What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Use a new job offer to leverage more money at current job? (1 Viewer)

Spin

Footballguy
I entered the work force a little under 2 years ago for my current employer a massive company with 20k+ employees globally. I started out at 35k with no bonus, and I just recently got my 3rd promotion. I'm now at 60k with a 10% yearly bonus. My first boss (who gave me 2 promotions) left about 6 months ago to go to a new company, smaller start up, maybe 40ish employees. About three weeks ago I got an email from him saying they have an analyst position opening at his current job and asked if I'd be interested. Sent them my cover letter/resume and then had a phone interview a few days later. A week after the phone interview, I had a video conference interview and then last week I had a face to face interview in NY. Today I received an official job offer and the salary increase is pretty substantial.

Offer is 90k base salary with a 10k yearly bonus. I'd have 3 months training in NY, then would be back in Nashville (where I live at the moment) where I would be working full time for a client.

The thing is, I really like what I'm doing now, and the current company seems to see value in my work. I regularly work with the VP and CIO, just last month I put together all of the data and talking points for our company wide townhall, and got my 3rd promotion shortly after. I have not told my current boss that I was talking to other companies, or even expressed much discontent with my role. I'm genuinely happy here and get to have regular meetings with Sr. Leadership. Earlier today the VP I essentially report up to told me "he'd be lost without me". But 30k is a lot of money to me at the moment.

The idea of moving to a new, smallish up and coming company is exciting, but much more job security here, my current company isn't going anywhere. Wife is pregnant with 2nd kid and we close on the new house we are building on the 10th.

Ideally, I could pitch this to my current boss and see if she can get me a similar match to stay where I'm at. Has anyone successfully pulled this off?

I know to most of the FBG here that we're talking paltry sums here, and I know 30k a year isn't exactly life changing.

I guess I'm not sure what the real question here is anyhow... a lot is going on that I didn't expect or anticipate and just looking for general advice.

I normally say never take a job for money but 30k is alot of coin. Id try and see what you can get from your current company and be prepared to walk. Oh and congrats ,

A 50% bump as a match from your current employer is obviously pretty large. They might not be able to go all the way there but maybe half. Either way, you should have a number in mind where you'd be willing to stay, so it doesn't play out where you ask, they offer, and you end up taking the new job anyway.

Any particular reservations about training in NY for 3 months with a kid at home and another on the way, while moving into a new home? That could be worth the $15k difference we may be talking about. Is new company allowing you to travel home every weekend on their time or on yours? Getting home at 10pm on Friday every week and leaving your family at 5pm on Sundays could wear on you. Just all factors to consider.

Congrats on the offer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I normally say never take a job for money but 30k is alot of coin. Id try and see what you can get from your current company and be prepared to walk. Oh and congrats ,
:goodposting: It sounds like you're young and just starting out. Don't feel like you need to be loyal to your current employer, because they sure as hell won't be to you. If you can leverage higher pay where you are, then Ok. But it sounds like a great offer from the new company. I say go for it.

A 50% bump as a match from your current employer is obviously pretty large. They might not be able to go all the way there but maybe half. Either way, you should have a number in mind where you'd be willing to stay, so it doesn't play out where you ask, they offer, and you end up taking the new job anyway.

Any particular reservations about training in NY for 3 months with a kid at home and another on the way, while moving into a new home? That could be worth the $15k difference we may be talking about. Is new company allowing you to travel home every weekend on their time or on yours? Getting home at 10pm on Friday every week and leaving your family at 5pm on Sundays could wear on you. Just all factors to consider.

Congrats on the offer.
No, I've talked with wife, and we're comfortable with the training. I'd be flying up to NY every Monday morning and leaving Friday afternoon during training. Although it'd really be the first time I'd be away from my wife/son for that amount of time. No traveling at all with current job.

Yah, boy #2 is due in November, and new company is fine with me taking off two weeks when he is born. The biggest sticking point so far is after the client's contract is up, there's a chance for relocation, maybe up to NY or to a new client. 90k in Nashville goes much further then 90k in NY. With current job, no relocation chance at all.

Congrats on the offer.
No, I've talked with wife, and we're comfortable with the training. I'd be flying up to NY every Monday morning and leaving Friday afternoon during training. Although it'd really be the first time I'd be away from my wife/son for that amount of time. No traveling at all with current job.

