What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who is the #10 NBA player off all-time? (1 Viewer)

Who is #10?

• Kobe Bryant

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Hakeem Olajuwon

Votes: 24 34.8%
  • Oscar Robertson

Votes: 16 23.2%
  • Jerry West

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Kevin Durant

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Stephen Curry

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • Kevin Garnett

• Karl Malone

• Moses Malone

• Other

• Total voters

Frostillicus

Footballguy
1. Michael Jordan (71%)
2. Lebron james (85%).
3. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (34%).
4. Wilt Chamberlain (31%).
5. Magic Johnson (33%).
6. Larry Bird (44%).
7. Bill Russell (67%).
8. Shaquille O'Neal (31%)
9. Tim Duncan (53%).
10. ???????????? (first to 25 votes wins)

This pretty much came down to Hakeem vs. Kobe for me (Oscar should be #12 in a landslide).

Titles: Kobe
Finals MVP: Tie
MVP: Tie
All-NBA: Kobe
All-Star: Kobe
All-Defense: Kobe
D POY: Hakeem

I have pretty close to a four way tie here with Hakeem, Kobe, Robertson, and Curry.

Hakeem is probably the second best defensive player of all-time, was an underrated offensive force, and very much brought foreign players mainstream.
Curry has really defined a whole new generation of the NBA and has lead the best franchise in the NBA for nearly a decade in the most competitive era of the NBA ever.
Other than Wilt, Robertson is the only early NBA player that still gets regularly compared to modern players and has all the accolades to back it up.
Kobe (and Iverson) brought the NBA from the Jordan Era to the modern 3-point NBA in terms of popularity and cultural influence. He won five titles and was the closest thing to Jordan we've seen or likely will see.

I went with Hakeem - his longevity and the fact that he actually had a winning record vs Jordan, even through Jordan's prime. The Rockets were probably the best team to match up against the Bulls through most of the 90s. Too bad they never played in the playoffs.

This is painful to say, but Kobe is my pick here.

Five rings; two as the undisputed alpha and three as the 1B to Shaq's 1A on one of the top 5 teams of all time.

He should have had 2 MVPs. His string of All-NBA and All-Def teams is incredible. He was a great 2-way player for a very long time and is the clear cut #2 SG of all time.

Hakeem was a phenomenal shot blocker and was a solid scorer, but he is just a hair short of Kobe, IMO.

I remember thinking when the Lakers got Pau Gasol how perfect he was for Kobe's legacy. Good enough to put LA over the top, not good enough to steal Kobe's spotlight. Pau was really underrated - he was the best player on a 50-win Grizz team where the 2nd best player was James Posey. Always wonder what happens in an alternate history where that trade never gets made, but my guess is we're not talking about Kobe in the top 10.

I remember thinking when the Lakers got Pau Gasol how perfect he was for Kobe's legacy. Good enough to put LA over the top, not good enough to steal Kobe's spotlight. Pau was really underrated - he was the best player on a 50-win Grizz team where the 2nd best player was James Posey. Always wonder what happens in an alternate history where that trade never gets made, but my guess is we're not talking about Kobe in the top 10.

Pau is underrated, even on the Laker teams. He had more wins shares than Koke in both of their championship seasons, and a higher PER in their second trophy season. He didn't steal Kobe's spotlight, but he probably should have. He just didn't have the juice that Kobe did ... and apparently still does since he's garnering votes here. Kobe is much more Scottie Pippin than Michael Jordan. And that should never be construed as an insult.

Five rings; two as the undisputed alpha and three as the 1B to Shaq's 1A on one of the top 5 teams of all time.

He should have had 2 MVPs. His string of All-NBA and All-Def teams is incredible. He was a great 2-way player for a very long time and is the clear cut #2 SG of all time.

Hakeem was a phenomenal shot blocker and was a solid scorer, but he is just a hair short of Kobe, IMO.
There’s a Kobe argument to be made here, but a bunch (most?) of his all defense selections are some of the most absurd NBA honors ever awarded to a player and really shouldn’t be factored in.

I grew up watching Hakeem when he was still Akeem in college and saw him play a ton at Houston. He had the best foot movement of center for his era and maybe any center ever. Just an amazing athlete that continued to develop year after year as he came to the sport much later than most, I think he was 15 or 16.

The Dream can also be considered the forefather of what the NBA has become today for diversity in talent. He was the first non American to be an all star and the first non American to be league MVP.

For people who rate what the other greats think, here is what Jordan said about Hakeem:

"If I had to pick a center [for an all-time best team], I would take Olajuwon. That leaves out Shaq, Patrick Ewing. It leaves out Wilt Chamberlain. It leaves out a lot of people. And the reason I would take Olajuwon is very simple: he is so versatile because of what he can give you from that position. It's not just his scoring, not just his rebounding or not just his blocked shots. People don't realize he was in the top seven [in NBA history] in steals. He always made great decisions on the court. For all facets of the game, I have to give it to him"

I can't fault Hakeem voters, but Oscar is a notch below Kobe and Hakeem.

For similar reasons that Russell gets criticized for playing in the early days, Oscar played in essentially the same time frame. He garnered only 1 MVP and his lone championship was in the twilight of his career and he was clearly the #2 guy to prime Kareem (Lew at that point) on the Bucks.

Westbrook showed us what averaging a triple double looks like and no one has him in this discussion.

100% HOF probability players:
RankPlayerHoF Prob
RankPlayerHoF Prob
1.Kareem Abdul-Jabbar*1.0000
2.LeBron James1.0000
3.Michael Jordan*1.0000
4.Bill Russell*1.0000
5.Kobe Bryant*1.0000
6.Wilt Chamberlain*1.0000
7.Tim Duncan*1.0000
8.Shaquille O'Neal*1.0000
9.John Havlicek*1.0000
10.Oscar Robertson*1.0000
11.Bob Cousy*1.0000
12.Kevin Garnett*1.0000
13.Jerry West*1.0000
14.Magic Johnson*1.0000
15.Karl Malone*1.0000
16.Kevin Durant1.0000
17.Chris Paul1.0000
18.Hakeem Olajuwon*1.0000
19.Dwyane Wade1.0000
20.Dirk Nowitzki1.0000
21.Larry Bird*1.0000
22.Elvin Hayes*1.0000
23.Stephen Curry1.0000
24.David Robinson*1.0000
25.Moses Malone*1.0000
26.Dolph Schayes*1.0000
27.John Stockton*1.0000
28.Bob Pettit*1.0000
29.Isiah Thomas*1.0000

The thing about Kobe was he was must see TV every night......love him, hate him.......dude out-worked everyone! Watch the "Redeem Team" documentary on Netflix, and you really get to see what Mamba mentality is about.

Users who are viewing this thread