What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

USC's Jarrett declared ineligible (1 Viewer)

BoulderBob

Footballguy
USC's Jarrett violated NCAA rules when he shared apartment with Leinart

June 16, 2006

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Southern California's Dwayne Jarrett violated NCAA rules by not paying enough rent for the apartment he shared with Matt Leinart and was declared ineligible -- though the All-America receiver might not miss any playing time.

Jarrett must apply for reinstatement with the NCAA before he can play this season and he might have to repay several thousand dollars to Leinart's father, who paid most of the rent on the apartment.

NCAA spokesman Bob Williams said Friday a case like this can be resolved in three ways: a student-athlete can be denied reinstatement; regain eligibility with no conditions attached; or be required to miss games and/or pay back the extra benefit.

"It depends on the particular circumstances involved in each case," Williams said.

USC's compliance office requested the NCAA's assistance in determining whether a violation had occurred because Jarrett paid less than half of what Leinart's father said was a $3,866-per-month lease.

"We're aware that the NCAA has deemed this to be a violation of the extra benefit rule," USC spokesman Tim Tessalone said. "This summer, USC will apply for Jarrett's reinstatement of eligibility and hope for a decision prior to the start of the season."

USC officials began investigating the matter following a published report in late April that a possible violation had occurred.

Leinart's father, Bob, put the two players on the lease at a secured apartment complex downtown after Leinart moved out of his former residence near campus, where he was being hounded by fans.

Leinart and Jarrett each paid $650 a month, with Leinart's father paying $2,566 -- the difference of the monthly payment.

"The information submitted by the University of Southern California regarding the living arrangements of the two football student-athletes represents a violation of NCAA extra benefit rules," the NCAA said in a statement issued Thursday, adding that a reinstatement application from USC would be handled "in a timely matter."

A "$3,866-per-month lease" ??? That's ridiculously expensive; even with crazy house prices in Cali, you could buy a fairly palatial place for nearly $4K/month. The NCAA ought to be investigating Leinart too cause unless Bob Leinart is wealthy, I'd guess someone was giving money to Leinart's dad to pay the rent, similar to what was going on with that Reggie Bush house.

The special benefits rule is so ridiculously overbroad as to render potentially anything a special benefit.

ought to be investigating Leinart too cause unless Bob Leinart is wealthy,
He is.
cant beLeniart and his family had to take out a mortgage on the house to pay for his insurance policy for injury when he went back for his senior season

The NCAA is hilarious. Nothing unusual for college student to share an apartment where somebody's parents pay a portion of the rent, utilities and/or food. Well, except for the $4,000 a month part.

The NCAA is hilarious. Nothing unusual for college student to share an apartment where somebody's parents pay a portion of the rent, utilities and/or food. Well, except for the $4,000 a month part.
Very slippery slope when it comes to what constitutes sharing an apartment, and what constitutes a payoff though.

He is.
cant beLeniart and his family had to take out a mortgage on the house to pay for his insurance policy for injury when he went back for his senior season
:lmao: do you have any concept of leverage and how expensive those policies are?
A mortgage was probably the best way to do that financially. Rather than shell out cash for the policy. I don't think that discounts Mr. Leinhart's wealth position. That said, someone really needs to step in and revise the NCAA. They are completely out of control and the arguments for their policies are baseless.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very slippery slope when it comes to what constitutes sharing an apartment, and what constitutes a payoff though.
The problem with the rules of NCAA is that in order to keep the idea of amatuerism they have to force the athletes to live very differently than a normal college student would. I remember to my undergradute days where a couple of times friends of the family gave me money for no reason except that I was in college or took me to dinner with the rest of the family. Depending on what the current dollar limit is currently, doing these things for an athlete is a violation of NCAA rules. The issue is attempting to determine the intent of the giver. Is the person trying to give the athlete a benefit because he (or she) is an athlete? The NCAA has decided that if you are athlete almost all forms of financial benefit are against rules. Easier for them to determine intent, but forces rules and rulings which are outside of the scope of reality for "normal" college students.

He is.
:lmao: do you have any concept of leverage and how expensive those policies are?
A mortgage was probably the best way to do that financially. Rather than shell out cash for the policy. I don't think that discounts Mr. Leinhart's wealth position. That said, someone really needs to step in and revise the NCAA. They are completely out of control and the arguments for their policies are baseless.
The NCAA is a joke.

The problem with the rules of NCAA is that in order to keep the idea of amatuerism they have to force the athletes to live very differently than a normal college student would. I remember to my undergradute days where a couple of times friends of the family gave me money for no reason except that I was in college or took me to dinner with the rest of the family. Depending on what the current dollar limit is currently, doing these things for an athlete is a violation of NCAA rules. The issue is attempting to determine the intent of the giver. Is the person trying to give the athlete a benefit because he (or she) is an athlete? The NCAA has decided that if you are athlete almost all forms of financial benefit are against rules. Easier for them to determine intent, but forces rules and rulings which are outside of the scope of reality for "normal" college students.
The NCAA is a joke, plan and simple.

