What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (2 Viewers)

The disc version of Jedi Survivor, a game I’ve been looking to buy, is $25 off today, and I’m leaning toward not buying it because I hate having physical media around. I guess I’m all in on the digital age.

I was 100% all in on digital media except now out of the blue my new Xbox 1X won’t connect to my wifi and I can’t play a single game. I can fix it but I’d like the option to play MY GAMES if the internet is down.

Im going to start buying physical games of some older games I like.

The disc version of Jedi Survivor, a game I’ve been looking to buy, is $25 off today, and I’m leaning toward not buying it because I hate having physical media around. I guess I’m all in on the digital age.
i still get discs because they will go on sale for like 75% off when the digital is still full price or slightly reduced. I don't do it often but I have...

The Microsoft-Activision deal is going to close after MS won the ridiculous antitrust challenge. Looks like great news for Game Pass subscribers (at least until they jack up the price).

I was 100% all in on digital media except now out of the blue my new Xbox 1X won’t connect to my wifi and I can’t play a single game. I can fix it but I’d like the option to play MY GAMES if the internet is down.

You cant play Xbox games unless you're connected? Dont they download to your Xbox?

Another reason I guess I'm glad I'm a PS5 guy.

You cant play Xbox games unless you're connected? Dont they download to your Xbox?

Another reason I guess I'm glad I'm a PS5 guy.
Most games require a connection to the internet to play even if you have the game downloaded or a disc. PS is the same. It's based on the game itself not necessarily Microsoft or Sony.

Played through Super Mario World for the first time in at least a decade last weekend. Certain bits weren't quite as easy as I recall but the game throws so many lives at you there's basically no challenge to the game. Going to try to replay through quite a few classic titles before the autumn and sport starts again, probably look to Super Metroid on Monday
This is where Mario Maker has become the haven for the old school Mario gamers looking for a challenge.

Trying for s+ re4 on pro. It's a monster
Good luck. This is one of those challenge runs that I think I'm going to just pass on. I really don't like having to watch my time, and this run in particular seems like it would cause me to break a controller or two.
Pro tip. When you go into the type writer, the clock is stopped. So you can manage your inventory in there while the clock isn't ticking.

I am waiting on Cities Skylines 2 and BG3, both are coming out shortly.

One of my first video games ever was Sim City on the 8088 in black and white and ever city then I have been hooked on city simulators, Sim City 2000, Sim City 4, Tropico 5, and Cities Skylines 1. All great games.

As for Baldurs Gate 3 this is the game I really want. I know it has been in prerelease for a few years now and I have avoided it completely. I have beaten BG1 and 2 all the way through twice, once when they first released when i was in highschool/college and then about 5 years ago. I have also beaten Ice Wind Dale 1/2, and Planescape Torment, I like the DnD based games.

The reason I am looking forward to BG3 so much though is because I did a DnD 5th edition campaign a couple years ago and I like to min/max. I am looking forward to how i can break the combat by the end of the game. My only concern is that they do not include all of the abilities so i may not be able to abuse all of the mechanics that are available in DnD. There are things in DnD that while legal they can kind of piss of the DM to make it harder on you. There is no such problem with the video game.

Last edited:
I picked up Prey a few weeks ago because Amazon was giving it away for free on PC, and wow I absolutely did not realize how good this game is the first time I played it. I got about halfway through a couple of years ago and didn't care much for it, because I was expecting something like Bioshock -- a shooter that has a few cool powers tossed in there for spice. I didn't realize that this game severely punishes the "go in with guns blazing" strategy, and I had a bad experience with it as a result. But I knew that Prey is one of those games that I'm "supposed" to like, so I decided to give it another try since it was free and all. This time, I embraced the need to improvise / get creative when problems arise, and now I'm having a much better time.

For those not super-familiar with this one, it really does look a lot like Bioshock or Dishonored. (It's the same developers as Dishonored and I think involved a lot of the same people behind System Shock). But direct combat will get you killed very quickly, especially in the first half or so of the game, so you really need to come up with ways of engaging with enemies using every scrap of advantage you scrape together, and the game gives you lots of tools to do that. The combat is super-hard because they want to you to come up with ways to break the game using your abilities and the environment. Makes for a fun one. It helps that the story is cool.

