What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Where does this Seattle defense rank among the all time greats? (1 Viewer)

Ack88

Footballguy
After watching this team completely dismantle the presumed greatest offensive team of all time, how high would you rank the Legion of Boom?

For me, they are, at least the best group I've seen since the Ravens of 2000-01.

Top 4. Bears gotta be #1 and they could be #2 ahead of the Ravens and the Bucs.

The 85 Bears would have beat the Seahawks.

Top 4. Bears gotta be #1 and they could be #2 ahead of the Ravens and the Bucs.

The 85 Bears would have beat the Seahawks.
The 1st Ravens team to win had a defense so dominant, it overcame Trent Dilfer. Both the 85 Bears and that Ravens team were better than the Hawks....but this was still an impressive defense.

As usual the team who wins the SB is part of the all time great conversation...
did you not watch the game? they deserve to be in the conversation for that performance against the so called #1 offense in football...
It's 1 game against a guy who folds in the playoffs mostly, was down 2 of their starters on defense…I get what you are saying, not sure any of that mattered tonight. But I don't think the SB performance tonight suddenly thrusts them into the greatest of all time.

I'll ask this 1 question and I hate to do it but it's worth it if they are the one of the GOAT…does Tom Brady get beat by 35 tonight? I'm just asking.

I am seriously re-evaluating Manning or at last giving this amazing run in 2013 as kind of a weird vulgar perversion of the modern NFL. He really looked like a 37 year old on his last legs tonight. And yet he looked amazing at different points this season. I know folks were poked fun of for pointing out the wobbly ducks manning is throwing now but it really seemed to be on full display tonight.

Last edited by a moderator:
85 Bears and 00 Ravens are in a class by themselves imo. Seattle may be atop the next tier. That's since ive been watching in the early 80s.

Definitely in the discussion as they made one of the best offenses in NFL history look very pedestrian.

Some of those 70s Pittsburgh teams have to be in the conversation also.

We the best.
You might drive the SP into the ground, just keep posting baby.

I do question what you are doing here at Midnight on the night of the Super Bowl…if the Phins won I would be celebrating and not trying to piss in the face of internet tools but it takes one to know one I guess.

Obviously you do not live in Seattle which would question if you were actually just born there, grew up there, or became a bandwagon fan once they were good and made their initial Super Bowl?

You don't need to answer ITS, you really don't.

They were the best this year. It really shows what a cupcake schedule Denver had this season. I'm not saying the Seattle defense isn't awesome, but among the all time greats? Nah. SF put up almost twice the points Denver did tonight 2 weeks ago...and that's with Kaepernick at QB, who everyone knows is horrible.

We the best.
You might drive the SP into the ground, just keep posting baby. I do question what you are doing here at Midnight on the night of the Super Bowl…if the Phins won I would be celebrating and not trying to piss in the face of internet tools but it takes one to know one I guess.

Obviously you do not live in Seattle which would question if you were actually just born there, grew up there, or became a bandwagon fan once they were good and made their initial Super Bowl?

Kiss da ring.

We the best.
You might drive the SP into the ground, just keep posting baby. I do question what you are doing here at Midnight on the night of the Super Bowl…if the Phins won I would be celebrating and not trying to piss in the face of internet tools but it takes one to know one I guess.

Kiss da ring.
Flash it baby, I don't see one on your hand though.

And my team went 17-0 and never lost a game so you can take that ring, shove it up your ham flower, and then you can kiss my ###.

Enjoy ITS and stop being a doosh bag,

MOP...he doesn't even read what you write, I think his responses are canned. Drummer did some digging and found out he's a 14 year old rich kid who lives in Vancouver and is a huge Justin Bieber fan.

MOP...he doesn't even read what you write, I think his responses are canned. Drummer did some digging and found out he's a 14 year old rich kid who lives in Vancouver and is a huge Justin Bieber fan.
Never did the sort, although age is obvious.

'85 Bears

'00 Ravens

'13 Seahawks

'86 Giants

'02 Bucs

That Bears team was sick, I can't compare any team to them.

'85 Bears

'00 Ravens

'13 Seahawks

'86 Giants

'02 Bucs

85 bears had Singletary et al00 Ravens had Lewis et al

86 Giants had LT et al

02 Bucs had Sapp et al

13 Hawks...who stands out instantly? There's some good players, and a couple who might be great one day, but not one guy you think of right off the bat who is a force...

'85 Bears

'00 Ravens

'13 Seahawks

'86 Giants

'02 Bucs

86 Giants had LT et al

02 Bucs had Sapp et al

13 Hawks...who stands out instantly? There's some good players, and a couple who might be great one day, but not one guy you think of right off the bat who is a force...
Thomas and Sherman no? Sherman is one of the best five corners in forever, Thomas is a guy who has never been seen before in pro football. He might be the fastest safety to ever play.

