What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What Player Was Your Biggest Reach in Rookie Drafts This Year? (1 Viewer)

Hot Sauce Guy

Footballguy
We've seen a lot of rookie drafts, and collectively had a chuckle at some of the picks.

Then today in a 12-team SF I reached for Spencer Rattler at 3.04. Not a fan of the WRs on the board, the RBs didn't excite me (unfortunately this was before I dealt one away), and in SF if something happens to Carr (or if Carr just keeps doing what he's been doing) I figured I could flip him for a massive profit. Wishful thinking? Yeah, sure, maybe. But I didn't have another pick until the 5th, so....yeah.
:scared:

In hindsight I probably shoulda taken a RB. :kicksrock:

There - I admitted it. I suck. What about you? Who have you reached for in a draft so far? Don't be scared - this is a safe space. You're among friends. 🤗

Topic rules: no one is allowed to mock or insult anyone for their picks. It's brave to admit your reaches and we should all be supportive of each other, even when we suck at FF.

Unfortunately I only had 3 picks this year so not a lot of opportunity to overreach. I would have overreached for Isaac Guerendo. Think Shanny finally drafted the right RB to take over for CMC in 2 years when they can’t justify the cost for a 29 year old RB.

Sorry, don't do rookie drafts, so I really have no idea where Rattler should be taken. But yeah, sounds like a reach, and you suck at FF! Come on, man. When was the last time a QB named Spencer ever amounted to anything?

Sorry, don't do rookie drafts, so I really have no idea where Rattler should be taken. But yeah, sounds like a reach, and you suck at FF! Come on, man. When was the last time a QB named Spencer ever amounted to anything?
Don’t make me tap the sign.

There was only 1 rule. :doh:

Seriously though - he’s probably a 4th round pick in this league size. In a 16-teamer late 3rd. So maybe like a 10-16 pick reach. Or 20. Sigh

That said, the Carr shareholder was picking in a few picks.

Don’t make me tap the sign.

There was only 1 rule. :doh:

Seriously though - he’s probably a 4th round pick in this league size. In a 16-teamer late 3rd. So maybe like a 10-16 pick reach. Or 20. Sigh

That said, the Carr shareholder was picking in a few picks.
No one else seemed to be joining in your thread, so thought I'd spice it up. :wink:

In all seriousness, I assume at least 6 QB's were gone, right?

In all seriousness, I assume at least 6 QB's were gone, right?
The exact number, yes. If you sorted by QB, Rattler was the next on the board.

Makes it no less of a reach tho. I tried to trade back, but was limited to 5 teams before the Carr owner, none of whom wanted to deal.

Last edited:
Ok. I’ll play…though I don’t really think any of my picks have been a big reach, but you tell me.

Both 12 team, FFPC, 1QB, TE-P format.

SharkPool FFPC league
2.1 Blake Corum RB LAR
4.1 Jalen McMillan WR TB
5.1 Greg Dulcich TE DEN
5.3 Dylan Laube RB LV
5.8 JJ McCarthy QB MIN
5.9 Brenden Rice WR LAC
6.1 Devontez Walker WR BAL

my other FFPC leauge:
2.5 Xavier Legette WR CAR
3.5 Audric Estime RB DEN
4.5 Dylan Laube RB LV
5.3 Drake Maye QB NE
5.5 Tank Bigsby RB JAX
6.2 Brenden Rice WR LAC
7.5 Noah Fant TE SEA

my reaches are Devontez Walker BAL WR and Jared Wiley KCC TE
Where you take them?

It’s ok, you’re among friends. You can tell us.
3 leagues, no IDP, not SF, TE+

14 teams : 3.08 Walker, 3.09 Wiley
14 teams : 3.02 Wiley
16 teams : 3.05 Walker

(my son told me to look into walker :-) and feel like his upside is too high to ignore)

My philosphy is WRs win dynasty leagues and RBs are too beat up to provide lasting value, so I tend to trade for a RB mid-season if my team is already playoff bound. I lean heavily against drafting RBs, but...

I feel like Braelon Allen might be under-valued. In one 14 team league, he fell to me at 4.12 ... or maybe there's something I don't know about him?

We've seen a lot of rookie drafts, and collectively had a chuckle at some of the picks.

Then today in a 12-team SF I reached for Spencer Rattler at 3.04. Not a fan of the WRs on the board, the RBs didn't excite me (unfortunately this was before I dealt one away), and in SF if something happens to Carr (or if Carr just keeps doing what he's been doing) I figured I could flip him for a massive profit. Wishful thinking? Yeah, sure, maybe. But I didn't have another pick until the 5th, so....yeah.

There - I admitted it. I suck. What about you? Who have you reached for in a draft so far? Don't be scared - this is a safe space. You're among friends. 🤗

Topic rules: no one is allowed to mock or insult anyone for their picks. It's brave to admit your reaches and we should all be supportive of each other, even when we suck at FF.

Rattler went in my SF league around 3.04 so maybe not quite so much the reach that you thought it was. Or you both reached !

I’ve only done one rookie draft so far this year. 32 teams, The league has two copies of every player so it can become obvious when one team reaches.
The Two players I took before the other copy went are Oduze at 1.05 (3rd player), and Cedric Gray at 4.03 (50th). Both other copies went the next pick.

The biggest difference between copies was Rees-Zanmit at 4.06 and 5.25. Which I think is completely understandable. Jamari thrash might beat that, picked 4.30 with the second copy still available, we’re on pick 6.15.

FWIW, rattler went 5.12 and 5.13 (70th player). Non SF, I don’t think he’s the reach you state in SF.

Sorry, I haven't done a rookie draft yet, nor do I play SF. Still, I think this kind of therapy session will help relieve some of your anxiety. I wish I had had this much community support last year when in a TE+ league I drafted Mayer three pick ahead of LaPorta. Now that pick even looks worse.

To answer your question mild paste person, I don't reach, because every player I take outperforms their draftslot by miles.

jermaine burton at 3.04 would be the closest, I'd assume.... Franklin at 2.07 and estime at 3.07

Burton was a 2nd round pick in both my leagues that have drafted already. I don't think that is a reach.

After listening to a Player Profiler podcast, I reached for Dylan Laube in the third round of a FFPC draft. I have fond memories of Danny Woodhead's RB1 years and had to get Laube on my bench if he is the second coming.

My all-time reach was taking Ke'Shawn Vaughn over Justin Jefferson. Hey, I needed a RB.

To answer your question mild paste person, I don't reach, because every player I take outperforms their draftslot by miles.

jermaine burton at 3.04 would be the closest, I'd assume.... Franklin at 2.07 and estime at 3.07

Burton was a 2nd round pick in both my leagues that have drafted already. I don't think that is a reach.
Yeah, I was thinking that sounded more like a bargain. Went pick 2.2 in our 16 teamer.

Yeah, I was thinking that sounded more like a bargain. Went pick 2.2 in our 16 teamer.

it's a 10 team league tbf, and we drafted pretty early... but ya, it wasn't a reach... i just wanted to call HSG some names. :)

Just because the player eventually outperforms their draft slot does not take away the fact that drafting said player was a reach at the time. If you want to use 20-20 hindsight there is a chance that MHJ becomes the biggest reach of all time..........eventually.

Both other copies went the next pick.
I have never been in a dual copy league but I would think that human nature would lend itself to this happening quite a bit. Everyone kind of waiting on someone to break the seal and once that happens it's a race to get the 2nd guy because everyone knows they have no shot at the guy once he is taken. I wonder what the average pick difference is for the copies across the board. I would guess it's probably very low. Somewhere between 2 and 4 picks would be my completely blind guess.

Sometimes you have to get your guy. I know we have had this discussion before regarding "value" and that ideally you want to maximize this value every pick in a draft. Philosophically I think it is a true statement but in the real world with real people making picks this "value" assessment is ultimately meaningless because the draft will not go according to the actual value of the players. By this I mean the highest overall scorer will not go first pick and so forth down the line.

So while you may believe that Player X is a good value or a reach at a particular draft slot there is no guarantee of either being true. Because of that I think sometimes you have to "reach" and get the guy you believe in to make sure you get that guy.

If you don't do this throughout your draft then you might as well just go on auto draft and let the computer optimize the "value" for you. For me, that's just no fun.

I have had only one draft thus far - no massive over reaches. The WR order of Coleman - Thomas - Worthy - McConkey was the most interesting - everything else was close to ADP. Maybe I should stop posting composite rankings LOL.

Rattler went in my SF league around 3.04 so maybe not quite so much the reach that you thought it was. Or you both reached !
We both reached.

I don’t think he’s the reach you state in SF.
I only base it off my 2 rookie drafts. I took rattler in both. One is a 16 team SF, the other a 12 team SF. Traded up to take him 3.16 (pick 48) in the 16 teamer, so 3.04 (pick 28) feels… early.

Sorry, I haven't done a rookie draft yet, nor do I play SF. Still, I think this kind of therapy session will help relieve some of your anxiety. I wish I had had this much community support last year when in a TE+ league I drafted Mayer three pick ahead of LaPorta. Now that pick even looks worse.
Oof. Big hugs. 🤗

Both other copies went the next pick.
I have never been in a dual copy league but I would think that human nature would lend itself to this happening quite a bit. Everyone kind of waiting on someone to break the seal and once that happens it's a race to get the 2nd guy because everyone knows they have no shot at the guy once he is taken. I wonder what the average pick difference is for the copies across the board. I would guess it's probably very low. Somewhere between 2 and 4 picks would be my completely blind guess.
It works similarly when you’re in multiple leagues with the same people.

I’m in 3 such leagues - so when you draft a 2nd time, those people know who your targets are. Especially if you trade up to take them, or reach for them.

there’s one friend I’m in 4 leagues with. 3 dynasty, and my local redraft. And he’s a shark - he’s in like 25 leagues, and wins fairly often.

the local redraft is the latest one for obvious reasons, so by then he’s seen me draft 3x. If he’s before me in a round & there’s a rookie he knows I like at that ADP, I have none chance at him. And he knows my rosters, which also impacts it.

My only ace in the hole is that I don’t love some of the players on my teams, or I don’t always want to consolidate that much risk. Ha!

Oof. Big hugs. 🤗
I feel much better now. Thanks.
I did draft Nacua late last year as a win, but traded him for David Montgomery because I needed a RB bad. :(

reached for WR Jalen McMillan in most drafts up to as high as 2.14 - hoping the healthy junior year was the norm and not the outlier and vice versa for the injured senior year ... one example where coming back hurt the player's draft status

My all-time reach was taking Ke'Shawn Vaughn over Justin Jefferson. Hey, I needed a RB.
Ouch

On that note, I took over an orphan team in 2020. Unfortunately it was AFTER the rookie draft. First thing I did was look how the draft went. The guy who had the team picked 9th and he took Zack Moss. Pick 11 was Jefferson, who I had a man crush on. A lot of head shaking that day. Guess he needed a RB too :wall:

Last edited:
Dylan Laube. I grabbed Jaleel McLaughlin last year as that little guy with catching ability hunch and it paid off. Reading a thread around here + being reminded of the return rules changing feels like he could be the kind of player set up to do returns, find his way onto the field for 3rd down work, and the runners ahead of him (White/Mattison) are not exactly the strongest backs holding a clear hold on the role.

I will get back to you in August when we have our draft ... But actually, I don't know that I do anything I would call "reaching". Every draft, I have a list. Every pick, I take the highest guy on my list. Maybe some slight bias toward positional needs or weaknesses, but not much.

I will get back to you in August when we have our draft ... But actually, I don't know that I do anything I would call "reaching". Every draft, I have a list. Every pick, I take the highest guy on my list. Maybe some slight bias toward positional needs or weaknesses, but not much.
Agreed. How could I possibly “reach” when I’m taking one of the next guy in my rankings. Of course, my rankings are likely a little different (and just as reliable ;) ) as your rankings.

Whenever I do my redraft draft in my long time league, I usually come out if it ecstatic that I got so many of my guys at good spots in the draft. Of course, once the season progresses and I see how wrong some of the rankings were, it turns into a crappy draft full of reaches, only in hindsight :)

Agreed. How could I possibly “reach” when I’m taking one of the next guy in my rankings. Of course, my rankings are likely a little different (and just as reliable ;) ) as your rankings.

Whenever I do my redraft draft in my long time league, I usually come out if it ecstatic that I got so many of my guys at good spots in the draft. Of course, once the season progresses and I see how wrong some of the rankings were, it turns into a crappy draft full of reaches, only in hindsight :)
Ha!

Yeah, that happens to me a lot.

Late to this thread, but in 12 team SF, I've been targeting Rattler in the late 3rd / early 4th. 3.04 in a 16 team league is on par. FYI, I'm higher on Rattler than most. I think he's the 4th best QB on the board and has a better path to start in the next 2 years than many of the higher drafted QBs.

In one of my rebuilds, I reached for Milton and Pratt at 6.03 and 6.06 respectively. 12 team SF. They both likely would have been FA QBs.

Late to this thread, but in 12 team SF, I've been targeting Rattler in the late 3rd / early 4th. 3.04 in a 16 team league is on par. FYI, I'm higher on Rattler than most. I think he's the 4th best QB on the board and has a better path to start in the next 2 years than many of the higher drafted QBs.

In one of my rebuilds, I reached for Milton and Pratt at 6.03 and 6.06 respectively. 12 team SF. They both likely would have been FA QBs.
I took Rattler 3.09 in my SF. I had planned to all along but traded away Carr, and kept the plan.

Users who are viewing this thread