I picked up Prey a few weeks ago because Amazon was giving it away for free on PC, and wow I absolutely did not realize how good this game is the first time I played it. I got about halfway through a couple of years ago and didn't care much for it, because I was expecting something like Bioshock -- a shooter that has a few cool powers tossed in there for spice. I didn't realize that this game severely punishes the "go in with guns blazing" strategy, and I had a bad experience with it as a result. But I knew that Prey is one of those games that I'm "supposed" to like, so I decided to give it another try since it was free and all. This time, I embraced the need to improvise / get creative when problems arise, and now I'm having a much better time.

For those not super-familiar with this one, it really does look a lot like Bioshock or Dishonored. (It's the same developers as Dishonored and I think involved a lot of the same people behind System Shock). But direct combat will get you killed very quickly, especially in the first half or so of the game, so you really need to come up with ways of engaging with enemies using every scrap of advantage you scrape together, and the game gives you lots of tools to do that. The combat is super-hard because they want to you to come up with ways to break the game using your abilities and the environment. Makes for a fun one. It helps that the story is cool.

Intrigued.

So I’ve got a whole lot of AMEX Dell credits burning a hole in my pocket and nothing I need, so I sprung for the new PSVR2 headset bundled with Horizon Call of the Mountain. Looking forward to trying this out, have wanted an Oculus for over a year now but I am getting this PSVR2 for basically less than just the cost of the sales tax thanks to the credits.

I know Armored Core is not a Souls game, and I'll have to keep reminding myself of that just to keep my expectations in check. But this does look like a title that figures to be right up my alley. I used to play a tabletop game about mechs fighting one another back in high school and this looks like exactly that, only as a modern video game. Yes please.

Actually, what I really want is this game, only as a turn-based strategy game like XCOM. But this Armored Core looks good too.

I know Armored Core is not a Souls game, and I'll have to keep reminding myself of that just to keep my expectations in check. But this does look like a title that figures to be right up my alley. I used to play a tabletop game about mechs fighting one another back in high school and this looks like exactly that, only as a modern video game. Yes please.

Actually, what I really want is this game, only as a turn-based strategy game like XCOM. But this Armored Core looks good too.

I can't wait for Armored Core. From what I've seen the combat looks more Soulsy than other Armored Core games with cool mechanics layered on top of it. From Software is the gold standard at this point. It's amazing how they can make the same combat style feel fresh every time.

Plus the customization and built variety looks off the charts. I plan on playing it exclusively for at least a few months.

Such a cool game. So unique

I downloaded iit but got bored with the forced tutorial. To be fair it was like 2 am and I was hammered.

I downloaded iit but got bored with the forced tutorial. To be fair it was like 2 am and I was hammered.

You got to have a plan. Playing it hammered prob won't fly. I beat it at work lol

I beat Breath of the Wild a Few weeks back.

Jumped back into God of War. Decided I needed something less...involved--at least for a bit.

So now I'm on World 8-4 of Mario the Lost Levels, and I'm fairly certain I'm in actual hell.

For no reason at allI started playing Fallout New Vegas. I’m about 8 hours in and I’m loving it. This has always been my favorite fallout game and although I very rarely replay games anymore, this game has so many side stories and there’s usually 3 -4 ways you can compete a quest so it’s an entirely different game this time around.

I finished Prey last weekend (two thumbs up -- this is one of those games with a strongly inverted difficulty curve that is a lot of fun if you stick with it) and with football right around the corner, I don't want to start anything long or involved. I think I'm going to go back to Slay the Spire, which I haven't touched in about a year or so. To be frank, I am bad at this game. At the peak of my ability, I think it was successfully "winning" about half my runs at the base difficulty level. For those not familiar with Slay the Spire, this is a rougelike deck-building game. You're supposed to dial up the difficulty level after you've beaten it a couple of times, but I am not very familiar with the deck-building genre at all. I have a general sense that certain abilities synergize with others, and I understand concepts like "card draw" and why it's often a good idea to keep your deck small, but I don't play games like this anywhere near enough to really have much in-game fluency with this stuff.

