What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Week 4 Waiver Wire Picks (1 Viewer)

Think a big one that is missing is Lance Ball. If Mcgahee's injury is hampering, Ball has that job.
No. Hillman. Besides Ball looking like the undrafted, pedestrian backup that he is, they didn't go out and grab Hillman early in the 3rd to sit behind Lance Ball. He just had a setback and has #### to catch up on; and a lot to learn still. But that's the only reason he's even behind Ball. That won't last. If he gets trusted that he won't get Manning creamed, he's the guy. He's in a great system for his type of game too, he can catch and in open field he's got jets (2nd fastest RB in the draft). It may take awhile but so be it, I can wait. And Lance Ball isn't gonna blow up and win leagues anyway; Hillman could. It's a bit of a stretch but the cupboards are bare and I would rather go for a lottery ticket.Did you watch any of Hillman at SDSU? He was ridiculous.

D/ST, who do you guys like?

Away games:

Buccaneers at WSH

Chargers at KC

Bengals at JAC

Giants at PHI

Home games:

Broncos vs Oak

Cowboys vs Chi

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Ryan Williams is the pickup of the week, at least at RB. It is hard to get too excited about a Cardinals RB but it does appear he will get a shot at a Feature role now and that in itself makes him valuable in the NFL right now. The early indication is Wells will miss some time and the Cardinals really have been trying to give Williams the job right from the start of the season but he just struggled too much out the gate to overtake Wells but his better performance in week 3 coupled with Wells injury changes that now. it also appears Williams will be thrown the ball a few times a game as well which could help a bit and Williams could even play all 3 downs. As a committee the Cardinals situation was one to avoid but with a chance at a feature role Williams really has a chance to become fantasy relevant. The stat line put up by LaRod Stephens-Howling may be the worst I have ever seen by a RB( 8 carries for -14 yards) so he obviously isn't a big threat to steal too many carries.

Fitzgerald's presence will keep D's from overloading against the run and the Cardinals Defense obviously is good enough to keep them in a lot of games which means they won't have to abandon the run.

If Wells injury turns out to be really minor then it would hurt Williams but otherwise this could be Williams' big shot.

Elsewhere, there isn't much talk about McGahee's injury right now but he could miss some time. The problem in Denver is that they will likely go to a fullblown committee if McGahee does miss time. It sounds like Fred Jackson will be back this week and Spillers injury isn't that serious so I don't think Choice has any value. I think Powell has potential and will see more and more work but the Jets just can't run that well and Greene isn't likely to just go away completely so it stills looks like a bit of a committee but Powell would be my 2nd choice amongst the backs.

Think a big one that is missing is Lance Ball. If Mcgahee's injury is hampering, Ball has that job.
No. Hillman. Besides Ball looking like the undrafted, pedestrian backup that he is, they didn't go out and grab Hillman early in the 3rd to sit behind Lance Ball. He just had a setback and has #### to catch up on; and a lot to learn still. But that's the only reason he's even behind Ball. That won't last. If he gets trusted that he won't get Manning creamed, he's the guy. He's in a great system for his type of game too, he can catch and in open field he's got jets (2nd fastest RB in the draft). It may take awhile but so be it, I can wait. And Lance Ball isn't gonna blow up and win leagues anyway; Hillman could. It's a bit of a stretch but the cupboards are bare and I would rather go for a lottery ticket.Did you watch any of Hillman at SDSU? He was ridiculous.
With McGahee out I don't like the situation much. Moreno will come back into the fold as well and could used a bit especially in passing situations. Looks like a 3 headed committee to me if Willis is out.

Hankerson was just announced a starter for the rest of the season even when Garcon returns.
Starting to doubt that will happen this year... I'm surprised speculations of a lisfranc injury haven't run rampant yet because so far that's exactly what it sounds like.ETA: Garcon's X position is much more valuable than the flanker Z position in Shanny's offense.

'gradin123 said:
I think Ryan Williams is the pickup of the week, at least at RB. It is hard to get too excited about a Cardinals RB but it does appear he will get a shot at a Feature role now and that in itself makes him valuable in the NFL right now. The early indication is Wells will miss some time and the Cardinals really have been trying to give Williams the job right from the start of the season but he just struggled too much out the gate to overtake Wells but his better performance in week 3 coupled with Wells injury changes that now. it also appears Williams will be thrown the ball a few times a game as well which could help a bit and Williams could even play all 3 downs. As a committee the Cardinals situation was one to avoid but with a chance at a feature role Williams really has a chance to become fantasy relevant. The stat line put up by LaRod Stephens-Howling may be the worst I have ever seen by a RB( 8 carries for -14 yards) so he obviously isn't a big threat to steal too many carries.

Fitzgerald's presence will keep D's from overloading against the run and the Cardinals Defense obviously is good enough to keep them in a lot of games which means they won't have to abandon the run.

If Wells injury turns out to be really minor then it would hurt Williams but otherwise this could be Williams' big shot.

Elsewhere, there isn't much talk about McGahee's injury right now but he could miss some time. The problem in Denver is that they will likely go to a fullblown committee if McGahee does miss time. It sounds like Fred Jackson will be back this week and Spillers injury isn't that serious so I don't think Choice has any value. I think Powell has potential and will see more and more work but the Jets just can't run that well and Greene isn't likely to just go away completely so it stills looks like a bit of a committee but Powell would be my 2nd choice amongst the backs.
That's a good write up with some nice points.Strength of Schedule

One thing to note about R. Williams is his upcoming schedule:

Mia (#3 run D), @StL (21), Buf (14), @Min (12), SF (8), @GB (26), bye, @Atl (24), StL (21), @NYJ (28), @Sea (2), Det (11), Chi (6), SF (8)

So I count 5 games vs. top 10 run D, 2 vs. top 5, and 4 against those ranked in the 20s.

Four of his next 5 games aren't very easy. His schedule in the last 4 games of the season (3 if you don't count Wk 17) aren't too favorable, either. However, Weeks 9, 11, 12 and 13 look great though to finish off the fantasy regular season.

AZ Rushing Proficiency

AZ is ranked 27th in rushing offense. They played Seattle (2 against the run), NE (7), and Philly (16).

Football outsiders ranks AZ's OL as 28th in run blocking. See http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Week 3 Production

I saw this in another forum -- most of Williams' points were in garbage time. Another thing to keep in mind.

Arizona Cardinals at 10:26

3rd and 17 at ARI 32 (Shotgun) R.Williams up the middle ran ob at PHI 43 for 25 yards (D.Ryans).

1st and 10 at PHI 43 R.Williams up the middle to PHI 44 for -1 yards (K.Coleman).

1st and 10 at PHI 29 (Shotgun) R.Williams up the middle to PHI 22 for 7 yards (D.Ryans).

2nd and 3 at PHI 22 (Shotgun) R.Williams left end to PHI 22 for no gain (P.Hunt).

3rd and 3 at PHI 22 R.Williams up the middle to PHI 11 for 11 yards (K.Coleman).

Arizona Cardinals at 3:05

1st and 10 at PHI 36 R.Williams up the middle to PHI 16 for 20 yards (B.Rolle). ARZ-R.Williams was injured during the play. His return is Questionable.

He had a 25 yard draw on a 3rd and 17 and then 38 more yards in garbage time, that is 63 of his 83 yards.

One more note: Williams was in on 35% of Arizona's week 3 snaps; Beanie was in on 23%, and Stephens-Howling 34%. Source: http://rosterwatch.com/?p=5178

Jerome Simpson if he is available, obviously Leshoure although doubtful, Lamar Miller, Hankerson or Ramses Barden if you're desperate at WR and want some upside, Ponder.

Also, Ryan Williams if he had been dropped.

Christian Ponder - This kid has great poise and is a very accurate passer. He's already put up some solid numbers and I see now reason to expect him to regress. He has a legit top WR in Harvin, a solid RB to keep the defense honest, a nice redzone weapon in Rudolph. With Simpson returning this wek as an upgrade over Jenkins, I think Ponder is a must add if he's still available. He could finish as a top 15 QB.

Andy Dalton - If you need QB help and are looking for some help over the next few weeks, Dalton is your man. He has a decent schedule and suddenly quite a few weapons at WR.

Jerome Simpson - The talent has always been there and Ponder looks legit. Simpson could end up being a WR3 if he gets enough targets. If Michael Jenkins got 5-6 targets per game, I think it's safe to say that Simpson could be in line for 6-8 per game.

Leonard Hankerson - Named the starter by Shanny, he has to be worth an add with RG3 throwing him the ball. He exploded last year week 10 vs. Miami when he racked up 8 catches for over 100 yards. He's more than just a deep threat and could be worth starting this week if Garcon is out.

Julian Edelman - Before he left the game, he was getting the looks and putting up some solid numbers. Any WR that gets a decent amount of snaps and targets with Tom Brady throwing the ball is worth a roster spot. He could be PPR gold while Hernandez is out.

