What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (6 Viewers)

Juve had been pursuing Kalvin Phillips and Hojbjerg, which meant more competition for Swag. They've apparently abandoned interest in both over fee and wage concerns.

I also saw news/rumor that Juve were trying to extend Swags contract.

St Louis has picked up one my former favorite youth players, Chris Durkin (the missing 6) from DC.

The last I heard, he was playing in Belgium, but then I lost track.

I really had high hopes for him pushing into the senior team as a 6. Was so silky and strong... Like shampoo... For the youth US teams.

Steffen and Mihailovic both to Rapids. What a coup for Colorado.
Both of these are now officially official.

This is a hopefully good move for Steffen who has to find playing time any where he can get it. And with relatively few if any keepers emerging, he may still be our #2 if he gets back in the groove again.

This is probably not a good move for Mihailovic but there appears to be outside issues he is dealing with that helped force the move back to the US.

Juve had been pursuing Kalvin Phillips and Hojbjerg, which meant more competition for Swag. They've apparently abandoned interest in both over fee and wage concerns.

I also saw news/rumor that Juve were trying to extend Swags contract.
Weston has been such a work horse.

He is now 4th in league minutes for Juve this year and two guys ahead of him have only played 18 more minutes than he has all season.

Part of this has been his good health all year. Only 2 players on the entire team have played all 19 league games and Weston is one of the two.

Reyna started in a club friendly (mix of regulars and subs for Dortmund) against AZ Alkmar today. Available info is sparse, but random Twitter dude said he's playing in a double pivot?!?!

Obviously doesn't mean anything in terms of getting playing time with Dortmund going forward, but maybe showcasing him for a loan.
Cole Campbell who is a 2006 came off the bench for Dortmund in this game. He's a wing.
So Cole made his debut in a friendly with Dortmund and then got busted for breaking curfew. I guess it comes with the territory for 17-year olds but ffs can we not have a model citizen every once in a while

I think Andy has mentioned him before, but American born 2007 striker Dino Klapija moved to RB Leipzig for €5.2m. He's been playing in Croatia but came up through the NYCFC academy. He was last in a US U16 camp like 2 years ago but since has been playing for Croatia. Seems good news to get him out of Croatia but I think he's preliminarily cap-tied to them now.

https://twitter.com/tombogert
Tom Bogert

@tombogert

Sources: The San Jose Earthquakes and Chivas have agreed to a $4m deal for USMNT winger Cade Cowell, but the deal is not yet being finalized. Close, but not there yet. Personal terms not yet set. On top of $4m fee, deal incl. add-ons + SJ holding sell-on %

Additionally: The Europa League club that continues to pursue Cade Cowell is AEK Athens, sources say. Athens is managed by former San Jose head coach Matias Almeyda

This is a lot of money for a Mexican team to pay for an American player from MLS. I assume it is by far the largest of its kind..

==============================

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

CF Monterrey has officially signed USMNT forward Brandon Vazquez from FC Cincinnati. Rayados paying up to $8.5m, per sources. Cincy retain sell-on clause. Vazquez: “Cincinnati, I have been so grateful for your support since day one. I just want to say thank you.”

This is a lot of money for a Mexican team to pay for an American player from MLS. I assume it is by far the largest of its kind..

Tom Bogert

@tombogert

CF Monterrey has officially signed USMNT forward Brandon Vazquez from FC Cincinnati. Rayados paying up to $8.5m, per sources. Cincy retain sell-on clause. Vazquez: “Cincinnati, I have been so grateful for your support since day one. I just want to say thank you.”
Not sure what this move does for him, tbh. Higher wages?

Tom Bogert
@tombogert

Not sure what this move does for him, tbh. Higher wages?
It has to be better wages I assume. The leagues/teams that would have been interested in Vasquez in Europe probably would not have paid him too much more than he was already making.

He made $1m last season in Cincy.

Musah and Pulisic both started for AC Milan in the Copa Italia. Good to see Musah healthy and right back into the sqaud.
Looks like they both went 90 in the loss/elimination. Good news/bad news.
I watched the second half..... Pulisic seemed to be playing CAM and he was good. Again... probably their only real threat. Musah played RM or RW? Hard to tell what their formation was.... anyway..... he was terrible. Literally stood out as maybe the worst player on the field. Certainly wasn't his favored position, but again... he was poor enough that you understood why Valencia was willing to part with him.

Musah and Pulisic both started for AC Milan in the Copa Italia. Good to see Musah healthy and right back into the sqaud.
I watched the second half..... Pulisic seemed to be playing CAM and he was good. Again... probably their only real threat. Musah played RM or RW? Hard to tell what their formation was.... anyway..... he was terrible. Literally stood out as maybe the worst player on the field. Certainly wasn't his favored position, but again... he was poor enough that you understood why Valencia was willing to part with him.
Thanks

Seems awfully harsh indictment of Musah based on one half of play. He's looked very good and improving the games I've watched, despite some stumbles and off moments.

Yikes.

I did not watch game but I saw his stats and his rating (7.5) and just assumed he had a solid game, especially when they used 5 subs and he was not one of them. He was Milan's 3rd highest rated player yesterday. I guess it goes to show that the ratings and the eye test don't always align.

Yikes.

I did not watch game but I saw his stats and his rating (7.5) and just assumed he had a solid game, especially when they used 5 subs and he was not one of them. He was Milan's 3rd highest rated player yesterday. I guess it goes to show that the ratings and the eye test don't always align.
Like I mentioned... I only watched a half and he could've been very good in the first. Where did you see that rating at? I'm shocked anyone from Milan would've gotten a 7 or better in ratings given that they were easily second best in that game. Atalanta outplayed them pretty obviously IMO.

Yikes.

Like I mentioned... I only watched a half and he could've been very good in the first. Where did you see that rating at? I'm shocked anyone from Milan would've gotten a 7 or better in ratings given that they were easily second best in that game. Atalanta outplayed them pretty obviously IMO.
I only got to watch the very end, but people in the Milan sub were calling for Musah to be taken out at halftime, so the hoi polloi at least didn't seem to think he was particularly good in the first.

Dortmund have signed two new players this winter. I have not seen any rumors about Gio leaving but I am still expecting it.
Where do we think he should go? Like what level? Still big 5 or the next tier? I could see him fitting well in LaLiga, for a bottom half team (please no relegation battle). I also wouldn't be upset if he dropped down a level and got good minutes and built some confidence in a lower league on a good team. Altho I don't think he'd fit in the Championship (England), that league is brutally physical.

Dortmund have signed two new players this winter. I have not seen any rumors about Gio leaving but I am still expecting it.
Where do we think he should go? Like what level? Still big 5 or the next tier? I could see him fitting well in LaLiga, for a bottom half team (please no relegation battle). I also wouldn't be upset if he dropped down a level and got good minutes and built some confidence in a lower league on a good team. Altho I don't think he'd fit in the Championship (England), that league is brutally physical.
my hope would be a mid tier Bundesliga team or maybe a top Dutch team.

my hope would be a mid tier Bundesliga team or maybe a top Dutch team.
This.

I saw something about the coach mentioning how he preferred the defensive abilities of his other options, which is why Gio has been sitting.

Holland would hide that deficiency... A good and bad thing, but would likely allow him to shine. Staying in Bundie would help hone that... Unless his attitude sucks and he doesn't want to work on it (you'd think he'd be doing everything possible to do that at Dortmund).

Either way, he needs to play.

Yikes.

Have you watched him this season? The "this is why Valencia didn't want him" comment felt awfully harsh to me based on what I've seen this season and last (with Valencia).

Yikes.

Have you watched him this season? The "this is why Valencia didn't want him" comment felt awfully harsh to me based on what I've seen this season and last (with Valencia).
I have watched more than half of the Milan games this year and seen quite a bit of Musah and I am in general agreement with you. He still has not, even at his best, figured out how to get involved more in goals but outside of that I think he has been very very solid (which is why when healthy he keeps getting a ton of minutes). If he was playing bad all season as it appears he played yesterday, he would have lost his spot IMO.

I am a little confused on the "did not want him" comment. Valencia did not release him, they sold him for a decent transfer fee which is what teams at Valencia's level always have to do to survive.

Last edited:
Here is Sciaretta's take on Musah yesterday

======

First, AC Milan dropped a 2-1 decision to Atalanta at home in the Coppa Italia quarterfinal. Christian Pulisic and Yunus Musah each went 90 minutes in the loss with Musah playing right wingback for most of the game. Sometimes players get pushed into a second position, but Musah is not showing much promise in this role. He wasn’t bad, but he is a central midfielder first, winger second, and wingback third. There is an enormous gap between each of these positions.

Yeah, my phone seems determined to mess up every time I try to post the link, but Wes played a dime. And the vision and patience displayed to wait for Milic (who had played the big switch to Wes from deep in the first place) was even better than the execution. That’s a big boy assist. De Bruyne ****.

One thing I'm noticing with Wes is that his responsibilities with Juve are pretty different than what we're accustomed to seeing him do for the USMNT. He is, 100 percent, a mezzala for Juve. He's not at all a box to box guy. He very much operates in the half space between where a 10 might be and the wing. Defensively, that helps him press fairly high, but with the ball, it's a much more disciplined role than I think of him doing with the Nats. And a system I can't really remember an American team really playing.

Watching again, I think it's even a little better. It looks like Wes wants to hit a similar ball a shade earlier to Weah, who is calling for it. Wes doesn't quite have the space on the defender, so he does a little ball roll. Weah, intelligently, drops back a bit to keep from drifting offside, freeing MIlic to arrive late and then Wes pulls the trigger. It's a pretty, pretty sequence in all respects.

LOL, one of the idiot USMNT Twitter fan accounts said that "USMNT fans have seen McKennie hit that pass for the USMNT 1000 times." I must not be a fan, because I have never seen Wes hit that type of pass for the US. Some big switches from central midfield? Sure. An early cross from 30 yards out on a line to a back-post runner? Literally never.

LOL, one of the idiot USMNT Twitter fan accounts said that "USMNT fans have seen McKennie hit that pass for the USMNT 1000 times." I must not be a fan, because I have never seen Wes hit that type of pass for the US. Some big switches from central midfield? Sure. An early cross from 30 yards out on a line to a back-post runner? Literally never.
1000x? No. Literally never? Also no. I've definitely seen him hit that ball for the US. Even recently... Maybe in the tres a zero match? I mean, "dropping dimes" was pulled straight from his 17yo hype vid that gave him the Swag name.

And I think he's settling into that role for Juve as they try to get the most out of him... But he's been kind of all over the field for them this season, including a lot of games at Weahs wing back.

I mean, I suppose we can go through all five of Weston's assists for the USMNT to see if he's made that play for them.
Well, he made have made the pass and it didn't turn into an assist. Did he play with Wondo at all?
He’s the only guy that regularly switches fields for us, so while he might not have assists like this, he’s certainly gotten it to CP or Dest or Jedi on the wings like that. Besides for his heading it might be his biggest strength.

I mean, I suppose we can go through all five of Weston's assists for the USMNT to see if he's made that play for them.
He was not credited with an assist but this was a very similar type of play that resulted in the winner against Iran in the WC.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread