What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What's Normal? - Do you regularly drink alcohol non-socially? (1 Viewer)

Do you regularly drink alcohol non-socially?

• Total voters
I rarely drink any alcohol, so my answer would be NO to both social or non-social drinking. I'm guessing there won't be a poll on whether people regularly take peyote, so I will keep participating in these polls.

I have no social life, so I’d probably never drink otherwise.

Mostly weekend — beer and/or cocktail while watching some sports or reading a book. Maybe wine with dinner if grilling a steak or having some pasta.

If I go out somewhere for a beer by myself but have a little chit-chat with others is that social or non-social?

I am socializing with all you while drinking
Demented and sad, but social.
I'm not sure how sad that is.

I've spent a lot of fun nights having a beer and hanging out in the game threads and interacting with people in there. Some of those folks I've met in person and have developed some true friendships.

I also feel like a lot of folks in those threads and here and everywhere are people who would meet me out for a beer if I were ever in their towns. And some of those guys I've met at tailgates here in KC.

Good way to expand the network of friends if you ask me.

If I go out somewhere for a beer by myself but have a little chit-chat with others is that social or non-social?
IMO... going out makes it social. But if you're alone, maybe it's not. I guess that going out and chit-chating makes it social.

No. With that said- I don’t drink alcohol in general regularly. Maybe 4-6x a year, and it’s pretty much always in social settings. I do take edibles regularly in non social situations (maybe 2x a month).

I've spent a lot of fun nights having a beer and hanging out in the game threads and interacting with people in there. Some of those folks I've met in person and have developed some true friendships.

I also feel like a lot of folks in those threads and here and everywhere are people who would meet me out for a beer if I were ever in their towns. And some of those guys I've met at tailgates here in KC.

Breakfast Club reference. Bit of a stretch but thought I'd try it anyway.

As many of you know I am very big into homebrewing. I brew 1/2 barrel batches every 3 weeks or so and have 9 beers on tap in my house. I drink with my friends every Thursday night and again on Sundays during football season.

With all of that beer (plus a stocked fridge) it is very rare for me to pour a beer for myself the other 5 days of the week. I may have a glass of wine with my wife with dinner but I drink so much beer when I'm with my buddies that I've already had my fill and don't need to drink by myself.

Voted yes. My social life is 90% at home with my wife anyway. I'm a weekend guy. Mostly beer, but we'll share a bottle of wine sometimes (usually friday night hot tub time). I'll have anywhere from 2-4 drinks each day Fri-Sun depending on what we're doing. Some days it's zero, some days (football days or grilling on the patio) it's 4, but usually not more than that. Don't like a heavy buzz anymore, but a light one is nice. These days I tend to recognize when the beers start pouring themselves and I'll switch to seltzer or NA beer (Guinness makes a great one).

I actually think it's good for you but rarely do in practice. I'd like to have a single drink once a day but in reality, like you @Keerock , I probably imbibe non-socially more like once a month to two months. But at least it tends to be good scotch, so what I miss out on in quantity I make up for in spades in quality ;)

Where's the option for "I don't drink much but for copious amounts on the golf course because it's a necessary factor for me to shoot in the 70s because I'm a mental midget otherwise..."?

That said, under your parameters, I voted yes because I'll usually have a glass of wine or two with my wife on Friday and/or Saturday evenings.

In my younger days I used to, but not anymore.
Funny, in my younger days I used to only drink socially. And, usually only at night. Now that I'm older and have kids and no desire to go out to bars, I drink more often during the day and at home.

Once in a while I’ll have a beer or two on my deck or while watching a football game, but at this stage of my life my drinking is social - which I’ll included having 1-3 beers with dinner a bar.

I was never much of a drinker, even in college, when I stuck to beer. My wife hates the smell of any alcohol, so I haven't drunk much over the last 25+ years, except at the few parties we ever went to.

Then covid hit.

While binge-watching Parks and Recreation for the 2nd time during quarantine, Ron Swanson emerged as a personal favorite. His relationship with Lagavulin 16 made me curious about scotch and opened the door to whiskey. I mostly limit myself to only drinking on nights when I don't have to get up early/work the next day, and I usually have 1, 2 or sometimes 3 100ml pours of scotch or bourbon after dinner. I stick to my corner of the house and when I'm sleepy enough, I go to bed. I'm not averse to drinking with others if the opportunity presents itself, though to me, it's too expensive to have at a restaurant/bar, and we don't get invited to many parties where whiskey is offered, so I'm mostly a non-social drinker, though not by choice.