Yah, boy #2 is due in November, and new company is fine with me taking off two weeks when he is born. The biggest sticking point so far is after the client's contract is up, there's a chance for relocation, maybe up to NY or to a new client. 90k in Nashville goes much further then 90k in NY. With current job, no relocation chance at all.
yikes. You didnt mention that last part.

Congrats on the offer.

$90k in NY for a family of 4 doesn't go far at all... I'd imagine $60k in Nashville goes MUCH further.

If you like what you are doing and they make an honest effort to keep you, then stay. You're young and will have plenty of offers down the road at this rate, maybe your current outfit will meet you halfway. The relocation variable is pretty huge, $90k in NY is meh while it's a very good living in Nashville.

I've turned down more money plenty of times and never regretted it. I didn't turn it down this last time though, so things will always change for those of us who want to branch out.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Congrats on the offer.

yikes. You didnt mention that last part.
I just text my ex-boss about chance of relocation up to NY and he just replied "Little to none. I need a SE rep. If I have to drag you up here, you'll be fine"

If you like what you are doing and they make an honest effort to keep you, then stay. You're young and will have plenty of offers down the road at this rate, maybe your current outfit will meet you halfway. The relocation variable is pretty huge, $90k in NY is meh while it's a very good living in Nashville.

I've turned down more money plenty of times and never regretted it. I didn't turn it down this last time though, so things will always change for those of us who want to branch out.

Out of curiosity, when you mention "honest effort to keep you", you mean by regular promotions so far, or if they offer a merit increase to bring my pay up to "market value"?

They prob won't match a 50% bump and you need to be prepared to walk after showing your hand.
Agree. I guess I'm hoping for 50% of it, as was brought up by another poster. I'd stay at 75k for sure.
You don't have to disclose numbers, you can just let them know you have "an aggressive offer"... If they ask how much, just say you'd be willing to stay for $80 or whatever you want to say to try and get to the $75.The one key negative is if they say they aren't offering you anything else, then you're in tight spot.

Out of curiosity, when you mention "honest effort to keep you", you mean by regular promotions so far, or if they offer a merit increase to bring my pay up to "market value"?
I mean they sit you down, tell you how much they value you, and then they show you what the future is like if you stay. You know each other so let it all hang out, tell them your goals and what you want out of your career.

Do you have the offer in writing by chance? I usually get job offers in writing and then present them to my current employer. You tell them you need to talk to them, you give them the letter, then you talk honestly about the situation. You'll know what to do based on how they respond to you, and what they offer you for the future. I'm sure this would include a raise but I wouldn't look for a specific number, there are a number of things they can compensate you with that is better than salary (more time off is #1, free day care for kids, company car access, etc).

I wouldn't unless the ex-boss puts something in writing that covers the NY cost of living. Huge difference. I don't trust businesses period.

ETA: Yeah, I'd try and milk your current employer for sure, but not be prepared to walk based on the current offer. Get a nice raise and be happy.

I mean they sit you down, tell you how much they value you, and then they show you what the future is like if you stay. You know each other so let it all hang out, tell them your goals and what you want out of your career.

Do you have the offer in writing by chance? I usually get job offers in writing and then present them to my current employer. You tell them you need to talk to them, you give them the letter, then you talk honestly about the situation. You'll know what to do based on how they respond to you, and what they offer you for the future. I'm sure this would include a raise but I wouldn't look for a specific number, there are a number of things they can compensate you with that is better than salary (more time off is #1, free day care for kids, company car access, etc).
Yes, I have the offer letter. That was my current plan. Just take the letter to my current boss, tell her I like what I'm doing, I wasn't actively seeking new employment, but it's tough to say no to such a big % increase.

I mean they sit you down, tell you how much they value you, and then they show you what the future is like if you stay. You know each other so let it all hang out, tell them your goals and what you want out of your career. Do you have the offer in writing by chance? I usually get job offers in writing and then present them to my current employer. You tell them you need to talk to them, you give them the letter, then you talk honestly about the situation. You'll know what to do based on how they respond to you, and what they offer you for the future. I'm sure this would include a raise but I wouldn't look for a specific number, there are a number of things they can compensate you with that is better than salary (more time off is #1, free day care for kids, company car access, etc).
Yes, I have the offer letter. That was my current plan. Just take the letter to my current boss, tell her I like what I'm doing, I wasn't actively seeking new employment, but it's tough to say no to such a big % increase.
Nothing wrong with that... My one negative thought (which could be wrong) is that they may feel they can keep you around over time for cheaper than market value if they know you are turning down such a large bump for less to stay.

