What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's the best part of a chicken wing to eat? (1 Viewer)

What's the best part of a chicken wing to eat?

• The drumettes

Votes: 51 43.2%
  • The flats

Votes: 67 56.8%

• Total voters
I abstained from the vote because I believe wings should be left intact, and we shouldn't have to choose between the drum & the flat. That's just Big Chicken maximizing profits off of the sucker consumers by selling you 1/3 of a wing and calling it a wing.

As a hot sauce professional who had a sauce on S9 of Hot Ones, I feel qualified to have this opinion.
What's your favorite hot sauce for wings?

Really any of my favorite hot sauces (I have a list of about 1000, with at least 30 open in my fridge & another 20 on my counter at the moment) - I dry season the wings with salt, pepper, & baking powder, bake until done, and toss them in a 4:1 sauce:melted butter ratio.

I don’t like when the sauce is baked on as it dries out.

The lone exception is teriyaki, as with enough sugar/molasses/honey they’ll glaze up, but often wings come out dry as a result.
I emptied the dry hopped sauce you sent me on a roast last night. Delicious.
Woot! :pickle:

Chrome is one of my finest achievements.
Dry hopped sauce? What's all this now?
Well @Hot Sauce Guy makes hot sauce for a living. I bought a variety pack. One of them (they’re all great) is a habanero mixed with dry hopped ale called Chrome.

I had a fat boss who would pop a whole flat in his mouth and pull out nothing but bone, still attached. He could eat a dozen before anyone else had consumed two or three.
I miss the days when Hooters would leave the tip on the flat. It was like a little chicken wing handle. You could hold just the tip in your right hand, deconstruct the flat with your left hand by separating the two bones inside, and then pull both of the bones all the way out to eat the entire thing in one bite.
Yes! That is what Hooters is known for! The chicken wing handle!
LMAO

Ok... What?

What are flats?
We've always called those "flappers". They are Mr R's preference.

The best ones in Houston. Extra hot, extra wet. Let them soak in that saucy goodness. It used to be in this run-down building. Then the restaurant (Black-Eyed Pea) across the parking lot went out of business. They just moved right on over. Voila- instant nice place. Easiest move ever.

Ok... What?

What are flats?

The best ones in Houston. Extra hot, extra wet. Let them soak in that saucy goodness. It used to be in this run-down building. Then the restaurant (Black-Eyed Pea) across the parking lot went out of business. They just moved right on over. Voila- instant nice place. Easiest move ever.
That place (old location) was my regular lunch place for years. I had no idea that the Black Eyed Pea had closed or that WNT had moved in there. Didja know that Charlie Kerfeld was the original owner?

Ok... What?

What are flats?

:lmao:

That's a name I haven't heard in a long long long time. The quintessential Texas strip-mall anchor restaurant in the 80s/90s.

For the meat ... drum

For the sauce ... flat

Where is the "I don't give a crap" option in the poll?

Ok... What?

What are flats?

That place (old location) was my regular lunch place for years. I had no idea that the Black Eyed Pea had closed or that WNT had moved in there. Didja know that Charlie Kerfeld was the original owner?
We sure did. That's the location I was talking about. The old building had to go. It was in bad shape. The Pea was perfect for them.

I abstained from the vote because I believe wings should be left intact, and we shouldn't have to choose between the drum & the flat. That's just Big Chicken maximizing profits off of the sucker consumers by selling you 1/3 of a wing and calling it a wing.

As a hot sauce professional who had a sauce on S9 of Hot Ones, I feel qualified to have this opinion.

Really any of my favorite hot sauces (I have a list of about 1000, with at least 30 open in my fridge & another 20 on my counter at the moment) - I dry season the wings with salt, pepper, & baking powder, bake until done, and toss them in a 4:1 sauce:melted butter ratio.

The lone exception is teriyaki, as with enough sugar/molasses/honey they’ll glaze up, but often wings come out dry as a result.

Baking powder was the key to my excellent SB wings I made this year. Really helped with some crispness I think.
have some

Baking powder was the key to my excellent SB wings I made this year. Really helped with some crispness I think.
have some

yep!

have some

Nice. I actually did try steaming the wings first and think it helped. I was also trying to speed up the thawing process (I used TJ frozen). Going to have a wing challenge at my house end of month. Bunch of dudes flexing on their wing skills recently....time to put-up or shut-up!

have some

Nice. I actually did try steaming the wings first and think it helped. I was also trying to speed up the thawing process (I used TJ frozen). Going to have a wing challenge at my house end of month. Bunch of dudes flexing on their wing skills recently....time to put-up or shut-up!
they're nice and crispy out of the oven

i've only done the basic butter and Frank's sauce.. well.. because i love butter and Frank's. any sauce will probably be great.

have some

i've only done the basic butter and Frank's sauce.. well.. because i love butter and Frank's. any sauce will probably be great.

I typically go 4 parts sauce, 1 part butter.

That said, I did put out a wing sauce recently, so no butter needed!

have some

I use Kenji's prep method and cook them on the grill, sometimes in the oven if its pissing rain or we have a snowstorm or something. I try to leave them uncovered in the fridge for at least overnight.

I'm ambivalent as to drumettes v flats but mostly just cook wings for my teenager and his friends. I don't pound them down like I used to anymore.

have some

I typically go 4 parts sauce, 1 part butter.

That said, I did put out a wing sauce recently, so no butter needed!
Drums or flats111???
:rant:
Whether you prefer drums or flats, Clucky Dog isn't just another run-of-the-mill high-acid Buffalo sauce.

Even if the drum and flat aren't separated, one can be better than the other.
In other words, I eat both, but prefer the flats.
The better half prefers the drums, so we're good.

I had a fat boss who would pop a whole flat in his mouth and pull out nothing but bone, still attached. He could eat a dozen before anyone else had consumed two or three.
There’s a trick to do this where you hold the flat veritically against the tray/table and press all the meat down to detach it from the bone. Then you can pop in your mouth and suck it clean. Vid of the technique…

have some

Smoke em for an hour or so first, then fry em up and sauce em. Takes em to a whole new level.

Users who are viewing this thread