What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What is Alex Smith worth in trade? (Dynasty, Superflex, PPR) (1 Viewer)

bfan85

Footballguy
12 team superflex dynasty PPR league. Start: 1-2 QB, 2-3 RB, 3-4 WR, 1-2 TE, 1-2 PK, 1-2 DST

This league really values QBs highly because of the super flex. I'm completely out of it (1-8) and looking to rebuild. I posted on the league message board that Smith was available. The team in 1st place is the only one to respond, and he's offering a 2nd round pick for Smith. It's going to be a late 2nd. If this was last year, I would have jumped all over it, but the way Smith is playing, I feel like he's worth more than that to someone trying to win it all this year. He instantly improves the flex position of any team who gets him as he's one of the top scorers in the league this year.

Thoughts?

Note: he initially send me an offer of a late 3rd. I declined and countered with his 3rd plus Will Fuller. He declined and re-countered with a 2nd.

Smith is very tough to value in dynasty.  You have no idea where he will be next year so giving up future assets for him is going to hinge on how important he is for the acquiring team this year.  You have to look at him like a rental for the rest of this year only. 

He may have more value to you but if you aren't going to keep him then getting a 2nd round pick seems like something for an asset you aren't going to use past this year.  You could also wait a week or two and see if the 1st place team is starting to make some moves and he might be willing to give up a bit more.  I think your idea of a 2nd or 3rd round pick and a high upside/yet volatile player like Fuller is a nice approach.  Maybe you just need to hit on a player that fits that mold that the other team doesn't hold in as high of a place.

Thanks...that's pretty much my feeling, but as you said, it's really hard to judge. I'll see if there's another counter I can come up with. I'm pretty confident that if Smith keeps playing well the rest of this year, it'll all but guarantee the championship (which is worth a pretty decent amount)...

Users who are viewing this thread