I wouldn't even mention the money if it's written down, this is an obvious priority and consideration. Concentrate on your upward mobility in your current company, tell them you really like it there, tell them this has given you a lot to think about. Again, they'll either tell you what you want to hear or they'll tell you good luck. But IMO it's not just salary, there are other benefit considerations to consider and it does sound like this is a more stable situation for you with kids coming and the like. You'll know what to do after talking to them, you'll at the very least have a really good lean.

Then you come back in here and we'll confuse you even more. lol

At your current salary, and a 5% annual increase, it will take you 9 years to reach 90k. In 9 years, you will have made 270,000 more by changing. You don't sound like you need more than 60k to live, so sock the rest away for your kids college or your retirement.

If you entered the workforce 2 years ago, I'm going to guess you're in your early 20's. Maybe mid-20's since you're married with two kids.

Anywho... I would take the new opportunity for more money and a smaller firm which sounds like it could offer more growth opportunity for yourself as the company grows.

If you leave on good terms, maybe you have the security blanket of possibly coming back if things don't work out.

Good luck. You're in a good spot.

If you love your current job, feel adequately compensated for the work you do, and can afford NOT to take the other job with the raise - then stay where you are at. The reason I say that is the place you are at is stable and you are valued. The new place could be rolling the dice to see if you pan out and if you don't blow their doors off they will cut bait and then what? The other factor is if they are a new start up - you never know how stable the situation will be.

On the other hand - if you are in the ground floor of a start up that takes off - you could be set for life. Weigh your options carefully, this might be a life changing moment.

At your current salary, and a 5% annual increase, it will take you 9 years to reach 90k. In 9 years, you will have made 270,000 more by changing. You don't sound like you need more than 60k to live, so sock the rest away for your kids college or your retirement.
Except that he started two years ago at 35k and is now at 60k, so he can likely increase that much faster than 5% yearly. What if the wage growth continues so that he's making 90k in a year or two and 120k in four years; could he experience similar growth at the new place?How does the potential salary growth at the existing firm compare to the potential salary growth at the new one?

If the ONLY reason you'd move is for money, and would be happier staying if present employer matched, take it to them. Tell them you really like the challenge and culture fit where you are now but the value the other company is placing on you has you in a quandary. You have a desire to provide for your young family. See how they react. If they value you as an A player and can pay you without wrecking established comp structures you get a good counter you'll stay. If not you can walk.

You should take the other job. You can try to get more money at current location, but if you mention the offer you better be prepared to leave. The company will be looking past you even if they give in a bit to keep you for now.

Don't feel as though you have to be loyal to the encumbant company. Believe me if the need to do layoffs they are not going to think twice. Do you believe in your old boss? Will you be challenged and have an opportunity to take on additional responsibility? The new gig sounds like a good spot to be in plus you get a huge raise. What specifically do you do. If the new job does not work out would you be able to find a job easily? Tough choice but I would definatlely give this a good look. You are in the best position possible. Worst case you leverage this into a nice pay raise ( be sure to tell old boss you are not ready yet but may be interested ad the new company grows and becomes more established). Let us know how it goes.

What was the reason your first boss left? What was his situation and is he a savvy guy?

He's obviously in a higher stratosphere plus he likes you. Seems like an immediate bump and you have a guy in your corner who recognizes your talents and can further your career along.

If the ONLY reason you'd move is for money, and would be happier staying if present employer matched, take it to them. Tell them you really like the challenge and culture fit where you are now but the value the other company is placing on you has you in a quandary. You have a desire to provide for your young family. See how they react. If they value you as an A player and can pay you without wrecking established comp structures you get a good counter you'll stay. If not you can walk.
Sorry to hijack, but I missed the update. What did you end up doing JS?

here goes........

There is a lot that should go into this decision, moreso than just money, especially if you are young.

You started just two years ago at 35k and have received more than a 75% pay increase in 2 years. However, a huge factor in that as you've stated was your previous boss.

First question you should be asking yourself is why did your previous boss leave?

Most of the time upper management has a better feel for the direction the company is going in.

Further, there is usually the proverbial glass ceiling that you need to keep on the look out for when determining your future at your present or any future company.

