What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What would it take for you to trade Mahomes? (1 Viewer)

Last week this trade happened-

redraft league 

mahomes , Dalvin Cook, obj, Vance mcdonald

For

stafford, Sony Michel, Tyler Boyd, Eric Ebron 

I thought it was reasonably fair because 

Sony Michel was a top 10 back and cook is clearly ####ed this season may do nothing period ROS and even pre season his back up Murray looked much better than cook 

Ebron is the #1 TE and consistent scoring in 5/6 weeks

obj was bound to rebound but Boyd could hold his own ROS

curious any thoughts  

After reading this thread I inquired of the Mahomes owner and he said, “he’s basically like Gurley.”

I laughed. 

You don’t understand why a guy wouldn't want to give up Mahomes for an RB who can’t get on the field....?...not to mention Rodgers dinged as well...?
In dynasty. 

Not to jump on the Milkman, but I don't do that deal, either.  Rodgers is getting healthier, though. Just older. I think he's just hoping the guy does it, anyway.  

Gurley maybe....but good chance they clinch HFA early and start giving Brown more run to save wear and tear on Gurley....Kamara owners probably struggled last two weeks he has played (which is what I am referring too)... Ingram stealing points...Hunt...lots of other options....if you get some of these guys, great, but IMO it won't be the best decision in the long run...especially if you aren't trotting out Rodgers, Brady, etc. in Mahomes place...

everybody is going to throw out the player A + Player B versus Mahomes + player C thing....but you just don't know...I'm rollin the dice with Mahomes and player C everyday of the week and twice on Sunday...
Dude...

Since Winston has been back he's scored 30.5 to Mahommes 32.9.  You move Mahommes for Barkley/Hunt in a heartbeat and replace a guy like Lindsey/Boyd/Agoholor/Thompson.

I was thinking about this last night as I looked at weeks 15/16 for the first time.    Chiefs have a Thursday night game at home on December 13 against the Chargers, who should have Bosa back.   Average nighttime temperature in Kansas City in mid-December is 28 degrees.   Historically there's also a decent chance of snow. 

Then for week 16 championships they go to Seattle for a Sunday night game on December 23.   Guaranteed cold and rainy, if not snowing. 

Add to this a week 12 bye, and I think there may be some reason to cash out, get a WR1 out of him and find a QB with a friendly warm weather schedule down the stretch.
This is good thinking right here 

Last week this trade happened-

redraft league 

mahomes , Dalvin Cook, obj, Vance mcdonald

For

stafford, Sony Michel, Tyler Boyd, Eric Ebron 

I thought it was reasonably fair because 

Sony Michel was a top 10 back and cook is clearly ####ed this season may do nothing period ROS and even pre season his back up Murray looked much better than cook 

Ebron is the #1 TE and consistent scoring in 5/6 weeks

obj was bound to rebound but Boyd could hold his own ROS

curious any thoughts  
Not in a million years.

I don't play redraft... even then "no".

Rodgers 
OK, that makes a lot of sense. Adams is exactly the kind of mid-tier WR1 I had in mind. Again, using my (admittedly imperfect) "If we re-did the draft today" model of valuing players, I think Mahomes and Adams would go around the same spot.

I only play in Superflex leagues.  Which means Mahomes' value is through the roof.  If I were a Mahomes owner in a superflex league, I would need an elite RB in return.  He would be a mid-first round pick in a superflex league.

Try replacing Gurley.  I bet I can buy Ryan way cheaper and in my 6pt passing TD league that only drops me ~5ppg.  

If you play Dynasty, assuming no injuries, Mahomes will be playing significantly longer than any RB currently playing in the NFL just based on position longevity.  While I agree Mahomes for Gurley isn’t exactly even, It’s also not absurd. 

If you play Dynasty, assuming no injuries, Mahomes will be playing significantly longer than any RB currently playing in the NFL just based on position longevity.  While I agree Mahomes for Gurley isn’t exactly even, It’s also not absurd. 
I get that but he’s a QB.  He’s just not going to outscore other QBs by enough to make up the difference in replacing a stud RB even in Dynasty.  IMO. 

Glad to see the topic come up.

I have Mahomes locked up for the next 5 years and Wentz for the next 4 (contract league)

Thinking of floating the T Hill (3 years) owner  a Wentz flier.

Sorry if this is a AC related post.

