What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tyler Eifert, TE (JAC) (2 Viewers)

Is he still considered a top10 TE?
I think he pushes for top 5 next season, just needs to stay healthy.
My issue with Eifert is that people are so quick to label every other position as "injury prone" yet TE doesn't seem to be a problem. It seems to me he is dangerously close to being in that label. Sure he played most of his rookie season and I know there's a huge TE learning curve, but could he always be a "what-if?" player in the case that we're always waiting for him to be that top5 TE everyone had him pegged as? Everyone seems to be optimisitic about his return but I don't get why, when he has played he hasn't been a huge part of the offense.

Basically 0 chance they bring back Gresham.
I think they would bring him back if he gets no other suitors and they can get him as a bargain. But the fact that Gresham graded out as the #1 pass blocker in the league will probably garner some interest from other teams even if his pass catching duties are lessened.
Gresham was a malcontent on a team with very few of those (at least very few that are known publicly).

Someone else will overpay him. Of that I have no doubt.

He used to break tackles after the catch - he stopped doing that the last 2 years.

I'm about 75% convinced that he didn't play hurt in the playoff game to preserve is value on the FA Market.

I can see the Bengals spending a mid-round pick on a TE (though TBH Hewitt wasn't half bad when used as a TE).

I think it'll be clear sailing for Eifert with injuries the only concern. He'll be a bargain next year.

-QG

My issue with Eifert is that people are so quick to label every other position as "injury prone" yet TE doesn't seem to be a problem. It seems to me he is dangerously close to being in that label. Sure he played most of his rookie season and I know there's a huge TE learning curve, but could he always be a "what-if?" player in the case that we're always waiting for him to be that top5 TE everyone had him pegged as? Everyone seems to be optimisitic about his return but I don't get why, when he has played he hasn't been a huge part of the offense.
I think Gronk putting up cartoon number when healthy has perhaps made people less gunshy about injury-prone TEs :)

-QG

That's a stretch To say he pushes for top 5 basically means you're putting him in your top 7 through 10...

Gronk

Graham

Olsen

Bennett

Julius Thomas

Kelce

Cameron

Gates (anyone want to guarantee his fall off year? He was top 4 this year)

That's eight. I'd put Ertz, Heath Miller, Larry Donnell and Witten to outproduce him too.

It's really tough for me to put him above anyone on that list in terms of a next year performance. I have Eifert in two dynasty leagues and I'm not moving him, but if he cracks top ten I would be very happy. The injury to the elbow was very much a freak one, and he looked good in the three catches prior to that, but a year away from playing professional football

I'm not sure why you say he's "dangerously close" to being labeled as injury prone? The injury he suffered was very much a freak injury - elbow pulled from the socket. The news around the shoulder injury that he underwent surgery on was a little surprising, but struck me as a cleanup/scope that he would have played through had he not suffered the elbow injury. He played 15 of 17 games in rookie year, but ended on the shelf.

I'm not as optimistic as those who claim he'd push for a top 5 finish next year, but I could easily see him jumping into the later TE1 discussion (i.e. 8-12). I definitely can't call the guy injury prone here though.

QuizGuy66 said:
zamboni said:
cheese said:
Basically 0 chance they bring back Gresham.
I think they would bring him back if he gets no other suitors and they can get him as a bargain. But the fact that Gresham graded out as the #1 pass blocker in the league will probably garner some interest from other teams even if his pass catching duties are lessened.
Gresham was a malcontent on a team with very few of those (at least very few that are known publicly).Someone else will overpay him. Of that I have no doubt.

He used to break tackles after the catch - he stopped doing that the last 2 years.

I'm about 75% convinced that he didn't play hurt in the playoff game to preserve is value on the FA Market.

I can see the Bengals spending a mid-round pick on a TE (though TBH Hewitt wasn't half bad when used as a TE).

I think it'll be clear sailing for Eifert with injuries the only concern. He'll be a bargain next year.

-QG
Eifert, Hewitt and Gresham essentially play different positions. Move, H-back and in-line. If Gresham leaves I'm pretty sure they'll spend a mid/high pick on an in-line TE. Hewitt is playing the role they tried to get Orson Charles to learn, which is an important position in Hue's offense. It's a FB/TE hybrid whereas Eifert is a WR/TE hybrid.

Gresham is reportedly unpopular with some of the coaching staff since he is so unreliable, in part because of not playing through injuries and in part because of his penalties, fumbles and other brainfarts.

But Gresham leaving doesn't have a lot to do with Eifert's playing time and usage. Eifert's usage is a formation/tactical issue, not a depth chart issue. And considering the lack of depth at WR, which has become painfully obvious, one would think that there would have been a large role for Eifert this year if not injured.

