What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Men's National Team (7 Viewers)

With no thought to tactical fit. Nips is the one winger (Lletget too if he hadn’t gotten hurt) who can play as the  when Pulisic wants to head to the flanks. I wish his final ball was more consistent too, but workrate and a Hugh soccer IQ matters too. 
I don't think anybody is calling nips the second coming, but he's been a consistent and good pro and youth for the things you've mentioned. I like him better when he's going at games, and not playing the easy/safe ball. and I don't like him when his final ball is off... which is too much. but he's a guy that consistently puts himself in the situations to be there to make that pass- very few guys in the US who do that as well and consistently as him. no offense to fafa, but I haven't seen that from him- even his upside might be higher, he's disappeared completely in games I've seen with him (limited).

all of that said, the lineup I posted above doesn't need nips, unless caillou is removed and cp is pushed more centrally ahead of swagadams

With no thought to tactical fit. Nips is the one winger (Lletget too if he hadn’t gotten hurt) who can play as the  when Pulisic wants to head to the flanks. I wish his final ball was more consistent too, but workrate and a Hugh soccer IQ matters too. 
I don't think anybody is calling nips the second coming, but he's been a consistent and good pro and youth for the things you've mentioned. I like him better when he's going at games, and not playing the easy/safe ball. and I don't like him when his final ball is off... which is too much. but he's a guy that consistently puts himself in the situations to be there to make that pass- very few guys in the US who do that as well and consistently as him. no offense to fafa, but I haven't seen that from him- even his upside might be higher, he's disappeared completely in games I've seen with him (limited).

all of that said, the lineup I posted above doesn't need nips, unless caillou is removed and cp is pushed more centrally ahead of swagadams
I think the conversation Fafa is looking for is....

Why Lewis over him?  He brings the same game as Lewis with a bit more polish and is a much more willing defender.  

Why Lewis over him?  He brings the same game as Lewis with a bit more polish and is a much more willing defender.  
I know Fafa got a look under Jurgen, but has Berhalter given him a good long look?  Did he get an invite to January camp?

Brian Sciaretta‏ @BrianSciaretta

Sebastian Soto and Chris Golster both start and play the first half for Hannover in a 4-0 preseason win vs. 5th-tire FC Wunstorf. Neither American was part of any of the goals.

The kid simply has no clue what it means to be a pro.  :( . It seems like a different issue every week

===========

Doug Roberson‏Verified account @DougRobersonAJC

#ATLUTD has a 6-man bench tonight b/c Carleton didn't have his passport when he met the team for the trip
I fear he's going to spend most of his adult years in some crappy job wondering why he was such an idiot to blow a chance of a lifetime....

===========

“Those kinds of things you have influence on and he doesn’t understand right now that’s something he has to learn and take the responsibility,” de Boer said. “Sometimes you have to learn it the hard way.”

De Boer said that until Carleton “shows forgiveness and that he’s improving” he will play with Atlanta United 2. Carleton, a 19-year-old native of Powder Springs, did travel with Atlanta United 2 for Thursday night’s game at Loudon.

Atlanta United captain Michael Parkhurst said he and other veterans on the team have had several conversations with Carleton and the team’s  other younger players about professionalism.

“We all want the best for Andy,” Parkhurst said. “Hopefully he plays for another 15-20 years, but the reality is some guys don’t. They don’t get out of it. Hopefully, lessons are learned along the way. Among that first group of Homegrowns, we need guys to understand the reality and step up and take advantage of opportunities.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Ned said:

I think we can ask why Lewis over... just about anybody? I think NYCFC seems to have already answered that.

I fear he he's going to spend most of his adult years in some crappy job wondering why he was such an idiot to blow a chance of a lifetime....

===========

“Those kinds of things you have influence on and he doesn’t understand right now that’s something he has to learn and take the responsibility,” de Boer said. “Sometimes you have to learn it the hard way.”

De Boer said that until Carleton “shows forgiveness and that he’s improving” he will play with Atlanta United 2. Carleton, a 19-year-old native of Powder Springs, did travel with Atlanta United 2 for Thursday night’s game at Loudon.

Atlanta United captain Michael Parkhurst said he and other veterans on the team have had several conversations with Carleton and the team’s  other younger players about professionalism.

“We all want the best for Andy,” Parkhurst said. “Hopefully he plays for another 15-20 years, but the reality is some guys don’t. They don’t get out of it. Hopefully, lessons are learned along the way. Among that first group of Homegrowns, we need guys to understand the reality and step up and take advantage of opportunities.”
send carleton that freddy story. 

are we hearing anything specific about what the kid's doing? in training/games and such. he appears to do lots of stupid stuff off the field (the passport thing recently).

Please dear god, stick and impress

=======================

ChuckMe92 Soccer‏ @ChuckMe92Soccer

Nothing but good reviews from the Celtic die-hards for 22-year-old LB Andrew Gutman in his friendly start. Interesting player to monitor given the performances of Ream and Lovitz. Their next friendly is Tuesday against St. Gallen and Jonathan Klinsmann

I have to say, if Berhalter crashes and burns, we could do a lot worse than get Almeyda as a replacement.  His complete reconstruction of a poor SJ side has been amazing.

