What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Updated 3 Rounds: 2019 Dynasty Drafts Post Combine Rookie Ranking (1 Viewer)

Updated 1/4/2019 - removed Justin Herbert and Collin Johnson because both are returning to school.

Are there any other players I should have included that are likely to be taken in the first two rounds over the players I listed?   I removed some that are staying in school.  Let me know if I missed any.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dane Brugler currently has RB Joshua Jacobs ranked as his top draft eligible running back, so if he declares where would you slot him in your rankings?

The Athletic's Dane Brugler ranked Alabama junior RB Joshua Jacobs as the seventh-best NFL prospect playing in Monday's National Championship Game.

Five of the first six players on Brugler's list are defensive prospects, with Alabama T Jonah Williams (No. 3) the lone outlier. Then we hit our first skill-position player in Jacobs. Writes the analyst, "From his run power to his athletic cuts, Jacobs is just scratching the surface of his ability – both as a rusher and receiver." Zooming further out to his pure positional draft rankings, Brugler views the 5-foot-10, 216-pounder as the top overall running back prospect for the spring. For the 2018 season to date, Jacobs has rushed for 593 yards (5.4 YPC) and 11 touchdowns. While those numbers may seem surface-level modest, it's important to remember that Alabama has very much taken a committee approach with its backs.

Source: The Athletic 

many reports have Daniel Jones a first round QB and rising. Some mocks have 3 QBs in the first 12 picks. 

If Haskins, Lock, and Jones are taken in the first 15 picks, I'm not sure 2 of the 3 will slip out of round 1 in favor of day 3 RBs. even if these QBs are drafted round 2, I cant see round 5 RBs going higher than them. Especially when people are down on the depth of this crop of rbs. 

many reports have Daniel Jones a first round QB and rising. Some mocks have 3 QBs in the first 12 picks. 

If Haskins, Lock, and Jones are taken in the first 15 picks, I'm not sure 2 of the 3 will slip out of round 1 in favor of day 3 RBs. even if these QBs are drafted round 2, I cant see round 5 RBs going higher than them. Especially when people are down on the depth of this crop of rbs. 
Even in a good year I don't include many QBs in the first 2 rounds of dynasty drafts.  This isn't a good year.  I have Haskins as the only one right now.

The QBs will rise like they always do in this league desperate for QBs.

At this time last year Baker was an NFL 2nd rounder and people were saying Lamar Jackson should switch to WR because he wouldn't get picked in the first 2 days at QB.

The QBs will rise like they always do in this league desperate for QBs.

At this time last year Baker was an NFL 2nd rounder and people were saying Lamar Jackson should switch to WR because he wouldn't get picked in the first 2 days at QB.
Perhaps Jones, but I don't see someone like Lock getting drafted in the first two rounds of dynasty drafts.  Haskins for sure will get drafted in round 2.  Of course this is not including leagues that start 2QBs. 

Even in a good year I don't include many QBs in the first 2 rounds of dynasty drafts.  This isn't a good year.  I have Haskins as the only one right now.
interesting. fair enough I suppose. I disagree, obviously, but I understand your approach here. 

I'd say 2019 is a better year than 2020 overall. not as good as 2018 of course but still very solid. depends where these guys go. Miami may he a wasteland but Denver or Washington may be great situations. 

Updated for Josh Jacobs RB Alabama and Irv Smith TE Alabama and removed Bryce Love because of ACL Tear reported in another thread.

Bryan Edwards is a criminal exclusion.

Parris Campbell is a thoroughbread, but he's not at all a developed WR.  Everyone is gonna want to say "bigger Tyreek Hill" which is true to some extent but Hill has shown strong ball skills downfield and Campbell rarely operates there.  It's all screens/jet or wide open field crossing plays.  Plus he needs the magic pairing like Hill got with Reid - where is that now that he'll get the touches?  One of my favorite Buckeyes ever but not someone I'll be adding in drafts.

Bryan Edwards is a criminal exclusion.

Parris Campbell is a thoroughbread, but he's not at all a developed WR.  Everyone is gonna want to say "bigger Tyreek Hill" which is true to some extent but Hill has shown strong ball skills downfield and Campbell rarely operates there.  It's all screens/jet or wide open field crossing plays.  Plus he needs the magic pairing like Hill got with Reid - where is that now that he'll get the touches?  One of my favorite Buckeyes ever but not someone I'll be adding in drafts.
Edwards announced he is returning for his Sr season. 

Hankmoody said:
Hmm, I missed that, and am pretty shocked and badly disappointed by that.  Thanks.  DLF still has him for 2019
I was hoping to steal him in the 2nd.

Not a Noah Fant fan JohnnyU?
I am somewhat, but I have a hard time ranking TEs in the first two rounds.  Too risky.  Just look at two of the top rated TEs from last year, such as Gesicki and Hurst. It looks like Andrews is the TE to have in Baltimore.

I am somewhat, but I have a hard time ranking TEs in the first two rounds.  Too risky.  Just look at two of the top rated TEs from last year, such as Gesicki and Hurst. It looks like Andrews is the TE to have in Baltimore.
2018 was a pretty bad year for te. 2019 is loaded. hard to believe a te would be drafted late round 1 or round 2 in the NFL draft and end up in a rookie draft below a rb who goes round 5. 

Some elite tes in this class, and a lot of older guys and ho hum players at the position in the NFL. just oozing with opportunity. 

I'd be pretty happy spending an early 2nd rounder on a te. wont pan out year 1, as the vast majority dont, but that doesnt mean they wont ever pan out. rookie draft is less about talent and more about opportunity. 

After doing a few hours of research I made the following changes:  Added Anthony Ratliff-Williams, Stanley Morgan Jr, David Sills, Deebo Samuel, removed Parris Campbell, Anthony Johnson, and Justice Hill, Irv Smith.  Moved Elijah Holyfield up.  Moved J Arcega-Whiteside ahead of Riley Ridley.  Moved Damien Harris down.

After doing a few hours of research I made the following changes:  Added Anthony Ratliff-Williams, Stanley Morgan Jr, David Sills, Deebo Samuel, removed Parris Campbell, Anthony Johnson, and Justice Hill, Irv Smith.  Moved Elijah Holyfield up.  Moved J Arcega-Whiteside ahead of Riley Ridley.  Moved Damien Harris down.
details as to why the move ups? nothing major just trying to figure out what changed your mind

details as to why the move ups? nothing major just trying to figure out what changed your mind
Decided the above changes because of what I read pros/ cons from several websites that I didn’t know all the information on the players involved in the move one way or the other.  To go along with what I already knew.

Decided the above changes because of what I read pros/ cons from several websites that I didn’t know all the information on the players involved in the move one way or the other.  To go along with what I already knew.
I love Holyfield and Arcega-Whiteside is moving up my chart as well. just like to hear what others are thinking

ETA: I think your round 1 is spot on. Maybe one thing I would change. Where we disagree most is round 2, which is such a crapshoot predraft I think. 

Anymore players declare or say they’re staying in school?

Some movement following combine results.
I think your first 12 are possibly spot on to what I'd see in my draft. maybe some exception in the top 3 depending on need/preference.

2nd round is always a crapshoot. 

I think Murray will go early round 2 after his combine. Elijah Holyfield should be a 3rd or UDFA.

I think your first 12 are possibly spot on to what I'd see in my draft. maybe some exception in the top 3 depending on need/preference.

2nd round is always a crapshoot. 

I think Murray will go early round 2 after his combine. Elijah Holyfield should be a 3rd or UDFA.
Anyone that takes Murray before the 3rd rd in rookie drafts are making big mistake IMO.

Anyone that takes Murray before the 3rd rd in rookie drafts are making big mistake IMO.
possibly but then hype is real. also just speaking based on my league...  last year qb1-3 went 2.4-2.6.

Also there are some questionable prospects in round 2. I may want to take a shot at a star qb than a bust backup rb

I think you hit the first round out of the park with two exceptions: I think Marquis Brown gets a bump after the draft, and you completely omitted Miles Sanders, who I can say will not go undrafted in any league, much less make it out of round 1 IMO

And who is Tyler Murray? :)

I think you hit the first round out of the park with two exceptions: I think Marquis Brown gets a bump after the draft, and you completely omitted Miles Sanders, who I can say will not go undrafted in any league, much less make it out of round 1 IMO

And who is Tyler Murray? :)
Oops, brain fart on Murray's first name.  I forgot Miles Sanders and will put him in now.

Oops, brain fart on Murray's first name.  I forgot Miles Sanders and will put him in now.
I figured it was an autocorrect. 

Itll be interesting to see what happens post draft, but I can see Marquis Brown and Miles Sanders pushing those TEs down a little. Andy Isabella could sneak into the 1st as well. I see both TEs going early round 2 unless it's a TE premium league. 

Many mocks at DFL have Miles Sanders going as RB1 or RB2. I wont give away my targets by saying if I agree or not, but I can see him pushing down some of the TEs since RB are a premium in rookie drafts. 

Also Murray could go late round 1 in some leagues too. 

I think you've got the top half of the 1st  nailed down. it's a matter of preference for the lower half. Round 2 is a crapshoot

I figured it was an autocorrect. 

Itll be interesting to see what happens post draft, but I can see Marquis Brown and Miles Sanders pushing those TEs down a little. Andy Isabella could sneak into the 1st as well. I see both TEs going early round 2 unless it's a TE premium league. 

Many mocks at DFL have Miles Sanders going as RB1 or RB2. I wont give away my targets by saying if I agree or not, but I can see him pushing down some of the TEs since RB are a premium in rookie drafts. 

Also Murray could go late round 1 in some leagues too. 

I think you've got the top half of the 1st  nailed down. it's a matter of preference for the lower half. Round 2 is a crapshoot
Only 12 can fit in the first round of a 12 team league.  Saying so many could slip in the first round isn't physically possible when you look at who's available. 

Only 12 can fit in the first round of a 12 team league.  Saying so many could slip in the first round isn't physically possible when you look at who's available. 
Right. Which is why I said Fant and Hockenson would go early round 2. I mentioned 2 players that IMO slip into round 1, and 2 who would fall out. For Murray, some in his thread have said they would take him round "easy," however that's not where I would say he'd go on average. 

I've seen Isabella below Emanuel Hall and Campbell.  I suppose I could see him going mid-2nd, but who would you put him ahead of at the top of the 2nd round?   Perhaps I have Singletary too high, but that is mostly where I think he will go, not where I would draft him.  I can't see Isabella going before M Brown, Sanders,  Ridley, Harris, or Irv Smith.  So where would he go except mid to late 2nd round?

I've seen Issabella below Emanuel Hall and Campbell.  I suppose I could see him going mid-2nd, but who would you put him ahead of at the top of the 2nd round?  
Hall is underrated in general, which is interesting, so I can see Hall ranked higher in some cases, but I'm not sure hes ahead of Isabella. I like Campbell a lot, but hes a similar talent as Isabella and I think Isabella is better. 

There is just a lot of hype around Isabella. I've seen him mocked to GB or NE round 1. I think he should be drafted later, but if he ends up a 1st or 2nd round NFL pick, I'd be surprised(and personally happy) if he fell out of round 1. 

I'd put Isabella ahead of: every WR below Marquis Brown on that list, and maybe even ahead of Brown (I'm not a fan of Brown's size. if I personally had to choose between Isabella and Marquis Brown, I would draft Isabella)

ETA: I would probably take Isabella over Samuel too

I think your list is pretty solid JohnnyU.

I haven't watched Isabella yet so no idea where I would slot him right now.

Just looking at your list I think Riley Ridley is too high at 2.04 and maybe Isabella goes as high as this in rookie drafts now?

I dunno Isabella seems like the hot flavor of the week right now.

Hall is underrated in general, which is interesting, so I can see Hall ranked higher in some cases, but I'm not sure hes ahead of Isabella. I like Campbell a lot, but hes a similar talent as Isabella and I think Isabella is better. 

There is just a lot of hype around Isabella. I've seen him mocked to GB or NE round 1. I think he should be drafted later, but if he ends up a 1st or 2nd round NFL pick, I'd be surprised(and personally happy) if he fell out of round 1. 

I'd put Isabella ahead of: every WR below Marquis Brown on that list, and maybe even ahead of Brown (I'm not a fan of Brown's size. if I personally had to choose between Isabella and Marquis Brown, I would draft Isabella)

ETA: I would probably take Isabella over Samuel too
Ouch, not me.  I don't see how Isabella can possibly go higher than mid to late 2nd in most dynasty drafts.

Ouch, not me.  I don't see how Isabella can possibly go higher than mid to late 2nd in most dynasty drafts.
Hes hot right now. That's about it. 

To answer your question about specific players

Ridley's value has tanked, at least from what I've read. 

Irv Smith... I wouldnt take a TE until round 2 unless its TE premium. I like Smith more lately, and maybe he moves up. I think you have a strong case there. 

Sanders... no comment without giving my rankings away. 

Marquis Brown I would probably have off my draft list. I've seen him in rookie draft mocks from 1.3 to 2.3. That seems to summarize what people think of him. 

Samuel I like a lot, probably equal to Isabella so it depends on destination. Isabella has a higher ceiling imo 

Users who are viewing this thread