What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Which Pill Do You Choose? (Stolen from Twitter/X) (1 Viewer)

Which pill do you choose?

• Total voters
So, there really should be no dilemma or downside...just pick orange. Orange seems the obvious choice. Interestingly, however, the twitter poll is 65% for green and FBG is 60% green...

"Why wouldn't everyone pick orange, they won't die"

"Why wouldn't everyone pick green, no one dies"
Semantics, if everyone picks orange no one dies
And if everyone picks green, still no one dies. That doesn't swing it either way, so I think you have to assume some will pick green. As we can clearly see here, some will.
I’m just not going to risk my life on the gamble that 50% of the people didn’t understand the question

If the population was entirely some group you were very close to -- best friends or immediate family, for instance -- would you still pick orange?

So, there really should be no dilemma or downside...just pick orange. Orange seems the obvious choice. Interestingly, however, the twitter poll is 65% for green and FBG is 60% green...
You‘re welcome. The 65% (FBG 60%) just saved the 100%
It's like shooting threes, though. Sure you can make 60-65% warming up in the gym. But when the pressure is on, you're tired and shots are being contested, that percentage is going down to like 15-20%.
This hypothetical would be a serious problem for small children. Between the ages of 0-3, their selection would probably be 50/50.

When I say this isn’t a prisoner’s dilemma I don’t mean that I think it’s an easy choice, it literally doesn’t fit the definition of a prisoner’s dilemma. It’d be more interesting if the orange voters died or had some sort of negative consequence if >50% voted green. This is a puzzle to take advantage of dummies. The real sicko is the one handing out the pills not the orange voters

If the population was entirely some group you were very close to -- best friends or immediate family, for instance -- would you still pick orange?
Yes, because I’d start a group text thread to make sure everyone read it fully and understands the rules of the game

The real sicko is the one handing out the pills not the orange voters

Precisely. I'm not sure what real-world situation this a hypothetical of, so I'm abstaining. It's an exercise to virtue signal or call other people dummies rather than an applicable metaphor to anything in the world.

Unless it's a save yourself and you save everybody Objectivist (Ayn Rand) test.

Because really, if everybody was acting like an Objectivist (they believe in the "virtue of selfishness," i.e., that everybody who acts in their own self-interest is the good and the just) everybody would be saved.

It's like shooting threes, though. Sure you can make 60-65% warming up in the gym. But when the pressure is on, you're tired and shots are being contested, that percentage is going down to like 15-20%.
This hypothetical would be a serious problem for small children. Between the ages of 0-3, their selection would probably be 50/50.
So pick green. It’s really quite easy.

If everybody acts in their own self-interest, though, everybody lives.

It's either an Objectivist test or a test about the desirability of capitalism or something like that, best I can suss out (if it does have a real world application, that is).

It's either an Objectivist test or a test about the desirability of capitalism or something like that, best I can suss out (if it does have a real world application, that is).
So do we want a society where everyone acts in their own self interests or one where people think of others? I know what I’d choose.

So do we want a society where everyone acts in their own self interests or one where people think of others? I know what I’d choose.

You live in a society renowned for acting in one's own self-interest. Those that have placed amorphous notions of altruistic justice in the form of redistribution of property and public property have wound up in killing fields, gulags, and concentration camps.

So yes, the primacy of the individual is something to be considered. And not necessarily in a bad way.

It's a lot trickier than you put it when put into practice.

But this hypothetical can't even come close to capturing the nuance of the individualist/communitarian dilemma, so nobody should get bent out of shape about which pill is chosen.

You live in a society renowned for acting in one's own self-interest. Those that have placed amorphous notions of altruistic justice in the form of redistribution of property and public property have wound up in killing fields, gulags, and concentration camps.

So yes, the primacy of the individual is something to be considered. And not necessarily in a bad way.

It's a lot trickier than you put it when put into practice.
I refuse to believe it’s all that difficult to incorporate adding some level of thinking of others into our lives. The overwhelming majority already do it everyday otherwise we wouldn’t have a functioning society, we’d have anarchy. You can care about yourself AND think of others. It’s not binary.

I think it’s just to get people riled up on the internet like you said. I’m mostly just talking out of my *** in here because that’s what stuff like this deserves, it’s just for fun

I refuse to believe it’s all that difficult to incorporate adding some level of thinking of others into our lives.

Nobody is asking you to do that and that's why the hypothetical here is a terrible one.
The premise of those who pick Orange is exactly that. They are thinking only of themselves while betting on the fact everyone else is too. All while risking others lives on that bet.

I refuse to believe it’s all that difficult to incorporate adding some level of thinking of others into our lives.

Nobody is asking you to do that and that's why the hypothetical here is a terrible one.
The premise of those who pick Orange is exactly that. They are thinking only of themselves while betting on the fact everyone else is too. All while risking others lives on that bet.
The irony here is if everyone picks orange everyone lives.

But their favorite color is orange.

Come on that’s just silly. Nobody’s favorite color is orange.

I think this may just then be an example of people's failure to think through a problem (myself included) rather than the traditional PD.

Come on that’s just silly. Nobody’s favorite color is orange.
4 out of my family's alam maters (or soon to be) use Orange. :angry:

I know we’re not supposed to get political here, but can I point out that we faced a choice not unlike this two years ago, and the results weren’t encouraging?

