What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

URGENT HELP NEEDED - breaking playoff tie (1 Viewer)

zoonation

Footballguy
Dear fantasy football enthusiasts,

For the first time in 10 years, our league has a tie in a playoff game. There is no specific written rule on how to break it. The commish proposes to use the regular season tie breaker rules that apply to seeding.

Thoughts or comments?

Dear fantasy football enthusiasts,

For the first time in 10 years, our league has a tie in a playoff game. There is no specific written rule on how to break it. The commish proposes to use the regular season tie breaker rules that apply to seeding.

Thoughts or comments?
With no rule in place, flip a coin...and fix your rules.

Have the same two teams play again week 15 and take the winners score against the team who they would have played week 15 if one of them would have won week 14.

Put rules in place!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have the same two teams play again week 15 and take the winners score against the team who they would have played week 15 if one of them would have won week 14.

Put rules in place!
that's a horrible decision and sucks for the guy who they would have to play against. He essentially has to beat two teams

Put rules in place!
Definitely not. In a HTH format, that's not fair to the opponent. He shouldn't have to scheme to outscore two different teams. He should be able to make informed decisions based on whether he is the favorite or underdog against a known opponent.

h2h
Total points
Common opponents
Points against
CoinFlip

Fix yo damn rules. :)

How about having em play each other in a simulated Mondays game, Daily League.. QB RB RB WR WR TE IF the teams match? add another WR, and so on..

Although I also agree w/ coinflip, even though its basically a lucky break..

Coin flip is the only reasonable answer here.
I don't see a way out of it.

Going forward, the 1st tie breaker should be reserve points.

In the event of a possible tie with backups, a good 2nd tiebreaker could be H-H for the season. So if you play 13 weeks, the team with the better H-H record over the 13 weeks goes on.

I suggest you have the two owners that are involved work it out via negotiation. If they are cool with it, don't let the rest of the league get involved. if they can't work it out, then its up to your commish. This is why a commish exists. If everything was perfect all the time they would never be a reason to have a commish. Its never a problem to collect ideas and thoughts from others, but if the two owners involved can't agree then your commish should make the decision and own it.

I suggest you have the two owners that are involved work it out via negotiation. If they are cool with it, don't let the rest of the league get involved. if they can't work it out, then its up to your commish. This is why a commish exists. If everything was perfect all the time they would never be a reason to have a commish. Its never a problem to collect ideas and thoughts from others, but if the two owners involved can't agree then your commish should make the decision and own it.
This

How about having em play each other in a simulated Mondays game, Daily League.. QB RB RB WR WR TE IF the teams match? add another WR, and so on..

Although I also agree w/ coinflip, even though its basically a lucky break..
Usually our tiebreaker is next highest scoring player on the bench.

In this case a Monday night dfs game seems ideal.

This
:thumbup:

I think the Monday night DFS idea is cool.

It has to be an answer though where the commish wouldn't be chosing a winner/loser. Something like "we'll break the tie based on bench points," or "we'll break the tie based on total points in the season" would immediately mean player X beats player Y. You have to give each player equal chance to win.

So betting on Monday night (either with the DFS idea, or both players taking opposite sides against the spread) seem like fun. If that doesn't work/is too complicatd to arrange in the next 10 hours, then coin flip.

Our playoff tie breaker is total yards from active players excluding QB, DST, and K....so in our league, 2 RB, 3 WR, a TE, and a flex.

I dont know the logic of why the QB position was excluded from this tie breaker. Its never happened in our league before though so the issue has never come up.

If you only use whole points for scoring, break the tie using decimal scoring (ie, a tenth of a point for each rushing or passing yard and whatever ratio you use for passing).

Going forward, the 1st tie breaker should be reserve points.
Sorry but I cannot disagree enough with this. You should not reward people for keeping 5 defenses and kickers on their bench!
We set rosters so that starters and reserves are the same. 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DT so it is no issue.

You may now agree with me as this separates a strong 18 man roster from a weak one.

Give it to the higher seeded team. Kind of like a home field advantage.
Absent anything else in the rules, I don't see a better solution than this.

One of my leagues has each playoff team rank four RB/WR/TE who are not starting. If there is a tie, the first player from Team A's list is compared with the first player from Team B's list. Higher score wins. If those two players have the same score, the second player is compared with the second player, and so on.

