What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Waiver Wire Defenses - Playoffs Edition (1 Viewer)

Adso

Footballguy
With 4 weeks left in the regular season for most fantasy leagues you probably have a good idea if you have a shot at the playoffs. If you have the luxury of being able to carry a second D, or are looking at a record where you feel safe gambling on a tough matchup or two to score great matchups in the playoffs... now might be the time to ensure you get first dibs on the available options. Your picks may vary based on league rules; in my league keeping the opposing offense from scoring isn't worth much so turnovers and TD's are the main focus. I'll start, but would appreciate input from the gurus in the weekly threads:

Bills: 3 great matchups; week 16 is especially nice with the Dolphins coming north to play (first meeting was 2 sacks, 2 int's, 1 FR, 1DTD)

• 14: at Bucs
  • 15: at Jags
  • 16: vs Dolphins
Titans: With the bye week they may be on waivers; Broncos have been giving up a lot of turnovers the last few games, maybe the best champ week matchup going

• 14: at Broncos
  • 15: vs Cards
  • 16: at Jaguars
Rams: Nice champ week matchup, if last night is any evidence, D seems to be getting tougher

• 14: at Cards
  • 15: vs Saints
  • 16: vs Bucs
Patriots: Nice week 14 matchup and underacheiving offenses to round out 15 and 16, Pats D improving.

• 14: vs Browns
  • 15: at Dolphins
  • 16: at Ravens
Browns:Week 15 home game in a brawl against a Bears team that may not have Cutler and champ week against 1.5 ints a week Geno,

• 14: at Patriots
  • 15: vs Bears
  • 16: at Jets
Packers: Week 14 and 16 home games in Green Bay weather against two wobbly offenses

• 14: vs Falcons
  • 15: at Cowboys
  • 16: vs Steelers
Cardinals: Dynamic players, and some nice pre-playoff matchups to go with nice home game against the Rams backup QB in week 14. (thanks banger)

• 14: vs Rams
  • 15: at Titans
  • 16: at Seahawks
Bengals: Bengals have been good to fantastic every home game this season and have one of the best champ week matchups possible. (Pairs well with Titans, Panthers; thanks judge)

• 14: vs Colts
  • 15: at Steelers
  • 16: vs Vikings
Colts: "Don't sleep on the colts. Good schedule and they looked very good even against Denver. Mathis has been beasting this year with 11.5 sacks in 7 games....." (thanks canabuc)

• 14: at Bengals
  • 15: vs Texans
  • 16: at Chiefs
One Week Wonders:

14: Ravens vs Vikings

14: Raiders at Jets

14: Houston vs Jaguars

15: Carolina vs Jets (thanks blake)

15: Saints at Rams

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't forget the Panthers as a one week wonder for Week 15, who have been a top 10 team defense this year. In Week 15 at home they host the Jets.

This is a fantastic thread...thank you for starting it. I'm sure many will be referencing this as the weeks go on. I just put in a waiver claim for the Titans team defense...but I'm still not sold on carrying a 2nd team defense. I'll be going back and forth on this constantly, but you've given me something to think about.

I've teamed Cincy and TN the rest of the way.

Started this week:

Week 8 Bengals vs. Jets - MONEY

Week 9 Titans @ Rams

Week 10 Titans vs. Jacksonville

Week 11 Bengals @ Cleveland

Week 12 Titans @ Oakland

Week 13 Bengals @ SD or Titans @ Colts (not great)

Week 14 Bengals vs. Colts (love Bengals at home vs. all - also, hoping to have a bye anyway)

Week 15 Titans vs. Cardinals

Week 16 Bengals vs. Vikings (likely) or Titans at Jacksonville

I'm trying to do a preemptive pickup on the cards defense. They have some real dynamic players, they are on a bye and a lot of teams have/will drop them and they have a juicy schedule of backup qb's: hou, jax, Indy, phi, St. Louis, tenn. That's pretty sweet.

I'm trying to do a preemptive pickup on the cards defense. They have some real dynamic players, they are on a bye and a lot of teams have/will drop them and they have a juicy schedule of backup qb's: hou, jax, Indy, phi, St. Louis, tenn. That's pretty sweet.
Yep. My playoffs start week 13 and the Eagles are starting to look like a decent matchup. Then they get Kellen Clemens.

Don't sleep on the colts. Good schedule and they looked very good even against Denver

Mathis has been beasting this year with 11.5 sacks in 7 games.....