I consider myself pretty easy going, polite, nice fella. I try to be nice to everyone and have some empathy but I don't see how I don't pick orange, it makes the most logical sense. :unsure:

Green pill.

I was gonna go orange at first, because I live either way and I'm selfish. But then I realized I don't want to live in a world where all the selfless green pill folks who would risk their lives to save humanity are gone, and all that's left are people like me.
How are they risking their lives to save humanity? Are you thinking they want to cover the people who misunderstood and accidentally clicked the wrong button?
I think that's what it boils down to. There is a segment of the population that is incapable of making logical decisions and they might randomly select one of the two. If you have a loved one in that segment (toddlers would be), you might be motivated to choose green. Knowing this is the situation, other people (very selfless) might also be motivated to go with green. Would it be enough to reach 50%+? I don't think so. Our society selects for selfishness. But there is more of a dilemma in the hypothetical than I originally thought.

There are so many reasons for people to pick orange. Easy ones that come to mind:
1. They are dumb and can’t think it through so they pick the safe choice
2. They are selfish
3. They are scared….this is their life you are talking about.

I am sure there are many others.

There is no way I would bet my life that enough people would pick green.

Here's a link to the Twitter thread. The original question had the pills colored as blue and red, which I think was hijacking some of the respondents because of the political associations. I am definitely taking the orange pill and I cannot imagine being talked out that view, but I am somehow in the minority on Twitter which is kind of amazing. Let's see how the FFA stacks up.
I agree. Didn't think twice. Taking orange. There is no dilemma here. Take orange, live. Done.

There are so many reasons for people to pick orange. Easy ones that come to mind:
1. They are dumb and can’t think it through so they pick the safe choice
2. They are selfish
3. They are scared….this is their life you are talking about.

I am sure there are many others.

There is no way I would bet my life that enough people would pick green.
4. knowing that everyone who makes the same choice will live vs the really small chance that your vote pushes green over 50%.

Here's a link to the Twitter thread. The original question had the pills colored as blue and red, which I think was hijacking some of the respondents because of the political associations. I am definitely taking the orange pill and I cannot imagine being talked out that view, but I am somehow in the minority on Twitter which is kind of amazing. Let's see how the FFA stacks up.
I agree. Didn't think twice. Taking orange. There is no dilemma here. Take orange, live. Done.
Same, but opposite. Thought about it for 5 seconds and voted green because that is how I thought the majority of the FFA would vote. Everyone lives. :shrug:

It's kind of like one of @hagmania sheep games. It's not your answer, it's the way you think most of the others will answer.

I picked orange without thinking too much that as long as everyone picks orange nobody dies anyways.

I can see the argument the other way though.

Honestly, the level of disagreement in this thread is itself an argument for orange.

I said earlier I didn't want to get political by talking about the vaccine, so I'll stick to a more personal example from the pandemic: My employer at the time did not handle Covid in a way I approved of. They rushed us back into the office by May 2020 for no specific reason. They had an official mask policy that senior leadership routinely ignored. When we did have outbreaks, they insisted on keeping the office open and gaslit those of us who complained as "overreacting", even as they knew I had lost family members to the virus.

For months, I was absolutely enraged at what I viewed as a completely misguided policy. But eventually I came to the realization that it wasn't worth making myself miserable; nothing I did was going to change their behavior. The only thing I could worry about was keeping myself safe. I had to come into the office, but I could keep my mask on and stay away from those who weren't masking. If intra-office outbreaks made me feel unsafe, I could take sick days. (And of course, I could find a new job, which I eventually did.)

Point being, when you're in a situation with low social trust, it is rational to decide that the best you can do is take care of yourself. (I think also of Billy Crudup's character in "Spotlight", who initially tried to raise the alarm about the Church's abuse, but, when he realized no one was listening, decided to get the best deals he could for his individual clients, even if they included NDAs.)

I choose orange, because I have lost all faith in humanity since around 2016. Now I see how selfish everyone is. No way this goes over fifty percent unfortunately. I didn't read any posts in this thread yet fwiw.

Know your audience/enemy/humans

Do people REALLY act in their own self interests or what they think is their self interests? That's the question I would have.

Why would anyone ever choose a pill that has everyone else (or at least a large populace of people) die? That makes zero sense, unless of course you are Thanos.
Simply put, I don't want to live in a world where over 50% of the population dies in an instant. At the minimum, the world economy would crash. At the worst, I lose some people I really love, like my wife and kids because i have no guarantee that they picked orange. This one is pretty easy.

Last edited:
This has been making the rounds in my little Twitter circle. It seems be extremely divisive, so I figured it would make a fun topic for the FFA. Here it goes:

Everyone responding to this poll chooses between a green pill and an orange pill.

If > 50% of people choose the green pill, everyone lives.
If not, orange pills live and green pills die.

Which do you choose?
bro I'm not taking ur pills
and I'm done with annual vaccines.

This has been making the rounds in my little Twitter circle. It seems be extremely divisive, so I figured it would make a fun topic for the FFA. Here it goes:

Everyone responding to this poll chooses between a green pill and an orange pill.

If > 50% of people choose the green pill, everyone lives.
If not, orange pills live and green pills die.

Which do you choose?
bro I'm not taking ur pills
and I'm done with annual vaccines.
but Ivan seems nice

I’m pretty sure at least one of my kids would choose green. I’d cease existing if I had a hand in sentencing one of them to death so green it is.

Users who are viewing this thread