There are advantages of working at larger companies, such as they usually offer better health care and other benefits than a smaller company can offer. However, usually there are also way more layers of management and much more difficult to get promoted/significant pay increases once you reach a certain level.

Also, larger companies are usually more stable in rougher economic times (being that they probably will not go out of business), but when cuts are made in budget, layoffs are made, sometimes last one hired are first ones fired...

There are advantages of working at smaller companies. Usually they can offer a higher wage because they need to in order compete with lack of other benefits. Plus, they don't carry the payroll of 20,000+ employees. But, in rough economic times, they very well could go under if cash flows become an issue.

I would NEVER go back to my current company with another offer looking for more money unless I was completely willing to walk. Also, it's usually not a good idea because now your boss knows that you may be looking for other employment, so he/she needs to figure out a way to find your replacement quickly in the event you do leave. Further, unless you are completely irreplaceable (no one is), there is no incentive for the current company to try to find someone else that can do your job (maybe even at a lower pay rate, or your present pay rate), that is more loyal and ambitious to grow with your current company.

No one can give you a definitive answer on this but yourself, and you really need to kind of look bigger picture than just the pay increase.

Yes, a 50% pay increase right now would be awesome. But, how are you looking 3 years down the road, 5 years down the road, etc....

g'luck

You haven't mentioned what the benefit packages look like, this could change the equation. Is the smaller start-up on good financial footing and would that give you more growth? It sounds like you're getting great exposure at your current gig, and unless there's some stock options or something else from the new firm, the kind of growth you're looking for is what you're already being groomed for at your current gig.

I'd show current company the offer letter, let them counter. If you're happy with the counter, then stay. Once you decide though, don't go back to the company with another offer for at least another two or three years. While your current company obviously values your work, it gets tiresome when an employee is constantly looking to job-hop and leverages new offers for more money. Once is fine, more than that and your rep and future with the company will likely suffer.

Good luck

Something I didn't see mentioned. Are they paying for your room & board up in NY for the 3 months while you're training from M-F? That could be a significant expenditure.

If you go to the new company, try to leave the door open to return to your current company. Tell them you have an offer for 50% more money that you can't pass up because you have a growing family, but it was a very tough decision because you enjoy working at the current company so much. They will say they understand, and wish you well at the new company or they will make you a new offer for a higher salary.

BobbyLayne said:
Judge Smails said:
Sorry to hijack, but I missed the update. What did you end up doing JS?
Took the new gig. Reading closely about the counter offer stuff, as I'm going to get one for sure.

I won't have any updates til sometime next week. My boss is on vacation then I go on vacation. I let them (new offering company) know it would be about 2 weeks before I respond and they said they understand. Seems pretty lenient, but just gives me more time to agonize over this.

Baloney Sandwich said:
gianmarco said:
Something I didn't see mentioned. Are they paying for your room & board up in NY for the 3 months while you're training from M-F? That could be a significant expenditure.
What type of cheap ### company wouldn't pay for that?
Baloney Sandwich said:
gianmarco said:
What type of cheap ### company wouldn't pay for that?
Training expenses would be covered. Fly up Monday morning. Hotel stay for Monday -> Thursday nights and flight back to Nashville Friday evening. No meal allowance though... Thought it would be standard but guess not.

Daywalker said:
What was the reason your first boss left? What was his situation and is he a savvy guy?

He's obviously in a higher stratosphere plus he likes you. Seems like an immediate bump and you have a guy in your corner who recognizes your talents and can further your career along.
He left to join his friend that started this company. Said he liked where he worked (my current job), but also liked getting back to NY, his son is currently at NYU.

Is he savvy? Not sure. He made a living at my current job making the job seem much more complicated then it actually is. So he worked in a silo and hid behind fancy math terms that scared people who asked further questions. He worked here for 8 years, and rode it to a director title. I now do everything he used to do, plus a lot more.

guru_007 said:
How old are you? Does your wife work?
I turn 28 in October. Took the party path in college and stayed for 7 years. I did get two degrees (Math and E. Engineering) and spent a year on co-op. Had a lot of fun but delayed entering the workforce longer then I would have liked.

She works a part time job making $10 an hour plus commission for an insurance saleslady. Pretty much just to get out of the house and keep her sanity. But we don't need her to work.

I know that companies have no loyalty to anyone except themselves, but remember that you are basically showing current employer that you have a roving eye and would jump ship for more money. If your performance were to ever slip for some reason, don't be surprised if they give you the heave-ho rather quickly.

You'll also get that reputation amongst the higher ups, no matter what they say, and were your current boss to leave, her replacement might not be a sanguine about having someone "disloyal" on the team.

guru_007 said:
There are advantages of working at larger companies, such as they usually offer better health care and other benefits than a smaller company can offer. However, usually there are also way more layers of management and much more difficult to get promoted/significant pay increases once you reach a certain level.

Also, larger companies are usually more stable in rougher economic times (being that they probably will not go out of business), but when cuts are made in budget, layoffs are made, sometimes last one hired are first ones fired...

There are advantages of working at smaller companies. Usually they can offer a higher wage because they need to in order compete with lack of other benefits. Plus, they don't carry the payroll of 20,000+ employees. But, in rough economic times, they very well could go under if cash flows become an issue.
This is an excelent take on your situation. I am 15 years into my career with an SVP title and make a good living. I do find that i am now competing for my next job with people up to double my experience due to the size of my company (200K+ empoyees). Within the next year or two i will probably have to decide whether or not i need to jump ship to a competitor. I will say that larger company does not always mean better benifits, in fact i would say that they are worse. i have worked for two very large institutions (BAC and GE) with terrible benefits and two smaller private companies (Arthur Andersen & Alverez and Marsal) with great benefit packages.

You really should try to make a choice sooner rather than later. i would actually try to get it taken care of before your vacation that way you can use that time to recharge rather than worry about what you are going to do.

guru_007 said:

This is an excelent take on your situation. I am 15 years into my career with an SVP title and make a good living. I do find that i am now competing for my next job with people up to double my experience due to the size of my company (200K+ empoyees). Within the next year or two i will probably have to decide whether or not i need to jump ship to a competitor. I will say that larger company does not always mean better benifits, in fact i would say that they are worse. i have worked for two very large institutions (BAC and GE) with terrible benefits and two smaller private companies (Arthur Andersen & Alverez and Marsal) with great benefit packages.

You really should try to make a choice sooner rather than later. i would actually try to get it taken care of before your vacation that way you can use that time to recharge rather than worry about what you are going to do.
The shark move is to ponder when you are on vacation. Amazing what a lot of time looking at the ocean with a beer in your hand will do for thinking and clarity. Then, if you do make a move plan your start date so you have another vacation to recharge.

I have a close personal friend who had a similar situation, and I think his choices could be helpful to you here:

Joined company, was working well, enjoyed things, but got an offer for $50k more roughly 6 months in from another company. Didn't want to move (had young kids and such) and liked the work he was in, but going from $100k -> $150k is obviously a HUGE jump, just as in your case.

He opted to go talk to a friend at the company in HR. Simply went in, asked if the guy had a minute to talk because he had a difficult choice to make, and he'd like it if it stayed just between the two of them. HR guy said sure, have a seat and let's chat. So he goes in to the office, and says, "I really like it here. I like the culture, I like the job. I don;t know what to do with this though, for reasons you can guess." At that point he just slid the offer letter across the desk.

He didn't ask for anything and he didn't talk to his boss. Because that could paint him into a corner, he wanted to avoid it. So he went to a friend and chatted and, as everyone on the planet could predict, that guy told someone higher up. Because a couple days later, his boss called him in and offered a substantial raise (I want to say right around the meeting halfway point), which was plenty for the guy and about exactly what he had hoped for. He stayed with the company another 4 years before deciding it was time to move again to a new company.

Point is: Tell your boss or leave aren't the only options. Let it slip to someone else who you know will talk, and see what happens. There are obviously downsides too, but I like this option, personally.

A lot changes in a week. Ex-Boss quit the company and told me not to take the offer. Not sure on the details but it sounds like he had a disagreement with the other owner about direction of company and quit.

So staying with current company. And not really upset at all, maybe it's a good heads up that I didn't really want to jump ship quite yet anyhow..

Should I still bring this up to my boss?

"Hey, just letting you know, I turned down a job offer at 90k, because I'm very happy with what I do etc, don't want to leave, but maybe this is an opportunity to re calibrate my salary?"

If you had an employee approach you in this way, how would you respond?

Users who are viewing this thread