It would be kind of like picking up a survival horror title and not realizing that you're supposed to be searching every desk and every trash can for resources, and then wondering why you keep getting stuck halfway through. Or playing a SoulsBorne game and attacking NPCs for the lolz. Or playing XCOM and "being brave" with your core team members by pushing them forward in risky situations. Certain genres of games just have unstated assumptions built into them that players are "supposed" to know without being explicitly told, and it's kind of fun to pick up one of those genres as an outsider and learn those rules.

For no reason at allI started playing Fallout New Vegas. I’m about 8 hours in and I’m loving it. This has always been my favorite fallout game and although I very rarely replay games anymore, this game has so many side stories and there’s usually 3 -4 ways you can compete a quest so it’s an entirely different game this time around.
Such a great game. Better than FO 3-4 by a mile IMO.

Finally went back and finished Fallout 4 in preparation for Starfield, which comes out on Sept 6

Starfield will be available for early access starting Thursday night depending on the edition you bought. In my case, I have Gamepass so the base game is free. I opted to pay 35 bucks are so for the Starfield Premium Edition Upgrade, which gives me the first expansion and some other stuff I don’t really care about like digital art and a soundtrack - but it also comes with early access. It’s Labor Day weekend. I’m going in. 🤓🎮🕹️

I finished Prey last weekend (two thumbs up -- this is one of those games with a strongly inverted difficulty curve that is a lot of fun if you stick with it) and with football right around the corner, I don't want to start anything long or involved. I think I'm going to go back to Slay the Spire, which I haven't touched in about a year or so. To be frank, I am bad at this game. At the peak of my ability, I think it was successfully "winning" about half my runs at the base difficulty level. For those not familiar with Slay the Spire, this is a rougelike deck-building game. You're supposed to dial up the difficulty level after you've beaten it a couple of times, but I am not very familiar with the deck-building genre at all. I have a general sense that certain abilities synergize with others, and I understand concepts like "card draw" and why it's often a good idea to keep your deck small, but I don't play games like this anywhere near enough to really have much in-game fluency with this stuff.

It would be kind of like picking up a survival horror title and not realizing that you're supposed to be searching every desk and every trash can for resources, and then wondering why you keep getting stuck halfway through. Or playing a SoulsBorne game and attacking NPCs for the lolz. Or playing XCOM and "being brave" with your core team members by pushing them forward in risky situations. Certain genres of games just have unstated assumptions built into them that players are "supposed" to know without being explicitly told, and it's kind of fun to pick up one of those genres as an outsider and learn those rules.

Prey was fantastic

FYI, Starfield is not faring well in early reviews. For major releases like this, 10/10 reviews are generally not reliable by 7/10 reviews often are. Also, people tend to forget to Bethesda has released some real woofers recently. Specifically Fallout 76, but Fallout 4 was not exactly an upper-echelon game either. Realistically there is no way I am skipping this game, but I was always going to hold off a bit anyway because I don't time for it right now and Starfield figures to have very long legs.

If you don’t like Bethesda games, you won’t like it. If you thought you’d be in a spaceship zipping around space like a simulator, you won’t like it. If you wanted a mashup of Skyrim/Fallout New Vegas/Mass Effect but huge, you’ll love it. I’m the latter so far but just started.

If you don’t like Bethesda games, you won’t like it. If you thought you’d be in a spaceship zipping around space like a simulator, you won’t like it. If you wanted a mashup of Skyrim/Fallout New Vegas/Mass Effect but huge, you’ll love it. I’m the latter so far but just started.
Every single person reviewing this game was expecting "Skyrim in space," not Elite Dangerous, but I'm glad you're enjoying the game. I'd be interested in hearing how it goes as you get into it. (I imagine this one will probably get its own thread since it's a huge title).

