What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

US Government takes further steps against online Sports Streaming (1 Viewer)

gandalas

Footballguy
http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/03/03/agents-arrest-alleged-streaming-website-operator-bryan-mccarthy/

Agents Arrest Alleged Streaming Website Operator Bryan McCarthy

3/03/2011 5:53 PM ET By Matt Erickson

The UFC has another notch on its belt in the effort to shut down sites that illegally stream its events.

Bryan McCarthy, 32, of Deer Park, Texas, was taken into custody and has been charged with one count of criminal infringement of a copyright, according to a release by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Homeland Security Investigations. McCarthy allegedly operated channelsurfing.net, a site that was seized by federal authorities last month.

According to the release, investigators determined McCarthy made more than $90,000 in profits from online advertisers at the site, which allegedly offered pirated telecasts of the UFC, WWE, NFL, NBA, NHL and other professional organizations.

"Today's arrest is another step forward in the ongoing investigation by New York HSI agents into copyright infringement and theft of intellectual property rights," said James T. Hayes, special agent in charge of HSI in New York. "We will continue to investigate illegal streaming of programming on the Internet in an effort to preserve legitimate and creative business interests and deter others from engaging in online piracy."

The ICE and HSI release says McCarthy registered the domain in December 2005 and operated it out of his Texas home. McCarthy faces a maximum of five years in prison. The case is being handled by the Southern District of New York's Complex Frauds Unit.

Wow. Sending a message.

Poor guy really has no defense. Hope he saved some of that 90k for a lawyer

charged with one count of criminal infringement of a copyright, according to a release by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Homeland Security Investigations.
Why would they be in charge of a copyright infringement?

In the end, all this will do is lead to streaming websites being hosted overseas, just as all the still existing torrent sites are.

Basically, if you live in the US, you can't host these type of things, but if you live in the Netherlands, there is nothing they can do about it, absent blocking all US access to the site (which I don't know how feasible that option is).

There is a reason that thepiratebay.org still exists and pretty much all the other big sites have been shut down.

'Hoosier16 said:
charged with one count of criminal infringement of a copyright, according to a release by the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Homeland Security Investigations.
Homeland Security is in charge of damn near everything now. A lot of different agencies have been made part of it and it has expanded far beyond what DHS was created for (see page 2). Hell, they seize 'unauthorized' NFL jerseys from stores now.

'gandalas said:
In the end, all this will do is lead to streaming websites being hosted overseas, just as all the still existing torrent sites are.Basically, if you live in the US, you can't host these type of things, but if you live in the Netherlands, there is nothing they can do about it, absent blocking all US access to the site (which I don't know how feasible that option is).There is a reason that thepiratebay.org still exists and pretty much all the other big sites have been shut down.
The reason is that the US govt lets them. They can block anyone and block tons of sites already. The only advice I feel comfy giving is "be smart."When they took down Napster, their next step was to go after the most frequent users-a select group that seemed to download thousands and thousands of songs. I'm curious if they go after those channelsurfing users that used it extremely often. Every site has a list of IP addresses that visited there and they surely could have that info quite easily.stealing is stealing, doesn't matter how you dress it up. I am so NOT being judgmental here.

'Hoosier16 said:
Homeland Security is in charge of damn near everything now. A lot of different agencies have been made part of it and it has expanded far beyond what DHS was created for (see page 2). Hell, they seize 'unauthorized' NFL jerseys from stores now.
What type of lawyer was Goodell before he became commish?

stealing is stealing, doesn't matter how you dress it up.
Is recording a game and skipping the commercials when you watch it "stealing"? The networks would like the courts to think it is.
didn't you pay for the cable/satellite service for such a privilege? Don't they all provide subscribers with a DVR now?
Content providers don't want to let you use a DVR; they are paid by their advertisers, who will give them less money if the commercials aren't viewed. Content providers didn't want to let you use a VCR, either.

