What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Who do you vote for in this fictitious scenario? (1 Viewer)

Who do you vote for?

• Candidate A

Votes: 49 75.4%
  • Candidate B

Votes: 16 24.6%

• Total voters

Tiger Fan

Footballguy
I don't think there is any right or wrong answer here, just curious to generate some interesting discussion. For this scenario, it doesn't matter if the election is local, state or federal, just looking for your answer while only knowing the following thing about each candidate.

Candidate A

Candidate A's stances on the issues align with your belief on what is for the greater good of the constituency.

Candidate B

Candidate B is very pro whatever industry directly effects your family's income (professional, unions, etc)

FWIW, I asked the same thing 5 years ago.  https://forums.footballguys.com/forum/topic/618004-who-do-you-vote-for-in-this-fictitious-scenario/

A was the majority winner last time as well.  Guess I'm somewhat of a cynic, but thought there would be more of B
The wording is too vague. Change it to "Candidate B is the only way you will keep your job" and people will be more honest.

:shrug:  It'll always be "A" because everybody believes that their stances on social/economic issues are the correct ones, which will help them financially in the long run anyways.

Candidate A

Candidate A's stances on the issues align with your belief on what is for the greater good of the constituency.

Candidate B

Candidate B is very pro whatever industry directly effects your family's income (professional, unions, etc)
You're basically asking "Who works in an industry where your success is bad for the country?"

I don't see how I could vote for B.

Even if somehow some president was so pro-dentistry that he raised all my insurance reimbursement rates 10% across the board, if the overall economy fails, my business suffers...  so I almost have to vote A no matter how selfish I am (and it's a lot)

You're basically asking "Who works in an industry where your success is bad for the country?"
"I produce television shows for TNT and TBS."
to be fair, there are a lot of industries implicated here.  Big defense contractors for one.  Some would say servicemembers themselves - it's not necessarily in the nation's best interest to have a large military full of highly paid people.

No, not at all.

For instance, many police officers face the exact scenario in the OP's hypothetical -- their worldview vs. their bank account.  Police officers, for the most part, tend to agree with a Republican "tough on crime" approach and are opposed to a Democrat message that is increasingly painting them as bad guys.  Yet police unions often support Democrats because Democrat candidates support police unions which, in turn, lead to far better pensions for police officers.

Successful policing is good for the country, not bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
my boss told me just last week that he always votes republican for President because it is better for our industry. (healthcare)

I went B. I don't really care about much except making sure the fam is fed and clothed. 

:shrug:  It'll always be "A" because everybody believes that their stances on social/economic issues are the correct ones, which will help them financially in the long run anyways.
Maybe I'm a little jaded b/c I work in Oil and Gas...where (barring any substantial change) the republican candidate will always be best for the industry.  

I'm quite sure that my personal belief on social/economic issues will not help me financially in the long run.  

Fair challenge though

Users who are viewing this thread