If there is one thing I have learned about Bethesda games is you either suck it up and play them early and just know you are going to have bad bugs and unfulfilled promises, or the other option is to wait a year or so for the GotY version once a lot of the bugs are fixed and DLC is out. 76 was a mess and I never went back to that one but still loved 4 even if the story/roleplaying options were a big step back compared to New Vegas.

Still I don't care about reviews anymore, so much is extreme for clicks and engagement, many people get caught up in the Sony vs MS battles or have some sort of bias or axe to grind (my favorite early review I saw blasted on reddit was someone complaining they couldn't land on certain planets. All their example screenshots were from gas giants where in real life it's impossible to land and you would get crushed by the intense pressure or cooked by radiation :lol:) Plus I lost faith in most review sites a long time ago as they all seem to either be shills or versions of the comic book guy from the Simpsons. User reviews tend to be more reliable, if everyone and their dog is saying its a broken mess like when Cyberpunk launched for example a few years ago, then I'll probably not like it. In this instance I have Gamepass so I'll give it a shot either way.

Every single person reviewing this game was expecting "Skyrim in space," not Elite Dangerous, but I'm glad you're enjoying the game. I'd be interested in hearing how it goes as you get into it. (I imagine this one will probably get its own thread since it's a huge title).

I haven’t read any reviews or ever heard of Elite Dangerous (I’m the definition of casual gamer) but a lot of the criticism I’m seeing by players is that they thought they’d be flying around more. And I actually think that’s a valid criticism based on the promotion of the game. It’s just not something I personally care about.

And I think PC gamers are having a tough time getting it work well. So far on XBox it’s been smooth. Still too early for me to say there are no game-breaking bugs, though.

I haven’t read any reviews or ever heard of Elite Dangerous (I’m the definition of casual gamer) but a lot of the criticism I’m seeing by players is that they thought they’d be flying around more. And I actually think that’s a valid criticism based on the promotion of the game. It’s just not something I personally care about.

And I think PC gamers are having a tough time getting it work well. So far on XBox it’s been smooth. Still too early for me to say there are no game-breaking bugs, though.
there's a mad rush for people to post their bug screenshots on reddit right now. My favorite so far is a guy that got into his spaceship and as it took off he glitched and fell out all the way back down to the surface :lol:

If there is one thing I have learned about Bethesda games is you either suck it up and play them early and just know you are going to have bad bugs and unfulfilled promises, or the other option is to wait a year or so for the GotY version once a lot of the bugs are fixed and DLC is out. 76 was a mess and I never went back to that one but still loved 4 even if the story/roleplaying options were a big step back compared to New Vegas.

Still I don't care about reviews anymore, so much is extreme for clicks and engagement, many people get caught up in the Sony vs MS battles or have some sort of bias or axe to grind (my favorite early review I saw blasted on reddit was someone complaining they couldn't land on certain planets. All their example screenshots were from gas giants where in real life it's impossible to land and you would get crushed by the intense pressure or cooked by radiation :lol:) Plus I lost faith in most review sites a long time ago as they all seem to either be shills or versions of the comic book guy from the Simpsons. User reviews tend to be more reliable, if everyone and their dog is saying its a broken mess like when Cyberpunk launched for example a few years ago, then I'll probably not like it. In this instance I have Gamepass so I'll give it a shot either way.
While there are some bugs, I've read this is the cleanest Bethesda release ever and it's not a Cyberpunk situation. To the extent this is getting some "meh" reviews, it's because the reviewers just don't love some of the gameplay. Other reviewers that I have found over the years tend to match my personal preferences are loving the game, so I'm still pretty excited about it. I'm not sure if I'll start it right away because I'm still working through Jedi Survivor, but I'm not going to put off playing it because it needs a ton of patches.

Finished off God of War Ragnarok. Epic game.

Kind of in limbo. I've been dabbling with Arkham City and Mario Sunshine. Kind of bouncing back and forth from newer gen stuff to older/retro games.

Really looking forward to Spiderman 2 and Mario Wonder.

Not sure if this is the right place but figured this crowd would know the quick answer. Wanting to get a laptop for gaming both at home in the road and came across this one. Seems like pretty good specs but do y’all think this could run something like BG3 at relatively high graphics settings?