This was more of a necessity back when we had a non-PPR, TD-heavy scoring system. Ties have been extremely rare since we moved to PPR, 0.1 points per rush/rec yard and 0.025 points per passing yard. If you don't have a scoring system where every yard counts, you should consider moving to one.

Do you use decimal scoring? If not, use it for this game so at least the tiebreaker is still based on starter performances this week.

Id set up a poll..

answer A best answer to worst coin flip higher seed rap battle

answer b rap battle coin flip higher seed

etc.

(might get a consensus ) Considering the variance, and agreement factor

This is interesting we have no Rule for this, so i'm trying to decide what to impliment,

i feel these are the best tie breakers, H2h, Record, Points, The big question is what order do we put them in?

We didn't have decimal scoring our first 12-15 years. After the first tie (regular season) we adopted it. I think there have been only a handful of games decided by 2 points or less in the decade since.

Give it to the higher seeded team. Kind of like a home field advantage.
This is what my home league does. We've never had to use it in the now 20 years of the league, but almost had to in the Championship game last year (the #1seed ended up winning 56-55).

This
:thumbup:
Best solution here, but clearly neither team is going to agree to a solution which awards the opposite team with a victory, so you will be left with either a coin toss or something like a Monday Night DFS matchup.

Most importantly, address this with a rule change, and I suggest you not wait until the offseason. At minimum adopt a temporary provision for the interim period, on the off chance there is another tie during this post season.

Why should the regular season have anything to do with a tie game in the playoffs? Or bench players that never saw the field in the game, neither of those make any sense in one h2h match up. Total yards of the offensive players that were actually in the starting line up is the best way.

Regular season is over, it should not matter.

do you have divisions?

best score per division

total scoring in their past H2H games

of course you should already have decimal implemented

Find your biggest confidant in the league, maybe a past Commish etc. Do not include the owners in the game. Discuss, come to a decision, deliver the info, deal with it.

I would go with the highest seed but I would bring in a respected owner to assist you in this decision. Bring options layed out to them. If you have the time.

Be absolute but consider the future and set precedence. Or coin flip.

Find your biggest confidant in the league, maybe a past Commish etc. Do not include the owners in the game. Discuss, come to a decision, deliver the info, deal with it.

I would go with the highest seed but I would bring in a respected owner to assist you in this decision. Bring options layed out to them. If you have the time.

Be absolute but consider the future and set precedence. Or coin flip.
I posted my opinion above and said almost the exact opposite. I'm curious to hear your rational here. IMO it seems that giving the two involved owners a chance to both be happy with the decision is a best case scenario. Are you working under the assumption that it can't be an amiable negotiation?

Honestly, here is what I'd do. Assuming you don't have decimal scoring, I would score each team's points using decimal scoring and see who would have won. I would also see who is the higher seed. If the answer is the same team in both occassions, I would choose that team as the one to advance. If not, I would flip a coin.

Given that you have no rule, I think a coin flip is the only option unless the 2 teams work something out. You need a decision by Tuesday morning though.

I'd prefer decimal scoring. But higher seed is an interesting thought.

My league uses bench points, which I hate even though I have won the only instance it was used with me.

I agree on the 2 week playoff. Only use that when playoffs are formatted for it.

Given that you have no rule, I wouldn't like the idea of deciding the playoff game with some sort of metric that has already happened. Your current rules brought them to a tie. I think resorting to decimal scoring, bench points, total touchdowns, playoff seed, etc. will leave somebody feeling cheated.

I'd elect to decide it on some sort of contest. Monday night daily fantasy league, coin flip, over under - it doesn't really matter. The winner should have to "win" his place in the next round, not be awarded the place on some arbitrary standard that may or may not be fair.

These is one way which is similar to the bad idea posted in the beginning of the thread to have them play again next week, BUT:

Team A and Team B are tied this week. Their opponent will be Team C next week.

Team A and Team B play this week and the winner advances to play Team C EXCEPT that both Team A and Team B must beat Team C to advance.

If they both outscore Team C, he was losing no matter what happened, but this hurts both Teams A and Team B equally, while it doesn't hurt Team C.

I'm not sure I even like this idea, but it is an option.

Since you had no rule in place I don't think going to another stat would be fair to the loser as I'm sure that either owner could win depending on what stat is to be used. Just flip a coin and next year put a rule in place.

Users who are viewing this thread