What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Upside Keepers for Next Year (1 Viewer)

Kenny Powers

Footballguy
So about this time every year I start thinking about keepers, Im in a league where you can have 1 keeper. If undrafted, that keeper counts as a 14th round pick. If drafted, you can keep that player at the cost of the round you picked them in this/last year. Im guessing others are in a similar type keeper league. This is when I like to pick up a few FA's that may be much more productive next year for a few reasons:

-They may have had a season ending injury earlier so they're a FA

-They may be a backup who will be a starter next year so they're available

-They may be a FA or young player who will be in a better situation next year or have a lot of upside

Someone in my league picked up CJ Prosise last week because Im guessing they think he may start next year for instance. Im having trouble coming up with good options this year for this scenario. Im sure im missing some players though. What say you?

Last edited by a moderator:
Prosise is a good one.

Also Perkins, Bryant and H. Henry are guys who I've stashed away.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about Meredith in Chicago?  WR2 with the Bears or could he move to the #1 spot with Jeffery being UFA?

Eric Decker could be available...he's a productive guy and there's a chance the Jets could ax Marshall as well as having an upgrade at QB...

Guys like Dixon, Henry, Michael Thomas arent even close to being available I would think in most leagues. Certainly not mine

Guys like Dixon, Henry, Michael Thomas arent even close to being available I would think in most leagues. Certainly not mine
I think we are talking about different things here. I can keep 3 guys off my roster next season. Rest go back into the redraft pool. 

My apologies for not explaining my post. Dixon could potentially be drafted later in your league's draft next season if you can only keep one player. Potentially the same with Thomas, though less likely. I'd rather keep a player that could be amazing, but could be had late in a draft and deal with the 8th or later round draft cost, than a free agent flier who is likely available right now. I can't think of anyone in my 12 team league that is a free agent that I'd want to keep for my one keeper outside of maybe a Dion Lewis. But yes, guys like Dixon "are close" to being available in some leagues out there. It is always dangerous to assume things.

There were likely quite a few players like this in your draft this year, and Corey Coleman is a fine example of that. In my league last year, David Johnson was drafted in the 16th round. I'd rather keep Coleman in the 10th round than likely anyone that is a free agent in a typical 12 team league. That was my meaning; I should have explained more. I realize that wasn't probably exactly what you were going for.

We are pretty much on the same page blake. Guys who get hot or more time at the end of the year like Dixon arent usually available in this scenario. Typically its players who were either injured or underperformed that you can use a wildcard like this on.

Better dyno stash Savage or Barkley?
I'd say Barkley.  Better pedigree, and imo better talent.  Savage never impressed me as a legit NFL prospect, and it's hard to see Houston deciding he is the future.  I could invision Chicago deciding Barkley is good enough to manage through their rebuild, and that would give him a couple  seasons of solid fantasy value.

Savage is going to have to prove himself a lot over the next few weeks to convince me otherwise.

We are pretty much on the same page blake. Guys who get hot or more time at the end of the year like Dixon arent usually available in this scenario. Typically its players who were either injured or underperformed that you can use a wildcard like this on.
Ameer Abdullah, maybe? Lions are a trainwreck at RB so I have to imagine he'll step right back into the lead role in '17.

I like the M. Bryant call as well, although with only one keeper you're better off leaning RB than WR IMO as the pool of the latter is just so much deeper.

Martavis is exactly the type i was trying to think of, starter caliber player still on the WW due to injury/suspensions

Picked up Romo as a last man on the dyno bench move. I don't see him staying in Dallas and if he's traded to a prime destination (Denver? Houston?) he may be able to throw together a year or two. Low risk and first to get cut but......

If Boyd isn't rostered in your league he'd be worth a shot.

McCarron has a year to run on his contract so I can rule hime out.  

looking at injured guys 2 stood out:  Josh Doctson and Orleans Darkwa. maybe throw in Kevin White as well.

-QG

Picked up Romo as a last man on the dyno bench move. I don't see him staying in Dallas and if he's traded to a prime destination (Denver? Houston?) he may be able to throw together a year or two. Low risk and first to get cut but......
I love this idea.

What about Breshad Perriman or Kevin White? Damien Williams? I liked the Ameer Abdullah suggestion from someone above too.

On the Romo side, Andre Ellington could be in a different situation in 2017. 

I love this idea.

What about Breshad Perriman or Kevin White? Damien Williams? I liked the Ameer Abdullah suggestion from someone above too.

On the Romo side, Andre Ellington could be in a different situation in 2017. 
Not a White fan. Even for the brief moment when he was healthy, he was getting a lot of looks and wasn't doing a whole lot with it. Having said that, his QB situation could improve quite a bit IF this ended up being a Romo landing spot which it very well could. He went to school in Illinois so he may be very accepting of this location.

I do like Breshad but have never liked Flacco and that offense from a consistency stand point. Damien is JAG but if Ellington landed somewhere where he gets utilized properly (Green Bay or Indy?) I could see some good PPR value there.

My reply was pointed towards the OP but ok. I only quoted you because I liked the Romo recommendation. I like talented players...therefore, I like White. I just added Perriman in my league for keeper consideration, so I have @Kenny Powers to thank for starting this thread. Disagreed about Wiliams; it may be your opinion that he's just a guy, but it could be debated whether that is the consensus. 

If i only got one keeper I'd use it on my best player. If you keep some guy who's undrafted, but all of the top 10 players are gone when you draft, it's not really worth it.  Also, if I got Mike Evans not in the first round, I'd keep him.

Better dyno stash Savage or Barkley?
Savage. At Pitt he was often described - though lacking in many refinements - as having the Brady thing - vision/decision/precision. I traded for him in both my deep dynasties last yr thinking the Hoyer/Mallett thing would play out in Hou and '16 would be his year

Players on IR can often be good deep stashes as they're forgotten.  So guys like Keith Marshall, Josh Doctson, and Ameer Abdullah. 

Free agency can as well, although no big RBs have FA coming up outside of Latavius Murray.  For that reason Richard and Washington are potential keepers.  

Sometimes grabbing guys behind injury prone/oft-suspended players also works.  Gillislee, Deangelo Williams (both likely rostered but if), in the possible event of an injury or suspension. There are of course other players but where the situation is murkier. 

I also like guys like Eli Rogers and Malcom Mitchell (who may be rostered).  Or guys like Boyd.  Players that have shown something and are young.  It can take a WR a year or two to hit his stride, so rookies are always a good pick with a good QB.  As are 2nd year WRs.  I realise this isn't a revelatory statement, but these are guys I scour for to add before the season ends. 

The one guy I'm unsure of is Josh Gordon.  A real longshot, but maybe worth it. 

Users who are viewing this thread