What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What are you eating for Christmas? (1 Viewer)

Years ago, they opened a Kum and Go by us. One Christmas night my family (after a long day of eating huge meals at two different houses) was looking for a quick something to eat. Of course, every restaurant was closed, but the kids were like, "Let's try pizza as the new Kum and Go!!" They make it on site and it was surprisingly good. So we made a tradition of almost every year getting pizza from there at some point around Christmas and tonight is that night.

Our 23 year old is coming in town and wants me to make breakfast pizza Christmas morning. Back to back pizza meals is a little :sick:, but alcohol makes everything tolerable. I am going to be a lazy SOB and go to Papa Murphy's today and buy a family sized crust to save time. For dinner she has requested taco salads.

It is going to be a stress free weekend (cooking-wise) for me for sure.

Immediate family we will have our traditional roast duck with orange sauce and oyster soup Christmas Eve. (Extended family Christmas Day -if we can get dug out here in Minnesota ,expecting 5-6 more inches tomorrow) Turkey, stuffing and cheesy potatoes

Basically got an extra holiday meal because of the weekend...so,

Friday night ham with my wife's amazing breaded roasted potatoes including all the usual other things;

Last night, filet mignon with butter mashed potatoes.

Tonight, there's been a sauce cooking since yesterday for the scratch meatballs and scratch manicotti. She will start making the crepes in about 2 hours. It's like watching heaven.

Continued our Xmas Eve tradition of serving king crab legs. Have tried several sources and 10# Costco box is still the best tasting. Also baked potato, pop-overs and a nice Italian salad. This year served a Chardonnay (Durrell vineyard) Three Sticks winery in Sonoma.

We usually have 12-15 over for Christmas eve and always do all the cooking. Kitchen trashed after meal.

This year we did Middle East catering. For 160.00 we had 5 different meats, rice, grilled veggies, hummus, fattoush, pita bread, all kinds of side sauces and baklava. I picked it up all in huge tin trays. Layed it out and it was self serve. My wife bought some fancy paper plates and bowls that looked real.

Everybody loved it. There was so much food we have enough for another meal for 4-5 people. When dinner was over instead of the kitchen being a disaster I took a huge garbage bag and dumped all the plates and bowls in took it to the trash, sealed up the tins with leftover and put in the fridge in garage and party was on!

For a small group I would always cook, for a large group we will never cook again. The food shopping, the 4-5 hours prep and cleanup time saved made our night so much more relaxing and so much more fun. To be honest I think we actually spent almost as much making it ourselves as well.

Last edited:
Continued our Xmas Eve tradition of serving king crab legs. Have tried several sources and 10# Costco box is still the best tasting. Also baked potato, pop-overs and a nice Italian salad. This year served a Chardonnay (Durrell vineyard) Three Sticks winery in Sonoma.
That’s a pricey dinner this year. Cost of crab legs are through the roof. At least here

That’s a pricey dinner this year. Cost of crab legs are through the roof. At least here

$397 for the 10 lb. box at Costco.

I’ll be in Mexico with two vegans, one with a soy allergy. And a two-year old. Should be interesting.
We ate vegetarian burritos with rice, guac, refried beans (I’m sure some animal lard snuck in here) and tomatoes. Pretty darn good, and I wasn’t overstuffed like typical holiday meals.

It was $515 last year.

We paid $375 in Austin this year.

Everyone requested a lighter meal after last year's prime rib so I ordered a box of fresh halibut from Alaska. Now just need you bastards to give me a good recipe/prep so I'm good to go. Anyone?

Making an orzo salad and asparagus to go with
I'd skin it, season with s&p and pan sear in olive oil & butter. Let it get a nice brown crust, flip, and cook for a few minutes. If it's not very thick, it's done. If it's thick, finish in oven.

If you want a sauce I'd go with a simple lemon butter underneath and sprinkle chopped parsley on top.