Don't sleep on the colts. Good schedule and they looked very good even against Denver

Mathis has been beasting this year with 11.5 sacks in 7 games.....
Dropped Saints for them today. I definitely will look to play them in home games. Might throw them at Case and Hou this week even though its a road game.

Recent injuries to Cinci D have me looking somewhere else. How far do you think they've dropped with the loss of Geno Atkins and others?

I'm rolling with the Jets defense. I'll pick them up last week.I just cut Cincinnati Sunday morning.alpha Baltimore but not thrilled with them.so I'm looking to pick up one more defense. I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread.

Pair cle & buf. Good defs that are heating up that have awesome schedule

Eta

Cle week 12 & 13

Buf week 14 15 16

I've teamed Cincy and TN the rest of the way.

Started this week:

Week 8 Bengals vs. Jets - MONEY

Week 9 Titans @ Rams

Week 10 Titans vs. Jacksonville

Week 11 Bengals @ Cleveland

Week 12 Titans @ Oakland

Week 13 Bengals @ SD or Titans @ Colts (not great)

Week 14 Bengals vs. Colts (love Bengals at home vs. all - also, hoping to have a bye anyway)

Week 15 Titans vs. Cardinals

Week 16 Bengals vs. Vikings (likely) or Titans at Jacksonville
Bengals are at home week 11.

Cut bengals for houston. Bengals def needs to be seriously downgraded due to injuries...only good matchup I see for them is min in week 16. hou has multiple good matchups remaining

Detroit?

• 14: at Eagles (Rank: 11th)
  • 15: vs Ravens (Rank: 25th)
  • 16: vs Giants (Rank: 32nd)
They will be fighting for the division title and playing at home 2 weeks out of 3. Their potential value may depend upon your scoring settings. (I expect them to accrue sacks and turnovers but also allow yards and points.)

Anyone have any thoughts on the NYJ? They are out there in 1 league I am in but they have not done much in terms of FF production this season. I like the 5-4 record, Ryan will have them charged up this week against Miami. They have had a lot of low scores this year (FF points) however.

I picked up the Jets and the Giants both today.. Giants have been hot, and thinking of rolling with Jets-Giants-Jets in 3 consecutive NY home games...

I also have the titans, but our WW is picked clean...

Anyone have any thoughts on the NYJ? They are out there in 1 league I am in but they have not done much in terms of FF production this season. I like the 5-4 record, Ryan will have them charged up this week against Miami. They have had a lot of low scores this year (FF points) however.
I like the Jets DST at home, but a matchup for DSTs to face on the road.

Gotta consider St. Louis that got dropped due to the bye in my league- AZ in 14 and TB in 16. I've got 'em paired up with Buffalo that was discussed earlier.

Gotta consider St. Louis that got dropped due to the bye in my league- AZ in 14 and TB in 16. I've got 'em paired up with Buffalo that was discussed earlier.
Yep, picked them up today to pair with Carolina. Colts game may have been a fluke, but they've really been coming on lately. They're No. 7 for the season in my league.

Ok some thoughts here please. More of a ROS question.

Picked up Bills for this week and weeks 14-16.

Jets and Browns available both og which have good complementary schedules to stream with Buffalo.

Question is which to pickup?

Also means would have to drop one of Lamar Miller, Shorts or Harvin to get....

What would you all do?

Sticking with the Cardinals the rest of the way until Week 16 @ Seattle.

Looking at Jets, Bills or Rams for Week 16 championship contest.

Grabbed the Jets they have a pretty good schedule ROS.

No high scoring teams. Scariest matchup for me is Carolina at home week 15.

Not many good WW defenses out there in my league for week 15

So I won the bye and only have to think about weeks 15/16.

Week 16 I have 2 juicy options, but almost certainly going with the Bengals at home vs. the Vikings. Titans @ JAX is enticing too, but Bengals at home have been beastly.

Week 15 I'm leaning Titans at home vs. Cardinals. Bills are also available at Jax, but I'd have to pick 'em up off the wire meaning carrying 3 defenses. Thoughts on those two options? Only problem with the Bills is I'd have to consider them week 16 vs. the Dolphins too - but it would be a great keepaway strategy from other owners.

Week 16 I have 2 juicy options, but almost certainly going with the Bengals at home vs. the Vikings. Titans @ JAX is enticing too, but Bengals at home have been beastly.

