What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (3 Viewers)

From US Soccer lineup notes

At 19 years, 319 days, Jalen Neal becomes the youngest center back to appear for the USMNT in a knockout round match. He beats out Steve Pecher, who started in central defense for the USA in a World Cup qualifying playoff with Canada on Dec. 22, 1976 in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.

OptaJack
https://twitter.com/OptaJack
@OptaJack

The @USMNT's starting XI vs. Canada averages 11.7 caps entering the match. The only times the U.S. has named a less experienced side in a knockout match in the last 65 years was in the 2009 Gold Cup (all 3 knockout matches). Opportunities.
This would mean more to me if several of the guys with few caps weren't dead ends. We have a 29 year old with the fewest caps of anyone on the pitch ffs

From US Soccer lineup notes

At 19 years, 319 days, Jalen Neal becomes the youngest center back to appear for the USMNT in a knockout round match. He beats out Steve Pecher, who started in central defense for the USA in a World Cup qualifying playoff with Canada on Dec. 22, 1976 in Port-au-Prince, Haiti.
Ok so I had to look this up (the underlined)

In 1978 qualifying, the US, Canada and Mexico were a 3 team group.

The group finished with everyone on 4 points. Mexico won group with better GD.

The only tie breaker back then was GD and the US and Canada were level on GD (US did have more goals though)

So one extra game was played on neutral ground. Canada won 3-0 and advanced to final round with Mexico. US was done early.

OptaJack
@OptaJack

The @USMNT's starting XI vs. Canada averages 11.7 caps entering the match. The only times the U.S. has named a less experienced side in a knockout match in the last 65 years was in the 2009 Gold Cup (all 3 knockout matches). Opportunities.
This would mean more to me if several of the guys with few caps weren't dead ends. We have a 29 year old with the fewest caps of anyone on the pitch ffs
Yes.

But there are obviously extenuating circumstances. He did not get naturalized until just this year. He clearly would have had a handful of caps this past decade if he was a citizen.

OptaJack
@OptaJack

Yes.

But there are obviously extenuating circumstances. He did not get naturalized until just this year. He clearly would have had a handful of caps this past decade if he was a citizen.
I'm not trying to bag on Gressel but he's not going to be a factor at all going forward.

I get that Cade has a role to play going forward and Gressel probably doesn’t. But that role is probably “impact sub” so why not get him more reps in that precise role in a knockout game?

At least, that’s my BJ apologist take.

Stupid Mexican hotel TV isn't carrying the game.

Sounds like I didn't miss anything, based on your guys comments.

Are the US creating anything? Stats show significant possession edge.

Users who are viewing this thread