Is recording a game and skipping the commercials when you watch it "stealing"? The networks would like the courts to think it is.
didn't you pay for the cable/satellite service for such a privilege? Don't they all provide subscribers with a DVR now?
Content providers don't want to let you use a DVR; they are paid by their advertisers, who will give them less money if the commercials aren't viewed. Content providers didn't want to let you use a VCR, either.
sounds like those folks will be demanding I click on a banner ad next

sounds like those folks will be demanding I click on a banner ad next
They'd like to. I'm just pointing out that "stealing" is an emotionally charged word which isn't really accurate when talking about content, and there is not a global consensus as to what constitutes appropriate use of broadcast content. [Though I think this particular case will be found to be a breach of copyright.]

Dana White must be happy. For now.

Channelsurfing.eu exists and likely will continue to rain on his parade (as will 1000 other sites).

The demand is there, and it will be met (and not for the $60/fight card or $300/yr for the NFL Package, etc). But, at least the US Gvt can flex its muscles and think that it's doing the right thing to curb this activity.

'gandalas said:
In the end, all this will do is lead to streaming websites being hosted overseas, just as all the still existing torrent sites are.Basically, if you live in the US, you can't host these type of things, but if you live in the Netherlands, there is nothing they can do about it, absent blocking all US access to the site (which I don't know how feasible that option is).There is a reason that thepiratebay.org still exists and pretty much all the other big sites have been shut down.
The reason is that the US govt lets them. They can block anyone and block tons of sites already. The only advice I feel comfy giving is "be smart."When they took down Napster, their next step was to go after the most frequent users-a select group that seemed to download thousands and thousands of songs. I'm curious if they go after those channelsurfing users that used it extremely often. Every site has a list of IP addresses that visited there and they surely could have that info quite easily.stealing is stealing, doesn't matter how you dress it up. I am so NOT being judgmental here.
http://iwouldntsteal.net/It's the only way I can watch games.

Dana White must be happy. For now.Channelsurfing.eu exists and likely will continue to rain on his parade (as will 1000 other sites).The demand is there, and it will be met (and not for the $60/fight card or $300/yr for the NFL Package, etc). But, at least the US Gvt can flex its muscles and think that it's doing the right thing to curb this activity.
The older sister in different strokes?

Channelsurfing.eu exists and likely will continue to rain on his parade (as will 1000 other sites).

The demand is there, and it will be met (and not for the $60/fight card or $300/yr for the NFL Package, etc). But, at least the US Gvt can flex its muscles and think that it's doing the right thing to curb this activity.
Was there a younger one?

'Hoosier16 said:
They also shut down a few streaming sights, the great homeland securit...umm, they are kind of involved in everything . Don't be fooled by the government's "reasoning" when a new beauracracy is created, they will inevitably increase their power and reach their tenticles in all directions. I will put good money on it that the farm beauruea can most likely arrest you for some reason or another.

I'm just pointing out that "stealing" is an emotionally charged word which isn't really accurate when talking about content, and there is not a global consensus as to what constitutes appropriate use of broadcast content. [Though I think this particular case will be found to be a breach of copyright.]
How do you feel about comparing this to kids hiding in the trunk of cars to avoid paying at the drive-in 50(?) years ago?

Dana White must be happy. For now.Channelsurfing.eu exists and likely will continue to rain on his parade (as will 1000 other sites).The demand is there, and it will be met (and not for the $60/fight card or $300/yr for the NFL Package, etc). But, at least the US Gvt can flex its muscles and think that it's doing the right thing to curb this activity.
That's Dana Plato, Dana White played the church lady on SNL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm just pointing out that "stealing" is an emotionally charged word which isn't really accurate when talking about content, and there is not a global consensus as to what constitutes appropriate use of broadcast content. [Though I think this particular case will be found to be a breach of copyright.]
How do you feel about comparing this to kids hiding in the trunk of cars to avoid paying at the drive-in 50(?) years ago?
Similarly, the wronged party is losing a revenue opportunity rather than being stolen from. That doesn't make it right, but the moral consequences are different.

Not sure if you were joking or not, but that was actually Dana Carvey. Dana White is a champion high-diver. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Kunze

Not sure if you were joking or not, but that was actually Dana Carvey. Dana White is a champion high-diver. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dana_Kunze
:lmao:
sorry for the tangent
:lmao:

'gandalas said:
'belljr said:
'Bri said:
'cobalt_27 said:

Isn't Dana White the nookie girl on Wheel of Fortune?

'Bri said:
'cobalt_27 said:

UFC down?Dana White

He was one of the strongest advocates for government seizure of these streaming sites that would air the UFC Championship PPV fights for free over the net. So, he's happy about this news. On the other hand, he won't be able to catch up with everyone doing this. In fact, the guy that got caught, he'll be streaming UFC, NFL, everything else online from his newly-minted Euro site. He may be doing it from jail. But, he'll be pulling in $100k+ each year.

And, if he won't. Someone else will.

Stealing is indeed stealing, no matter how you dress it up. In my career working on both sides of these issues, I've seen thieves dress it up in a million ways and try to deflect responsiblity. Yet, the bottom line remains the same.

Stealing is indeed stealing, no matter how you dress it up. In my career working on both sides of these issues, I've seen thieves dress it up in a million ways and try to deflect responsiblity. Yet, the bottom line remains the same.
Stealing is stealing. Copyright infringement is copyright infringement. The two things are not the same. The bottom line is, if you steal something from me, I don't have it anymore, and if you copy something from me, I still do.

I'm pretty sure Dana White is Queen Latifah's given name.

no no she is Dana Owens... Dana Delaney is the Wheel of Fortune girl

Stealing is stealing. Copyright infringement is copyright infringement. The two things are not the same. The bottom line is, if you steal something from me, I don't have it anymore, and if you copy something from me, I still do.
This is more correct. Watching a game for free is more equivalent to sneaking into a game that's not sold out. Not saying that's right, but I wouldn't call it stealing.

Dana Delaney is the 2nd string TE on the 49ers.What any of this has to do with surfing channels is beyond me.

It's more complex than that. One crucial thing that is stolen is the intellectual property right to be the exclusive broadcaster, if the contract rights were exclusive.

It's more complex than that. One crucial thing that is stolen is the intellectual property right to be the exclusive broadcaster, if the contract rights were exclusive.
What if you have no access to the exclusive broadcast? Piss up a rope because it would hurt someone's feelings?

Wait.... isn't Vanna White still on the Wheel? Is Dana White her daughter? When did her daughter get on the Wheel?

Contractual rights can't be stolen, except in a metaphorical sense.If you say that streaming games is immoral, I won't argue with you. But it's not literally stealing: it's copyright infringement. It may be a distinction without a moral difference, but it's a distinction nonetheless. It renders the "stealing is stealing" rhetoric impotent. What people should say is that "copyright infringement is copyright infringement."

Similarly, the wronged party is losing a revenue opportunity rather than being stolen from. That doesn't make it right, but the moral consequences are different.
I think that (losing a revenue opportunity) is a bogus argument argument on the part of the copyright holder, be it the NFL, the MPAA, the RIAA, or whomever because there's no reliable data suggesting that people pirating something would have bought it otherwise. It's not lost revenue or a lost revenue opportunity. And the government really shouldn't be intervening to prop up the profits of a huge business or industry.

Cause there isn't a legitimate debate over the scope and existence of IP in general? At the heart of your moralization on the subject is the implicit belief in protecting non-tangible constructions - a concept that is entirely foreign in much of the world. Plus, US IP laws are heavily skewed towards corporations. Sure, people violating copyright protections are breaking the law, but that hardly means they're also acting immorally.

Users who are viewing this thread