Week 15 I'm leaning Titans at home vs. Cardinals. Bills are also available at Jax, but I'd have to pick 'em up off the wire meaning carrying 3 defenses. Thoughts on those two options? Only problem with the Bills is I'd have to consider them week 16 vs. the Dolphins too - but it would be a great keepaway strategy from other owners.
Got Bills already, plan on using them both weeks. But I'm also playing keepaway with the Patriots on my roster, too (vs MIA in 15). Titans just hit the WW and I'm planning on playing keepaway with them, too. And I might drop even one more player to secure the Eagles after this week (vs MIN & CHI). I don't want any good options on the wire for the teams I'm facing. I have no problem with the strategy. If I don't happen to pick the right 1 of the 4 in a week, so be it, but I'd rather have the points on the bench than on my opponent's roster. I've had a clear path to the playoff bye and only having to play wks 15/16 four about the last 6 weeks and have been setting up for it ever since.

Got Bills already, plan on using them both weeks. But I'm also playing keepaway with the Patriots on my roster, too (vs MIA in 15). Titans just hit the WW and I'm planning on playing keepaway with them, too. And I might drop even one more player to secure the Eagles after this week (vs MIN & CHI). I don't want any good options on the wire for the teams I'm facing. I have no problem with the strategy. If I don't happen to pick the right 1 of the 4 in a week, so be it, but I'd rather have the points on the bench than on my opponent's roster. I've had a clear path to the playoff bye and only having to play wks 15/16 four about the last 6 weeks and have been setting up for it ever since.
Interesting strategy.

In most of my leagues this would mean putting pretty decent players out there as options for your opponent. I guess technically I've been stashing running backs in the same light, as I'm happy with my starters but would rather not see them end up on an opponents roster.

And to make sure I'm adding to this defense thread, starting Tennessee this weekend and holding Buffalo through the Bye.

Anyone still high on the Patriots? It seems they have a lot of injuries on that defense, but I'm tempted to stash them anyway.

Whats everyone's thoughts on the Rams? I have seen a lot of people think they may be a start-every-week defense. Others think they are overrated. They look to be very up and down with their big games coming against weaker QB's.

- Arizona

- Jax

- Hou

- Colts (the exception)

and poor showings against better QB's

- ATL

- SF

- Car

Playoffs look like

- ARI

- NO

- TB

Does everyone think they are tending up to elite level, or are they just average?

Sticking with the Cardinals the rest of the way until Week 16 @ Seattle.

Looking at Jets, Bills or Rams for Week 16 championship contest.
Mixing a little Cardinal with a little Brown and hoping to create a pile of cash.

Snagged a few that were dropped on bye weeks to get me through...

Thanks for the info.

I own Carolina and Buffalo was just dropped do to the bye. Gotta snatch them for weeks 14 and 16. If only Cutler were healthy, McCown would be the easy drop (may do it anyway and hope Stafford doesn't get hurt).

Question for Cinci owners: Given their huge home/away spread, who are you pairing them with? (I saw one person upthread say Tenn, but they're not available in my league).

Here's Cinci's ROS schedule:

Week 12: Bye

Week 13: @SD

Week 14: vs IND

Week 15: @Pitt

Week 16: vs MINN

The only true slam dunk is Week 16. Based on their home performance, I'll probably roll them out Week 14 as well even with the tough match-up. That leaves 12, 13 and 15 (although I may use them against Pitt if there's no one better available.)

Top candidates for those weeks would be some combo of Cleveland (Pitt and Jax at home the next two weeks, then pretty much unstartable) and/or Arizona (Indy/@Phi/STL/@Tenn). Put them together and it looks like this:

Week 12: CLE vs Pitt or ARI vs Indy

Week 13 CLE vs Jax

Week 14: ARI vs STL or CIN vs Indy

Week 15: ARI @ Tenn

Week 16: Cinci vs Minn

I'm looking at the Jaguars D/ST hard in a league that has 28 Ds rostered. They have done well two of the last three weeks on the road at Tenessee and Houston. Admittedly I know nothing of their D but I do like that they play two teams that they have recently done well against and all 3 games are at home.

week 13 at Cleveland

week 14 vs Houston

week 15 vs Buffalo

week 16 vs Tenessee

Full disclosure: I'm comparing the Jags to the Bears and Packers in a best ball league. Injuries have really hurt both Ds.

I don't think DEF playing the Jaguars are a lock anymore. Jags have been playing better football lately. I'm not convinced CLE is going to be automatic this week.

I think the Bills and Dolphins are good plays.

Question for Cinci owners: Given their huge home/away spread, who are you pairing them with? (I saw one person upthread say Tenn, but they're not available in my league).

