What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (4 Viewers)

I think this makes good sense. Being able distance themselves from WC2026 and the LA Olympics in 2028 may afford them better chances in sponsorships

====================================

U.S. Soccer and the Mexican Football Federation have withdrawn their bid to jointly host the 2027 Women's World Cup and will instead focus on securing the 2031 Women's World Cup, the federations announced on Monday.

I think this makes good sense. Being able distance themselves from WC2026 and the LA Olympics in 2028 may afford them better chances in sponsorships

U.S. Soccer and the Mexican Football Federation have withdrawn their bid to jointly host the 2027 Women's World Cup and will instead focus on securing the 2031 Women's World Cup, the federations announced on Monday.
Fifa will now select Oman or Somalia for the 2027 WWC.

Maybe by 2031 the Mexican women will be able to play a home game with fans in attendance.

Schulte and Morris play against Vazquez Wed night in the second leg of the CCC semi finals. Columbus is up 2-1 with second leg in Monterrey.

This seemed unthinkable a year ago, but is Sargent our top striker going into Copa?

========================

https://twitter.com/BrianSciaretta
Brian Sciaretta
@BrianSciaretta

Technically Folarin Balogun got an assist for a slight touch. After a long VAR review, it was given.But Balogun struggled and was pulled at HT, 16 touches, 5/9 passing. The assist was also his only touch in Lyon’s box
NO.

Let me rephrase that....

Hell No!
So who then?

Balo has been pretty meh all season... And not scoring.

Haji has been scoring, as has Sarge- albeit in the championship. And they're each scoring in different ways which is nice.

If Balo had shown any form over the last 9 months, he's an auto start... But such is the state of our 9 that our auto start looks worse than the guy behind him who have been really productive.

So who?

Has he still been playing the 6? And he's still only like 13 yo. Would be great for him step up this season and also stay healthy when called up for whichever age group takes him.
I think he has been in a dual 6 role with Seattle this year. He is 18 now so hopefully he can start making a difference as a pro this season.

This seemed unthinkable a year ago, but is Sargent our top striker going into Copa?

========================

Brian Sciaretta
@BrianSciaretta

Technically Folarin Balogun got an assist for a slight touch. After a long VAR review, it was given.But Balogun struggled and was pulled at HT, 16 touches, 5/9 passing. The assist was also his only touch in Lyon’s box
NO.

Let me rephrase that....

Hell No!
So who then?

Haji has been scoring, as has Sarge- albeit in the championship. And they're each scoring in different ways which is nice.

If Balo had shown any form over the last 9 months, he's an auto start... But such is the state of our 9 that our auto start looks worse than the guy behind him who have been really productive.

So who?
One interesting thing about Haji is every time I look at a Coventry lineup, he is never playing striker, he is typically on the left of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1 formation. And yet like in this recent goal clip, he appears to be playing very central like a modern 9. Only watching clips instead of the full game does not help though since those are only small moments in the game where game state may have changed his position momentarily.

========================

Brian Sciaretta
@BrianSciaretta

NO.

Let me rephrase that....

Hell No!
So who then?

So who?
One interesting thing about Haji is every time I look at a Coventry lineup, he is never playing striker, he is typically on the left of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1 formation. And yet like in this recent goal clip, he appears to be playing very central like a modern 9. Only watching clips instead of the full game does not help though since those are only small moments in the game where game state may have changed his position momentarily.
I don't know how he played that game, but I LOVE that he stepped up and drained the PK in ET at Wembley vs Man U. Obviously playing with confidence... When I see Balo, it's the opposite. And yet Balo has more intangibles than anybody else.

@briansciaretta

Important matches in Serie B’s promotion as Como leads Venezia by just one point for automatic promotion.
- Venezia visits Catanzaro. Busio & Tessmann starting for Venezia
- Como hosting Cittadella with Gioacchini on the bench for Como
- Games just got underway

@briansciaretta

Important matches in Serie B’s promotion as Como leads Venezia by just one point for automatic promotion.
- Venezia visits Catanzaro. Busio & Tessmann starting for Venezia
- Como hosting Cittadella with Gioacchini on the bench for Como
- Games just got underway
Venezia lost 3-2 on an injury time pk. Como won so it looks like Venezia will be in the playoffs

Last edited:
Morris scores very late in first half of CCC semi finals. Crew up 3-2 on aggregate going into second half

Crew ends up winning 3-1 and 5-2 on aggregate against what has been arguably the best Concacaf team for many years. This might be the best road win ever for an MLS team in Mexico.

Crew advance to final, which is a single game against Pachuca who will host the game.

========================

Brian Sciaretta
@BrianSciaretta

NO.

Let me rephrase that....

Hell No!
So who then?

So who?
The guys who have performed for country.

I'm probably on an island, but I really don't care that much about club performance. One only needs to looks at McKennie, Dest, Pulisic, Weah, and Gio to find guys who had long club dry spells and played outstanding for the USMNT. I've seen enough of Sarge in the Stars and Bars doing nothing that I don't need to see it again. I don't need to see a guy a step behind and not a compliment to Pulisic and Gio.

========================

Brian Sciaretta
@BrianSciaretta

NO.

Let me rephrase that....

Hell No!
So who then?

So who?

I'm probably on an island, but I really don't care that much about club performance. One only needs to looks at McKennie, Dest, Pulisic, Weah, and Gio to find guys who had long club dry spells and played outstanding for the USMNT. I've seen enough of Sarge in the Stars and Bars doing nothing that I don't need to see it again. I don't need to see a guy a step behind and not a compliment to Pulisic and Gio.
You didn't say who.

Well... It is the silliest part of pre silly season.

He's still youngish, right? Like 22? He's been good on a good team... So it makes sense to hear bigger clubs sniffing around.

I hyoer focused watching him 2 or 3 games on TV- which has obvious problems for tracking a position that's often off screen- and have mentioned my own take on him.

========================

Brian Sciaretta
@BrianSciaretta

NO.

Let me rephrase that....

Hell No!
So who then?

So who?

You didn't say who.
Balo, Pepi, Jesus, Zardes....or pretty much anyone who plays striker for the USMNT and actually puts the ball between the pipes on occasion.

========================

Brian Sciaretta
@BrianSciaretta

NO.

Let me rephrase that....

Hell No!
So who then?

So who?

You didn't say who.
Balo, Pepi, Jesus, Zardes....or pretty much anyone who plays striker for the USMNT and actually puts the ball between the pipes on occasion.
Pepi and Jesus on your list then... Especially if they're playing lower rated teams. Both guys ahead of everybody else.

Jesus hasn't featured in a while, so Pepi it is. I'm good with Pepi (and can't believe I forgot him with as much PSV as I've watched).

========================

Brian Sciaretta
@BrianSciaretta

NO.

Let me rephrase that....

Hell No!
So who then?

So who?

You didn't say who.
Pepi and Jesus on your list then... Especially if they're playing lower rated teams. Both guys ahead of everybody else.

Jesus hasn't featured in a while, so Pepi it is. I'm good with Pepi (and can't believe I forgot him with as much PSV as I've watched).
I'd be OK with Sarge as a bench warmer, I just don't think he deserves minutes at the expense of Balo, Haji, Jesus, or Pepi. IMO you don't lose your USMNT spot based on club results. It would be like sitting Gio just because he hasn't played much this year.

========================

Brian Sciaretta
@BrianSciaretta

NO.

Let me rephrase that....

Hell No!
So who then?

So who?

You didn't say who.

I'd be OK with Sarge as a bench warmer, I just don't think he deserves minutes at the expense of Balo, Haji, Jesus, or Pepi. IMO you don't lose your USMNT spot based on club results. It would be like sitting Gio just because he hasn't played much this year.
Nobody's really popped for country the last couple cycles of games. And I'm not going back 2 years to lump Jesus and all his goals vs minnows in there. Forwards are finicky and confidence-dependent- that's why I want guys who are scoring goals anywhere over guys who aren't.

This might open up some interesting choices if GGG wants to cap tie some one on the fringe...

=======

All About Argentina

@AlbicelesteTalk

JUST IN: The squad size for the Copa America is likely to be increased from 23 to 26 players.

CONMEBOL is expected to officially confirm this soon

I'm watching Fulham v Brentford.

Jedi has been fantastic so far in the first half. Touch is on (you never know with him) and he's been absolutely shutting down his man defensively.

I like to do this process every so often while acknowledging that current form effects much of my thinking. The process also sometimes involves trying to fit a square peg into a round hole since the formations have morphed over the years.

Keeper: I would take any of Howard, Friedel and Keller (and maybe even Meola) over the talent group we have now.

LB: I remain steadfast that Jedi is the best LB we have ever had. I recognize he is far from Maldini and I have much love for what DMB turned himself into during the second phase of his career but Jedi has been a rock.
RB: This one is really close. Cherundolo was the better two way full back, but Dest is so far ahead of any RB we have ever had offensively that it is not even a discussion on that side of the ball.
CB: With Ream effectively aging out, I feel like we could find many CB's from the past (Dooley, Pope, Demerit, GGG, Bocanegra, Gooch, Cameron etc etc) and they would slot in as well or better than the CB's we have now

DM: This is another close one and it is between two incredibly different styles, between Adams and Papa Reyna. Adams injury history may give the edge to Reyna here.

CM: From our current group, I love Weston. I think he would be a near first choice no matter who was available. There are some from the past would press to start over our current batch: players like Bradley, Papa Reyna (again), Germany Jones, and Holden

Wingers: Pulisic is an instant start from the current batch but I am unsure anyone else from the current generation would be an instant start. Donovan, DMB (the younger version), Ramos (in today's formations Tab would be a winger), and maybe even Stewart would all press the Weah's/Aaronson's for starting roles.

Striker: While not a traditional 9, it would be really hard not to see a prime Dempsey starting over all our current choices.

=================================

so as I stand today, I could make an arguement that I would only start 3 players from our current squad on an all time team. This would quickly rise to 5 if Adams could stay healthy and Dest could be trusted defensively.

Venezia now 2 points back from auto promotion with one game to play.

Venezia holds the tie breaker (assuming it is GD), so a win by Venezia and a draw or worse for Como and Venezia goes up.

Users who are viewing this thread