A mortgage was probably the best way to do that financially. Rather than shell out cash for the policy. I don't think that discounts Mr. Leinhart's wealth position.
yes, that was my point. :thumbup:

The NCAA is laughable. I played D1 and got questioned four years after I graduated for a birthday cake(no stripper) I received on my 19th birthday from the coaches.

Should've got the stripper. :hot:

so Lienert's dad can't pay for Lienert and a friend to rent an apartment?

he can pay for leinart, not for jarrett.the friend has to pay a market rent (or a portion thereof). jarrett was obviously not doing this and as such is in trouble.

likely will be reinstated but with the NCAA you never know.

So am I reading that right, or would Leinart have been declared ineligible as well, if he were still playing at USC? He was paying the same as Jarrett......

So am I reading that right, or would Leinart have been declared ineligible as well, if he were still playing at USC? He was paying the same as Jarrett......
No, it is not a NCAA violation for a parent to give money to their child. Mr. Leinart could set up Matt with an unlimited bankroll and not get in trouble. It becomes a problem when the benefits extend to non family members.

So am I reading that right, or would Leinart have been declared ineligible as well, if he were still playing at USC?  He was paying the same as Jarrett......
No, it is not a NCAA violation for a parent to give money to their child. Mr. Leinart could set up Matt with an unlimited bankroll and not get in trouble. It becomes a problem when the benefits extend to non family members.
Makes sense.... :thumbup:

In an unrelated development, ESPN was questioned about their lack of coverage of USC's NCAA violations. It was thought that after the "knowledge that the former OSU player interviews were made up" that ESPN would look for a real NCAA violation to write about. When Tom Friend was aked about this he said "USC is on the West Coast and I don't have a long distance account to call a player with". Further, is was said that Mr. Friend found the story uninteresting becasue it was "very truthful". He only seems interested in fiction. :wall:

Seriously, why so little coverage about USC's proven viaolations when they blasted OSU all season about Clarett's lies? Especially when Clarett said himself the day after the interviw with Friend that he made it up? And they rab with it anyway! And then they blasted OSU all season! :wall:

Sorry, just a frustrated Buckeye fan that can't understand ESPN's hate affliction with OSU. I guess for some reason I thought they were objective. Seems they're not.

so then, my opinion would be, he should sign up with the CFL, right now.. get playing time.. DON'T get like mike...

The NCAA is absolute ####. They make gobs of money off kids who live like they are poor while in college and then they can not even accept a generous gift.

There is a difference between an escalade and a nice steak dinner with family friends.

It is just wrong that these kids in school are cash cows for big wigs and for three or four years in college I lived like a king, while they had nothing other than meal money and clothing cash(well most of them)....just wrong

I think the NCAA's rules towards athletes are ridiculous, but saying that they get nothing out of it and that they are just being used is also ridiculous. They get a scholarship, which is worth a lot. I think there should be more discretion when applying the rules, though. Getting a steak dinner, or a birthday cake, is not something a player should get in trouble over. Getting free cars and such is.

In an unrelated development, ESPN was questioned about their lack of coverage of USC's NCAA violations. It was thought that after the "knowledge that the former OSU player interviews were made up" that ESPN would look for a real NCAA violation to write about. When Tom Friend was aked about this he said "USC is on the West Coast and I don't have a long distance account to call a player with". Further, is was said that Mr. Friend found the story uninteresting becasue it was "very truthful". He only seems interested in fiction. :wall:

Seriously, why so little coverage about USC's proven viaolations when they blasted OSU all season about Clarett's lies? Especially when Clarett said himself the day after the interviw with Friend that he made it up? And they rab with it anyway! And then they blasted OSU all season! :wall:

Sorry, just a frustrated Buckeye fan that can't understand ESPN's hate affliction with OSU. I guess for some reason I thought they were objective. Seems they're not.
:cry:

he can pay for leinart, not for jarrett.the friend has to pay a market rent (or a portion thereof). jarrett was obviously not doing this and as such is in trouble.

likely will be reinstated but with the NCAA you never know.
that is the dumbest rule I have ever heard in my life.I wonder if we went across the country how many college students would be living with friends who hav emore money than they do and pay a dispraportionate part of the rent.

He was not given any gift because he was a football player, Lienert's dad paid extra rent so Lienert could live there and Jarrett lived there becuase he was Lienert's friend, had nothing to do with football...

The NCAA is the worst organization on earth if they actually suspend him from a game for this...

He is.
No, do you? How much did it cost Leinart? What examples do you have of other athletes?

No, do you? How much did it cost Leinart? What examples do you have of other athletes?
it cost leinart's dad 6 figures for a multi million dollar policy. effectively paid a couple hundred thousand to guarantee millions.this isn't something you are going to come out of pocket with, even if you have the financial wherewithal to do so as you can write off the interest carry and the rate you are paying on your mortgage is much less than what you could earn in the stock market or other financial securities.

not sure of other athletes, but i know for a fact that it cost leinart's dad upwards of 6 figures.

Users who are viewing this thread