The only true slam dunk is Week 16. Based on their home performance, I'll probably roll them out Week 14 as well even with the tough match-up. That leaves 12, 13 and 15 (although I may use them against Pitt if there's no one better available.)

Top candidates for those weeks would be some combo of Cleveland (Pitt and Jax at home the next two weeks, then pretty much unstartable) and/or Arizona (Indy/@Phi/STL/@Tenn). Put them together and it looks like this:

Week 13 CLE vs Jax

Week 16 is a no-brainer. Just gotta hope AP doesn't go off. But Vikings at home is as good as it gets. Totally agree with you about them being a much better D at thome. Based on the way the Indy O=line has struggled I wouldn't hesitate starting them at home in week 14 vs. the Colts either. Originally I picked up TN to play at home vs. AZ in week 15. (they also have @Jax week 16). But TN just hasn't looked that great of late. So now I'm starting to think about NE vs. Miami, hoping the Patriots get out to a big lead and it's a cold weather game. I don't feel great about the Bengal D on the road in a division game at Pittsburgh in week 15, so it's going to be TN or NE for me.

Week 13 CLE vs Jax

Week 16 is a no-brainer. Just gotta hope AP doesn't go off. But Vikings at home is as good as it gets. Totally agree with you about them being a much better D at thome. Based on the way the Indy O=line has struggled I wouldn't hesitate starting them at home in week 14 vs. the Colts either. Originally I picked up TN to play at home vs. AZ in week 15. (they also have @Jax week 16). But TN just hasn't looked that great of late. So now I'm starting to think about NE vs. Miami, hoping the Patriots get out to a big lead and it's a cold weather game. I don't feel great about the Bengal D on the road in a division game at Pittsburgh in week 15, so it's going to be TN or NE for me.
Yeah, I've changed my mind on a couple things since I wrote that last week. First, I no longer consider Indy a scary match-up. Sure, Luck is always capable of going off, but given Cinci's track record at home I'll start them with confidence. Second, I no longer trust Cleveland. They've never been a great D, and with the offense in the toilet I think they're fairly unstartable (take away the defensive TD they scored vs Cinci and they've put up zero points in each of the past two weeks). I also don't think that either Jax or Pittsburgh are good match-ups anymore. In fact, Pittsburgh's offense is becoming downright scary. Finally, I think Arizona is quickly moving toward elite status. I held on to them last week for Indy, and am seriously considering starting them @ Philly this week. Not a great match-up, but I don't trust Cinci on the road, and don't want to pick up a third D.

My current plan is to alternate ARI/Cinci the next four weeks, though I consider both Week 14 match-ups to be pretty good (Arizona is very strong against the run, and that's all STL has).

Week 13 CLE vs Jax

Yeah, I've changed my mind on a couple things since I wrote that last week. First, I no longer consider Indy a scary match-up. Sure, Luck is always capable of going off, but given Cinci's track record at home I'll start them with confidence. Second, I no longer trust Cleveland. They've never been a great D, and with the offense in the toilet I think they're fairly unstartable (take away the defensive TD they scored vs Cinci and they've put up zero points in each of the past two weeks). I also don't think that either Jax or Pittsburgh are good match-ups anymore. In fact, Pittsburgh's offense is becoming downright scary. Finally, I think Arizona is quickly moving toward elite status. I held on to them last week for Indy, and am seriously considering starting them @ Philly this week. Not a great match-up, but I don't trust Cinci on the road, and don't want to pick up a third D.

My current plan is to alternate ARI/Cinci the next four weeks, though I consider both Week 14 match-ups to be pretty good (Arizona is very strong against the run, and that's all STL has).
My only problem with judging the Cardinals (offense and defense) is that 4 of their last 5 games have been at home. I think the waters get rougher on the road.

Week 13 CLE vs Jax

My only problem with judging the Cardinals (offense and defense) is that 4 of their last 5 games have been at home. I think the waters get rougher on the road.
True. Just ran the numbers. They're road average is just under 8. Home average is 13. Still, 8 points isn't that bad (Cinci's home/away split is like 4/16), especially if you break it down. Against strong offenses (NO/SF*) they've only averaged 5, but with easier match-ups they've scored double digits two out of three times. It also seems like they've improved as the season has gone on (getting Washington back certainly helped). Then again, you could say the same about the Eagles' offense, which has gone from putrid to a juggernaut.

* Of course, I'm speaking only in terms of FPA to opposing Ds.

Users who are viewing this thread