Just because Hewitt played a lot of Hback this year doesn't mean he can't play inline TE next year. They could get someone else for that role, but i think they'll try Hewitt.

Agree with your point on Eifert. He will be off the line catching passes and one of our top options if healthy.

Just because Hewitt played a lot of Hback this year doesn't mean he can't play inline TE next year. They could get someone else for that role, but i think they'll try Hewitt.

Agree with your point on Eifert. He will be off the line catching passes and one of our top options if healthy.
True, but Hewitt is working so well at H-back and special teams so I'd think that they stick with him there and rather find someone else to play in-line. Hewitt primarily played fullback in college, at least the last two years.

Been getting a lot of lowballish offers for Eifert in my leagues from several different owners. Seems to be a trendy buy low target.

I'm a big fan and won't sell. I think he's one of the top 2 TE prospects of the last five draft classes along with Ebron.

Gresham and Hewitt don't worry me from a dynasty standpoint. The only roadblock is health.

As long as the elbow clears up, he should be primed for good things and soon.

That's a stretch To say he pushes for top 5 basically means you're putting him in your top 7 through 10...

Gronk

Graham

Olsen

Bennett

Julius Thomas

Kelce

Cameron

That's eight. I'd put Ertz, Heath Miller, Larry Donnell and Witten to outproduce him too.

It's really tough for me to put him above anyone on that list in terms of a next year performance. I have Eifert in two dynasty leagues and I'm not moving him, but if he cracks top ten I would be very happy. The injury to the elbow was very much a freak one, and he looked good in the three catches prior to that, but a year away from playing professional football
That's your 8, not my 8. I did say a chance for top 5, but will admit the TE's who have a chance to be top 5 is a pretty wide net. To me it's Gronk/Graham followed by Olsen and than a wide open field.

It's early and lot's unknowns. Will Julius and Cameron stay? Who will be the new OC and maybe QB in Chicago and what impact will that have on Marty B? Is Ertz going to continue in his limited role who grow into more of an every down player. Not to get off subject but in terms of pure talent I put Ertz as TE3 and someone I genuinely feel is pretty close to that Gronk/Graham kind of upside if used in that manner.

So lots can change but right now I for sure have him over everyone you referenced in that second tier and right in the mix with guys like Cameron, Marty B, Kelce, Gates and Thomas.

If this sounds to high to you that's fine but keep in mind rookie TE's generally don't do jack but they usually take second year leaps if they ever will. I think Eifert was on his way last year.

Been getting a lot of lowballish offers for Eifert in my leagues from several different owners. Seems to be a trendy buy low target.

I'm a big fan and won't sell. I think he's one of the top 2 TE prospects of the last five draft classes along with Ebron.

Gresham and Hewitt don't worry me from a dynasty standpoint. The only roadblock is health.

As long as the elbow clears up, he should be primed for good things and soon.
Yes, I've seen some trades where he has gone very cheap so his value seems to be all over the place.

Rotoworld:

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis confirmed at the Combine that Tyler Eifert (shoulder/elbow) is on track for 2015 training camp.
Coming off elbow and shoulder surgeries, Eifert's rehab has been setback free. Although it came in a limited sample size, Eifert appeared to be a big part of OC Hue Jackson's game plan in Cincinnati's Week 1 win over Baltimore last year. Eifert will be a sleeper with low-end TE1 potential in 2015.

Source: Coley Harvey on Twitter
Feb 19 - 4:34 PM

Rotoworld:

Bengals coach Marvin Lewis confirmed at the Combine that Tyler Eifert (shoulder/elbow) is on track for 2015 training camp.
Coming off elbow and shoulder surgeries, Eifert's rehab has been setback free. Although it came in a limited sample size, Eifert appeared to be a big part of OC Hue Jackson's game plan in Cincinnati's Week 1 win over Baltimore last year. Eifert will be a sleeper with low-end TE1 potential in 2015.

Low end TE1 potential? Gresham had 62/460/5 last year...think about that.

Rotoworld:

Very different player. Agreed that Hue didn't use his TE last season. But how much was Gresham's skillset vs scheme? I like Eifert next season. He fits well what Hue figures to want to do in the passing game,

Last edited by a moderator:
Rotoworld:

Yeah, it's a dumb thing to write. There are like 30 TEs with low TE1 potential, and Eifert clearly has the potential to be more than a low TE1.

(Rotoworld) The Bengals are banking on Tyler Eifert realizing his first-round potential this season. Analysis: Eifert appeared set to make a leap as an NFL sophomore last season, but dislocated his elbow in Week 1 and never returned. The Bengals have since let Jermaine Gresham go and are woefully thin in the tight end room, leaving Eifert with every-down potential. He's a sneaky bet for back-end TE1 production.