Ronnie Hillman - I really like his skill set and with McGahee's injury history you never know when he might go down. I expect Hillman to get more touches as the season goes on and take over the 3rd down back and change of pace role. Could become a nice depth RB in PPR leagues.

Armon Binns - The Bengals have a nice schedule coming up over the next 3 or so weeks and it looks like Binns has taken over the WR2 role in Cincy. While everyone gushes over Hawkins, I'm targeting Binns who has seen playing time recently than any other Bengal WR not named Green.

Christian Ponder - This kid has great poise and is a very accurate passer. He's already put up some solid numbers and I see now reason to expect him to regress. He has a legit top WR in Harvin, a solid RB to keep the defense honest, a nice redzone weapon in Rudolph. With Simpson returning this wek as an upgrade over Jenkins, I think Ponder is a must add if he's still available. He could finish as a top 15 QB.

Andy Dalton - If you need QB help and are looking for some help over the next few weeks, Dalton is your man. He has a decent schedule and suddenly quite a few weapons at WR.

Jerome Simpson - The talent has always been there and Ponder looks legit. Simpson could end up being a WR3 if he gets enough targets. If Michael Jenkins got 5-6 targets per game, I think it's safe to say that Simpson could be in line for 6-8 per game.

Leonard Hankerson - Named the starter by Shanny, he has to be worth an add with RG3 throwing him the ball. He exploded last year week 10 vs. Miami when he racked up 8 catches for over 100 yards. He's more than just a deep threat and could be worth starting this week if Garcon is out.

Julian Edelman - Before he left the game, he was getting the looks and putting up some solid numbers. Any WR that gets a decent amount of snaps and targets with Tom Brady throwing the ball is worth a roster spot. He could be PPR gold while Hernandez is out.

Ronnie Hillman - I really like his skill set and with McGahee's injury history you never know when he might go down. I expect Hillman to get more touches as the season goes on and take over the 3rd down back and change of pace role. Could become a nice depth RB in PPR leagues.

Armon Binns - The Bengals have a nice schedule coming up over the next 3 or so weeks and it looks like Binns has taken over the WR2 role in Cincy. While everyone gushes over Hawkins, I'm targeting Binns who has seen more targets and more playing time.
I wouldn't overstate Binns' target totals over those of Hawkins.Binns' target lines have been 5, 5, and 3 for 4-28-0, 5-66-0, and 3-63-1, respectively.

Hawkins' 9, 3, and 4. Stat lines 8-86-0, 2-56-1, and 2-66-1.

However, you're right that Binns has seen more PT, at least in Week 3.

In week 3, Binns was in on 83% of snaps to Hawkins' 50%. Snap Counts Source: http://rosterwatch.com/?p=5196

Armon Binns - The Bengals have a nice schedule coming up over the next 3 or so weeks and it looks like Binns has taken over the WR2 role in Cincy. While everyone gushes over Hawkins, I'm targeting Binns who has seen more targets and more playing time.
I wouldn't overstate Binns' target totals over those of Hawkins.Binns' target lines have been 5, 5, and 3 for 4-28-0, 5-66-0, and 3-63-1, respectively.

Hawkins' 9, 3, and 4. Stat lines 8-86-0, 2-56-1, and 2-66-1.

However, you're right that Binns has seen more PT, at least in Week 3.

In week 3, Binns was in on 83% of snaps to Hawkins' 50%. Snap Counts Source: http://rosterwatch.com/?p=5196
Thanks for pointing that out. I should have looked into it more, I must have misread an article I was reading today on last week's targets. I still believe that Binns is the better pickup though.

Williams bought for $42 by an owner who has Gore, Ridley, Forte and Steven Jackson.

10-team dynasty league

$100 FAAB

I feel like such a dope for dropping Williams on this past weekend for Mendenhall.

I added Bilal Powell for $11.

'gradin123 said:
With McGahee out I don't like the situation much. Moreno will come back into the fold as well and could used a bit especially in passing situations. Looks like a 3 headed committee to me if Willis is out.
Just don't see a team moving up 20 draft spots to draft a running back to split time with waiver wire fodder Lance Ball and bust Moreno. It is Hillman time and soon.

'gradin123 said:
Just don't see a team moving up 20 draft spots to draft a running back to split time with waiver wire fodder Lance Ball and bust Moreno. It is Hillman time and soon.
I am hoping for Hillman time ...just traded Sanchez for him in dynasty

where'd carolina take deangelo williams?

This is great stuff; thanks!

