What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why Did Supermarket Cashier Open and Look at My Eggs? (1 Viewer)

Why did the cashier open my eggs and look at them?

• To make sure the eggs were not broken

Votes: 109 84.5%
  • To make sure I did not put something else in there (so I could steal it)

Votes: 11 8.5%
  • To check that the carton would close properly and the eggs wouldn't fall out after bagging

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Other

• Seriously, zip it up Willie

• Total voters
Voted the bagging part. It's obviously to make sure the eggs are not broken, but not for your sake. It's to make sure she isn't going to get egg yolk on her hands bagging them. And the closing properly too, I'm sure.

Several potential hazards in bagging up another man's eggs, so it makes sense to be safe.
I can’t remember the last time a clerk bagged my groceries. Sounds like a dream.
Trader Joes... Yeah- dreamy.

I've never had a clerk check my eggs or ask me if I checked my eggs.

This is a new one for me.

Yep - shop at Publix and their customer service is great but never had this happen. Would be a nice thing if they did but I almost always remember to check. Although I don’t do your little wiggle thing, weirdo.

In the world of self checkout I'm surprised there's even a cashier there to check the eggs.

Never had one do it to me though, but I always check them myself before putting them in the shopping cart.

In the world of self checkout I'm surprised there's even a cashier there to check the eggs.

Never had one do it to me though, but I always check them myself before putting them in the shopping cart.
I usually do self checkout at this particular store but I was feeling lazy yesterday and went in the regular checkout line. Maybe that is why I just noticed them doing this? If they are checking to make sure the eggs are not broken, are they checking any other products to make sure they are intact?

Didn't read the other answers in the thread but it's 100% because the cashier thought you were too stupid to have checked your eggs yourself. Especially if you were there without your wife/gf.

Didn't read the other answers in the thread but it's 100% because the cashier thought you were too stupid to have checked your eggs yourself. Especially if you were there without your wife/gf.
You're probably right. When she opened it I'm thinking does she think I didn't check them already? It was an 18-pack to boot. I looked at 4 different cartons before I selected that one.

While we're talking eggs...what kind of eggs do you buy? The cheapest? Brown ones? Cage-free? I have been watching a lot of youtube nutritional videos and virtually everyone there swears by "pasture-raised organic" eggs saying those are the best for you by a mile. Something about high Omega 3's and low Omega 6's. The feed is healthy and the hen isn't stressed because she has room to roam, thus lower levels of cortisol. And she's out in the sun all day giving her eggs higher levels of Vitamin D. Those eggs are the most expensive (of course) but I've been getting those exclusively for a while now. They taste better too imo. They were out of them a few months back so I just got regular cheapo eggs and boy could I taste the difference. Like night and day.
From a local farm by me. I'd see if you have that kind of option, they taste so much better and you're supporting a local farmer. And if you want to up your egg game, find some duck eggs :wub:

ETA - I'd also see if you can raise chickens in your area, if so you may be able to find folks who have their own coops and often they sell the eggs. win/win.

While we're talking eggs...what kind of eggs do you buy? The cheapest? Brown ones? Cage-free? I have been watching a lot of youtube nutritional videos and virtually everyone there swears by "pasture-raised organic" eggs saying those are the best for you by a mile. Something about high Omega 3's and low Omega 6's. The feed is healthy and the hen isn't stressed because she has room to roam, thus lower levels of cortisol. And she's out in the sun all day giving her eggs higher levels of Vitamin D. Those eggs are the most expensive (of course) but I've been getting those exclusively for a while now. They taste better too imo. They were out of them a few months back so I just got regular cheapo eggs and boy could I taste the difference. Like night and day.
From a local farm by me. I'd see if you have that kind of option, they taste so much better and you're supporting a local farmer. And if you want to up your egg game, find some duck eggs :wub:
I would love to find a farm for my eggs. There is a farmer's market nearby, maybe I should give them a look.

I would love to find a farm for my eggs. There is a farmer's market nearby, maybe I should gibe them a look.
Edited my post but if you're community allows chickens you may be able to find them really close. Otherwise, a farmer's market should have options, that's how we found ours.

People who buy eggs regularly, do you open the carton yourself before putting them in your cart/basket to check to see if they are broken or to check the quality of the eggs? Or do you just grab a carton without checking?
Check every single time. I rotate each egg maybe a quarter turn to make sure they're not subtly cracked, seeping egg white, and thus sticking to the carton.
People who buy eggs regularly, do you open the carton yourself before putting them in your cart/basket to check to see if they are broken or to check the quality of the eggs? Or do you just grab a carton without checking?
I check every time.

I give each egg a little wiggle.

If it's cracked on the top half, I can see it. If it's cracked below, it'll be "stuck" to the bottom and doesn't wiggle. Takes 5 seconds to check a dozen.

I never thought to rotate or wiggle the egg for a more thorough check. I will do this going forward. Thanks. 🥚
Or you can look on the bottom of the carton. If an egg cracked there is discoloration/egg juice/etc there. I typically look on the bottom of the carton then open it up to check for cracks. Haven't had an issue yet.............and I cannot recall a cashier ever opening the carton to check.

I check every time.

I give each egg a little wiggle.

If it's cracked on the top half, I can see it. If it's cracked below, it'll be "stuck" to the bottom and doesn't wiggle. Takes 5 seconds to check a dozen.
Eggs do love a little wiggle

While we're talking eggs...what kind of eggs do you buy? The cheapest? Brown ones? Cage-free?
Always some sort of cage free version. I have had chickens, they are gross animals. Only get grosser when you shove 1000 of them in small cages
I’m pretty sure cage free just means they shove 1000 chickens in an 8x8 shed
Exactly this. Cage free means they're not in a "cage" but they're likely all jammed together. If it's not "pasture raised" those birds are touching feathers almost 24/7.

Pretty much every dozen eggs I've ever bought at any grocery store were checked by the cashier. If they don't check, it's weird.
This thread is really wild. I don't recall a cashier ever doing this, although I haven't bought eggs with a cashier involved in a very long time.
Trying to think of it from the store's perspective, first thought was it seems like a terrible waste of time, and I wouldn't want employees doing this if it were my grocery store.

Thinking on it more, if it's a regular thing, it must be to prevent unsellable returns.

Catch it at checkout, and you can still sell the other 11 eggs.
If the customer brings them back, the whole dozen is lost (should be, at least).

A good poll question......

Cashier finds one broken egg in the dozen.......you going to get a new dozen or just getting the hell out of there one egg short of a dozen?

For me, it's an easy get the hell out of there.
But I'd think for anybody willing to deal with the headache/wasted time of having a cashier, what's a couple extra minutes.

Cashier finds one broken egg in the dozen.......you going to get a new dozen or just getting the hell out of there one egg short of a dozen?

But I'd think for anybody willing to deal with the headache/wasted time of having a cashier, what's a couple extra minutes.
Easy, you checkout go right over to customer service and they will just exchange it

I ain't buying no broken eggs!
I didn't mention, but the cashier finding the broken egg would imply the customer didn't check themselves.

If I'm in too big of a hurry to check myself, it means I don't care or I'm in a hurry.

After spending 3 hours watching a cashier fumble around with my groceries, I'm getting out of there.

Easy, you checkout go right over to customer service and they will just exchange it
I don't know what grocery stores y'all go to, but customer service is a line 8 deep of people buying cigs and lotto tickets around here.

if you think thats weird i had a cashier open and look at my pickles the other day take that to the bank bromigo

I ain't buying no broken eggs!
I didn't mention, but the cashier finding the broken egg would imply the customer didn't check themselves.

If I'm in too big of a hurry to check myself, it means I don't care or I'm in a hurry.

After spending 3 hours watching a cashier fumble around with my groceries, I'm getting out of there.
If the cashier finds a broken egg in the carton there is no way I am walking out the door with it. If I pay for 12 I am leaving with 12.

I do.. then the clerk checks too.

Bacteria can enter eggs through cracks in the shell. Never purchase cracked eggs. However, if eggs crack on the way home from the store, break them into a clean container, cover tightly, keep refrigerated, and use within two days. If eggs crack during hard cooking, they are safe.
Could someone sue the supermarket if they did (or at least claim they did) get sick from contaminated eggs? I voted "to make sure the eggs weren't broken" but if if they could be held liable its likely that they are checking them so a customer can't say they got sick from cracked/broken eggs.

I've never had anyone check my eggs and I always look before I check out.

What didn’t you like? The big thing I notice are the yolks are much brighter yellow. And might want to wash them…

Users who are viewing this thread