Gronk

Graham

Olsen

Bennett

Julius Thomas

Kelce

Cameron

That's your 8, not my 8. I did say a chance for top 5, but will admit the TE's who have a chance to be top 5 is a pretty wide net. To me it's Gronk/Graham followed by Olsen and than a wide open field.

It's early and lot's unknowns. Will Julius and Cameron stay? Who will be the new OC and maybe QB in Chicago and what impact will that have on Marty B? Is Ertz going to continue in his limited role who grow into more of an every down player. Not to get off subject but in terms of pure talent I put Ertz as TE3 and someone I genuinely feel is pretty close to that Gronk/Graham kind of upside if used in that manner.

So lots can change but right now I for sure have him over everyone you referenced in that second tier and right in the mix with guys like Cameron, Marty B, Kelce, Gates and Thomas.

If this sounds to high to you that's fine but keep in mind rookie TE's generally don't do jack but they usually take second year leaps if they ever will. I think Eifert was on his way last year.
Heard today Ertz has been working on blocking with Hudson Houck. THAT should not be ignored because if Ertz learned 50% of what Houck can teach, Celek just became a lot less valuable and Ertz just became a lot MORE valuable.

Rotoworld:

Bengals TE Tyler Eifert (elbow and shoulder surgeries) confirmed he'll be ready for training camp.

"That's why I'm excited now," Eifert said. "I'm feeling strong, feeling healthy. Not in any pain. It feels good." With Jermaine Gresham out of the picture, Eifert will be the Bengals' unquestioned No. 1 tight end this season, though the team did spend a third-round pick on Tyler Kroft. Kroft was primarily an in-line tight end for Rutgers last season, but has solid pass-catching skills. Nevertheless, Eifert will be in the low-end TE1 conversation.

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer
May 4 - 3:23 PM

I've been trying to get stock in Eifert since I watched Gresham's tape from last year. They FED him the ball. TE screens with a guy that looked like an OL with the ball. I don't want to attack Gresham but if Eifert just gets the same treatment as Gresham (and stays healthy) there is no way he isn't a top 10 TE. To be honest I expect him to finish top 5 with an legitimate shot at top 3.

I've been trying to get stock in Eifert since I watched Gresham's tape from last year. They FED him the ball. TE screens with a guy that looked like an OL with the ball. I don't want to attack Gresham but if Eifert just gets the same treatment as Gresham (and stays healthy) there is no way he isn't a top 10 TE. To be honest I expect him to finish top 5 with an legitimate shot at top 3.
Can he block well enough yet?

Didn't they draft the Rutgers guy who is also a very good blocking TE?

I have no doubt Eifert is a better receiver but it seems to me his trouble is getting on the field when he's not the best blocker. Time wise, maturity, it'd be about time for him to have grown as a blocker. I'd just like to hear Marvin or someone say he finally hit that point.

It's also way more difficult as a player to enter a game and be a known receiving threat than an every down TE.

Can he block well enough yet?Didn't they draft the Rutgers guy who is also a very good blocking TE?

I have no doubt Eifert is a better receiver but it seems to me his trouble is getting on the field when he's not the best blocker. Time wise, maturity, it'd be about time for him to have grown as a blocker. I'd just like to hear Marvin or someone say he finally hit that point.

It's also way more difficult as a player to enter a game and be a known receiving threat than an every down TE.
Eifert's blocking abilities were a known liability when he was drafted and it showed up in his rookie season. On the positive side this will be his 3rd year in a training camp setting, so we should hear what progress he has made in that aspect of his game. Eifert's strength is that he is highly regarded as a seam stretching mismatch in the passing game, and I think that we had a brief glimpse at how the Bengals intended to use him last year when he had those 3 catches on 8 snaps before sustaining that injury. The best thing about him in redraft leagues is that his current ADP in mock drafts on Fantasy Football Calculator have him going very late and he is going to blow that ADP out of the water if he can stay healthy this year.

One of the interesting things about the Bengals is that Dalton is so inaccurate that there is a commonly held belief that Green is the only viable fantasy receiving option. And that view is reinforced by the limited passing offense the Bengals ran last year. When you take into account the season long absence of the WR2 and the receiving TE plus AJ's frequent injuries there is no reason to believe what we saw from Hue's offense in 2014 is what we should expect this year. While Gresham was fed the ball because he was the only in line receiver apart from Sanu that was available to Hue game in and game out, Hue favors the short passing game to the TE and other inside receivers when he's had suitable personnel to do so and it's a scheme that has the not inconsequential result of hiding the weak arm of Hue's QB.There is no reason why this offense can't support fantasy value for receiving options beyond Green if it's executing and opening day vs Oakland likely is when we see that happen.

Rotoworld:

The Cincinnati Enquirer's Paul Dehner Jr. envisions a Tyler Eifert breakout in 2015.

Eifert was pegged for a sophomore breakout last season before his season ended in Week 1 with a dislocated elbow. Now 100 percent healthy, Eifert is flying under the radar a bit, but has as good a chance as any young tight end to make the leap into TE1 territory. The talent is there. He has a chance to finish second on the team in targets behind A.J. Green and be a red-zone factor.

Source: Paul Dehner Jr. on Twitter
Jul 22 - 11:24 AM

Seems to be a lot of hype on him heading into this year. I can see the optimism given that he was highly drafted by the team, good athleticism, and the departure of Graham.

That said, I think too much is being made of the one quarter he played last year when Dalton targeted him a lot. And even if Eifert becomes the second most targeted option this year after Green, there may not be a ton of upside. The Bengals are one of the most run-heavy teams in the league. And when Dalton does throw the ball, Green is clearly going to get a ton of targets and after that you still have Jones, Sanu and a great pass-catching RB in Bernard.

Seems to be a lot of hype on him heading into this year. I can see the optimism given that he was highly drafted by the team, good athleticism, and the departure of Graham.

That said, I think too much is being made of the one quarter he played last year when Dalton targeted him a lot. And even if Eifert becomes the second most targeted option this year after Green, there may not be a ton of upside. The Bengals are one of the most run-heavy teams in the league. And when Dalton does throw the ball, Green is clearly going to get a ton of targets and after that you still have Jones, Sanu and a great pass-catching RB in Bernard.
I tend to believe that Eifert is poised for a "steady-breakout". Just that he'll be a consistent 5 target option and some days he'll have a clunker of 2/24 and some he'll go for 5/78/2 or something. There's a lot of viable options for Dalton on that roster even when they don't run, Marvin Jones is finally healthy, AJ is fully healthy, Sanu is healthy not to mention Gio is a pretty damn good pass catcher as well. I think he's a pretty safe option as a TE2 with some TE1 games but good luck predicting that one. Assuming he stays healthy all year I wouldn't be surprised to see a 75/800/8 season.

75/800/8 is strong TE1 territory, while you did offer a disclaimer that he has TE1 upside, I think those numbers would be remarkable. Coming into a season where AJ Green is finally healthy, Marvin Jones, Sanu, Gio...all these targets need to get divvied up in some reasonable manner before assuming that Eifert has a 100 plus target season in him. I'm very bullish on Andy Dalton to have a bounce back year, and I also think Eifert will have a "breakout" season, assuming his health holds up. I wouldn't be surprised to see Eifert haul in a 60/580/5 type season. And for where he's going in redrafts, that's reasonable value.

With improved health for Green, Jones, Eifert, and Gio, passing attempts should increase. Last year, the Bengals attempted 503 passes; in 2013, they attempted 587. I realize Hue Jackson and Jeremy Hill influenced that drop, but I think this year will fall somewhere in the middle of those two numbers.

Gresham had 79 targets in 15 games last season. If Eifert remains healthy, he should have 100+. If so, IMO he will be a top 10 TE.

Dalton had 482 pass attempts last year, probably conservative with Hue Jackson and I expected him to try to find his balance so let's just assume 500 for 2015.

Call it 150 for AJ (his good year in 2013 was 180, injury year 2014 was 116), Sanu had 98 last year, Marvin had 80 in 2013 so even if you combine all that that's basically 330 targets, which leaves if we're being conservative about 150 targets left for Eifert, Gio, and Hill. Giovanni had 59 in 2014, Hill had 32, which is only ~60 targets for Eifert. So the very conservative side is 60 targets with probably around 45 catches, but that is all assuming Dalton will throw to Eifert as the 6th option which I'm sure everyone here can say that won't be happening. Again assuming he's healthy, that seems to be his floor.

I would expect Sanu's targets to drop significantly. His 98 targets last year were based off of necessity as he was the only one healthy for the majority of the season. I expect Marvin Jones' to go up slightly because I believe he's a better player than Sanu and depth chart (as of now) says Jones is WR2. And as for Eifert he would be the #3 option, which should leave him in the ~80 target range.

Dalton had 482 pass attempts last year, probably conservative with Hue Jackson and I expected him to try to find his balance so let's just assume 500 for 2015.

Call it 150 for AJ (his good year in 2013 was 180, injury year 2014 was 116), Sanu had 98 last year, Marvin had 80 in 2013 so even if you combine all that that's basically 330 targets, which leaves if we're being conservative about 150 targets left for Eifert, Gio, and Hill. Giovanni had 59 in 2014, Hill had 32, which is only ~60 targets for Eifert. So the very conservative side is 60 targets with probably around 45 catches, but that is all assuming Dalton will throw to Eifert as the 6th option which I'm sure everyone here can say that won't be happening. Again assuming he's healthy, that seems to be his floor.

I would expect Sanu's targets to drop significantly. His 98 targets last year were based off of necessity as he was the only one healthy for the majority of the season. I expect Marvin Jones' to go up slightly because I believe he's a better player than Sanu and depth chart (as of now) says Jones is WR2. And as for Eifert he would be the #3 option, which should leave him in the ~80 target range.
That's all sound logic, but that means he gets about exactly what Gresham got last year. If he is considerably better at receiving than Gresham, he should do more with those 80 catches. And if he is better a catcher than Gresham, I would expect him to be used more than Gresham. I don't have any sound logic as to why I believe he will get more than 80, just that he will and will do more YPC and get more TD's than Gresham...

I would definitely feel better if they had a more innovative and creative offensive mind running the offense but I've been buying nonetheless since I believe in his talent and Dalton is a solid QB.

With improved health for Green, Jones, Eifert, and Gio, passing attempts should increase. Last year, the Bengals attempted 503 passes; in 2013, they attempted 587. I realize Hue Jackson and Jeremy Hill influenced that drop, but I think this year will fall somewhere in the middle of those two numbers.

Gresham had 79 targets in 15 games last season. If Eifert remains healthy, he should have 100+. If so, IMO he will be a top 10 TE.
I'm not sure if he can be the TE that catches it in traffic with a DB on his back.

Reminds me too much of Dustin Keller.

Also, fwiw I don't think these pretty TEs that play the slot are as useful in playoff games and tight games as the beast who can catch balls in traffic. There's 8000 games where Tony G or Gates made splendid plays like this but also guys like Mark Bruener or Heath Miller. In a playoff game, I'd rather Miller over Eifert.

I'm not sure if he can be the TE that catches it in traffic with a DB on his back.

Also, fwiw I don't think these pretty TEs that play the slot are as useful in playoff games and tight games as the beast who can catch balls in traffic. There's 8000 games where Tony G or Gates made splendid plays like this but also guys like Mark Bruener or Heath Miller. In a playoff game, I'd rather Miller over Eifert.
Lol...first highlight in the video

Also, his best attribute IMO (and he has a lot of good ones) is his ability to high point the football. So, I really don't think a 5'10 DB is going to give him much trouble securing the ball "in traffic".

I really hope this is his year where he breaks out. He seems like the ideal type of TE in today's game to be able to join those upper Tes in the league.

Lol...first highlight in the video

Also, his best attribute IMO (and he has a lot of good ones) is his ability to high point the football. So, I really don't think a 5'10 DB is going to give him much trouble securing the ball "in traffic".
Funny you chose a route where he is on the sideline when most TEs are beasts over the middle.

I don't doubt you can find some though, I'd just like to see it with regularity.

Gonna blow up this year IMO. Top 5 finish is very possible.

I've had 4 different owners try to get him from me with lowball offers in one of my leagues. I think they're banking on me having a short memory/being impatient because he missed last season, but everyone can see the writing on the wall: big time talent entering his second real season, with no more Gresham to vulture any looks. Definitely a strong hold/buy for me.

Rotoworld:

Tyler Eifert - TE - Bengals

Tyler Eifert declared himself 100 percent on the first day of Bengals camp.

He indeed avoided active/PUP and should be all systems go after suffering a year-ending elbow injury in Week 1 last season, and undergoing a shoulder surgery while he was on the shelf. The 21st overall pick in the 2013 draft, Eifert conceded he hasn't felt 100 percent since 2014 OTAs. Eifert offers some breakout potential and is priced reasonably in most forms of fantasy.

Source: Paul Dehner on Twitter

Jul 30 - 1:34 PM

Rotoworld:

Tyler Eifert has appeared 100 percent healthy in Bengals camp.

Eifert has been wearing a brace on his elbow, but otherwise appears over his injury-ruined 2014. "He’s a first-round draft pick. He has ability," OC Hue Jackson said. "He’s going to be a huge part of what we do." Eifert offers mid-range TE1 upside at a low-end TE1/high-end TE2 draft cost.

Source: bengals.com

Aug 8 - 11:56 AM

Users who are viewing this thread