That's a good write up with some nice points.Strength of Schedule

One thing to note about R. Williams is his upcoming schedule:

Mia (#3 run D), @StL (21), Buf (14), @Min (12), SF (8), @GB (26), bye, @Atl (24), StL (21), @NYJ (28), @Sea (2), Det (11), Chi (6), SF (8)

So I count 5 games vs. top 10 run D, 2 vs. top 5, and 4 against those ranked in the 20s.

Four of his next 5 games aren't very easy. His schedule in the last 4 games of the season (3 if you don't count Wk 17) aren't too favorable, either. However, Weeks 9, 11, 12 and 13 look great though to finish off the fantasy regular season.

AZ Rushing Proficiency

AZ is ranked 27th in rushing offense. They played Seattle (2 against the run), NE (7), and Philly (16).

Football outsiders ranks AZ's OL as 28th in run blocking. See http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

Week 3 Production

I saw this in another forum -- most of Williams' points were in garbage time. Another thing to keep in mind.

Arizona Cardinals at 10:26

3rd and 17 at ARI 32 (Shotgun) R.Williams up the middle ran ob at PHI 43 for 25 yards (D.Ryans).

1st and 10 at PHI 43 R.Williams up the middle to PHI 44 for -1 yards (K.Coleman).

1st and 10 at PHI 29 (Shotgun) R.Williams up the middle to PHI 22 for 7 yards (D.Ryans).

2nd and 3 at PHI 22 (Shotgun) R.Williams left end to PHI 22 for no gain (P.Hunt).

3rd and 3 at PHI 22 R.Williams up the middle to PHI 11 for 11 yards (K.Coleman).

Arizona Cardinals at 3:05

1st and 10 at PHI 36 R.Williams up the middle to PHI 16 for 20 yards (B.Rolle). ARZ-R.Williams was injured during the play. His return is Questionable.

He had a 25 yard draw on a 3rd and 17 and then 38 more yards in garbage time, that is 63 of his 83 yards.

One more note: Williams was in on 35% of Arizona's week 3 snaps; Beanie was in on 23%, and Stephens-Howling 34%. Source: http://rosterwatch.com/?p=5178

10 team money league with restricted rosters. Until byes are over you can only carry 2QB,4RB,4WR,2TE,2PK,2DEF. May be weird to some but it leaves decent guys on the wire to be picked up if any of your players get sidelined. This week I dropped Alex Smith & got Andy Dalton to go along with Rodgers. Got Daniel Thomas for Reggie's backup shorterm. Picked up Denarius Moore and a pretty good TE so far this year in Heath Miller. I already had Pitta. So some may not like our rules but they afforded me the chance to get the players I did and I think I got some pretty good ones. After Byes you can carry as many players at the positions as you want as long as you don't exceed the 16 player roster.

Standard scoring with all TD's 6 pts. RB's & WR's get .5 per reception and TE's get 2 pts. per reception.

10 team money league with restricted rosters. Until byes are over you can only carry 2QB,4RB,4WR,2TE,2PK,2DEF. May be weird to some but it leaves decent guys on the wire to be picked up if any of your players get sidelined. This week I dropped Alex Smith & got Andy Dalton to go along with Rodgers. Got Daniel Thomas for Reggie's backup shorterm. Picked up Denarius Moore and a pretty good TE so far this year in Heath Miller. I already had Pitta. So some may not like our rules but they afforded me the chance to get the players I did and I think I got some pretty good ones. After Byes you can carry as many players at the positions as you want as long as you don't exceed the 16 player roster.Standard scoring with all TD's 6 pts. RB's & WR's get .5 per reception and TE's get 2 pts. per reception.
who cares??

Christian Ponder - This kid has great poise and is a very accurate passer. He's already put up some solid numbers and I see now reason to expect him to regress. He has a legit top WR in Harvin, a solid RB to keep the defense honest, a nice redzone weapon in Rudolph. With Simpson returning this wek as an upgrade over Jenkins, I think Ponder is a must add if he's still available. He could finish as a top 15 QB.Andy Dalton - If you need QB help and are looking for some help over the next few weeks, Dalton is your man. He has a decent schedule and suddenly quite a few weapons at WR. Jerome Simpson - The talent has always been there and Ponder looks legit. Simpson could end up being a WR3 if he gets enough targets. If Michael Jenkins got 5-6 targets per game, I think it's safe to say that Simpson could be in line for 6-8 per game. Leonard Hankerson - Named the starter by Shanny, he has to be worth an add with RG3 throwing him the ball. He exploded last year week 10 vs. Miami when he racked up 8 catches for over 100 yards. He's more than just a deep threat and could be worth starting this week if Garcon is out. Julian Edelman - Before he left the game, he was getting the looks and putting up some solid numbers. Any WR that gets a decent amount of snaps and targets with Tom Brady throwing the ball is worth a roster spot. He could be PPR gold while Hernandez is out. Ronnie Hillman - I really like his skill set and with McGahee's injury history you never know when he might go down. I expect Hillman to get more touches as the season goes on and take over the 3rd down back and change of pace role. Could become a nice depth RB in PPR leagues.Armon Binns - The Bengals have a nice schedule coming up over the next 3 or so weeks and it looks like Binns has taken over the WR2 role in Cincy. While everyone gushes over Hawkins, I'm targeting Binns who has seen playing time recently than any other Bengal WR not named Green.
I like Simposon and Hank out of this group. Also Edelman, but the hand is holding him up; progress delayed, so not adding until I see he's practicing.

