What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What About Pop Culture Have You Just Stopped Paying Attention To? Or If Not Pop Culture, What Have You Ditched? (1 Viewer)

Shaving is now an every-other-day thing unless I’m on a business trip. I no longer wear formal clothes unless I’m on a business trip or at a wedding or funeral.

If I ever go back to an office (and I will need to at some point), the adjustment will be sooooo hard. I’m really over all of what you describe.

Eta* old guy dressing!

God so many resonate but network and cable television are probably the biggest. I'm not sure whether it's the programming or the commercials that really does it. Probably the commercials as I'll watch some reality drek from time to time and still like sports highlights and analysis. I just don't want to commit the 4 hours of being bombarded with ads.

If I were to list my four biggest pop culture interests as of today, my answer would be the same as it's been for roughly the last twenty years:

The Beatles
Seinfeld
Survivor
80s music.

And I'm a junior high teacher with 5 kids between the ages of 16-21.

You do the math.

If I were to list my four biggest pop culture interests as of today, my answer would be the same as it's been for roughly the last twenty years:

The Beatles
Seinfeld
Survivor
80s music.

You do the math.
Math

The Sharkpool. Not sure I've spent more than a few mins in there total over the last few years.

I used to watch a lot more sports then I do now. Don't watch the NBA, don't set aside a Sunday for the NFL like I did but will put a game on if there is nothing better on and I am home. European Football is all I make a point to watch.

Don't know who is cool in music outside Swift and Rodrigo (thanks to my 15 year old), still listening to my 80s alternative and 90s grunge/rock.

GET OFF MY LAWN (if I had one)!

Being a sports spectator has pretty much passed me by. I just never think to put a game on anymore. My wife watches the Red Sox religiously, but I'm not a fan, so I don't really pay attention to that. I end up reading about game results rather than watching the game itself. After so many years, it feels like I've seen it all before, slight variations but the overall patterns are the same - it's not compelling except maybe a playoff game here or there.

Pop culture, hmm.... I don't know if shows like Survivor and Amazing Race count, but I used to watch them religiously but now I just find myself bored; seen it all before. It's not that I won't watch reality TV, as I still enjoy American Idol :bag: ... but I'm a big music junkie and like a lot of different genres so I still do watch AI for the couple/few months it's on every year.

As others have stated: awards shows. Don't really give two flying effs. Grammys, Oscars, blah blah blah. Just a bunch of spoiled brats.

Social media other than this board and Facebook... Twitter is a wasteland now. Too old for TikTok, although I do have an account just to appease my 13-year-old daughter by "liking" her posts.

Only "modern" music I listen to is country. Something about it just makes me feel at ease. I'm not in my car much, but when I am... I listen to either country or sports talk radio (SiriusXM - NFL Radio or Fantasy Sports Radio).

I'm sure there's plenty more things I've given up on... just can't think of 'em. It's probably easier to list the things I DO DO in my life: play poker once a month, go to breweries with buddies, watch Impractical Jokers while sucking down some cocktails at home, watch the NFL, college football/basketball, and sleep. Oh, and go to work and do stuff with my kids.

The Beatles
Seinfeld
Survivor
80s music.

You do the math.
Username checks out

You do the math.
That's some very efficient spacing. I know it took a while, but you should now be able to field a starting five.

You do the math.
That's some very efficient spacing. I know it took a while, but you should now be able to field a starting five.
Or interpreted a different way, the school system has really failed those five kids.

The Beatles
Seinfeld
Survivor
80s music.

You do the math.
Math
For the record, two of my kids are siblings we adopted who are the same age as two of our biological kids. My bigger point is I'm around teenagers who are supposed to be up to date on the latest things, and yet I like the same things as I did in 2002.

You do the math.

You do the math.
Or interpreted a different way, the school system has really failed those five kids.

The Beatles
Seinfeld
Survivor
80s music.

You do the math.
Math
For the record, two of my kids are siblings we adopted who are the same age as two of our biological kids. My bigger point is I'm around teenagers who are supposed to be up to date on the latest things, and yet I like the same things as I did in 2002.
Same for me. My kids listen to mostly pop/hip hop, etc........my metal tendencies are not rubbing off on them, and vice versa. Also, I still watch Seinfeld and it's as relevant now, as ever. Almost daily I relate something in my life to a Seinfeld bit. Yesterday was doing the opposite of what you would normally do like George....

There are things I never paid attention to in the first place, but things I've dropped:
  • College sports. It just doesn't make any sense that our minor pro teams have college names.
  • Pro sports on TV other than football. I was a walking pro hockey reference page in college, I wrote for and sold a soccer website, but I don't watch either. Hockey has gotten 100x better than the early 90s - when I do watch it, it's really good... but it's just faded away for me. I did make a point this year of going to live local games, seeing the minor league hockey and baseball teams, volleyball team, and an indoor soccer team so low that I read they don't even pay the players. I also drop everything to watch major national team soccer (and hockey if they ever get their poo together and play another tournament).
  • Twitter. I was there regularly for a while, never really posted... but since 2015 it's been increasingly crapified.
  • Books. I listen to a lot of audiobooks, but I've had two paperbacks collecting dust on my nightstand for more than a year now. I've cut down on genres, too - pretty much just nonfiction and fantasy now.
  • Music, just recently. I dipped back in from 2010-2022, mostly building playlists for extended family summers, but the kids aged out and I just listen to audiobooks and podcasts now.

Users who are viewing this thread