The Mahomes and Wentz owner just traded away Mahomes for Hunt in a redraft league.  Seems like the rich just got richer.  Now the Wentz owner has three great RBs to start at RB1 RB2 and flex.   

No, it is absurd. This was my rational for drafting Rodgers in the 1st rd of our dynasty start up many years ago... "I'll never have to worry about the QB position ever again!" 

While this may have been true I also was a middle of the pack team for many years. Which is a bad place to be. RBs still ruled the roost back then and I was significantly behind the other top tier teams at the position. It took me years to catch up.

Even if Mahomes ends up being an all-time fantasy great he still won't be as valuable to a team as Gurley will based on what they bring to their respective positions alone. 

No QB is worth a 1st rd selection in a start 1QB league. This coming from the guy who learned the hard way. Mahomes at his most valuable has already passed. It was to the dynasty owners who secured him last season in rookie drafts or to the redraft owners who grabbed him later on this year. 

Last edited by a moderator:
No, it is absurd. This was my rational for drafting Rodgers in the 1st rd of our dynasty start up many years ago... "I'll never have to worry about the QB position ever again!" 

While this may have been true I also was a middle of the pack team for many years. Which is a bad place to be. RBs still ruled the roost back then and I was significantly behind the other top tier teams at the position. It took me years to catch up.

Even if Mahomes ends up being an all-time fantasy great he still won't be as valuable to a team as Gurley will based on what they bring to their respective positions alone. 

No QB is worth a 1st rd selection in a start 1QB league. This coming from the guy who learned the hard way. Mahomes at his most valuable has already passed. It was to the dynasty owners who secured him last season in rookie drafts or to the redraft owners who grabbed him later on this year. 
I would typically agree with this but I feel Mahomes is different. For the next 4-5 years he will be paired up with the best deep threat the league has seen maybe ever but certainly in the last 5-10 years. If he throws 40 TDs a year annually over those 4-5 years he absolutely is worth a 1st round pick in dynasty start up drafts. 

I'm not a dynasty guy but I have a dynasty question....with the huge differential in shelf life between QB and RB do RB's still carry that much weight compared to what a guy like Mahomes can do for 15 years?

Is a Gurley for 5-6 years really worth more than an elite QB for 15?

I'm not a dynasty guy but I have a dynasty question....with the huge differential in shelf life between QB and RB do RB's still carry that much weight compared to what a guy like Mahomes can do for 15 years?

Yes, he is. In our dynasty league we have a custom scoring system that we've come up with to try and make scoring more balanced across the positions. As of today the top 25 consists of 9 QBs/7 RBs/9 WRs. We have 12 teams so 75% of us have a QB in the top 25. No one owns more than 1 of those QBs. Digging a little bit further and the next group of 10 contains 6 more QBs. I imagine most leagues are pretty similar.

It's simple math. It's easier to find a startable QB than it is to find a RB. Especially one of Gurley's stature. 

Yes because of position scarcity.  QB's are easier to come by so you can closer to Mahomes output easier than it is to get to Gurley's output positionally. 

I would typically agree with this but I feel Mahomes is different. For the next 4-5 years he will be paired up with the best deep threat the league has seen maybe ever but certainly in the last 5-10 years. If he throws 40 TDs a year annually over those 4-5 years he absolutely is worth a 1st round pick in dynasty start up drafts. 
I like hill a lot, have him in two dynasty leagues and it would almost be impossible to pry him from me. But I don't think he's quite in the tier with Randy Moss. He's pretty close to Steve Smith caliber. Awesome for taking one deep and getting separation. The Mahomes/hill combination is fantastic, I'm just not sure I'm ready to put it at Cpep/Moss or Brady/Moss, ben/brown or Peyton/Marvin levels. Maybe. 

But I do think Mahomes owners will want to keep him, expecting a career similar to Peyton, Brees or Rodgers. 

I won't disagree with the others here, but if you're trying to build a dynasty, there's something to be said for Mahomes as a top pick right now and get your other studs later. That's what makes it hard for me to trade Mahomes in the league I have him. 

I got offered Mahomes for Melvin Gordon 2 weeks ago - Turned it down pretty quickly.  My QB's aren't great (Luck, Stafford), and I'm deep at RB (Need WR's and TE's), but I can't justify that kind of trade-off. 

Apparently it took Mariota, Corey Davis and a 3rd to get me to trade Mahomes.  Also that my QB2 was Andrew Luck, and I'm a Titans fan.

Does it help if I'm rebuilding and don't care if I lose the rest of the year (but won't tank)?
don't know the ins and outs of your league....but the arrow seems to be going in the wrong direction for MM/Davis...as a Titans fan you may know more than I do so I defer....and it sounds like that may have factored in for you....and not sure the value of your third rounder.....I would have been shopping/packaging Luck instead even if it meant maybe not as much in return....Mahomes seems like the perfect guy to rebuild around....not use to rebuild....and I'm not sure MM and Davis is where I would want to start a rebuild...

-OZ- said:
I like hill a lot, have him in two dynasty leagues and it would almost be impossible to pry him from me. But I don't think he's quite in the tier with Randy Moss. He's pretty close to Steve Smith caliber. Awesome for taking one deep and getting separation. The Mahomes/hill combination is fantastic, I'm just not sure I'm ready to put it at Cpep/Moss or Brady/Moss, ben/brown or Peyton/Marvin levels. Maybe. 

But I do think Mahomes owners will want to keep him, expecting a career similar to Peyton, Brees or Rodgers. 
Tyreek has like 20 receiving TDs in 21 career starts. Most of those starts with Alex Smith. He has 7 in 7 games this year with Mahomes. Both Mahomes and Tyreek haven't hit their typical peak years. I wouldn't undervalue this pairing........

I got offered Mahomes for Melvin Gordon 2 weeks ago - Turned it down pretty quickly.  My QB's aren't great (Luck, Stafford), and I'm deep at RB (Need WR's and TE's), but I can't justify that kind of trade-off. 
I would do that deal (being deep at RB) and move Luck for a WR/TE.  Shelf life of RBs a big part of my logic.

I would do that deal (being deep at RB) and move Luck for a WR/TE.  Shelf life of RBs a big part of my logic.
If I thought I could move Luck, I would've considered it.  My issue is my league is REALLY trade averse.  We average 1-2 trades TOTAL per year...some years none.  I'm not even sure why.  Owners are active, but just don't seem to respond to trades.  I propose probably 5-6 trades a year.  90% of them don't even get counters.  I might get an offer every 2 years.  

I would have to get a top RB to let go of Mahomes in my 1QB dynasty. I know that wouldn't happen (and I wouldn't do it if I were the Gurley/Barkley owner) so he's essentially untradable for me. Though the scales are tipped a bit because I also own Hill. The sheer excitement of watching the KC offense and knowing my QB/WR tandem can erase damn near any deficit I may face is far too fun let either go. I understand that may be an odd piece to factor in, but knowing this team is going to be a featured prime-time team over the next few years means added enjoyment to my personal FF gaming. 

I would have to get a top RB to let go of Mahomes in my 1QB dynasty. I know that wouldn't happen (and I wouldn't do it if I were the Gurley/Barkley owner) so he's essentially untradable for me. Though the scales are tipped a bit because I also own Hill. The sheer excitement of watching the KC offense and knowing my QB/WR tandem can erase damn near any deficit I may face is far too fun let either go. I understand that may be an odd piece to factor in, but knowing this team is going to be a featured prime-time team over the next few years means added enjoyment to my personal FF gaming. 
I think that's a totally defensible position. At the end of the day, we play this game because it's fun.

Fat Nick said:
If I thought I could move Luck, I would've considered it.  My issue is my league is REALLY trade averse.  We average 1-2 trades TOTAL per year...some years none.  I'm not even sure why.  Owners are active, but just don't seem to respond to trades.  I propose probably 5-6 trades a year.  90% of them don't even get counters.  I might get an offer every 2 years.  
I've always tried to build my teams with studs; guys that are virtually match-up proof; week in, week out starters.  Mahomes looks like that guy to me and he is surrounded by physically gifted and talented play makers.   The kid is 23 years old and looks exceptional.  Exactly the type of guy I want to build around.

The understand the QB position is deep and in one QB leagues, you can almost always get a serviceable guy and is might be difficult to get value for Luck.  Add to that the question marks recently surrounding him... I see where finding a buyer might be a challenge.

I actually own the same duo and was targeting the Watson owner who I know was frustrated, at least, until yesterday.    I didn't actually make an offer because I didn't think I'd get close to full value and having Luck in my back pocket might be important for my "win now" team.  Thinking of moving him in the off-season.

Too many leagues are trade averse.  I often "over-pay" to get guys I like.  Having a rooting interest is often a factor.

Users who are viewing this thread