What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

U-M officials knew about sexual misconduct allegations, but didn't act in 3 incidents (1 Viewer)

This month we’ve learned the University of Michigan is facing a version of the same problem that has recently beset Penn State, Ohio State, and Michigan State: A former staff member has been accused of sexually abusing students.

Former patients have claimed Dr. Bob Anderson engaged in unnecessary exams and inappropriate contact with male students. The complaints about Anderson were sufficient by 1979 for Anderson’s supervisor to relieve him of his duties at the University’s Student Health Services.

https://www.michiganradio.org/post/bacon-instead-worrying-about-damage-control-michigan-leaders-need-start-truth

https://www.freep.com/story/news/education/2020/02/24/u-m-sexual-misconduct-philbert-anderson-david-daniels/4831033002/

who knew?

so the administration demoted the doctor, a known sexual predator and reassigned him to become the football team doctor under Bo and Lloyd for a mere 24 years. And this was all covered up until just recently. Wild.

We will see how they handle it from here, but so far it’s been disgraceful. I have sent an email to the President stating that he needs to conduct a thorough, transparent investigation. Let’s hope they do so. 

So...30 plus year coverup.  Where’s Ward Manuel? Where’s Jim Harbaugh. This all took place during the time they played there.

I know this is very exciting for you but I'm not sure why Manuel or Harbaugh would say anything/be involved.

What I am trying to figure out is if MI is handling this properly now. Its obvious it was a disaster for 35 years. And its going to cost them a lot of money and anyone associated with that time that is still around should be fired and/or imprisoned if they knew about it.

But here is the latest statement from M - 

Responding to the lawsuits, UM spokeswoman Kim Broekhuizen said, "We share the same goal of gathering all the facts, including understanding the full scope of the harm caused by Dr. Robert E. Anderson and the institutional failings of the university." 

"We have committed to publicly share the independent firm's report," Broekhuizen said. "For there to be a transparent reckoning of the full history, we again encourage all witnesses and former patients to come forward and share their stories."

She added that university is offering counseling services to anyone affected by Anderson. 

"We are partnering with Presidium, a national firm with extensive experience facilitating confidential and sensitive support services. No contact with the university will be required in order to access the services," she said.

--

It sounds like they are handling it better than previous Universities. It sounds like they are saying the right things. I just don't know if they are walking the walk also.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is very exciting for you but I'm not sure why Manuel or Harbaugh would say anything/be involved.

What I am trying to figure out is if MI is handling this properly now. Its obvious it was a disaster for 35 years. And its going to cost them a lot of money and anyone associated with that time that is still around should be fired and/or imprisoned if they knew about it.

But here is the latest statement from M - 

Responding to the lawsuits, UM spokeswoman Kim Broekhuizen said, "We share the same goal of gathering all the facts, including understanding the full scope of the harm caused by Dr. Robert E. Anderson and the institutional failings of the university." 

"We have committed to publicly share the independent firm's report," Broekhuizen said. "For there to be a transparent reckoning of the full history, we again encourage all witnesses and former patients to come forward and share their stories."

She added that university is offering counseling services to anyone affected by Anderson. 

"We are partnering with Presidium, a national firm with extensive experience facilitating confidential and sensitive support services. No contact with the university will be required in order to access the services," she said.

--

It sounds like they are handling it better than previous Universities. It sounds like they are saying the right things. I just don't know if they are walking the walk also.
This is not exciting. It’s sickening and umaa is just another example of the culture of college sexual assault and pattern of denial, inaction and information suppression that espn and the rest of the media were all over with the Nassar situation. 

Media was all over Izzo and Dantonio about a guy (Nassar) neither one had met or had anything to do with. Media all over Paterno with Sandusky. But Anderson was the football team doctor when Manuel and Harbaugh were players. Seems they had to have at least known the doctor and some contact with him in that capacity. Just find it interesting that neither has even given a “No Comment” comment. 

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2020/03/06/um-sorry-pain-caused-doctor-doesnt-address-ag-request/4973188002/

UM 'sorry for pain' caused by doctor, doesn't address AG request.

The University of Michigan issued a statement Friday that apologized for the alleged sexual assaults of the late Dr. Robert E. Anderson — but it didn't address a key issue raised by the Michigan attorney general to avoid "half-truths.”

"We are sorry for the pain caused by the failures of our beloved University," said the statement, attributed to UM President Mark Schlissel and the Board of Regents. "The allegations that have surfaced sadden and disgust us."

UM's statement follows two press conferences this week that included several men who alleged abuse by Anderson and several women who suffered abuse from Michigan State doctor Larry Nassar. Former Attorney General Mike Cox filed the first nine lawsuits against the university and said more are coming Friday.

All have demanded transparency and accountability regarding Anderson, who allegedly sexually assaulted men, athletes and others while he was the head of University Health Service and the team doctor for the Athletic Department between 1968-2003.

UM hired an independent law firm, Steptoe & Johnson, to do an independent investigation in Anderson.

On Thursday, the team of lawyers and women that took down Nassar at Michigan State also called for an investigation to  be launched by Attorney General Dana Nessel's office. Nessel said that her team would take on the investigation b the university would have to commit to waive privilege so the full truth could be uncovered. Her office has been involved in an investigation of Nassar at MSU but 6,000 documents have not been released because of attorney-client privilege.

"When you conduct an investigation, you want to know that you haven’t left any stone unturned," Nessel said. "And what we discovered with MSU was there was no way to do that without them waiving privilege. So you’re getting half-truths.”

University officials did not immediately respond when asked if the university would waive privilege so Nessel could launch an investigation.

"We are profoundly grateful to our courageous alumni who have stepped forward to hold our University accountable," said the statement. "We stand committed to the thorough, independent and transparent investigation launched by an external firm into the disgraceful behavior that has been reported."

Seems like a pretty ridiculous request on the part of the AG that she knows won’t go anywhere. 

Doesn’t hurt umaa’s case that the AG is also a Michigan grad. 

Nassar found himself on the business end of a shiv last night ... stable condition, but story developing

:popcorn:
It's always very interesting to me how even prison inmates seem to draw the line with certain crimes. They always say anyone who messed with children will be a target behind bars.

Nassar found himself on the business end of a shiv last night ... stable condition, but story developing

Sympathy can be found in the dictionary, and almost none amongst his victims and their families.

Michigan State University did make payouts for his disgraceful acts. The black eye on MSU will take years to go away though.

Michigan State, which was accused of missing chances over many years to stop Nassar, agreed to pay $500 million to more than 300 women and girls who were assaulted by him. USA Gymnastics and the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic Committee made a $380 million settlement.

It's always very interesting to me how even prison inmates seem to draw the line with certain crimes. They always say anyone who messed with children will be a target behind bars.

there are any number of old wives tales about life in the can, but that certainly ain't one of 'em

Sympathy can be found in the dictionary, and almost none amongst his victims and their families.

I'm sure they're sitting vigil atm

there are any number of old wives tales about life in the can, but that certainly ain't one of 'em

I'm sure they're sitting vigil atm
I know someone who went to prison for allegedly kid touching. He told me that doesn’t happen. Just about everyone wants to do their time and get out. The problem is the kids who want street cred that make all the problems.

Users who are viewing this thread