This is not a straight forward question for me. I enjoy most alcohol and would sample quite a bit professionally. These days i really do not drink to catch a buzz. I like the flavors of whatever i am having.

Daughter is a senior and driving now. I rarely drank for the last 7ish years, as i wanted to be available should she need a ride. So, I am starting to consume more now as mrs an i are happy to get take out or cook, and open the bottle or make some cocktails and not worry about driving.

while we would pick who is DD when we go out socially, yes, we will consume a little with dinner and on weekends at home (non-socially)..

Trying to cut down my drinking with each passing day. The craft beer scene in Portland is just bonkers and that's what I love. Especially now in Fresh Hop Season. I will definitely have 4 - 6 cans over the course of Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Typically don't drink at all Sunday through Wednesday.

I was never much of a drinker, even in college, when I stuck to beer. My wife hates the smell of any alcohol, so I haven't drunk much over the last 25+ years, except at the few parties we ever went to.

Then covid hit.

While binge-watching Parks and Recreation for the 2nd time during quarantine, Ron Swanson emerged as a personal favorite. His relationship with Lagavulin 16 made me curious about scotch and opened the door to whiskey. I mostly limit myself to only drinking on nights when I don't have to get up early/work the next day, and I usually have 1, 2 or sometimes 3 100ml pours of scotch or bourbon after dinner. I stick to my corner of the house and when I'm sleepy enough, I go to bed. I'm not averse to drinking with others if the opportunity presents itself, though to me, it's too expensive to have at a restaurant/bar, and we don't get invited to many parties where whiskey is offered, so I'm mostly a non-social drinker, though not by choice.
Shark move: it's best before dinner when you're a little hungry. If you're downing 2-3 anyway, I suggest trying the first one before dinner, then finish with the other 1 or 2 after?

Then covid hit.

Shark move: it's best before dinner when you're a little hungry. If you're downing 2-3 anyway, I suggest trying the first one before dinner, then finish with the other 1 or 2 after?
I may try that tomorrow. On the other hand, I also binge-watched Mad Men during quarantine and saw how it worked out for Don Draper.

Is regular now considered once a week? If you worked out at the gym once per week don't think anyone would consider that regular.

Edit: I rarely drink now unlike my younger college thru early 30s.

Trying to cut down my drinking with each passing day. The craft beer scene in Portland is just bonkers and that's what I love. Especially now in Fresh Hop Season. I will definitely have 4 - 6 cans over the course of Thursday, Friday and Saturday. Typically don't drink at all Sunday through Wednesday.
how much weight have you gained? That's like drinking liquid bread. If you must drink highly recommend switching to vodka soda or for a less healthy drink try and old fashion at least you won't be able to consume as many calories. Also sip the hard liquor drinks spend as much as you can afford which will make you not pound your drinks and run out of booze quicker.

Breakfast Club reference. Bit of a stretch but thought I'd try it anyway.
I caught it. :thumbup:

Is this poll public on purpose?
I've had several people on previous polls indicate that they would like them to be public... so I did it this time.
That’s a weird request.
Weird, normal... potayto, potahto
poll it up! do you want these polls public, or not? or maybe, are you more likely to vote if its public or private?

how much weight have you gained? That's like drinking liquid bread. If you must drink highly recommend switching to vodka soda or for a less healthy drink try and old fashion at least you won't be able to consume as many calories. Also sip the hard liquor drinks spend as much as you can afford which will make you not pound your drinks and run out of booze quicker.
I've dropped weight. I've been anywhere in the 202 to 210 range the past 20 years. I've been hovering right around 200 the last year and even dropped down to 198/199 on a few occasions.

Absolutely. I have a little garden pond in the back yard with a TV hanging over it and speakers. At least once a week (like last night), I will sit out there and watch a game or listen to music and have a few beers. Very relaxing.

I'm a simple rum drinker. On the rocks, or a rum & coke, mmmm. I drink 3-4 nights a week, but never more than 2 drinks because any more than that and I sleep like crap and feel terrible the next day. I will do the occasional margarita with dinner at our fav Mexican restaurant, but otherwise 100% of my drinking time is done alone, at night after the kid goes to bed, unwinding/watching a game/etc.

Users who are viewing this thread