Yes, easy. I am playing on a laptop using a 3060, which should be very equivalent in performance to the 4050.

Yup, FO4 was awful story-wise. It really lost me when they based the entire story around finding your kid. And you could not get away from the weepy protagonist being all upset over the kid.

I don't have kids. I don't like kids. I don't want to hear about kids. Almost every dialog made me mad. I wanted to abandon the stupid kid quest. But there was never an option for that - you had to care about the kid and go find him if you wanted to play the story. Meh.

Yea, get off my lawn you bunch of hoodlums...

Not sure if this is the right place but figured this crowd would know the quick answer. Wanting to get a laptop for gaming both at home in the road and came across this one. Seems like pretty good specs but do y’all think this could run something like BG3 at relatively high graphics settings?

looks pretty nice for that price. If there's an option to upgrade the video card to 8gb, I would take that, but otherwise that's pretty solid.

looks pretty nice for that price. If there's an option to upgrade the video card to 8gb, I would take that, but otherwise that's pretty solid.
Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like an extra hundred will get you that. https://www.microcenter.com/product...b12vfk-291us-156-gaming-laptop-computer-black

Reactions: jwb

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like an extra hundred will get you that. https://www.microcenter.com/product...b12vfk-291us-156-gaming-laptop-computer-black

That's worth it. That's a nice laptop for 1k.

I'm thinking of getting a Dell gaming laptop soon for Xbox Game pass / Steam. Has anyone had experience with them?

I'm thinking of getting a Dell gaming laptop soon for Xbox Game pass / Steam. Has anyone had experience with them?
I have had a few gaming laptops over the years in a variety of brands. The first Asus laptop I had made it many years of travel with no issues. However, the more recent couple laptops have broken after 2 years of use. The problem is when a part breaks in a gaming laptop you cannot change out the part, the whole laptop is bricked.

This is why i am building a desktop to use for gaming.

Please share what you’re working on if ya feel like it. I want to build one myself but haven’t started relearning what everything is (as far as specs)

My goal was to go cheap on the processor/video card but high end everywhere else with the plan on upgrading those two components in a few years. AMD has publicly stated that they will be making chips for the AM5 socket through at least the end of 2025 which is what drove the decision to go with an AMD processor.

Any cost/benefit analysis says to go with intel, but I went with AMD anyways. The reason is because intel will change sockets with their next CPU, so the motherboards would be worthless in an upgrade. I am not sure I made the correct decision to go with AMD, but it is not too big of deal.

I bought a 3060 RTX on Friday, however I returned it yesterday. I am not sure what video card I am going with but it will be cheap. I may end up with an AMD or intel video card depending on what i can find on sale. The plan will be to get a 5070 in a 5 years once the 60x0 series is out.

I am fine on gaming with middle of the road settings and I should be able to get 10+ years from this setup playing any new game on the middle settings.

edit: all of the other components are latest gen
ddr5 ram
2x pcie 4.0 ssd's
fans/cooling/power supply - probably went overboard here

Please share what you’re working on if ya feel like it. I want to build one myself but haven’t started relearning what everything is (as far as specs)

My goal was to go cheap on the processor/video card but high end everywhere else with the plan on upgrading those two components in a few years. AMD has publicly stated that they will be making chips for the AM5 socket through at least the end of 2025 which is what drove the decision to go with an AMD processor.

Any cost/benefit analysis says to go with intel, but I went with AMD anyways. The reason is because intel will change sockets with their next CPU, so the motherboards would be worthless in an upgrade. I am not sure I made the correct decision to go with AMD, but it is not too big of deal.

I bought a 3060 RTX on Friday, however I returned it yesterday. I am not sure what video card I am going with but it will be cheap. I may end up with an AMD or intel video card depending on what i can find on sale. The plan will be to get a 5070 in a 5 years once the 60x0 series is out.

I am fine on gaming with middle of the road settings and I should be able to get 10+ years from this setup playing any new game on the middle settings.

You almost lost me with going away from intel but your logic is sound and I agree with your build strategy. That’s how I planned to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread