What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

"We Built This Playlist on Schlock n Roll" - 8th/9th round Thurs 10th round Fri (1 Viewer)

OP updated with draft sheet and playlists.

I went with separate LOVE/HATE playlists because (a) we have enough drafters to make a decent length list for each category and (b) some of the HATED songs would pollute a combined list.

OP updated with draft sheet and playlists.

I went with separate LOVE/HATE playlists because (a) we have enough drafters to make a decent length list for each category and (b) some of the HATED songs would pollute a combined list.
Are you OK with El Floppo and Gr00vus joining?

May I join? I have a lot of hate to give.

Probably maybe.

Will be out of town until next wed.

Well if skipping this early is how we roll that's fine.  I hope Uruk isn't too upset because I'm sure this would've been his pick.  It's really the ONLY pick you can make in this spot.

1.4 - Your Love - The Outfield (80s LOVE IT)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N1iwQxiHrs

The classic song about Josie's fateful vacation.  Despite generally being attracted to girls a little bit older, it's still very important that the protagonist "use" Josie's love tonight.  In fact, it's paramount that he doesn't lose her love tonight.  Tony Lewis's vocals soar on this tune.  And his showmanship is superb - he can even rock a bass without a head stock.  The driving rhythm guitar of John "The Virtuoso" Spinks shows that the band means business.  Alan "Jack of Hearts" Jackman holds it all together with perfect timing on the skins.  The band not only defined the sound but also the style of the era.  The mullet-earing combo is an immediate head turner.  Women wanted them.  Men wanted to be them.
Nice write up. LOL.

I remember in college, when that first line of Josie's on a vacation far away hit, the place always went wild. 

Well if skipping this early is how we roll that's fine.  I hope Uruk isn't too upset because I'm sure this would've been his pick.  It's really the ONLY pick you can make in this spot.

The classic song about Josie's fateful vacation.  Despite generally being attracted to girls a little bit older, it's still very important that the protagonist "use" Josie's love tonight.  In fact, it's paramount that he doesn't lose her love tonight.  Tony Lewis's vocals soar on this tune.  And his showmanship is superb - he can even rock a bass without a head stock.  The driving rhythm guitar of John "The Virtuoso" Spinks shows that the band means business.  Alan "Jack of Hearts" Jackman holds it all together with perfect timing on the skins.  The band not only defined the sound but also the style of the era.  The mullet-earing combo is an immediate head turner.  Women wanted them.  Men wanted to be them.
The lead singer looks like a tool.  I kind of want to smack him.

The Outfield seems like a fitting pick to put some chalk around schlock.  "Your Love" is kind of borderline schlock.  It's not self consciously schlocky like the first two picks but it still makes the cut.

It's a schlong draft not a novelty song draft.  Almost nobody would make an unironic case that The Outfield are or ever were cool.  They're kind of cheesey which is close enough to schlocky for the purposes of the thread.

But if you make a borderline pick, you better bring a few sentences to plead your case.

The Outfield seems like a fitting pick to put some chalk around schlock.  "Your Love" is kind of borderline schlock.  It's not self consciously schlocky like the first two picks but it still makes the cut.

It's a schlong draft not a novelty song draft.  Almost nobody would make an unironic case that The Outfield are or ever were cool.  They're kind of cheesey which is close enough to schlocky for the purposes of the thread.

But if you make a borderline pick, you better bring a few sentences to plead your case.
I thought the Outfield was a great pick for the spirit of schlock. If Bobby Pickett needs a few sentences about schlock? I can do that.  

1.5 Achy Breaky Heart - Billy Ray Cyrus (90's Hate it!)

The Achy Breaky Big Mistakey

I know we said schlock-n-roll but this one was sort of a cross-over.  So Scott Norwood brought up mullets and you can't think of mullets without thinking of king of the super mullet himself Billy Ray Cyrus.  I hate this song for the obvious reasons such as, it's horrible and this song probably had something to do with Billy's little hell spawn demon child but just as annoying was how often it was played.  I've heard this song enough for a few lifetimes and one was more than enough.  To top it off, it brought line dancing to the forefront, line dancing. . .like a slow, painful, death except worse. . .and embarrassing.  What else can be said about one of the all time schlock songs to ever hit the airwaves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Here is a line that I am having trouble with. Some songs that we see now as a 'novelty' song were released as real songs, just the songs themselves and the situations that they were played in or used for makes them novelty.

Also where does 'cheesey' fit into this?

Is it fair to say that any song that's cheesy can considered shlock?  I didn't think Your Love would be a controversial pick.

Is it fair to say that any song that's cheesy can considered shlock?  I didn't think Your Love would be a controversial pick.
It's not controversial at all.  It just happenened tobe the first opportunity to define boundaries wihout spotlighting.  

I don't think I ever threw out a pick in a music draft anyhoo. 

Here is a line that I am having trouble with. Some songs that we see now as a 'novelty' song were released as real songs, just the songs themselves and the situations that they were played in or used for makes them novelty.

Also where does 'cheesey' fit into this?
I feel like I might not be able to figure this draft out after all.  I'm not sure of schlocky v cheesy v novelty v just outright bad.  I need more guidance. :(

Also, didn't know it would be moving so quickly - please put me on perma-auto-skip.

I feel like I might not be able to figure this draft out after all.  I'm not sure of schlocky v cheesy v novelty v just outright bad.  I need more guidance. :(

Also, didn't know it would be moving so quickly - please put me on perma-auto-skip.
I think cheesy and schlocky is basically the same. Novelty is like The Monster Mash where it’s meant to be funny. That can often be schlock as well. 

