What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why doesn't Dallas trade Felix? (1 Viewer)

Badm

Footballguy
Yes, I am a Felix owner. But come on, the guy produces when he isnt hurt and gets the chance. The Cowboys hardly use him. They use Choice on 3rd downs??? Why wouldn't they use Felix, knowing Barber is getting carries as well. If they think Choice is better, than trade him while value is high..I really dont get the logic here at all.

Haha trade Felix.... Jerry Jones is not having any part of that. Felix has the talent but is on a time share with a good running back in Barber. I don't think we will see his ceiling until Barber is gone or he is on gone.

Yes, I am a Felix owner. But come on, the guy produces when he isnt hurt and gets the chance. The Cowboys hardly use him. They use Choice on 3rd downs??? Why wouldn't they use Felix, knowing Barber is getting carries as well. If they think Choice is better, than trade him while value is high..I really dont get the logic here at all.
:coffee: ....maybe you should recognize just having talent does not necessarily mean production in FF....the situation matters a lot. Felix owners are screwed if he stays in Dallas with Barber and CHoice....

Also, not being used in the FF sense doesn't mean the guy isn't being used properly in the real football sense. I don't know if you are watching the same game I was but Barber looks solid as well.

I am pretty sure they could get a decent draft pick from the Rams for Felix or Choice.
why? they would ride the pine behind Jackson. If they felt he was that much better than the other backs he would get the ball more. The situation is what it is...people thinking that for some reason it will miraculously change but it's going to be an RBBC.

Choice had 16 yards on 7 touches tonight, including the costly fumble. Not sure why they use him much when Barber and Jones are both healthy. He looks good at times, but the other two are clearly better, so it is a bit puzzling. Then again, Felix has had a problem staying healthy when getting too many touches, but I still think it would make more sense for him and Barber to get most of the RB touches.

Last edited by a moderator:
Felix will eventually get his chance, barring injury. Barber is 27 Felix is 23. You had to know this going into the season that Felix will give you sporadic production. I have him on my team as a what if scenario as in what if Barber gets injured.

Lol at fantasy owners trying to make NFL decisions based on what's best for their fantasy teams.

Dallas doesn't "not use" Felix. They use him as a CoP back. They like using him as a CoP back. He's a phenomenal CoP back. Just because he's a great CoP back doesn't mean he's cut out to be a workhorse, though. Just because he's "only" a CoP back doesn't mean Dallas isn't getting anything out of him or that they should trade him.

Maybe Felix Jones is just a better NFL player than fantasy player. Sort of like Leon Washington or Darren Sproles.

It's a puzzling rb situation for sure. I'm not sure this was the type of game that you can really read how the splits are going to be.

Lol at fantasy owners trying to make NFL decisions based on what's best for their fantasy teams.Dallas doesn't "not use" Felix. They use him as a CoP back. They like using him as a CoP back. He's a phenomenal CoP back. Just because he's a great CoP back doesn't mean he's cut out to be a workhorse, though. Just because he's "only" a CoP back doesn't mean Dallas isn't getting anything out of him or that they should trade him.Maybe Felix Jones is just a better NFL player than fantasy player. Sort of like Leon Washington or Darren Sproles.
or Norwood. I always find myself thinking that he's Norwood 2.0...gaudy ypc stats and very good COP back but not an every down back. We can go back and search threads and there were tons stating why Norwood wasn't getting ball instead of Dunn.

Lol at fantasy owners trying to make NFL decisions based on what's best for their fantasy teams.Dallas doesn't "not use" Felix. They use him as a CoP back. They like using him as a CoP back. He's a phenomenal CoP back. Just because he's a great CoP back doesn't mean he's cut out to be a workhorse, though. Just because he's "only" a CoP back doesn't mean Dallas isn't getting anything out of him or that they should trade him.Maybe Felix Jones is just a better NFL player than fantasy player. Sort of like Leon Washington or Darren Sproles.
lol @ assuming Wade Phillips cannot be questioned.

or Norwood. I always find myself thinking that he's Norwood 2.0...gaudy ypc stats and very good COP back but not an every down back. We can go back and search threads and there were tons stating why Norwood wasn't getting ball instead of Dunn.
I was going to list Norwood, too, but I decided to stick with some less controversial names. Norwood averaged 6+ YPC in each of his first two seasons, though...
lol @ assuming Wade Phillips cannot be questioned.
Link to where I assumed Wade Phillips can't be questioned? Question Phillips all you want. I'm just saying that just because Dallas doesn't give Felix the ball 20 times a game doesn't mean that they're getting no value out of him and should trade him immediately for whatever they can get.

