona then he would probably have a slightly better record. But so would every other coach.
I don't think that there is really high praise directed towards Haslett. He's "decent" seems ot be consensus of opinion, which is what a near .500 record will get you. In comparing the other teams in the NFC South, arguably the toughest division in the NFC, you are overlooking the changes at the GM and ownership level that happened prior to the turnarounds. The GM's play a huge part in the success of a franchise, as crucial as the coach in most cases.Also, I think your perception of the Saints is slightly askew.

2005 3-13

2004 8-8 with a 4 game winning streak to end the season. 2nd place in NFC South.

2003 8-8 2nd place in NFC South.

2002 9-7 3rd place in NFC South.

2001 7-9 4th place in NFC West.

2000 10-6 1st place in NFC West. 1-1 playoff record.

2005 season aside, that's not an awful record or performance by a head coach. Certainly there is a sense that the team underachieved but they were very competitive during Haslett's tenure. This is why he is considered a viable coaching candidate, quite frankly.

My original point was that Haslett had 6 years in NO and all he ever proved was that he could be average and then fade down the stretch. You can blame it on the ownership but if it's not working after 6 years then maybe you have to blame a good deal of that on the head coach too.

Sure the Saints organization sucks, but you could have said the same thing about Tampa Bay, Carolina, and Atlanta at some point in the past and all those organizations have turned it around after hiring a decent head coach. Yet Haslett has proven to be the least effective coach in the NFC South, let alone the entire league.

And his one playoff win came before the new NFC South reorg. If he was still playing in the same division with San Fran, St. Louis, and Arizona then he would probably have a slightly better record. But so would every other coach.
I don't think that there is really high praise directed towards Haslett. He's "decent" seems ot be consensus of opinion, which is what a near .500 record will get you. In comparing the other teams in the NFC South, arguably the toughest division in the NFC, you are overlooking the changes at the GM and ownership level that happened prior to the turnarounds. The GM's play a huge part in the success of a franchise, as crucial as the coach in most cases.Also, I think your perception of the Saints is slightly askew.

2005 3-13

2004 8-8 with a 4 game winning streak to end the season. 2nd place in NFC South.

2003 8-8 2nd place in NFC South.

2002 9-7 3rd place in NFC South.

2001 7-9 4th place in NFC West.

2000 10-6 1st place in NFC West. 1-1 playoff record.

2005 season aside, that's not an awful record or performance by a head coach. Certainly there is a sense that the team underachieved but they were very competitive during Haslett's tenure. This is why he is considered a viable coaching candidate, quite frankly.
I wasn't implying that the Saints were the worst team in the NFC South over the last 4 years. I was implying that Haslett is the worst coach behind Gruden, Fox, and Mora Jr. It's a tough division partly because all of the other teams have good coaches. If you could choose any 1 of those 4 coaches, I think Haslett would be the last choice. And Haslett had decent player talent to work with. Not all of the blame can fall on the GM or ownership here.

I wasn't implying that the Saints were the worst team in the NFC South over the last 4 years. I was implying that Haslett is the worst coach behind Gruden, Fox, and Mora Jr. It's a tough division partly because all of the other teams have good coaches.

If you could choose any 1 of those 4 coaches, I think Haslett would be the last choice. And Haslett had decent player talent to work with. Not all of the blame can fall on the GM or ownership here.
That's not an entirely convincing argument, I think. Gruden, for example, inherited a Dungy team and waltzed into a SB. After that, 7-9 and 5-11 seasons followed before he reached the 11-5 record of this year. Fox has alternated between 7-9 and 11-5 the last 4 years. The jury is still out on Mora after this year's 8-8 following 11-5. Reeves record with the Falcons is pretty awful, even with Vick.These other coaches you offer have done more with their teams than Haslett has certainly. They've gone to the playoffs and more while the Saints have been mired in mediocrity. Again, I'm not saying that he's a great coach. He's an easy target, especially since it is the Saints we're talking about, but not entirely deserving one.

Users who are viewing this thread