What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why does it seem WRs have more off the field trouble more than any oth (1 Viewer)

meyerj31

Footballguy
The list is endless, but recently there has been Kenny Britt, Dez Bryant, Titus Young... many others.

It seems like the wide receiver position gets in more trouble off the field than any other position.

The least "trouble" position seems to be offensive lineman.

I don't really have any insights or other comments but I'm curious why others think this is the case.

It is a higher profile position and tends to attract those with diva like personalities who have a sense of entitlement, perhaps feeling they can get away with things that others can't. My

It is a higher profile position and tends to attract those with diva like personalities who have a sense of entitlement, perhaps feeling they can get away with things that others can't. My
You nailed it.
I think it attracts those that have the ability to play the position.

It really begins and ends with the "higher profile" part I think. Anyone from any walk of life that involves power or celebrity has the temptation to to say, "Don't you know who I am"?

You nailed it.

It really begins and ends with the "higher profile" part I think. Anyone from any walk of life that involves power or celebrity has the temptation to to say, "Don't you know who I am"?
Not any more high profile than QB (maybe not even as much) yet you don't even see the same run-ins with law with QBs from a percentage standpoint.

You nailed it.

Not any more high profile than QB (maybe not even as much) yet you don't even see the same run-ins with law with QBs from a percentage standpoint.
Good QB's need to be leaders, good WR's do not.

The list is endless, but recently there has been Kenny Britt, Dez Bryant, Titus Young... many others.

It seems like the wide receiver position gets in more trouble off the field than any other position.

The least "trouble" position seems to be offensive lineman.

I don't really have any insights or other comments but I'm curious why others think this is the case.
Not sure that is accurate about WRS.

They need to put those 653 records in excel so we can play around with them.
That would be nice. But, at least you can filter by position and quickly get a total for each position. I don't feel taking the 10 minutes to do that and post it right now, but someone else can.
Nice find.

Without any crazy statistical analysis we can already tell that 112 of the 643 are WRs. Teams do carry 5-6 active WRs on a given gameday so that's about 9-11% of the team, but 17% of the arrests, so we can see it's higher than normal.

Interesting.

OL has about sixty arrests. IIRC teams carry nine or ten so you're about three times as likely to be arrested if you are a WR than if you are offensive lineman.

DL has 113 arrests and don't teams carry about the same DL as OL? So they are twice as likely to be arrested as OL but not as bad as WR.

I thought the WRs were the fast ones...

ETA: Kickers not named Sebastian Janikowski have been arrested six times. Seabass three (but not in the last decade)

Last edited by a moderator:
You nailed it.

It takes a much higher level of brain functioning to get to be an NFL QB than it does to be an NFL WR. I also think the QBs have ever bit and MORE of that sense of entitlement than the WRs have, they just aren't stupid enough to turn that entitlement into a law breaking "i can get away with anything" mentality.

Well, I was bored and looked up each team. Cincinnati is rightfully considered the "thugs" of the NFL but actually didn't have the most arrests (they were #2 with 39)--Minnesota "won" with 40 total arrests. Some of the teams that are considered "high moral" team such as Pittsburgh (19) were really the middle of the pack with a league wide average of 20.31 (it's worth mentioning that I didn't factor in the outcome of whether the team dropped them or not as a result of the arrest).

Houston and St. Louis tied for the lowest with 9 each since 2000.

WR and CBs are out on an island, where being cocky and ultra-confident is not just a plus, it's a requirement. Teams tolerate lots of "different" personalities if they come with the skills and mental toughness to execute consistently.

Honestly, OL and DL also get similar passes. Teams tolerate "not good human beings" in the trenches, because you want that guy on YOUR side in the streetfight.

<a id="cke_47" class="cke_off cke_button_ipsquote" "="" href="javascript:void('Quote')" title="Quote" tabindex="-1" hidefocus="true" role="button" aria-labelledby="cke_47_label" onkeypress="return false;" onkeydown="return CKEDITOR.tools.callFunction(88, event);" onfocus="return CKEDITOR.tools.callFunction(89, event);" onclick="CKEDITOR.tools.callFunction(90, this); return false;" unselectable="on"> Quote

WR and CBs are out on an island, where being cocky and ultra-confident is not just a plus, it's a requirement. Teams tolerate lots of "different" personalities if they come with the skills and mental toughness to execute consistently.

Honestly, OL and DL also get similar passes. Teams tolerate "not good human beings" in the trenches, because you want that guy on YOUR side in the streetfight.
But DL gets arrested twice as often as OL...

Add that to not being to the sharpest tools in the shed and there you go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread