What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is something about life in 2024 that would completely astonish someone living in 1974? (1 Viewer)

As someone born in 1974...

My lifetime has seen computers start big, get smaller, then become laptops/tablets and merge with phones.
Phones moved off the wall, got cordless, got smaller, fit in your pocket, then started to get bigger.

Do newspapers still exist?

Sports teams sell for Billions of dollars.

Today's commercials: The amount of alcohol and drugs advertised openly and constantly.
There were a ton of beer commercials back then.

In the U.S. - how casual people dress for just about all occasions, and how manners have deteriorated.
Watching old movies and newsreels I'm always amazed at how well dressed people were back then. Even the tattered hobos were wearing suits.
Yep. Until the very end of their lives, unless they were on summer vacation, both of my grandfathers never left the house without wearing a jacket and tie.

Bruce Jenner

We haven't been back to the moon

The Soviet Union is gone

We're kind of friends with Vietnam
Our greatest economic rival is ... China.

Most of Europe has partnered in a common bureaucracy, and many of them are sharing a currency.

The world's tallest building is in Dubai.

The least surprising thing to people from 1974 would be that we have not resolved the Middle East conflict(s).

What do you predict will be happening in 2074 that will our minds? Jetson’s air travel cars? Space travel?
I think it will be how immersed we are in our digital lives. You'll wake up, put something over your eyes and be in a completely different world. You'll call you're buddies and ask them if they want to watch the Knicks game later. Then when the game starts, you and your friends will feel like you are sitting next to each other courtside watching the Knicks play the Celtics. You'll turn and talk to your friend about the last dunk as if you're actually sitting next to him in the Garden. When the game is over you'll remove you eye computer and make love to your 4 sex robots who are indistinguishable from real people. When you finish inside one of the robots they will test your sperm for any health problems so it will be like sex and a doctor visit all in one.
Willie Nelson is still alive

What do you predict will be happening in 2074 that will our minds? Jetson’s air travel cars? Space travel?
I think it will be how immersed we are in our digital lives. You'll wake up, put something over your eyes and be in a completely different world. You'll call you're buddies and ask them if they want to watch the Knicks game later. Then when the game starts, you and your friends will feel like you are sitting next to each other courtside watching the Knicks play the Celtics. You'll turn and talk to your friend about the last dunk as if you're actually sitting next to him in the Garden. When the game is over you'll remove you eye computer and make love to your 4 sex robots who are indistinguishable from real people. When you finish inside one of the robots they will test your sperm for any health problems so it will be like sex and a doctor visit all in one.

I’m reminded of the old joke about not being able to satisfy one woman. Hopefully the robots don’t have the ability to be disappointed.
Maybe not disappointed, but they will still laugh when you remove your clothes.

In the U.S. - how casual people dress for just about all occasions, and how manners have deteriorated.
Watching old movies and newsreels I'm always amazed at how well dressed people were back then. Even the tattered hobos were wearing suits.
Yep. Until the very end of their lives, unless they were on summer vacation, both of my grandfathers never left the house without wearing a jacket and tie.
I am so glad this isn't the norm anymore. Suits and ties are terribly uncomfortable.

I am so glad this isn't the norm anymore. Suits and ties are terribly uncomfortable.
It’s gone the opposite extreme. Most Americans dress like slobs from what I’ve seen.

Haven't read the thread so this may have been covered, but since Bowers v. Hardwick, Lawrence v. Texas, and Obergefell v. Hodges hadn't happened yet, lawful gay marriage would probably come as a shock to somebody from 1974.

Last edited:
Oh, I'd also add that we have definitively concluded that we do NOT "avoid things like the plague." Since, you know, we didn't really avoid the plague.

I remember as a kid my grandmother going to the market wearing her Sunday best. Her hair was done perfectly and she covered in perfume. Took her an hour to get ready so she could look her best while picking up some milk. When she walked in to the market the manager would always greet her by name, "Good afternoon Mrs Neslon." She also had a fine purse hanging from her shoulder filled with tissues and wads of cash.

Dawson: I need another drink.
Brett Somers, too.
We could tell Brett that this answer would end her career in 2024. (nsfw)
Interesting that her best buddy Charles Nelson Reilly, who was gay, was not on that episode.
And that her husband on the right of her was, with virtually no reaction to her answer.
I had no idea they were married. But I suppose nothing she said surprised him by that point.

To be fair, I used that word all the time up through high school, as did almost all of my peers. It wasn't until I got to college in the late '80s/early '90s that I realized I shouldn't be doing that.

Dawson: I need another drink.
Brett Somers, too.
We could tell Brett that this answer would end her career in 2024. (nsfw)
Interesting that her best buddy Charles Nelson Reilly, who was gay, was not on that episode.
And that her husband on the right of her was, with virtually no reaction to her answer.
I had no idea they were married. But I suppose nothing she said surprised him by that point.

To be fair, I used that word all the time up through high school, as did almost all of my peers. It wasn't until I got to college in the late '80s/early '90s that I realized I shouldn't be doing that.
They ended up separating (and later divorcing) soon after she started on the show., The only reason she got on in the first place was because Klugman had been booked as one of the first panelists. He went to the producer and begged him to put his wife on the show because she was driving him crazy at home. She turned out to be a perfect fit and a one week gig turned into 8 years for her.

Feel free to ask me any other Match Game related questions.

The food, coffee and even water culture. So many options and so much diversity. Toddlers eating sushi, people buy bottles of water and paying $8.00 for coffee, Thai restaurants in every town.

Match Game guest stars from the 70's who are still alive include Gary Burghoff, Elaine Joyce, Fannie Flagg, Joyce Bulifant, Jo Anne Worley and others.
In 2024 pretty much nobody knows wtf the "Match Game" is and who any of those people are that you just named.

Feel free to ask me any other Match Game related questions.
Why didn’t Peter Marshall keep his given surname of LaCock, like his MLB son Pete did? The jokes would have written themselves on that show.
Ralph Pierre LaCock aka Peter Marshall was given his stage name by his manager at the time. Ralph had signed with a modeling agency with the intent of breaking into show business. The manager and LaCock both knew he needed a good stage name if he was to succeed in the business. Marshall is still alive fyi. 98 years young.

Match Game guest stars from the 70's who are still alive include Gary Burghoff, Elaine Joyce, Fannie Flagg, Joyce Bulifant, Jo Anne Worley and others.
In 2024 pretty much nobody knows wtf the "Match Game" is and who any of those people are that you just named.
Oh come on. Everybody knows Match Game. Those old shows are still funny. They hold up nicely. Gene Rayburn may have been the greatest game show host ever as he was the most authentic. What you saw with Gene was what you got. Gene spent the last 20ish years of his life pissed off about the show's cancellation and his sadness over losing the show basically killed him said his daughter who he lived with somewhere in the northeast towards the end of his life.

Oh come on. Everybody knows Match Game. Those old shows are still funny. They hold up nicely. Gene Rayburn may have been the greatest game show host ever as he was the most authentic. What you saw with Gene was what you got. Gene spent the last 20ish years of his life pissed off about the show's cancellation and his sadness over losing the show basically killed him said his daughter who he lived with somewhere in the northeast towards the end of his life.
I was born in 1983 and have only but a very vague recollection of this show. I genuinely don't know who those people are that you named and I think I recognized "Mama Cass" only because my mom used to listen to the song about her choking on a chicken bone or some such.

I was born in 1983 and have only but a very vague recollection of this show. I genuinely don't know who those people are that you named and I think I recognized "Mama Cass" only because my mom used to listen to the song about her choking on a chicken bone or some such.
Gary Burghoff - Radar from MASH
Elaine Joyce - Bubbly blonde who was married to fellow panelist Bobby Van who died young of a brain tumor. Ended up married to Neil Simon for the last 20ish years of his life.
Fannie Flagg - Busty ginger who wrote Fried Green Tomatoes
Joyce Bulifant - She is in Airplane!
Jo Anne Worley - Laugh in guest star, 70's specific personality

Born in 82 and I have no idea who any of them are. I know what the show is vaguely. I do know Mama Cass though- I mean come on, The Mamas and the Papas were great.

If you were born in the 80's then yeah, Match Game was before your time but it's still a good watch. You can watch 9 hour blocks of it on Youtube. They're pretty buzzed for a lot of the shows. Mid-life Betty White was a minx.

Match Game? I was born in ‘73. Barely know it or the guests. Nobody born in the past forty years knows it, dude.

I remember as a kid my grandmother going to the market wearing her Sunday best. Her hair was done perfectly and she covered in perfume. Took her an hour to get ready so she could look her best while picking up some milk. When she walked in to the market the manager would always greet her by name, "Good afternoon Mrs Neslon." She also had a fine purse hanging from her shoulder filled with tissues and wads of cash.

Did she have candy? Grandmas always have candy in their purses.

She was not a candy grandma.

She was not a candy grandma.
OK. I'm still digging that picture you're painting of her.

Gary Burghoff - Radar from MASH
Elaine Joyce - Bubbly blonde who was married to fellow panelist Bobby Van who died young of a brain tumor. Ended up married to Neil Simon for the last 20ish years of his life.
Fannie Flagg - Busty ginger who wrote Fried Green Tomatoes
Joyce Bulifant - She is in Airplane!
Jo Anne Worley - Laugh in guest star, 70's specific personality
Here is an episode from 50 years ago next month with Fannie wearing the fried eggs sweater.

Users who are viewing this thread