SJ lost their first 4 games of the season (3 of which were at home) by a combined 14-2 margin.

After beating LA Galaxy tonight 3-0, they have moved up to 5th in the West.

I have to say, if Berhalter crashes and burns, we could do a lot worse than get Almeyda as a replacement.  His complete reconstruction of a poor SJ side has been amazing.

SJ lost their first 4 games of the season (3 of which were at home) by a combined 14-2 margin.

After beating LA Galaxy tonight 3-0, they have moved up to 5th in the West.
I’m not sure MLS success will matter as we gain more and more champions league players.   (Theoretically)

I’m not sure MLS success will matter as we gain more and more champions league players.   (Theoretically)
He has won every where he has coached including Argentina and Mexico.   IMO, having good MLS knowledge will always be important whether a lot of players on the National team play in MLS or just a few.

The Gloster to PSV story mentioned yesterday is picking up steam

=============

USMNT Videos‏ @USMNTvideos

PSV's most reliable source, Rik Elfrink is now reporting that PSV has serious interest in Gloster. He says the plan is to get an older LB and have Gloster be the understudy and start off with Jong PSV but also be the future PSV left-back.

Additionally, Aziz Behich has moved to Basaksehir. Angelino has moved back to Manchester City. And, Kenneth Paal has moved permanently to PEC Zwolle. That's three LBs from PSV that have left the club. They seem to want to sign Gloster and a more experienced one

Speaking of Almeyda, he biggest reclamation project seems to have been putting Tommy Thompson at RB of all places and TT has been playing great there.

========

Future USMNT‏ @FutureUsmnt 33m33 minutes ago

More

Tommy Thompson (23) vs. LA Galaxy:

90 Minutes Played

82% Passing Accuracy

60 Touches

9 Ball Recoveries

8 Duels Won

4 Dribbles Completed

4 Interceptions

3/3 Tackles Won

2 Long Balls Completed

1 Key Pass

1 Foul Drawn

1 Goal

1 Clean Sheet

Different player under Matias Almeyda

Have we talked about that 3rd Haiti goal last night?  Great vision and execution on the pass into the box, but the control and finish was [RHE] :kissesfingertips: [/RHE].

Have we talked about that 3rd Haiti goal last night?  Great vision and execution on the pass into the box, but the control and finish was [RHE] :kissesfingertips: [/RHE].
Was so pretty

https://www.clippituser.tv/c/apnagb

A handful of these guys are going to get moves to bigger clubs I think.  They are almost all lower division players if memory serves.  I saw how well Costa Rica played last night against Mexico, so for Haiti to have won that group is pretty impressive.

I guess I’d prefer an elite European coach if I had the option.
You responded to the wrong post I think but your general sentiment is fair.

I have a bias towards South American coaches as I like the style and the US has never employed a South American coach before.

Warms my nether regions

============================

Brian Sciaretta‏ @BrianSciaretta

Getting caught up on watching yesterday’s games. For his age, Leyva showed a lot. After winning the MVP for the Sounders U-17 team at the GA Cup and now this, he’s made some big strides this year. Good to see.

Another point: the # of players eligible for the US 2021 U-20 team playing in MLS this season is staggering: Araujo, Basset, Busio, Roberts, Yow, Alvarez*, Reynolds, Anderson, Haak, Arriaga, AOC, Bello. 

Add in that Pepi and Levya are eligible for US 2023 U-20 team.

Just watched the T&T game.

Man, Arriola was not good.  Great pace, plays smart...but does not have the talent to finish or create.   He'll be outclassed against top 20 countries and needs to find the bench in qualifying.

Steffen was solid.  This was the first game from him that gives me the confidence that most of you have.

Pulisic is our most skilled player since Reyna.  He was by far the best player on the field.  That second half was something to behold.

Swag is a stud.  Love his fire and aggression.   It feels like he's not quite as heady as he could be with spacing and runs, but he's obviously young and I expect/hope that will change.

We've got to figure out our back line, but I like what Lima brings to the table.  Yedlin and Brooks should solve some of our problems back there.  

Zardes just seems to fit in Berhalter's system and he has the class around him to receive the service to pay him off.   I expect he'll be a mainstay throughout Berhalter's tenure and I'm good with that.  He may actually be a better fit than Jozy despite Jozy's superior class.

Bradley was solid and had his usual moments of class, but I expect him to melt against the Mexicos of the world.

I really want to see Dest, Pomykal and Weah brought up.  They've got double the upside of some of the guys starting and certainly most of the bench.   My fear is Berhalter is going to be too conservative and reward the Arriola's and Morris' of the world for putting the time in, when we should be working our top talents into Berhalter's system.   I'm sure the Sargent disaster doesn't help.  Hopefully he gets the kids up for the next round of friendlies...no sense in meddling with mediocrity.

It is pretty interesting because TT is starting at RB while Lima, who plays RB for the US was shifted over to LB at SJ by Almeyda.
I'd like to see Lima get a few games at LB once Yedlin comes back.  If he can play similar to what we've seen in this tourney on the left side, he'll be light years better than any other option we have there right now.

Users who are viewing this thread