Just a couple thoughts. :)

Some have suggested these waiver wire threads cater separately to small an large leagues.

But quite often a guy here or there slips through the cracks, or he gets dropped by a guy in

a bad position that needs a replacement but doesn't want to drop an injured or byweek starter.

So I wouldn't discredit pickups that maybe should have been picked up already if there obvious

guy's that if there you should try an get them. (so list all of the usual quality pickups/flyers)

It would also reinforce the person is still considered a quality pickup this week an beyond there.

(just going back to last weeks pickups may not have the same feeling this week with injuries/?)

Then the last one, I know a lot of us are "well versed" in the names and who these guys are, but

I think it would be helpful that if your not talking about those Adrian Peterson or Matt Stafford type

players to be a little more exact who your talking about, like so an so WR for Jacksonville, maybe

at least give there position and the team they play for.

Anyway was just thinking these things may be helpful for threads like these?

Williams bought for $42 by an owner who has Gore, Ridley, Forte and Steven Jackson.10-team dynasty league$100 FAABI feel like such a dope for dropping Williams on this past weekend for Mendenhall.I added Bilal Powell for $11.
Is that 42 of his 100? Wow. I bought him for 13.

Some people may have cut bait on Ryan Williams...
I know an idiot in my league that did, it was me.
I second that this guy is going to be the death of me in fantasy. Kept him over spiller before week one then finally dropped him and now wells has turf toe....ugh
Don't fret about it.The Cardinals have a lot of trouble running the ball. Williams played well last week, but this team will struggle to run all year. He would be nice to have on the bench as a backup, but I doubt he will be a weekly starter on most teams.

'SaintsInDome2006 said:

Armon Binns - The Bengals have a nice schedule coming up over the next 3 or so weeks and it looks like Binns has taken over the WR2 role in Cincy. While everyone gushes over Hawkins, I'm targeting Binns who has seen playing time recently than any other Bengal WR not named Green.
I like Simposon and Hank out of this group. Also Edelman, but the hand is holding him up; progress delayed, so not adding until I see he's practicing.
Doesn't look promising this week, but I think he's worth owning in PPR leagues while Hernandez is out. He did some damage in the first half before getting hurt.

Some people may have cut bait on Ryan Williams...
I know an idiot in my league that did, it was me.
I second that this guy is going to be the death of me in fantasy. Kept him over spiller before week one then finally dropped him and now wells has turf toe....ugh
Don't fret about it.The Cardinals have a lot of trouble running the ball. Williams played well last week, but this team will struggle to run all year. He would be nice to have on the bench as a backup, but I doubt he will be a weekly starter on most teams.
I just posted about AZ's running woes in the William Powell thread. I found a few stats that illustrate AZ's troubles; I also had cut Williams the week prior and the running game issues were something I included in my decision.

I had some room so picked up Powell and Grimes.Meh, what the hell..
Same here. I picked up Powell just as an injury precaution for Williams, but I'm extremely impressed with Grimes. He has a good burst, great vision and makes people miss. I could see him pushing for the Jets starting job at some point.

Last year at this time these are the guys everybody was talking abouthttp://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=614011&st=0&p=13587032&hl=waiver&fromsearch=1entry13587032
Best part about that post is I had forgotten McNabb actually played football last year.

'terpdgo said:
Williams bought for $42 by an owner who has Gore, Ridley, Forte and Steven Jackson.10-team dynasty league$100 FAABI feel like such a dope for dropping Williams on this past weekend for Mendenhall.I added Bilal Powell for $11.
Is that 42 of his 100? Wow. I bought him for 13.
Yes, that is correct. $42 of his $100, he already had four good RBs and we can only start 2 RBs each week.

Users who are viewing this thread