What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Why are kickers scoring so many points this year? (1 Viewer)

SameSongNDance

Footballguy
If you look at kicker ppg this year it's through the roof and not in line previous years. You have the ~K20 (7.5ppg) behaving like the ~K12 of previous years. You have the ~K12 (9ppg) behaving like ~K1 of previous years. 

My hypothesis is that offenses are potent enough to drive down the field but suck ### in the red zone.

This is the first time I think I'm going to be holding some of my kickers through their byes. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Totally agree. Dropped succop for Prater this week and then just snagged zuerline off waivers and will drop prater. All three of these guys have been putting up massive points, was hard to decide who to keep, especially succop and zuerline. Not sure why it’s Happening either, so weird. 

I still think it's too unpredictable.  Yes, the sample size is big enough to maybe make a correlation, but things can change so fast.  KC could win their next game 35-0 and their Kicker get 5 points.

I'm interested to see how many more points they are scoring though, not just the game average and where that puts them. 

I still think it's too unpredictable.  Yes, the sample size is big enough to maybe make a correlation, but things can change so fast.  KC could win their next game 35-0 and their Kicker get 5 points.

I'm interested to see how many more points they are scoring though, not just the game average and where that puts them. 
Ok did some stat compiling.

2014 Weeks 1-8:
Total Kicker Points:  1995
Total FGS Made:  397
Total FGS Missed: 64
Total XP Made: 600
Total XP Missed:  4

2015 Weeks 1-8:
Total Kicker Points:  1972
Total FGS Made:  404
Total FGS Missed: 69
Total XP Made: 543
Total XP Missed:  30

2016 Weeks 1-8:
Total Kicker Points:  1951
Total FGS Made:  407
Total FGS Missed: 79
Total XP Made: 537
Total XP Missed:  28

2017 Weeks 1-8:
Total Kicker Points:  2007
Total FGS Made:  425
Total FGS Missed: 80
Total XP Made: 491
Total XP Missed:  28

Looks like XP's went way down this year, but FG's are up.  Kicker points don't seem too significantly higher but definitely a bit. Obviously the missed XP spike after 2014 was due to moving the kick back.

So at this juncture in previous years..

FG Attempts: 461

Touchdowns: 604

FG Attempts: 473

Touchdowns: 573

FG Attempts: 486

Touchdowns: 565

FG Attempts: 505

Touchdowns: 519

Thanks for compiling the stats @Deamon

By my estimation, by 2043, we'll be taking kickers in the first round.

I think offense in general is down this year. So teams are stalling out more within the opponents 35. 

I definitely will keep Harrison Butker through his Bye. I picked him up his first week as starter and he has averaged me over 15 fantasy points per week through his 5 weeks. He actually was the difference for me in 2 Wins.

So at this juncture in previous years..

FG Attempts: 461

Touchdowns: 604

FG Attempts: 473

Touchdowns: 573

FG Attempts: 486

Touchdowns: 565

FG Attempts: 505

Touchdowns: 519

Thanks for compiling the stats @Deamon

By my estimation, by 2043, we'll be taking kickers in the first round.
Hmmm this is interesting.  TD's have dropped every year while FG attempts have raised each year.  What's the reasoning behind this?  Can't think of any rule changes or anything that would contribute to this.  More teams attempting long FG's because kickers are getting better?  Better RZ D?  More big passing plays ? (that get you in fg range but don't necessarily mean your offense is going to continue to move the ball).  Global Warming making the kicking conditions drier? :P

Kicker’s are prob messing with the balls. Goodwill will get to the bottom of this I’m sure.

I think offense in general is down this year. So teams are stalling out more within the opponents 35. 

I definitely will keep Harrison Butker through his Bye. I picked him up his first week as starter and he has averaged me over 15 fantasy points per week through his 5 weeks. He actually was the difference for me in 2 Wins.
Helped me win last night............ actually won by roughly 5 points because of his performance. I'd have to look back, but I KNOW if I started virtually any other kicker in that one league, that was on waivers, I would have lost. (the possible exception is Prater, but I think he is rostered anyway)

So I know how you feel.

I'm not a big "keep a kicker on his bye" kinda guy, but I am starting to think about what I am going to do.  In our leagues, we only have 6 bench spots, so I don't view that as a ton of room, and instead try and hold 4-5 RBs there.

I would hate dropping someone like Matt Breida, (or pick your fave high end backup guy/scenario) to save a kicker, then losing out on some big RB production later in the season because of it.

TZM

If you look at kicker ppg this year it's through the roof and not in line previous years. You have the ~K20 (7.5ppg) behaving like the ~K12 of previous years. You have the ~K12 (9ppg) behaving like ~K1 of previous years. 

My hypothesis is that offenses are potent enough to drive down the field but suck ### in the red zone.

