What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Strategies (1 Viewer)

Modog814

Footballguy
What are some peoples strategies in regards to blind bidding? Do you go all in on the possible star flavor of the week, or do you spend cautiously?

I tend to not go all in, but probably aren't as aggressive as I should be since I usually end up with money to spare at the end of the season. Looking for different perspectives and reasons behind it.

Traditionally, the best WW candidates seem to surface early, so if you see a "can't miss" prospect the conventional wisdom is to bid the whole kit and kaboodle in the first few weeks of the season. That approach will not guarantee a winner, however, as evidenced by Brandon Jackson being the Week 1 blind bid darling last year. In my own league 8 out of 12 owners bid their entire $1000 bankroll on him (and the winner was decided by the prior season's worst-to-first record, which amused me since the stated purpose of bb is to avoid the WTF situation).

I tend to be a little cautious and bide my time, and while being outbid consistently early on was able to grab Jacoby Ford late last season after most of the other owners had spent their bankroll. That said, I do favor spending it all the first few weeks of the season, but sometimes being patient pays off.

In the few days preceding the Brandon Jackson sweepstakes last year I went back and reviewed the prior 3 years' auctions won at $100 and over ($250 budget). The record was decidedly poor, with most of the players on the list representing over-reactions to injuries (Matt Cassel comes ro mind), and very few turned out to be major point producers for their winning bidders.

Don't be afraid to spend big on breakout players in the first couple of weeks. James Starks getting extended playing time in Week 1 is a lot more meaningful than James Starks getting extended playing time in Week 8.

How can you bid all your budget money? We start w/ only $100, if you bid the whole thing in week one or two you'd have zero bucks for injury pick up later in the season.

How can you bid all your budget money? We start w/ only $100, if you bid the whole thing in week one or two you'd have zero bucks for injury pick up later in the season.
The leagues that I am in have a blind bidding WW that runs early in the week. After that it is a free-for-all, first-come-first-served which costs no bb dollars - so if you spend all your bucks the first week or two you won't be able to bid on the flavor of the week, but you still will be able to make free agent pick ups after the bb waiver wire has run.

The leagues that I am in have a blind bidding WW that runs early in the week. After that it is a free-for-all, first-come-first-served which costs no bb dollars - so if you spend all your bucks the first week or two you won't be able to bid on the flavor of the week, but you still will be able to make free agent pick ups after the bb waiver wire has run.
And in mine you can make a $0 bid and win a guy if nobody else bid on him. They process every day Tuesday through Sunday, 11 am central each day.

I used to hold on to my BBIDs tighter than a fart in church, but not anymore. The last few years if I see a guy that I think has big potential, I am not afraid to use all $100 on him. I did that with D. Moore this year and got him in 13 of 13 leagues. :thumbup:

I used to hold on to my BBIDs tighter than a fart in church, but not anymore. The last few years if I see a guy that I think has big potential, I am not afraid to use all $100 on him. I did that with D. Moore this year and got him in 13 of 13 leagues. :thumbup:
Maybe you should have saved a couple bucks for Derek Hagan. :P

I think if Hagan had star potential he would have showed it already. I'd rather go for a guy with more upside who has a chance to be great than someone that's okay/good.

I think if Hagan had star potential he would have showed it already. I'd rather go for a guy with more upside who has a chance to be great than someone that's okay/good.
This same line of thought made me miss out on Brandon Lloyd last season. 50% of the bid money is as much as anyone has ever bid in my league and that was for Brandon Jackson last season. Generally $20-30 out of a $130 (dont ask) cap will get anyone so I tend to spread the money out on 3-4 players and hope 2 hit.

Users who are viewing this thread