What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's normal? Reheat yesterday's coffee? (1 Viewer)

NewbieJr

Footballguy
The other day, I went to make coffee and there was still half a pot from the day before. I knew we'd drink more than that, so I added some more coffee grinds and water and let it mix with the existing coffee.

The wife said that was gross and the old should have been poured out first. I argued that it was wasteful throwing out perfectly good day-old coffee and it's not like it would be spoiled.

What's the consensus?

I argued that it was wasteful throwing out perfectly good day-old coffee and it's not like it would be spoiled.

Coffee brewed can be removed promptly from its heat source and kept in a covered container at room temperature until the next morning. It will be fine to drink, just needs to be reheated to your liking. You could even go a second day with it, but its flavor will degrade.

I do this commonly. In fact, whenever I work from home on consecutive days, I brew one 12-cup pot of coffee on, say, Monday morning and drink from it through Tuesday. Sometimes I store it in a carafe on the kitchen counter; sometimes I just leave it in the pot with tin foil sealing the top. Sometimes I'll put the carafe in the fridge to have iced coffee later.

The important thing if you're going to drink coffee this way is to remove it from heat ASAP after brewing. If I'm brewing for a house full of people, this is not necessary -- the coffee pot will be emptied in no time. But if I'm the only one drinking it ... leaving 3/4 of a pot of brewed coffee on the burner for hours on end is a bad idea.

At my house, if there's something like 1/4 of a pot left from the previous morning ... sure, I'll brew more coffee on top of that with fresh grounds. No issue at all to me. Flavor is fine.

If it makes a difference (and it probably does), I don't drink coffee black. Subtle degradations in the the coffee's underlying taste get blitzed by half-and-half and artificial sweeteners.

Why yes, I have tried once-cup-at-a-time brewing. Perfect for someone making coffee for one, they say. Well, I tried a proto-Keurig from back when the one-cup brewing machines were a novelty, and the thing leaked water all over the place AND wouldn't actually get any coffee into the cup. I'm sure Keurigs and all are much better now, but I haven't given them a second chance -- give me Joltin's Joe's reliable Mr. Coffee for my morning cup.

Last edited:
I had food waste (odd and rare pet peeve of mine) so we don't make potted coffee for this reason.

That said, as only a somewhat enthusiastic coffee drinker I wouldn't enjoy day-old reheated coffee but I could see myself reheating it if there was a significant amount still in the pot (but be annoyed that I felt compelled to).

Hmmm. We do not often make pots of coffee. On rare occasion that there is some left over, I sometimes save it in the fridge and use it to make blended coffee drinks

we make espresso drinks at home. after 6 years, our machine stopped providing adequate pressure. we sent it to the manufacturer to assess it.... unrepairable, so they offered 30% off. Anxiously waiting for it to arrive. in the interim we are making french press. easy to regulate the cups, so no real leftovers.

Last edited:
I argued that it was wasteful throwing out perfectly good day-old coffee and it's not like it would be spoiled.

Coffee brewed can be removed promptly from its heat source and kept in a covered container at room temperature until the next morning. It will be fine to drink, just needs to be reheated to your liking. You could even go a second day with it, but its flavor will degrade.

I do this commonly. In fact, whenever I work from home on consecutive days, I brew one 12-cup pot of coffee on, say, Monday morning and drink from it through Tuesday. Sometimes I store it in a carafe on the kitchen counter; sometimes I just leave it in the pot with tin foil sealing the top. Sometimes I'll put the carafe in the fridge to have iced coffee later.

The important thing if you're going to drink coffee this way is to remove it from heat ASAP after brewing. If I'm brewing for a house full of people, this is not necessary -- the coffee pot will be emptied in no time. But if I'm the only one drinking it ... leaving 3/4 of a pot of brewed coffee on the burner for hours on end is a bad idea.

At my house, if there's something like 1/4 of a pot left from the previous morning ... sure, I'll brew more coffee on top of that with fresh grounds. No issue at all to me. Flavor is fine.

If it makes a difference (and it probably does), I don't drink coffee black. Subtle degradations in the the coffee's underlying taste get blitzed by half-and-half and artificial sweeteners.