:lol:

If you read what I posted, I'm not even mad at him or hating on him, it just seems like tonight…whether it is Miami Dolphins or Miami Hurricanes, I am not going to be in here on the night one of those teams wins their next championship, that's all I'm saying.

I actually can think of a couple Seahawks we are missing tonight, no names mentioned but I bet they are in the thick of it tonight even if they are not in Seattle.

'85 Bears

'00 Ravens

'13 Seahawks

'86 Giants

'02 Bucs

86 Giants had LT et al

02 Bucs had Sapp et al

Excellent point Wing and that's why i think this is the start of a mini run like New England had 2001-2004…lot of eery similarities between the two of them if you ask me.

Top 10 all time and top 3 to defend this era of offenses. They can beat any kind of team but their secondary is arguably as good as any ever.

Top 10 all time and top 3 to defend this era of offenses. They can beat any kind of team but their secondary is arguably as good as any ever.
Lott and Wright both selected in 1981 by the 49ers would rank high on my list.

'81 Super Bowl

'84 Super Bowl

'88 Super Bowl

'89 Super Bowl

Wright certainly fell off over his career, we have no idea about the future of the Seahawks secondary but it looks bright.

'85 Bears

'00 Ravens

'13 Seahawks

'86 Giants

'02 Bucs

86 Giants had LT et al

02 Bucs had Sapp et al

Thomas and Sherman no? Sherman is one of the best five corners in forever, Thomas is a guy who has never been seen before in pro football. He might be the fastest safety to ever play.
Yup they are 2 standouts on that D...but neither is a guy an offense has to game plan for...other than not throwing at Sherman...Thomas is damn good but its not like an OC has to worry about him getting to the QB much or stuffing the run...I'm just saying at this point in time there's not that one guy who keeps OCs up at night...but its a great defense no doubt.

SEA's defense is fast. They also looked very disciplined tonight. They owned Manning. Carroll knows defense. I'd rather a whole team standout than just one feared player, although Sherman is that guy because he pretty much shuts down his side.

They are a good defense but definitely not in the same breath as chicago, baltimore, tampa bay or pittsburgh.

They gave up way too many yards and points this year to even be considered imo.

They are a good defense but definitely not in the same breath as chicago, baltimore, tampa bay or pittsburgh.

Lol...hater
Sorry guess the truth makes me a hater and i dont know your clueless... As I am seeing you are becoming the Richard Sherman of the board. Congrats on being massengils man of the board. Lol.

Lol...hater
Sorry guess the truth makes me a hater and i dont know your clueless... As I am seeing you are becoming the Richard Sherman of the board. Congrats on being massengils man of the board. Lol.
Kiss the ring

'85 Bears

'00 Ravens

'13 Seahawks

'86 Giants

'02 Bucs

86 Giants had LT et al

02 Bucs had Sapp et al

Yup they are 2 standouts on that D...but neither is a guy an offense has to game plan for...other than not throwing at Sherman...Thomas is damn good but its not like an OC has to worry about him getting to the QB much or stuffing the run...I'm just saying at this point in time there's not that one guy who keeps OCs up at night...but its a great defense no doubt.
Wait, so just to be clear.......an offense doesn't have to gameplan for a DB who can't be thrown at? That makes no sense.

Lol...hater
Kiss the ring
Have to agree here. :goodposting:

This is sad. Seattle fans calm down, you won the bowl, you deserve it. Period. But lets chill on the special brownies. Their defense is good, even great... But it did not rank among the best ever. Period. Its fact. Why is it always a few classless idiot fans that have never grown up mentaly from fifth grade.

'85 Bears

'00 Ravens

'13 Seahawks

'86 Giants

'02 Bucs

86 Giants had LT et al

02 Bucs had Sapp et al

Earl Thomas is the best safety, and maybe the best defensive player, in the NFL. He is the heart and soul of this defense, and everyone that watches every 'hawks game will tell you the same.

This is sad. Seattle fans calm down, you won the bowl, you deserve it. Period. But lets chill on the special brownies. Their defense is good, even great... But it did not rank among the best ever. Period. Its fact. Why is it always a few classless idiot fans that have never grown up mentaly from fifth grade.
By every metric, they're top 10 all time. With the destruction of the top scoring offense in the history of the NFL, they get to be in the conversation. I agree with others that its the 85 Bears and then a group of other teams, but this D may be in that group.

'85 Bears

'00 Ravens

'13 Seahawks

'86 Giants

'02 Bucs

86 Giants had LT et al

02 Bucs had Sapp et al

Earl Thomas is the best safety, and maybe the best defensive player, in the NFL. He is the heart and soul of this defense, and everyone that watches every 'hawks game will tell you the same.
http://www.texastwirler.com/matt.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread