What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What should we do with $96,000? (1 Viewer)

danielmclark

Footballguy
My wife and I currently have $96,000 in an old 401k that we've just paid back a loan from, so we can now decide to do something with it. I'm going to meet with a local financial advisor, but I'm also curious what you guys would do with it. This isn't the only retirement account we have, but it's the largest. It's been a very good account for us because it's about 20% company stock from a job that my wife used to have. The return since inception (mid-2000's) is over 19%.

I'm good with basic banking and credit, but I'm pretty clueless about advanced topics like stock trading and retirement options. So "throw it all into the market tomorrow" probably won't work for me ;) But I learn well and I'm willing to explore options that I'm not well versed in yet. We are not averse to some risk, but this account needs to be pretty stable.

So... leave it alone? Put it somewhere else? Roll it into an IRA? Something else?

IRA, index fund, low fees.

Or go see a financial advisor and put together a balanced portfolio that might give you a little better return.

How old are you? What does the rest of your retirement portfolio look like?

Without any more info, and assuming you don't have some amazing investment options in the 401(k), I'd say roll it into a traditional IRA at Vanguard and invest in one of their Target Retirement Funds.

Then go to the bogleheads wiki and do some reading.

How old are you? What does the rest of your retirement portfolio look like?

Without any more info, and assuming you don't have some amazing investment options in the 401(k), I'd say roll it into a traditional IRA at Vanguard and invest in one of their Target Retirement Funds.

Then go to the bogleheads wiki and do some reading.

Roll the money into an IRA. That way you will have relatively unlimited choices instead of the limited choices you have in the 401k.

You would need to provide a ton more info before anyone could give you any real advice beyond that.

If you're asking here I assume you know nearly nothing about money.

Roll it into an IRA, put all your money into a target date retirement fund

They have one for just about every 5 years.. so if you want to retire in 25 years i'd pick the Vanguard 2040 or 2045 fund.

Done

Buy a cable access channel and talk about weed. Call it the Weed Channel, turn $96k into $126k and a lifetime supply of Fritos.

buy a really nice car, spend the rest on a very nice vacation. #### the wait till 66 to enjoy it. do something fun while still young.

Users who are viewing this thread