Why yes, I have tried once-cup-at-a-time brewing. Perfect for someone making coffee for one, they say. Well, I tried a proto-Keurig from back when the one-cup brewing machines were a novelty, and the thing leaked water all over the place AND wouldn't actually get any coffee into the cup. I'm sure Keurigs and all are much better now, but I haven't given them a second chance -- give me Joltin's Joe's reliable Mr. Coffee for my morning cup.
I have no issue reheating day old coffee. Never brewed new coffee over old coffee tho. Why not finish the old coffee first?
Being one that prefers a stronger brew, I also could not stand the one cup Kerug machine coffee that has almost no flavor.
But being a 1 cup a day guy I don't have the need to brew a full pot. I took a chance on a De'Lonhi Truebrew coffee machine. Not cheap.
It grinds whole beans for each cup of coffee and actually takes a couple of minutes to brew a cup ... letting the grounds soak a bit.
Unlike the Kerug that tries to give you a full cup in 15 seconds. The last 8 seconds spewing clear hot water into your mug.
No plastic to dispose of like the Kerug as the Truebrew drops a puck of grounds into a vessel that gets dumped into our compost container about every 6 cups or so.
The coffee quality is excellent and flavorful. The wife prefers the "light" setting, I set the machine at "gold" because the "bold" setting is like an espresso. No regrets.

I had food waste (odd and rare pet peeve of mine) so we don't make potted coffee for this reason.
Coffee is like 99% water. Probably better to waste the water and little amount of grounds compared to single serve coffee pods. Unless of course you make single cup size coffee or espresso

My wife will dump out half a thermos of hot coffee if its more than 30 minutes or so old. I think we dump more coffee than we drink. Re-heating coffee is a completely foreign concept in our house.

I microwave leftover coffee the next day. Need to drink some before I am able to make the next pot.

That said, as only a somewhat enthusiastic coffee drinker I wouldn't enjoy day-old reheated coffee but I could see myself reheating it if there was a significant amount still in the pot (but be annoyed that I felt compelled to).

There was something I left out, though I did kind of hint at it:

If you intend to drink a pot of coffee over two days as I do, you need to maximize the coffee's "life span" up front. That's the point of not letting it sit on the burner after brewing.

So ... if I forget, and leave 1/2 pot of coffee on the burner for even an hour or so, the second-day coffee will suffer -- even with plenty of dairy and sweetener. Forget coffee on the burner until lunch - a good 4-5 hours? Then, yeah, the coffee is not going to be good the next day. Drinkable if you must have immediate caffeine, but far less enjoyable than usual.

Same day iced coffee. Ok. Next day, no. Adding new coffee to old. Hell no.

I’ll take my fresh ground breville double espresso. Want more? Just make it.

Did I miss the fact that we're in a depression or there was some sort of apocalypse? Is there some reason that some people are going all Waterworld with day old coffee?

Did I miss the fact that we're in a depression or there was some sort of apocalypse? Is there some reason that some people are going all Waterworld with day old coffee?
1) Because to me, it tastes pretty much the same. I don't drink black coffee, so subtle notes are lost on me.
2) Making two or three pots of coffee a week versus five pots (wouldn't make a pot on days in the office) is a significant enough cost savings for me to pursue, yes. And yes, things have gotten that tight. Others in different situations, count your blessings.

I mix old and new all the time. As long as it's cold brew (the same stuff), it's fine. I drink it cold and black. I don't even add ice fwiw.

With cold brew there is no heating, so no acid build either.

Last edited:
I always think of Hanks in Saving Private Ryan shaking the empty coffee maker. That will NEVER happen on my watch. Even if there is a zombie apocalypse, there will be a couple of gallons of cold brew ready to go.

If you intend to drink a pot of coffee over two days as I do, you need to maximize the coffee's "life span" up front. That's the point of not letting it sit on the burner after brewing.
I have a similar strategy, but a long time ago I discovered they make coffee makers without the word "burner" in the description.

No glass pots, no scalding burner plates, no Mel's Diner coffee.

Leftover coffee: iced coffee.

Hmmm. We do not often make pots of coffee. On rare occasion that there is some left over, I sometimes save it in the fridge and use it to make blended coffee drinks

we make espresso drinks at home. after 6 years, our machine stopped providing adequate pressure. we sent it to the manufacturer to assess it.... unrepairable, so they offered 30% off. Anxiously waiting for it to arrive. in the interim we are making french press. easy to regulate the cups, so no real leftovers.

due to arrive tomorrow :pickle:

When I make a 10-cup pot in my Moccamaster, keep any extra for the next morning or even later that afternoon to pour over big ice cubes and have iced coffee.
The coffee in the Moccamaster seems to taste almost as good anytime within about 12-24 hours sitting in that pot.

Users who are viewing this thread