Here's a simple recipe:

15 total for Christmas

Apps throughout the day

Dinner:
Racks of pork chops on the bone (think prime rib only pork)
Garlic mashed potatoes with grated parm
Whatever side my brother brings
Salad
Rolls

Everyone requested a lighter meal after last year's prime rib so I ordered a box of fresh halibut from Alaska. Now just need you bastards to give me a good recipe/prep so I'm good to go. Anyone?

Making an orzo salad and asparagus to go with
I'd skin it, season with s&p and pan sear in olive oil & butter. Let it get a nice brown crust, flip, and cook for a few minutes. If it's not very thick, it's done. If it's thick, finish in oven.

If you want a sauce I'd go with a simple lemon butter underneath and sprinkle chopped parsley on top.

Here's a simple recipe:

I love the searing idea but I've got 15 fillets. That sauce looks perfect!

Spanish was decided as the theme for our family dinner. Several years ago we got bored with the same old so we took to choose a new cultural cuisine each year and everyone taking their best stab at it. Results have been mixed. That’s Xmas Eve.

For my wife and I on Xmas, we got our new tradition of lobster Mac.

I love the searing idea but I've got 15 fillets. That sauce looks perfect!

Fifteen makes things more difficult if you need them all done at the same time. Baking is probably the easiest way to prepare them in quantity. Need a very hot oven but don't overcook. Finish with a simple pan sauce with herbs.

Halibut is a firm fish so it's easy to grill if you have a big enough surface to cook the fillets in two batches.

My daughter asked for Beef Bourguignon for some reason so that's the tentative plan for Monday.

We got a free turkey from my mother-in-law's church but don't have the freezer room to hold it until Xmas. Since I'm playing with house money, I'm trying an adobo dry brine and will roast it tomorrow for the solstice.

We paid $375 in Austin this year.

King Crab tougher to find this year. Costco doesn't have the 10# boxes this year. Alaska has been cutting off the crab season due to low populations but it looks like they are improving for next year's season. However, Costco has Golden King Crab in 7# boxes (you probably have to ask someone in the meat/fish dept to pull them out of their coolers).They also sell them fresh in 2# packages. We tried them last week and while not quite as sweet as the Red King Crab they are still very good. They are slightly smaller and more thorny.
Chardonnay this year is from Martinelli. Charles Ranch 2020 is excellent. Pinot Noir is from Occidental Wines who always has excellent wines.

Last edited:
Prime Rib is has been aging in the fridge for Saturday. It was a hit last year so I will be using @TheFanatic prime rib again this year. Wife will be making cheesy hashbrowns which is a family get together staple. Not sure what else yet, but I am sure she will have plenty of goodees for the family.

Christmas day it will just be the wife, myself and the one child left at home, so I think we are going to either do leftovers if there are any or I will throw a ham on that she got for Christmas from her work.

Seafood enchiladas and corn cake on Christmas Eve. (worked at Chi-Chi's way back when) https://i.pinimg.com/originals/2b/95/cf/2b95cff745f0459b4b4eb442b4202e48.jpg

French toast casserole Christmas morning with Christmas Morning. https://icdn.bottlenose.wine/images/full/659063.jpg

Snacking throughout the day as we go visit a few relatives.
Chi Chi's in Minneapolis? Was a favorite of ours.
That's the one, southeast VA though. They started in MN (Marno McDermitt (his wife was Chi Chi) and Max McGee) but we were the first "franchise" store after the headquarters move to KY (some ex KFC exec).

Christmas Eve, I cook, and it's always feast of the seven fishes. Takes me a long *** time, but it's my favorite meal of the year and tbh, I'm the best in the family in preparing this dish.
Christmas is all about relaxing so we usually have a late breakfast after opening presents and then relax during the day. So, we try to make dinner as good but easy as possible. We're going to our go to this year which will be shrimp dressing turducken

My wife attempted to make one of these about 10-15 years ago and although it came out very good, it took her probably a good 4-5 hours to debone, wrap, prep and bake this thing, so now we let the pro's do it and Heberts is highly recommend by us.

Recommendations for prepping/cooking a 7lb beef tenderloin? No fancy tools (sous vide, smoker, etc.), just oven or grill.

Users who are viewing this thread