basher said:
Also, not being used in the FF sense doesn't mean the guy isn't being used properly in the real football sense. I don't know if you are watching the same game I was but Barber looks solid as well.
:goodposting: I thought both Barber and Jones looked really good, and thought the Cowboys really did themselves a disfavor not running more early. I don't think the weight changes have affected either back negatively, in fact I liked what I saw with Jones taking it to the defender a couple times, and Barber definitely looks shiftier.From an NFL perspective, most teams would kill to have Barber and Jones and Choice on the team. It creates mismatches, much like Bush does in NO. Now if only Garrett can figure out how to use those mismatches to his advantage.

SSOG said:
Dallas doesn't "not use" Felix. They use him as a CoP back. They like using him as a CoP back. He's a phenomenal CoP back. Just because he's a great CoP back doesn't mean he's cut out to be a workhorse, though. Just because he's "only" a CoP back doesn't mean Dallas isn't getting anything out of him or that they should trade him.
He's not a COP back :sigh:Both Barber and Jones alternate in and out, I believe they had nearly equal plays, and equal carries, equal receptions. Not a change of pace, because there is no pace being set, it's complete RBBC. The backs run the same plays, same patterns, etc.We don't know whether Jones is cut out to be a workhorse, he's not had the opportunity. Barber can't do it, and he needs another back (or maybe two) to keep him from breaking down. Jones has had injury issues on fewer carries, but not of the "wearing down" variety - were they flukey, or a sign of inability to stay healthy no matter what? We don't know.But at this point, I'd shy away from making and declarations as to whether Jones is, or is not, capable of being a bell cow. And I know you didn't make a claim for or against either. I merely disagree that he is used as a COP back, but that may even be an argument of semantics.

SSOG said:
I wasn't implying this to be a fantasy football discussion. I get the Barber/Felix splitting carries philosophy. The both are good running backs. The thing I dont get is how one could think that Felix or Barber isn't better on 3rd downs than Choice? I mean, thats what Dallas is choosing to do. They play Choice on 3rd downs, with Barber and Felix on the sidelines. Its just crazy to me. It doesn't matter to me if they are injury prone or not. You can't play the game like, well if they get more than 10 carries, they'll get hurt and try and predict injuries...If I was a Cowboys fan, I would be pissed. I guess I'll never figure that staff's decisions....WAH!!!!

I don't understand why they don't use Barber in almost all short yardage situations. He is a beast in those. There 2nd or 3rd last drive last night, they had like 3rd and 2 at around their own 40 (IIRC), and what do they do? Run Choice on a sweep to the left and he gets stuffed. Absolutely brilliant. :lol:

I don't understand why they don't use Barber in almost all short yardage situations. He is a beast in those. There 2nd or 3rd last drive last night, they had like 3rd and 2 at around their own 40 (IIRC), and what do they do? Run Choice on a sweep to the left and he gets stuffed. Absolutely brilliant. :goodposting:
I think residual images of Barber getting stuffed time and again on short yardage situations last year played into that call.I also think the Cowboys featured the Wildcat as much as they did game one so that opponents will game plan for it moving forward. However I don't think we'll see it used as frequently moving forward.Frankly, I think on that sweep Jones would have been the best option. But if I'd been playcalling, it would have been Barber inside, not a sweep.

SSOG said:
He's not a COP back :sigh:Both Barber and Jones alternate in and out, I believe they had nearly equal plays, and equal carries, equal receptions. Not a change of pace, because there is no pace being set, it's complete RBBC. The backs run the same plays, same patterns, etc.We don't know whether Jones is cut out to be a workhorse, he's not had the opportunity. Barber can't do it, and he needs another back (or maybe two) to keep him from breaking down. Jones has had injury issues on fewer carries, but not of the "wearing down" variety - were they flukey, or a sign of inability to stay healthy no matter what? We don't know.But at this point, I'd shy away from making and declarations as to whether Jones is, or is not, capable of being a bell cow. And I know you didn't make a claim for or against either. I merely disagree that he is used as a COP back, but that may even be an argument of semantics.
I agree with the points you are making, and agree that it's really just semantics. I called him a "Change of Pace" back, not a "Situational" back. If he only got used in specific situations (only on 3rd downs, only in short yardage, only at the goal line, only late in games, etc), then he'd be a "situational back". The fact that he gets used in the exact same situations as Marion Barber, in my mind, means he's a "change of pace" back. The two guys are stylistically different players. They run the same plays, but defenses have to prepare for them differently. In other words, they each provide a "change of pace" from the other. In reality, it sounds like we just have a disagreement over the terminology, not the concept.Also, I do have to say that I doubt Jones is cut out to be a workhorse. Luckily for him, I doubt that the guy he shares a backfield with is cut out to be a workhorse. I don't think either guy could carry an NFL running game on their own, but they do a pretty darn good job of carrying a running game between them.

There's no doubt Felix Jones can, & will, be a feature back in this league. The Jamaal Charles situation shows that NFL coaches can be a stubborn lot.

It'll happen in Dallas...it's only a matter of time. Felix is just 23 years old. He's one of the best dynasty "buys" right now, IMO.

There's no doubt Felix Jones can, & will, be a feature back in this league. The Jamaal Charles situation shows that NFL coaches can be a stubborn lot.It'll happen in Dallas...it's only a matter of time. Felix is just 23 years old. He's one of the best dynasty "buys" right now, IMO.
There's no doubt? There is plenty of doubt, if you ask me. Felix can't stay healthy, and has never had more than 15 carries in a single game.Now I understand that him not getting 20-25 carries doesn't necessarily mean that he can't succeed if given that workload. Chris Johnson received about 15 carries a game in his rookie season, and I doubt many on this board thought he would be able to handle the workload he received in 2009.But at this point there is plenty of doubt as to whether he will be a feature back.

There's no doubt Felix Jones can, & will, be a feature back in this league. The Jamaal Charles situation shows that NFL coaches can be a stubborn lot.It'll happen in Dallas...it's only a matter of time. Felix is just 23 years old. He's one of the best dynasty "buys" right now, IMO.
There's no doubt? There is plenty of doubt, if you ask me. Felix can't stay healthy, and has never had more than 15 carries in a single game.Now I understand that him not getting 20-25 carries doesn't necessarily mean that he can't succeed if given that workload. Chris Johnson received about 15 carries a game in his rookie season, and I doubt many on this board thought he would be able to handle the workload he received in 2009.But at this point there is plenty of doubt as to whether he will be a feature back.
I guess I should've put 'IMO', but Felix will get his shot as a feature back. No question. It's a virtual lock. Just too much talent. And he's not a small guy, either.His chance will likely come in Dallas. I can't see them moving him or not giving him a shot at it before his contract is up & he goes somewhere else (if he does). Felix owners simply need to be patient (talking dynasty). I know it can be difficult, but patience is a virtue (even in FF, LOL).

There's no doubt Felix Jones can, & will, be a feature back in this league. The Jamaal Charles situation shows that NFL coaches can be a stubborn lot.

It'll happen in Dallas...it's only a matter of time. Felix is just 23 years old. He's one of the best dynasty "buys" right now, IMO.
There's no doubt? There is plenty of doubt, if you ask me. Felix can't stay healthy, and has never had more than 15 carries in a single game.
Ummm.... wrong.

switz said:
shader said:
Football Jones said:

There's no doubt? There is plenty of doubt, if you ask me. Felix can't stay healthy, and has never had more than 15 carries in a single game.
Ummm.... wrong.
Oh, right! He was SO WRONG. There was that ONE playoff game where he had 16. :goodposting:

switz said:
shader said:
Football Jones said:

Ummm.... wrong.
Oh, right! He was SO WRONG. There was that ONE playoff game where he had 16. :goodposting:
Well, if you're going to make absolute statements, you might want to get it right. Jones also had games with greater than 15 carries in college, and in high school. So to say "never" is quite simply wrong. Of course, I probably should have written it in ALL CAPS like you so that I could come across as a total #### as well.

switz said:
shader said:
Football Jones said:

Ummm.... wrong.
Well, if you're going to make absolute statements, you might want to get it right. Jones also had games with greater than 15 carries in college, and in high school. So to say "never" is quite simply wrong. Of course, I probably should have written it in ALL CAPS like you so that I could come across as a total #### as well.
My bad, I didn't realize that we were including Pop Warner stats. Please link to them next time though, I don't want to have to search The Google unnecessarily. I don't think anybody in this conversation cares about his pre-NFL carries, but clearly you do.

switz said:
shader said:
Ummm.... wrong.
My bad, I didn't realize that we were including Pop Warner stats. Please link to them next time though, I don't want to have to search The Google unnecessarily.
Well "never" does go back "forever" right?

I took T-Cho in the contest for this very reason.

If MBIII goes down and he usually does T-Cho will be a stud.

Users who are viewing this thread