This is the first time I think I'm going to be holding some of my kickers through their byes. 

When I saw this thread title, I immediately began to think about this.

Certain subjects tend to stick out in my mind, and kickers have long been one. I have always felt that kickers and defenses.....well they tend to go a bit under appreciated.

People tend to be a "set it and forget it" type of personality, and the bold few that try and stream heavily, or "semi-stream" (something I casually mentioned a few years ago) they often get a significant edge on the others. True, some years it just doesn't work out, but when streaming works, having a "theoretical"  5 point edge every week is massive over the "non streamer".

Anyway, I think there has been such a problem with high end receivers this year, I think there has to be a correlation there somewhere. Look at some of the teams that either have A - a high end WR that just isn't producing, or B - WRs and in general offenses that aren't moving the ball like we had anticipated. So I think the problem has to be a combination of "faulty WRs", and bad offenses that aren't scoring as much, leading to more FG opportunities when the team can't punch it in when they get close.

The list of "faulty" big name WRs is significant this year....and I also include injured WRs too, as part of this problem.

The Falcons are an obvious example. But I don't want to necessarily point out Matt Bryant because he just stands out to me as one who had a terrible week. He got me a " - 5 " in a matchup last week. Thankfully it didn't cost me, but I can see where it may have hurt a bunch of people.

I would think, from a knee-jerk reaction, that if we could somehow find some data on how often teams "stalled" in the red zone, and we compared that from a bunch of years recently, it might help us figure this out...maybe.

I think this is very interesting, and would like to see some of this "teams that stall in the red zone" data , if we could come across that. We *MIGHT* find out some type of predictive model..... possibly.

Maybe we could identify a few factors or similar patterns, of several teams.   (I.E Kickers) 

Greg Zuerlein, Ryan Succop,Kai Forbath, Stephen Gostkowski, Jake Elliott, Harrison Butker, Stephen Hauschka, Wil Lutz,Robbie Gould, Chris Boswell.

Those are roughly the top 10 offhand.  This is just an impulse guess, but I am figuring Lutz, Elliott, Gostkowski are just getting so many positive scoring drives that, that is part of it.

Now the others , on the other hand, I would think (again, just a guess) that there is so much "stalling" going on and not finishing drives deep in their opponents territories, they are capitalizing on a larger amount of medium-to- longer length FGs.  I think many  FF leagues score slightly more points, for longer FGs. So we should keep that in consideration as well.

This is interesting, and maybe someone can come up with some "teams that stall/don't finish" drives data.

TZM

Hmmm this is interesting.  TD's have dropped every year while FG attempts have raised each year.  What's the reasoning behind this?  Can't think of any rule changes or anything that would contribute to this.  More teams attempting long FG's because kickers are getting better?  Better RZ D?  More big passing plays ? (that get you in fg range but don't necessarily mean your offense is going to continue to move the ball).  Global Warming making the kicking conditions drier? :P
Off the top of my head. Worse play calling, coaching. Less practice which hurts offenses more than D. Lower QB play. WR is now a weak position in the NFL. 

IMHO

New rules LACK of PRACTICE IN PADS. In preseason they run around in shorts. This hurts O Line most and timing for all positions.

New rules again keeping cutdown until after last game. Takes playing time away from players who are going to make the team and should be using this time to practice together, especially in pads. Lack of timing,playing time, and hitting by the 53 that are going to be the real team.

Promotes laziness by veterans to let guys who are going to be cut,or should have already been cut, to play in pads in late preseason games.

I'm all for rookies getting their best chance. But, the #1's should be also getting together.

New Rules made the beginning of the season, preseason for the 53 to play together as a team.

Great topic. I lost one league this week because Prater outperformed Le'Veon Bell, and then I won another because Butker outperformed Alex Smith.

If overall kicker numbers are up this year, that doesn't necessarily change your strategy, it just raises the stakes for getting it right. A reliable stud like Butker can really make a difference.

What's traditionally made kicker such a crapshoot, and the reason everyone recommends taking them in the last round, is that it is incredibly difficult to isolate the factors that will predict future results. Clearly, there is no year-to-year stickiness, as Gostkowski and Tucker have demonstrated over the past couple years, which is why I think the late-round drafting strategy still makes sense. Everyone has theories about strong offenses, warm-weather stadiums/domes, etc., but in my experience the best predictor of how a kicker will do is how they've done recently. That's why I re-evaluate every few weeks and pick up the top scoring kicker who's still available.

As for keeping Ks through their bye, I wanted to hang on to Zuerlein through his bye, but couldn't afford the roster spot. So I dropped him for Hauschka (who performed well), and fortunately was able to pick him back up. Haven't decided yet what I'll do with Butker. If I have the spot to burn, I'll try to keep him, but if not I won't sweat it too much. Chances are there'll be someone else good available.

Users who are viewing this thread