I think cheesy and schlocky is basically the same. Novelty is like The Monster Mash where it’s meant to be funny. That can often be schlock as well. 
I'm having more trouble with the "hate" category.  Every schlong I hate I automatically think is schlock, because it sucks and I hate it.

I guess I'll just post my picks and let others argue against. :shrug:

By the way, I didn't look back to see, but was this posted in relation to Monster Mash (which was a brilliant pick)?  I watch it every so often so that I love life again.

1.3 "With Arms Wide Open" - Creed (2000s HATE)

If this doesn't fit the general theme of what we're doing here, I can re-pick. I have a feeling my definition of schlock may not be the same as others'.

To me, this is the worst kind of schlock (though I doubt the 80 million people who bought the record would agree) - a record that's so serious it becomes a parody of itself. It's not goofy or fun or catchy; yet it doesn't make any kind of coherent statement either. It's just big, stupid, and dumb. This is one of the few songs that make me angry when I hear it. I almost threw up just linking the video. Records like this are why there are so many hip-hop and country radio stations.

If this doesn't fit the general theme of what we're doing here, I can re-pick. I have a feeling my definition of schlock may not be the same as others'.

To me, this is the worst kind of schlock (though I doubt the 80 million people who bought the record would agree) - a record that's so serious it becomes a parody of itself. It's not goofy or fun or catchy; yet it doesn't make any kind of coherent statement either. It's just big, stupid, and dumb. This is one of the few songs that make me angry when I hear it. I almost threw up just linking the video. Records like this are why there are so many hip-hop and country radio stations.
Perfect.

Definitely having a lot of fun just watching this one.  I would have drafted poorly.  Plus, krista said schlong.  I think.  Maybe a couple of times.  

Yeah this song is so bad.

:thumbup:

I had this cassette.  I have a bad feeling I'm going to say this a lot for the 80's  :bag:

I wanted to do a recap and house cleaning along with a suggestion and I suggest when you post your song to just make sure you post round/number/song title/group/hate_or_love/era; so right now it's @Ilov80s turn, still round 1, position number 7 - just to clear up any confusion since we got a little bit out of order and we got out of our numbering scheme there.

ROUND 1 (recap)

PIK95               1.1 Cotton Eyed Joe - Redneckz                               HATE               90’S
rockaction        1.2 – The Monster Mash - Bobby "Boris" Pickett       LOVE               60’S
Uruk-Hai          1.3 – With Arms Wide Open – Creed                         HATE               00’S
ScottNorwood  1.4 - Your Love - The Outfield                                    LOVE               80’S  
Sullie                1.5 - Achy Breaky Heart - Billy Ray Cyrus                 HATE               90’S
Mister CIA        1.6 - Arthur’s Theme – Christopher Cross                 HATE               80’S
Ilov80s    
Dr. Octopus    
Mrs. Rannous    
krista4    
otb_lifer  
eephus    
Hov34    
wikkidpissah  
Bruce Dickenson  
Northern Voice  

I wanted to do a recap and house cleaning along with a suggestion and I suggest when you post your song to just make sure you post round/number/song title/group/hate_or_love/era; so right now it's @Ilov80s turn, still round 1, position number 7 - just to clear up any confusion since we got a little bit out of order and we got out of our numbering scheme there.

ROUND 1 (recap)

PIK95               1.1 Cotton Eyed Joe - Redneckz                               HATE               90’S
rockaction        1.2 – The Monster Mash - Bobby "Boris" Pickett       LOVE               60’S
Uruk-Hai          1.3 – With Arms Wide Open – Creed                         (edit)HATE               00’S
ScottNorwood  1.4 - Your Love - The Outfield                                    LOVE               80’S  
Sullie                1.5 - Achy Breaky Heart - Billy Ray Cyrus                 HATE               90’S
Mister CIA        1.6 - Arthur’s Theme – Christopher Cross                 HATE               80’S
Ilov80s    
Dr. Octopus    
Mrs. Rannous    
krista4    
otb_lifer  
eephus    
Hov34    
wikkidpissah  
Bruce Dickenson  
Northern Voice  
Thanks. Mine is a HATE, though

Thoughts on picks so far.  Caveat being that I consider Shlock to be songs that lack originality and soulfullness, rather than novelty songs.

1) Cotton Eyed Joe - This feels to me like more of a novelty song than shlock - but I know some of you guys feel like the definitions are similar.  Either way it's a very bad song, and warrants a selection, but #1 overall feels like a stretch.  I've never heard this outside of a Yankees Game.

2) Monster Mash - One of my favorite novelty songs.  I think I've taken this in other drafts.  I'm not convinced it fits in this draft though.

3) Creed - I don't think I've ever this particular song, but it doesn't matter because they all pretty much sound the same.  This band is is pretty much the poster child for the awful turn rock music took in the late 90s, early 2000s.  Great pick.

4) Your Love - the best

5) Acky Breaky Heart - This wasn't in heavy rotation in the northeast, where I was living at the time.  But I do appreciate the badness of it.  Popular country music was steadily getting worse, but this was when it really hit the point of no return.

6) Arthur's Theme - Not surprised this was taken, but surprised that it went into the hate category.  This is a lovely tune.

Fixed - you should edit your post or it will forever be wrong and you'll forever be known as that guy that loves that $hitty Creed song. .  . just sayin'. 
I even capitalized it :shrug:

I like some of my cheesy songs so much, I'm now questioning whether they have enough schlock but then I realize they absolutely do.

Users who are viewing this thread